• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

The following games are set for PS5 Pro Enhanced versions:
- Alan Wake 2
- Assassin’s Creed: Shadows
- Demon’s Souls
- Dragon’s Dogma 2
- Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
- Gran Turismo 7- Hogwarts Legacy
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- The Crew Motorfest
- The First Descendant
- The Last of Us: Part II Remastered

Some odd omissions

Helldivers 2??
Returnal?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn, they really trying to get some of that Concord money back lol

+ R&D, TSMC chip costs, memory and possibly a tiny bit of profit all add up.
The fact that Sony selected 699 tells me they’re more interested in seeking a margin out of it, then having high volume sales of the device out of the gate. It’s for the PlayStation diehards, for sure. And the calculus behind it probably was the same people that were going to spend 600 on it will spend 700 on it, so why not go higher, instead of subsidizing it. 🤷‍♂️

700 quid in the UK is insane. There's no way I'll be getting it at that price, what a rip off. Shame, I would have fancied a PRO version of the PS5 so I'm gutted.

Day Valentine GIF

scydrex

Damn. I want a Pro but $780 with the disc drive. It´s not easy to swallow. IDK for real. They have to show more. Showing old games? Like that the quality mode of ps5 runs at 60fps on Pro yeah but dam. $700 with disc drive i would have accepted it. Have to think about it. Maybe would get a Pro with a special or discount or with 1 or 2 games that i don't have.

Last edited:

CobraAB

$699. No disc drive. Vertical stand separate.

They're not even bothering with condoms or lube for Europe. €799??

And of course, the 4 year old PS5 will stay at current pricing.

The Xbox is applying no pressure to Sony whatsoever, so this is part economic reality and part lack of real competition in the higher end console market.

I've stirred clear of saying this for the most part, but this gen fucking sucks.
Lube is always optional. Some people just don't care.

clarky

Gold Member

The following games are set for PS5 Pro Enhanced versions:
- Alan Wake 2
- Assassin’s Creed: Shadows
- Demon’s Souls
- Dragon’s Dogma 2
- Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
- Gran Turismo 7- Hogwarts Legacy
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- The Crew Motorfest
- The First Descendant
- The Last of Us: Part II Remastered

That can't be the full list surely?

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
So I imagine that any increased strain on system memory (due to PSSR and Increased ray tracing) is offset by the speed increase, or am I incorrect in assuming these features will hit the system memory harder?

700 quid in the UK is insane. There's no way I'll be getting it at that price, what a rip off. Shame, I would have fancied a PRO version of the PS5 so I'm gutted.

Day Valentine GIF
I genuinely have no idea who will purchase this at the price point.

Are we now expecting the PS6 to release at £800?

£700 for a mid console refresh is utter insanity, especially when the PS5 launch price was £449 (£359 digital) four years ago.

Codes 208

$700? Digital only? Only a 1.7x increase in power?

Yeah lol no. The ps4 pro was a bigger upgrade than this and that launched at the same price as the base model and was a physical model

Last edited:
Is it expensive? absolutely.

And while inflation doesn't justify everything, its still a factor.

This is basically the PS5 digital SKU. So $400 in 2020 is $490 in today's money. Lets call it $500. Sony is basically saying a bigger GPU, faster RAM, and 2TB = +$200 more.

Also, add that chip prices are higher now than they were in 2020.

All I will say is this, this is not for everyone. There is a perfectly fine $450 PS5 for people to buy.
That’s like saying tech hasn’t progressed since 2020 and the tech that came out in 2020 costs “just as much” in 2024

It’s flawed logic.

By that stupid logic, the iPhone 12 Pro that came out in 2020 for $999 should still be $999 in 2024

And the iPhone 16 Pro that’s coming out in a few days should be $1599

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

exactly, with this logic iPhone should cost $2000 this year lmao
Chips gets cheaper to produce, its similar design so manufacturing also gets cheaper over time. to people who are defending big corporations, just stop with this nonsense inflation talk
Nope. The difference is that things like the Iphone have significantly more wiggle room. That $1000 iPhone cost apple like $350 to make. Then they tack on a $650 markup. Same thing Nvidia does with their GPUs.

As it stands, even if sony were making a profit on each PS5pro sold at $700. Its likely no more than $50/unit. Whats crazy is the possibility that he tech market is so warped right now, that even at $700 sony may be only breaking even or taking a loss.

Fabieter

Are we forced to get rid of the PS5 and buy the PS5 Pro? use your brain, its a Pro version of the console, like there are Pro versions of some phones (with practically no difference other than screen size at $100's dollars more, its your choice to buy the standard version or the pro)

I own an s24 ultra and while that phone was really expensive too it was way better than the s24 and s24+ and it had comparable pricing to other markets. Those eu pricing is a ripp off.

Dutchy

800 euro's is not going to sell much in Europe. At least definitely not here in The Netherlands. I have a good sense of what the average consumer is willing to spend on games over here and 800 ain't it.

Top Bottom