• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro at $700: ‘Lack of Competition’ Made It an ‘Easier Decision’ for Sony to Run With Higher Price

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I take it you missed my discussion with Topher back at the time the week after he got the PC when I was asked to troubleshoot why he couldn't get it to use bluetooth?

If my gaf search foo was any good I would have found it and quoted it here.
I’m being facetious. Don’t take it seriously.

kevm3

And this is why competition is a good thing and this is why Sony always ends up shooting themselves in a foot when they gain a dominant position. They did this exact same thing when they dominated with PS2 and fumbled during the PS3 era to where the 360 was neck and neck.

Give this a year or so and this price will come tumbling down.

Fake

Gold Member
We both know Nintendo's games are also "available" there, but they keep leaving money on the pocket.

No official talking here dude. No one can market emulation, so out of option.

Nintendo games can only be played on Nintendo consoles period.

Well, even if you take a sales comparison out of the equation, Nintendo has the opportunity to turn Sony's PR loss into an even bigger PR win for themselves, and that's going to uplift their brand image in general while further lowering Sony's by comparison.
Oh I completely agree with you on that point. It's definitely going to have a better reception than Sony did. I guess I took the statement more from a general standpoint and not an initial PR standpoint.

Both consoles will no doubt sell out quickly.
Oh, definitely. Xbox waiving the white flag, weak selection of <$300 gpus, switch 2 a mystery, streaming off to a slow start. And all of those things have been going on for a long time now.

I can see why they can't price drop the base ps5 but there is NO FUCKING WAY there's an extra $250 worth of stuff in there. Sony wants those margins. There's enough people for whom $700 is an impulse buy (must be nice) that sony sacrificed everyone else. If any competitor would have been stronger, sony would have not been able to do this.

Well... maybe they would have done it anyway idk. Seems counter-intuitive though.

Anyway, it's a bummer but play on whatever platform is a good value TO YOU and all will be well. My pc is not big money (maybe $1000?) and it's enough to run wukong at 60. That's a chunk more expensive but the important thing is that I already have it, making this pro somewhat redundant.
Oh there definitely not $250 worth of extra components, but the difference will be making money on every console sold versus breaking even or losing money. I'm sure the PS5 Pro makes money on every sale, and Sony knows that it won't sell the same numbers as the standard PS5 so they might as well make as much money as they can.

There's an argument there that if it was priced better it would sell better but we don't really know how much that change would affect profits.

Puscifer

And this is why competition is a good thing and this is why Sony always ends up shooting themselves in a foot when they gain a dominant position. They did this exact same thing when they dominated with PS2 and fumbled during the PS3 era to where the 360 was neck and neck.

Give this a year or so and this price will come tumbling down.
We're about to hit 4 years into a generation without a price drop

RickMasters

500+ bucks base console…. 800 bucks pro console…… 600 dollar VR headset…… 200 dollar dual sense edge controllers….. 200 bucks for PS portal…..

And you got people defending these prices too! …. Daaaaaamn Sony……. I gotta give credit where it’s due. Playstation domination indeed! 😂😂😂😂😂

Jokes aside…. We are a long way from the days of walking out onto an E3 stage and dropping them “299” one liner bombshells….and that that time they showed us how to share games on PS4. No wonder parents just find it cheaper and easier to buy their kids then for nights points and let em play that on the tablet or a switch.

Maybe hardcore console gaming is becoming so niche that these prices will be the norm. Who wants one will pay the ‘premium’ for it.

I’m super curious to see how what next gen looks like now. What precedent does this console set for the pricing of next gen hardware?

OuterLimits

The whole presentation was extremely underwhelming. The price point with "disc drive not included" made me laugh actually. The high price wouldn't be quite the issue had the presentation actually been really good.

Bernardougf

You say that. I'm worried about the domino effect of Nvidia getting away with their asinine pricing, which led Sony to think they could get away with their asinine pricing, which could have Nintendo following suit. I think the Switch 2 at $400 would seem like a steal at this point to most consumers.
Yeah 699 for current medium-high specs hardware is absurd.. 400 dollars for 10 year old hardware is A Ok. .. the nintendo way of coping... switch 2 will be overpriced just like the pro .. even at 400 . If it comes to 500 then is much much worst

Last edited:
wild takes

Jez is such a cunt lol. His greasy ass neckbeard profile picture also disgusts me.

You would be stupid to not think that Xbox failing so miserably against Sony doesn't have an influence on this. If Sony was going head to head and it was like 50/50 or even 60/40 and Xbox was also going to release a mid-ten refresh then Sony wouldn't have as much freedom in pricing because they would be going up against a competitor on more even ground and against a company that has the means to lose a lot of money in order to try to win.

