• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 is outselling Xbox Series Consoles at a rate of about 4 to 1 the last 15 months

XXL

Sniffing his farts? You are too generous.
phil-spencer-cringe.gif

RCU005

This gen is horrible because this time, this ratio of 4:1 doesn't mean anything. It's an empty win for Sony. This gen feels empty.

I am extremely confident that PS5 success is just because the PS4 success had very long legs! People bought the PS5 because everyone was expecting the same level in quantity and quality of games the PS4 had! This is why sales from PS5 have slowed down now. More people are realizing that this gen has been disappointing in many ways, and I'm not even getting into price increases.

Sony will have a lot to prove for PS6. They became arrogant in a worse way that they were on PS3, because that time, they believed they were the best, and they actually proved it! This time, they just have a superiority complex.

playbignbox

Neo Member
This gen is horrible because this time, this ratio of 4:1 doesn't mean anything. It's an empty win for Sony. This gen feels empty.
I have both consoles and honestly the difference between them in practice is almost zero, so I can't see what Sony is doing so well to sell 4x more.

But anyway, users engaged in console wars can celebrate, even if deep down this is one of Sony's worst generations of home consoles.

Alan Wake

It's a shame. Xbox Series X is a great console. This was their comeback generation efter the Xbox One. It looked as if they might have a fighting chance. But then Halo Infinite got delayed and things went south from there. They spent billions of dollars and years of making promises of exclusive games for Xbox and when the games are finally ready for release they ditch the strategy and decide to release them on PlayStation too. It's obvious why they do it but at this point it's hard to justify why anyone should by an Xbox.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

And nobody should be surprised. With xCloud and all games day1 on pc there is little to no reason to buy a Xbox instead of a pc or PS. With Sony going the same route i, as an ascended being, have to say:
gdAKXFQ.jpeg

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
'Sony doomed' narrative is older than somne kids who finished university and now aiming at PhD.

Once again, Xbox failure is Xbox' own problem, not consoles in general lol.

pasterpl

Wasn’t it said already that MS moved on and is working on next gen? They just abandoned this gen, I think they will reach max 50mln units sold after some good discounts (at the end of the day it is an excellent piece of hardware - especially series x).

Soltype

Coming to PS5.

This year has already had tons but people like you think second party games don't count.
Never discredited 2nd party games.We're approaching the end of the fourth year of this generation, and it hasn't been the best. Four years into previous console generations were far more fruitful, this gen just hasn't been that great so far.

SkylineRKR

It's a shame. Xbox Series X is a great console. This was their comeback generation efter the Xbox One. It looked as if they might have a fighting chance. But then Halo Infinite got delayed and things went south from there. They spent billions of dollars and years of making promises of exclusive games for Xbox and when the games are finally ready for release they ditch the strategy and decide to release them on PlayStation too. It's obvious why they do it but at this point it's hard to justify why anyone should by an Xbox at this point.

They fumbled it. And the shortages gave a wrong impression as Series X and PS5 were head to head for a while, because they weren't available. This was in favor of MS who did have an XSS being available. Since the output of next-gen software was slow, GP was actually a very good deal early into this generation, since these consoles thrived on boosted last-gen software and cross gen. MS might've thought that 1. they were doing well going head to head with Sony and 2. they didn't really need next-gen exclusives.

In reality they were being kind of kept relevant by the shortages, pandemia and lack of new software. Once the gates opened MS immediately trailed.

I mean if we are looking at it very objectively, the Series X launch lineup has to be the worst in any consoles history. There wasn't a single new game. Even Sony at least had Demon's Souls, Playroom and... nothing lol.

Nydius

I have both consoles and honestly the difference between them in practice is almost zero, so I can't see what Sony is doing so well to sell 4x more.

There’s no doubt that Sony’s first party release cadence has been weaker this generation compared to the last but they’ve supplemented that with third party exclusives. Microsoft has been abysmal on both first and third party fronts. That’s really the biggest difference. Edit: Also, instead of using their Microsoft warchest to promote their own studios and offer help to third parties in the way Sony does, they spent it all on acquisitions… which has ultimately come back to bite them on the ass.

Plus there’s the fact that Xbox just isn’t a brand that carries much weight outside of the US and UK.

Last edited:
Fixed that for you, also Gears will come to Playstation eventually
I already have a ps5 though and no interest in the pro.

No way they port gears OG trilogy to PS5 but PC would also allow me to play my old favorites like the arkham games, halo games, any PS360 gen game basically. As well as select sony first party ports at higher fidelity.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

I think the games have lost their hype, but it's nice for Xbox players to have the option to play them, I really liked both.

Regarding sales, I believe that Xbox will increase the number of copies sold by a maximum of 10%... which would be a potential of approximately 1kk for both games combined, in addition to a possible deal on Game Pass and addition to xCloud... since the costs of ports are low, I believe it's worth it.
FF7R and FFXV1 rumour take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

But anyway, users engaged in console wars can celebrate, even if deep down this is one of Sony's worst generations of home consoles.

Xbox will increase game sales, meanwhile, I can't believe PS5 is selling well and it's the worst gen for Sony.

Ok, out with it, who's Alt is this?

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Alan Wake

I mean if we are looking at it very objectively, the Series X launch lineup has to be the worst in any consoles history. There wasn't a single new game. Even Sony at least had Demon's Souls, Playroom and... nothing lol.

Indeed it was. No racing game, no new IP, nothing. Even The Medium got pushed back so all they had was... The Falconeer? That's not a launch game. Halo Infinite would've been amazing to have at launch but it was the right call to delay it. Xbox One actually had a decent launch lineup when you look back at it.

BlackTron

Phil's utter mishandling of the XBox hardware will be seen as the biggest disaster in gaming history, once enough time has passed and people have stopped sniffing his farts.

It would have been pretty apparent already without everything they do to try and hide and reframe failure. They spend a helluva lot of money to try and "postpone" the realization that Xbox is dead until the "right moment". Lately it seems they're getting pennies on the dollar back for it too.

buenoblue

Lots of us have no interest in gaming on PC.

Now, once all Xbox games go to PS5 or Switch 2 day one, THEN there really is no reason left to own an Xbox console.
Even more people have no interest gaming on Xbox it seems.

Anyway you totally missed the point of my post lol

BlackTron

No, Its a reality check help and support group. Xbox PTSD is down the aisle to the right sir.

"I've been in this game since first stepping into that red ring of death. Once I thought I walked out, but then found myself right back where I started...in the ring. A never ending circle of regret "

And how many has it been now?

"Only about ten. Look, I need to leave"

No, we're keeping it 10 today. You aren't getting that Series S on our watch buddy.

playbignbox

Neo Member
There’s no doubt that Sony’s first party release cadence has been weaker this generation compared to the last but they’ve supplemented that with third party exclusives. Microsoft has been abysmal on both first and third party fronts. That’s really the biggest difference. Edit: Also, instead of using their Microsoft warchest to promote their own studios and offer help to third parties in the way Sony does, they spent it all on acquisitions… which has ultimately come back to bite them on the ass.

Plus there’s the fact that Xbox just isn’t a brand that carries much weight outside of the US and UK.
I agree that Sony is releasing better first-party games. I'm excited to play Astro Bot and I really enjoyed Helldrivers 2, but I'm not sure if third-party exclusives are sustaining the console efficiently, at least considering my personal taste.

Apart from FF7 Rebirth, which is excellent but unfortunately flopped commercially and the finale of the trilogy should be the last PlayStation exclusive FF, I personally didn't like Rise of the Ronin. The Silent Hill 2 remake isn't giving me much confidence either, but it might surprise me. And I liked Stellar Blade, but I didn't think it was an incredible game and I didn't care much about this addition to the exclusives catalog, since the game was announced as multiplatform before, so it wasn't a partnership that excited me that much.

It may be the way I consume games, but in practice I don't feel that much of a difference in quality between the two consoles for one to be selling 4x more than the other, so much so that my consumption time on the Xbox is sometimes longer than on the PlayStation because of GamePass. I recently played Kunitsu-Gami which is on the service and I really liked it, as well as Doom 1+2... I also intend to play Indiana, Stalker 2, CoD BO6 on Xbox this end of the year.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
I agree that Sony is releasing better first-party games. I'm excited to play Astro Bot and I really enjoyed Helldrivers 2, but I'm not sure if third-party exclusives are sustaining the console efficiently, at least considering my personal taste.

Apart from FF7 Rebirth, which is excellent but unfortunately flopped commercially and the finale of the trilogy should be the last PlayStation exclusive FF, I personally didn't like Rise of the Ronin. The Silent Hill 2 remake isn't giving me much confidence either, but it might surprise me. And I liked Stellar Blade, but I didn't think it was an incredible game and I didn't care much about this addition to the exclusives catalog, since the game was announced as multiplatform before, so it wasn't a partnership that excited me that much.

It may be the way I consume games, but in practice I don't feel that much of a difference in quality between the two consoles for one to be selling 4x more than the other, so much so that my consumption time on the Xbox is sometimes longer than on the PlayStation because of GamePass. I recently played Kunitsu-Gami which is on the service and I really liked it, as well as Doom 1+2... I also intend to play Indiana, Stalker 2, CoD BO6 on Xbox this end of the year.

You listed a multitude of excellent games on PS5 then concluded that there is no difference of quality between them? Because of .... feelings again!

What makes a console better is GAMES not feelings!

playbignbox

Neo Member
FF7R and FFXV1 rumour take :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Xbox will increase game sales, meanwhile, I can't believe PS5 is selling well and it's the worst gen for Sony.

Ok, out with it, who's Alt is this?

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin
Explaining my post that you pulled from another thread to make fun, Crisis Core sold around 6% of total sales on Xbox. Since the main games are more relevant, I made a prediction that they would sell at most around 10% of the total number of sales if they were ported to Xbox... which would be around 500k for each game... at best.

Where exactly do you disagree with this comment? Or are you just a Sony fanboy who got upset because I said this is one of the worst generations of PlayStation home consoles?

Radical_3d

Phil's utter mishandling of the XBox hardware will be seen as the biggest disaster in gaming history, once enough time has passed and people have stopped sniffing his farts.
I don’t think hardware is the problem. I’ve had a SX and it’s a great console. But the absence of software hits in 4 years deep into the generation is what make it weak. PS5 isn’t much better but since it’s the de facto console it didn’t needed to (specially with Xbox dropping the ball like this).

Top Bottom