• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro at $700: ‘Lack of Competition’ Made It an ‘Easier Decision’ for Sony to Run With Higher Price

Totally agree. The first thing I said when I saw the price was 'well they've got no competition at this point, they'll charge whatever they want!'

Absolutely nothing good about a lack of competition for consumers. It means you pay more for less.

Even though I've absolutely no interest in buying another Xbox for the foreseeable future, I'm rooting for them to pull something out of the bag that can at least make them more competitive. Although it's likely that ship has sailed, at least with Phil Spencer steering it anyway.

I doubt it has to do with that, but we won't know until we have a breakdown of parts and costs.
Thing is inflation is real. TSMC is a monopoly. They raised the prices of the base ps5 the other year in Europe and other regions, in normal times the ps5 would of gotten price drops. It should be 399 at least by now for the disc version.

My fear is not for the pro, its not needed, a luxury. My concern is for the ps6. As there isn't many games that even push the base ps5 as it is. We just got one Astrobot , but its more everything than just visuals and it runs great.
If the ps5 pro is this much, how much will the ps6 be? it will be more advanced so it will cost even more. The ps5 cost more than the ps4 pro, so expect the ps6 to be $700+ Which would put many of us, myself included out of the market. PS5 would be my last Sony console at that cost. They have to know this. Problem is because of TSMC, they maybe stuck, without doing a Nintendo and beefing up other parts for next gen instead.
Maybe if there is some chip competition, but no one is stepping up.

They really shouldn't of released the pro, imo, its not needed. We don't have the games for it.

Now say the bill of parts is low and they are inflating the price. Some may say lack of competition from xbox, and that would possibly be a factor, if true, but there is another piece of this equation. Scalpers and people who couldn't wait. They showed Sony that they would buy a ps5 base for $1000 scalped. They showed them that they would spend 2k on a graphics card, many in this here forum. People were idiots, they sent the message that they will buy no matter the cost. That is also partly why graphics cards are the price they are. They know they have the demand. Without that demand they would have to make lesser costing devices or find another way.

Also if xbox had a "pro" model, you really think it too wouldn't be $600-700? They would have to deal with tsmc too (who have raised prices). Probably why they didn't make one yet.

Last edited:

NickFire

So asking a legit question

You don't think Xbox not having a pro console right now to compete didn't make the choice a little easier for Sony to go with $700?
An argument can easily be made that Xbox released its pro model in 2020. But it wouldn't change the premise of this thread, which I whole heartedly agree with. I would also argue that the lack of competition is why online taxes (PS+) went up a year ago, and why the price of controllers (that wear out too easily in my experience) went up this week.

Additionally, I stand by my belief that MS should come out swinging about its plans for future consoles if they intend to stay in the console business. The opportunity to get people thinking about staying in or changing eco-systems next gen is now. I have 3 PS5's at home and zero Xbox's. Right now I know more about MS upcoming games than Sony's. Maybe they are keeping things close to the chest. But we know they've been cancelling stuff, and they seem to have lost touch with their own audience based on the post-release cancellation of Concord.

The same competition that also raised game prices to 70/game, raised subscription prices, raised console prices, etc.

The competition is doing the exact same thing albeit at a slower pace sometimes
Yea, this. I don't get how this is a "no competition thing". Xbox is releasing a new Series X console, which is only adding an extra TB and charging $600. Thought it was pretty obvious the pro was gonna be a minimum of $650 after that.

But even to your point, both MS and other publishers have followed the $70 game model. Even Nintendo charged 70 for ToTK. Subscriptions cost always seem to go up (not even in this industry).

Maybe better competition could help overall, but I think marginally. A lot of what has happened is a industry wide trend.

Whats the Build of materials estimated cost? anyone have a link to someone who has a ballpark? Is this one of the first consoles Sony might be selling at a profit? and what could that margin be?
For information in 2021, the cost of the PlayStation 5 was $450 for Sony and it's probably higher now.

When we don't really know how much it costs Sony to manufacture the PRO, it's complicated to say that they are making a big margin on it even if that could absolutely be the case.

Here's your one console future you've been cheerleading. Next up is $150 base price for games.

It's a limited edition and not a replacement for the base model.
The pro isn't a replacement for the base ps5. Its for rich folk or the people in this sub who spend 2k on a tv or 2k on a gpu. You know the people who are living at home with their parents not paying bills or the 6figures plus people who have no idea how the majority of us have to live with inflation and high priced everything. You seem them on here bragging about getting a $1990 4090ti and a 1k 4k oled monitor.

Braag

Pretty sure I mentioned this several times here that if Xbox stops selling consoles, Sony can start charging more. And this isn't even a generational leap.

SkylineRKR

Both Series X and PS5 cost 500+, with the 2TB Xbox SKU being offered for 600. So, the Pro should have been offered for the same price as these inferior systems? This would never have happened. And for kicks we'll add in Nintendo, who offers the Switch for more like 300 bucks and this device was released in 2017.

I mean, 699 seems to make sense considering the price of all other hardware. The real dick move is the lack of a disc drive and the EU difference.

Topher

Gold Member
Until now, these companies were fine to sell at cost or take a loss on the hardware. Obviously the reason for that is to be competitive with the competition and make the money back on game sales and services. If Xbox were a viable competitor then Sony would find a way to get that price down, starting with making the 2 TB optional. The fact that Microsoft is selling a 2 TB XSX at $599 doesn't help though.

So yeah......this is all Phil Spencer's fault.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Nah Sony just know their fanbase is ready to take anything, internally it was called the PS5 BRO, which stood for Bending Retards Over.

859629.jpg

cireza

Gold Member
I mean, yeah. PS3 was peak arrogant sony, a $600 hard to develop and hard to buy machine. Humble sony with the ps4, semi arrogant with the ps5. Full arrogant with the ps5 pro.
"Our goal for PlayStation 3 is for consumers to think to themselves, 'I will work more hours to buy one,' " Kutaragi told the Japanese magazine Toyo Keizai. "We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

You can't make up that shit.

Last edited:

Kerotan

In other words if you're not rich enough to join me in the top 15% richest PS5 owner's who can afford a Pro cry at Microsoft's pathetic efforts which means Sony can price this reasonably instead of taking a 100$ hit.

SkylineRKR

"Our goal for PlayStation 3 is for consumers to think to themselves, 'I will work more hours to buy one,' " Kutaragi told the Japanese magazine Toyo Keizai. "We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

You can't make up that shit.

Yes this was stupid and 599 was unpredecented in 2006. Because competing systems would cost 399 max.

599 USD in 2006 is same as 935 USD today.

Jesb

This is at a price point where I just don’t see the point. Your better off just going pc where Sonys games go eventually anyway. Over here this will over 1k.

Nordickratos

Neo Member
Microsoft also has very little competition with Gamepass (that's why they raise the price of the service and will continue to do so) And Nintendo doesn't have much competition in the portable market either (we'll see what the price of Switch 2 is).

It seems that each one has found a market to "monopolize".

I remember when that loser moderator from the dark days would post about how a lack of competition was good and that's why the PS2 was such a great console.

Katajx

Of course. Sony is seeing NVIDIA and Apple fleecing their customers. They asked themselves, "why don’t we do it?"
And these are the people that make it into marketing and upper management and gamers think these corporations are their friends and defend them lol

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't know that there was ever a lot of competition in the pro console space. Microsoft having an entry probably wouldn't have impacted prices all that much because most gamers aren't going for this option.

I'll admit I was surprised to see 700 bucks without a disc drive. I was thinking 600 bucks without a drive with Sony also killing the existing base PS5 SKU with drive included and dropping the digital base price back to 400, thus leaving their console SKU's all digital with the drive being an additional purchase. That would have left a base price of 400 and a pro price of 600. Shows what I know.

SABRE220

Definitely this the return of arrogant sony. If xbox was actually somwhat competitive they would have brought out something like the one x forcing sony to price this much more conservatively. Honestly hardware-cost wise this is even more conservative than the ps4 pro yet the consumer is being fleeced as if its a massive piece of hardware.

PaintTinJr

I fail to see how it isn't a fair price for a totally optional mid-gen refresh in a market of PC graphics cards and rising inflation, and with Sony effectively being just a mid sized corporation with a CAP a fraction of Nvidia, Apple and Google who are all making more from gaming while Sony delivers the moon on stick for high end game and expected to live on modest margins even on luxury optional items like this Pro refresh.

A friend against my advice got back into PC gaming 6months back with a top tier PC with RTX4080 ti(edit: meant Super)/ AMD 7900X3D and only on Pro reveal admitted to himself he made a huge mistake, and will now lose more or the same on owning that PC for 6months than the cost of him buying a Pro with disc drive in the UK.

Last edited:
Top Bottom