• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro at $700: ‘Lack of Competition’ Made It an ‘Easier Decision’ for Sony to Run With Higher Price

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
With Xbox being dead, and Nintendo making nothing but cookie cutter hardware - Sony will have free reign on the hardcore and casual market in the console space. Basically free reign to do whatever they want. They dont even have to announce games anymore.

TrebleShot

Not strange at all. Just because something is widely talked about doesn't mean it's good. In this case, many people are laughing at the absurdity of pricing a *Pro console at $800, that lacks features found on the base model. It's a clear example of Sony milking their customers. Play Has No Limits, my ass.
Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Pricing of a premium "pro" console offering high performance is "absurd". Almost as if a cheaper option isn't readily available.

Your PS5 still works so why is this a problem?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The biggest ‘well… dur’ imaginable. Xbox’s abject failure to provide adequate hardware competition allows Sony to corner the market and increase prices.

Allandor

People get so mad at the outrageous prices of new tech from the likes of Apple, Nvidia, and now Sony. And yet, this stuff sells out…every time. We can blame lack of competition but what about all the people who continue validating these high prices with their wallets?
Like ps VR2 did ..... Not

But I know where you are coming from. Since corona, everything on the gaming industry just went so wrong because everybody thought they could sell everything. Than the pandemic ended and another crisis started...
Now the target audience is much, much smaller

hemo memo

Gold Member
$800 CAD in Canada.

This makes the $959 for the PS5 Pro look like a great deal.

So, yeah, I think the existence of Xbox or not has little effect on the pricing of the PS5 Pro. Things are either more expensive, or they both are pushing for more profit margin. Gone are the days of companies taking a loss on hardware.
Economic 101 tells us that competition drives down prices. Without Xbox as a major competitor, Sony feels less pressure to keep prices low.

Do I seriously need to point a basic concept?

Senua

Alanis Morissette Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Pricing of a premium "pro" console offering high performance is "absurd". Almost as if a cheaper option isn't readily available.

Your PS5 still works so why is this a problem?
You really think the price is justified, that they aren't inflating it in part, because of apologists like yourself? Expect better value out of your megacorps!

TrebleShot

You really think the price is justified, that they aren't inflating it in part, because of apologists like yourself? Expect better value out of your megacorps!
Whether it's justified or not it doesn't matter because I have a choice to not buy it or buy it if I want to just like I won't be buying an iPhone 16. If I'm desperate for a new iPhone and can't bring myself to pay the top prices there's an iPhone SE.

I'm not entitled to best tech at prices I can afford.

There's premium wagyu beef or there's mcdonalds patties. Just because I want them at the same price doesn't mean I'm going to get it nor am I entitled to.

There's a premium on luxy products unfortunately.

habibihijababy

Neo Member
Sony is back to that PS3-599-US-dollars cockiness but I think consumers are going to gobble this up. Meh. Enjoy your remaster (censored edition) in 120fps. Whoopee.

"Its easy being a piece of shit"

No, it's a capitalist company doing capitalism.

Considering capitalism also created that computer you're typing on, you'd think you'd be less eager to call companies puerile names for thinking about their bottom line.

Instead you should be directing that angst toward Spencer for cratering Xbox into the fucking ground such that they aren't providing meaningful competition to Sony anymore.

Senua

Whether it's justified or not it doesn't matter because I have a choice to not buy it or buy it if I want to just like I won't be buying an iPhone 16. If I'm desperate for a new iPhone and can't bring myself to pay the top prices there's an iPhone SE.

I'm not entitled to best tech at prices I can afford.

There's premium wagyu beef or there's mcdonalds patties. Just because I want them at the same price doesn't mean I'm going to get it nor am I entitled to.

There's a premium on luxy products unfortunately.
So where does this end? If the 5090 is 4 grand is that okay because it's premium? You must know the piss Sony is taking with a £700 digital only console. It's okay, no it's GOOD to criticise them because as history shows, it may actually affect the final price if the reception to said product is almost universally negative. Which it has been.

MarV0

Neo Member
Anyone that thinks that Sony has no competition in the hardcore space is hugely mistaken.

There is a behemoth that has been building some incredible momentum the past decade, with fully customizable hardware for all tastes from high to mid to low end including a variety of fully fledged portables with the most popular game store in the world.

Senua

Anyone that thinks that Sony has no competition in the hardcore space is hugely mistaken.

There is a behemoth that has been building some incredible momentum the past decade, with fully customizable hardware for all tastes from high to mid to low end including a variety of fully fledged portables with the most popular game store in the world.
We don't talk about that here, it frightens people.

phant0m

Sony is back to that PS3-599-US-dollars cockiness but I think consumers are going to gobble this up. Meh. Enjoy your remaster (censored edition) in 120fps. Whoopee.
$599 PS3 was almost 20 years ago

Equivalent today would be over $900

PS5 Pro at 700 is still cheaper than PS3 in 2006

Amazing how y’all recognize the price of everything else (gas, groceries, etc) going up but still think video game should cost the same 20 and 30 years on

Last edited:

TrebleShot

So where does this end? If the 5090 is 4 grand is that okay because it's premium? You must know the piss Sony is taking with a £700 digital only console. It's okay, no it's GOOD to criticise them because as history shows, it may actually affect the final price if the reception to said product is almost universally negative. Which it has been.
Well the Internet will tell you people don't like it and won't buy it but it's the most popular discussion point on here.

And of course, like the iPhone and the NVIDIA GPUs the market will indicate how popular it is.

Take a look at the disc drive sales in anticipation. Take a look at the portal it was ripped to shreds by YouTubers and forums and became one of the best accessories sold.

The 4090 is priced insanely and was hard to get hold of for months and I believe still is.

The Pro will absolutely sell out its a premium product that will be judged and built as such with limited runs and a higher price yet it will still be like gold dust.

What's more is this tech is relatively unknown and the impact of it. All we have seen is 3 mins of theoretical performance. Once people actually use it and PSSR is explored along with how the boost in hardware works in tandem with it well see if its "worth it".

But again this doesn't have to sell PS4 pro numbers it just has to do moderately well for sony to deem it a success.

Elios83

I think it's more the fact that they don't see it as a product where they need to build a huge installed base for it to survive.
So they want to target enthusiasts without money issues and have a profitable hardware to balance the standard PS5 hardware that is still sold around break even or a small loss.
They might even use the PRO to finance holiday season promotions on the base model...
The system should have been priced at 699$ with the disc drive at least.

Senua

Well the Internet will tell you people don't like it and won't buy it but it's the most popular discussion point on here.
But 90% of the talk is negative. I see your point about the portal but this is a heck load more money than that thing. I don't think it'll be a flop or anything but it's just in a difference category altogether from the PS4 Pro at least price wise. It's obvious why many are disappointed after that one.

Moses85

The development costs of the hardware cannot be easily passed on to the buyer group as they will not be as large as with the standard PS5. The components chosen are also more expensive. Sony has no reason to sell the console at a loss or at a subsidized rate.

Elios83

But 90% of the talk is negative. I see your point about the portal but this is a heck load more money than that thing. I don't think it'll be a flop or anything but it's just in a difference category altogether from the PS4 Pro at least price wise. It's obvious why many are disappointed after that one.

People criticize nVidia and their absurd GPU prices all the time but they still buy their 4080s and 4090s.
They criticize Apple and yet they buy their stuff in million units all the time.
Dual Sense Edge was criticized for the outrageous price and it's always among the best selling accessories.
70$ games were supposed to be the end of the world and people switching to gaming subscriptions in mass.
The Portal was supposed to be a product no one wanted and yet it has surpassed every expectations.

People sure talk a lot when something is not ideal to them, but if something is interesting and has value they'll still get it.

reinking

Gold Member
<-- The OG 699.99 console.

The PS5 Pro isn't even the first console I paid $699.99 for. People thought I was nuts then and people will think I am nuts now. Maybe I am...

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
No, it's a capitalist company doing capitalism.

Considering capitalism also created that computer you're typing on, you'd think you'd be less eager to call companies puerile names for thinking about their bottom line.

Instead you should be directing that angst toward Spencer for cratering Xbox into the fucking ground such that they aren't providing meaningful competition to Sony anymore.

This is probably one of the stupidest things I've read. Sorry. :\

"Sony is doing some shit"
You: "well theyre supposed to do that, just accept it and attack someone else"

lmao. jesus.

Last edited:

Arachnid

This is why console wars were always stupid. Corps don't give a shit about you, and the competition was good for you. Didn't stop retards from going full tribalistic over it to make themselves feel a little more important. The second they don't have competition or have your loyalty, they push boundaries.

Last edited:

ToadMan

So asking a legit question

You don't think Xbox not having a pro console right now to compete didn't make the choice a little easier for Sony to go with $700?

Xbox have priced their 2TB model at $600.

Meanwhile Sony have put the pro with extra hardware and bespoke software which offers around a 50% performance bump, and a 2tb SSD at $100 above Xbox.

Compared to the MS offering, PS 5 pro looks like a bargain on dollar Vs performance.

Whatever one thinks of the absolute price of the PS5 pro, they're still offering better value than MS.

Klayzer

People criticize nVidia and their absurd GPU prices all the time but they still buy their 4080s and 4090s.
They criticize Apple and yet they buy their stuff in million units all the time.
Dual Sense Edge was criticized for the outrageous price and it's always among the best selling accessories.
70$ games were supposed to be the end of the world and people switching to gaming subscriptions in mass.
The Portal was supposed to be a product no one wanted and yet it has surpassed every expectations.

People sure talk a lot when something is not ideal to them, but if something is interesting and has value they'll still get it.
NreOp4d.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Then why bother to make it at all? They don't have any competition. There is no reason to create a Pro console for very little to no profit. My guess this is probably the most profitable console per unit than Sony has ever made.

The real "Big 3" Cerny didn't mention were $$ and $.

And this price point sets a precedent for future generations, the standard units of next gen consoles are almost always priced the same or higher than their previous gen counterparts, with Saturn -> Dreamcast and PS3 -> PS4 being the notable exceptions.

Last edited:
Whats the Build of materials estimated cost? anyone have a link to someone who has a ballpark? Is this one of the first consoles Sony might be selling at a profit? and what could that margin be?

no one knows, as we don’t have extact specs just yet, not that it’s gonna help, these estimates are not 100% correct, but most experts are saying it’s looks way overpriced.

Senua

Maybe I have too much faith in people lol

yurinka

"Lack of competition" has nothing to do with the pricing. It has more powerful and newer hardware, so it's more expensive than base PS5.

We're also in a context where the components kept increasing its price during the generation, instead of what happened in previous generations, which was to decrease over time. At the same time there has been a huge inflation and the currency exchange also did hurt them. So couldn't price cut of the console, and instead had to increase it. The western economy and geopolitics are fucked and there's a lot of uncerinity for the near future, an upcoming collapse is pretty possible or at least is very likely that inflation and costs will continue growing.

So considering all this, they can't afford to put a cheap price, or to don't a lot of money per console sold. On top of this, after 50 years of gaming market revenue growing there have been a couple of years where revenue kept flat. Meaning, the gaming market may have peaked, which means that going forward could decrease, while the costs of making hardware and games continues increasing. So big companies have to focus on growing revenue, cutting costs to increase their profitability as much as possible to face possible challenges of the future.

Meaning, it makes sense to price the hardware a big more expensive than what the other consoles had when inflation adjusted.

Many knew this would happen, many warned people we needed Xbox to keep Sony pricing in check and a lot of people continued to cheer Xbox demise and want them out of the hardware business yet here we are now people want to complain about the pricing of the pro

Xbox scored a monstrous own goal though. It was just brainfart after brainfart from Spencer and co and you get to a point where you just go 'Fuckit, where's my popcorn'.

Would I get a Pro? Yes but there has to be a noticeable upgrade in games from the standard model and I've yet to see these side by side in depth comparisons. I also don't need a disc drive as I'm happy to embrace an all digital library.
I am however miffed that there's no stand bundled in with the console.

People get so mad at the outrageous prices of new tech from the likes of Apple, Nvidia, and now Sony. And yet, this stuff sells out…every time. We can blame lack of competition but what about all the people who continue validating these high prices with their wallets?
Hear hear.

I used to have the flagship Samsung model (S3 and Note 2 2014) about a decade ago, and watched with great surprise (rather horror) at how high the price of flagship Samsung and also iPhone went fueled mainly by fanboys - Prices went right through the roof and beyond | I consider $999 to be the roof or max for non-essential gadgets.

The same happened to Nvidia GPUs. And now looks like to be happening to Sony PS. I for one envision myself gaming on PCs as at least they are an essential multi-purpose item for which even $2k seems OK if it means higher productivity at work (I belong to an IT field).

Last edited:
This is probably one of the stupidest things I've read. Sorry. :\

"Sony is doing some shit"
You: "well theyre supposed to do that, just accept it and attack someone else"

lmao. jesus.

What else are you gonna do other than accept it? You can bitch and moan at Sony till you're blue in the face but it won't amount to fuck all. This isn't one of those Helldivers 2 situations where hot blooded gamers can take to Steam and leave negative reviews for the PS5 Pro until Sony changes their tune.

I mean, if idiots want to try stupid shit like that, fuck it, let them. But it won't amount to anything.

All I'm saying is that Sony is doing what any company would do in their market position, i.e. exploit the fact they have no competition.

If you don't like it, don't buy a Pro. Otherwise, you can cry on NeoGaf all you want but it won't change anything.

At least on the Xbox side, if the community bitched hard enough, MS probably would have sacked Spencer and that would have instantly put Xbox in a better position.

marjo

The high price is due to a lack of competition, but it has nothing to do with Xbox.

TSMC has continued to raise the price of silicon, and since both Samsung and Intel have shat the bed, they don't have any competition to keep them honest. That's why all high end electronics are getting ridiculously expensive.

Top Bottom