Right now Sony knows that Microsoft isn't releasing anything and they are already beating them by at least 3:1 (much higher in some regions) so they know they can sort of do whatever they want.

This is why competition is important, and everybody should want all competitors to do well. Sony has no reason to do better when they have it in the bag, and the inverse would be true if the positions had flipped.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Both Series X and PS5 cost 500+, with the 2TB Xbox SKU being offered for 600. So, the Pro should have been offered for the same price as these inferior systems? This would never have happened. And for kicks we'll add in Nintendo, who offers the Switch for more like 300 bucks and this device was released in 2017.

I mean, 699 seems to make sense considering the price of all other hardware. The real dick move is the lack of a disc drive and the EU difference.
I think if they would've included the disc drive at $699, people wouldn't have been thrilled, but they wouldn't feel insulted by the value prop. All the a la carte BS on a "premium" console ultimately bringing it to ~$900 just seems like a slap in the face to most, and it's readily apparent in the near-universal rejection of this console's pricing.

Hunter 99

No competition=👇
Michael Douglas High Quality GIF

Taycan77

Here's your one console future you've been cheerleading. Next up is $150 base price for games.

It's a limited edition and not a replacement for the base model.
The hardcore Xbox community have been crying out for a no holds barred, high end, Xbox console. Instead they gave them the same box with a fresh lick of paint and called it a Limited Edition.

Now they're conflicted and don't know whether to root for a Cloud Gaming Stick or PC costing multiples more than PS5 Pro.

Xbox have made so many dumb decisions over the years they've lost any identity they once had. The remaining console warriors are lashing out and the shill journalists/bloggers making cheap-shots. As a PlayStation consumer I'm happy with the traditional console model and hardware options being offered. I have no interest in the DualSense Edge Pro (or whatever it's called) but I know it's super popular despite a premium price. I'm curious about PS Portal but do all my gaming in the house, so it's not for me. But these are just options that enhance the console experience.

Oh, and I will soon be able to play much of the Xbox catalogue on said hardware.

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

I think Nintendo is about to stomp on them, and rightfully so.

An $800 console refresh is a fucking joke. Maybe if it was bundled with VR for that price.

I thought M$ was stupid as shit when they bumped the Series consoles price this fall.

Now they both want to be Dumb & Dumber.

Unknown?

its a fact thats why fanboys are idiots you dont want the market lead by 1 company. look at nvidia and gpu prices since 2016. sony is now doing the same and this is only the beginning. we need healthy competition.
Nintendo is too though. Switch is still $299. Switch Oled was $399 to condition people on $449-499 on their next handheld.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Or, MS announcing their 2TB box this holiday at $599 made the $100 upcharge for their 2TB with more power that much easier to tag.

Many knew this would happen, many warned people we needed Xbox to keep Sony pricing in check and a lot of people continued to cheer Xbox demise and want them out of the hardware business yet here we are now people want to complain about the pricing of the pro
Xbox didn't even keep themselves in check though. There is a 4 year old $600 box coming this Holiday.

Is that called self immolation then?

iPhones are up, Samsung, TVs, plenty of electronics space competition, and all are up 10% to 20%.

I think it's more to do with taking less of a loss on hardware, combined with massively inflated economies, dollar value destruction, parts sourcing, and development costs.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Price sucks but what really gets me is a Pro console, i.e. premium machine, missing key things like a disc drive and a stand. Is it really premium if you can’t have it all in one purchase?

There is competition, Sony is sleeping. Lots of competition for nearly a grand of disposable income.

I’m sure the majority feel like this is their last console gen aside from Nintendo, and maybe Sony is also Ok with that.

Nelly_Nel_7.1.3

Neo Member
Jez won't let basic economic principles get in the way of his fanboy duties.

What do you expect? Microsoft can’t even come close to Sony/Nintendo sale margins. Nintendo is not all about power and Sony knows that so the gaming market is all theirs for right now.

Yea, Microsoft bought Activision Blizzard for 70 billions (and they trying to go the Netflix route with gaming) but that not what is going to sell the Xbox console especially, if you can play those games on other gaming consoles.

There is no competition for Sony to change their tactics to make their fan base happy anymore. There are just like Apple with the iPhone same phone with a higher price tag.

Sony is definitely going the Apple route and until someone comes along and challenge Sony in the gaming market this is what we are going have to deal with. Cutting features and selling it for a higher price tag. This is what Sony thinks about its fan base.

We are mindless fool willing throw money away to buy their products no matter what it as long it have the Sony name on it. Insult our intelligence and we keep allowing them to do it. Can we really blame them? No. If we speak with our wallet then Sony wouldn’t have the opportunities they have now to cheat and disrespect us as gamers.

Sony doesn’t care about its fans base anymore it has always been about the money (every company is like this). PSVR2 was wasted and now it is sitting in the Sony warehouse collecting dust. $550 for PSV2 same price for the PS5 and you need a PS5 to use it.

The people that bought it Sony abandoned I am not surprised. Make a hardware, sell it for a high price, make your money on it, then abandoned it. Repeat…

The rumors PS Vita 2 is supposed to be coming out 1 or 2 years from now. Once Sony makes their money on the PS Vita 2 then they will abandon that hardware as well if it does not reach it sale numbers.

Prices are only going up now because of the inflation and this will only hurt us consumers because now we will have to decide if we want to keep supporting a company that only care about your wallet instead of its fans who help the PlayStation brand to be what is now.

Xbox giving up is going to cause a chain reaction that leads to the console space outside of Nintendo to completely crash, and even they might not be able to resist jacking things up.

PS6 will easily be at least $800, would not be surprised at all if it's $1k.

Neo Blaster

There's no competition when one platform is doing their own thing with underpowered hardware and the other is releasing their own games on the main competitor.

The only way there's a change in this scenario is that Switch 2 has the same performance as PS4 Pro, or at least base PS4, so the multiplatform games that casuals like can come to it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Of course. Xbox put them in check. Lack of competition means they’ll try their best to come up with very creative ways to screw you over because no one will stop them.

whyman

Nintendo is the competition. Sony just has really shitty leadership atm. Hopefully Switch 2 gets announced before PS5 pro releases so people save their hard earned money.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Of course. Xbox put them in check. Lack of competition means they’ll try their best to come up with very creative ways to screw you over because no one will stop them.
Xbox has been raising prices all gen long as well. So what's their excuse?

Nintendo isn’t competing with Sony in the power space.
No. But all are competing for your time invested.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Lack of competition? People are acting like they wanted Xbox to do better. I dunno about anybody else, but I could point to countless people and posts shitting on Xbox...sometimes deservingly, other times not.

Now Sony is back doing donuts with their collective tongue around its own asshole and people wanna blame Xbox? GTFO of here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And it will be easy as well for me to skip it.

No Thank You Work GIF by Offline Granny!
Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

$599 with a decent gamestop trade in, I might have been swayed
$699 + separate physical drive, no chance. Better to wait another couple of years and get a new generation device.

sendit

Since Xbox 360 all Xbox had to do with make good games
3 generations in and now their strategy is to buy everything and release on other platforms since they basically gave up.
For the last 5 years Phil said the games are coming but when the games actually came now they are also releasing slowly but surely on ps.
Microsoft gaming division should be taught in business schools on how not to do business.
This is the reason Sony is arrogant enough to charge us 700 for a mid gen refresh because their competition is brain dead
Imagine a company with a marketcap of over 2 trillion not a competition to a company that is ~150 bil marketcap. Wild take.

Last edited:

sendit

$599 with a decent gamestop trade in, I might have been swayed
$699 + separate physical drive, no chance. Better to wait another couple of years and get a new generation device.
Trade in your Xbox. Phil is dedicated to making the Playstation family by porting all their games over to that platform.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Strange how no one wants this console and the price is too high yet all the topics on the front page are about it.

Incredible
Not strange at all. Just because something is widely talked about doesn't mean it's good. In this case, many people are laughing at the absurdity of pricing a *Pro console at $800, that lacks features found on the base model. It's a clear example of Sony milking their customers. Play Has No Limits, my ass.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Oh there definitely not $250 worth of extra components, but the difference will be making money on every console sold versus breaking even or losing money. I'm sure the PS5 Pro makes money on every sale, and Sony knows that it won't sell the same numbers as the standard PS5 so they might as well make as much money as they can.

There's an argument there that if it was priced better it would sell better but we don't really know how much that change would affect profits.
That argument would've been tested with the PS4 Pro at its mass-market friendly 400 dollar price tag. It only sold 10-13 million units.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
$800 CAD in Canada.

This makes the $959 for the PS5 Pro look like a great deal.

So, yeah, I think the existence of Xbox or not has little effect on the pricing of the PS5 Pro. Things are either more expensive, or they both are pushing for more profit margin. Gone are the days of companies taking a loss on hardware.
Agencylife Bingo GIF by MX Player

Kamina

Golden Boy
wT8CTX.gif

if XBox was a serious competitor this gen, and sony had to fear that ms releases an XSX pro for less, they wouldn’t have priced the PS5 pro like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom