• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predict the RT and Metacritic score for Batman V Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

Metacritic predictions relative to RT predictions here are way too high. If a blockbuster action flick gets a 75% or so on RT, the MC score will be in the mid 50s to mid 60s range.

SeanC

My spanish is rusty, but from what I could mostly read he criticizes how much is packed into the movie and feels the narrative threads connecting each plot point is weak.

That's...actually pretty damn spot on.

I think it will end up in the 70 percentile, I can see most critics ok with it, but I think overall there are going to be more criticisms with it even if it gets a "good" review.

I mean, I liked it, I wouldn't put it as a rotten movie necessarily with their vague cut-off of what is "fresh" and "rotten," but I far from loved it as well and wouldn't be overly positive despite putting it as a fresh because of necessity.

Movie is going to be polarizing as hell.

guek

Banned
Metacritic predictions relative to RT predictions here are way too high. If a blockbuster action flick gets a 75% or so on RT, the MC score will be in the mid 50s to mid 60s range.
Yeah that's why I included reference scores in the OT but apparently many people didn't notice...

Dont need to know Spanish to see how many times he brings up Marvel

four times

"With the Marvel Cinematic Universe setting box office records, Warner Brothers has decided to start their own series of interconnected movies."

"Batman V Superman is filled with plot points whose only purpose is to catch up with Marvel"

"It is clear the tone is meant to differentiate itself from Marvel"

"Warner Brothers was defeated by its own competitive attitude towards Marvel"

I wouldn't accuse him of being a fanboy. The tone of the review is mostly one of disappointment.

kswiston

Yeah that's why I included reference scores in the OT but apparently many people didn't notice...

People probably don't really compare the two. It's much easier for non-oscar bait to get very high and very low scores on RT, since it's just a see/don't see rating on the individual critic level. A film that almost everyone gave a 3.5-4/5 score to will be in the 90s. A film that almost everyone gave a 2/5 score to will be less than 20. Those same films will likely be in the 70s or the 30s on MC.

I don't know many recent franchise action films other than Fury Road that were able to break into the 90s on Metacritic.

Darkangel

If it turns out to be a good movie, then it will probably get a 70% or slightly below.

Snyder is just too controversial to get an 80%+.

Yager

Banned
four times

"With the Marvel Cinematic Universe setting box office records, Warner Brothers has decided to start their own series of interconnected movies."

"Batman V Superman is filled with plot points who's only purpose is to catch up with Marvel"

"It is clear the tone is meant to differentiate itself from Marvel"

"Warner Brothers was defeated by its own competitive attitude towards Marvel"

I wouldn't accuse him of being a fanboy. The tone of the review is mostly one of disappointment.

Maybe not a fanboy, but there's no need to name Marvel. You can say "this movie is filled with too many plot points" without the need to add the Marvel stuff. I mean, it seems like he's reviewing this as a DC vs Marvel thing than the movie by itself.

Maybe not a fanboy, but there's no need to name Marvel. You can say "this movie is filled with too many plot points" without the need to add the Marvel stuff. I mean, it seems like he's reviewing this as a DC vs Marvel thing than the movie by itself.

His issues with the film stem from a sense of overcrowding in order to play cinematic universe set-up, and he feels that the competition with Marvel is to blame for that. You may say he's wrong, which is valid, but he doesn't praise Marvel on anything in the review.

Well, WB is undeniably going after the cinematic universe money Marvel has stirred up. But I agree that the movie should be judged on its own merits first instead of making "competing with Marvel" the thesis statement. I dont see any Marvel movies opening March 25th, how are they competing?

That said, I dont even know why I am critiquing some guy's review. Maybe Im taking this too serious

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Thought the RT score would be around 80ish, might have to rethink that.

[edit]

Hopefully Snyder doesn't disappoint, I'm one of those weird guys that actually likes his movies. Thought Watchmen was amazing, 300 was great and Man of Steel was mostly good with like 5 really dumb moments.

Is snyder blackmailing someone? Why was he allowed to direct their most critical superhero movies?

WB has a rule that once you make a hit film you get an infinite number of tries to make lightning strike twice, even if all those tries are crap.

See also: The Wachowskis

I said fun movies, not good movies Dash, don't be a pill.

Snyder is clearly a love him or leave him kind of director. I wasn't fucking with ya'll when I said the movie would be divisive.

IconGrist

RT, MC and the debates on this very site suggest otherwise.

See above.

You seem to have an issue understanding that some reviews do not equal worldwide opinion. The very scores you point to paint a different picture against user/audience scores. And even having debates in the first place make what you say a bit pointless. In order for a debate to be had there must be two opinions.

ArmGunar

My spanish is rusty, but from what I could mostly read he criticizes how much is packed into the movie and feels the narrative threads connecting each plot point is weak.

My god that dumb reviewer ... it's getting on my nerves
This man is nobody and a Marvel fanboy, why RT accept this kind of websites ?

He gave London Has Fallen 7/10 fresh, Zoolander 2 8.5/10 fresh
And Room (the oscar nominated one) a 5.5 rotten

RT needs to be more careful with who they consider a critic...

I said fun movies, not good movies Dash, don't be a pill.

Snyder is clearly a love him or leave him kind of director. I wasn't fucking with ya'll when I said the movie would be divisive.

Nah I can believe divisive, it's just the repeat shitposting for 3 years after the movies are out into the sequel threads that I don't understand.

BearPawB

Banned

lol

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's only been 1 review lol

The scuttlebutt so far, at least from a few impressions, is that it might not be all that great.

And it's pretty rare for the first review for these type of movies to be negative. Usually it's all positive then slowly you start getting a couple of negatives ones.

It's anecdotal, of course, but from my experience if it starts negative then it usually doesn't change. I don't think it'll get a ten or something but it'll probably get maybe a 70 rather than the 80-ish I first predicted.

There's absolutely a need to, because this movie is a direct response. This movie didn't get made out of sheer creative will.

Opinions don't discount a reviewer. Kind of the opposite actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom