• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

Monkfish877

What a ripoff!!! Take my advice, don't waste your hard earned money on this, Sony hasn't released a single game yet that utilises the full power of the base ps5 yet, what makes you think they will for the ps5 pro?. As we saw in the video, the games look pretty much same to me across both of the systems, not a chance in hell I'll be suckered into buying this thing, what a waste of money.

Senua

Good, and no Trump dollars so the poor people can’t get one. We can finally buy new electronics at msrp.

xpmMJ4Y.png

Mr.Phoenix

That’s like saying tech hasn’t progressed since 2020 and the tech that came out in 2020 costs “just as much” in 2024

It’s flawed logic.

By that stupid logic, the iPhone 12 Pro that came out in 2020 for $999 should still be $999 in 2024

And the iPhone 16 Pro that’s coming out in a few days should be $1599
Okay... explain why the PS5 has gotten more expensive since then?

Also, who is being stupid if you aren't factoring in that Sony typ[ically sell consoles at a loss?

It doesn't matter how tech is advancing, what matters is how much it cost them to make the damn thing.

I have already addressed why its stupid to even bring apple into this conversation.

Rising_Hei

In the EU (Spain), a GPU far superior to the one PS5 has (7900 GRE) costs around €560.
A RIG with it might cost you around 1,200 - 1,300 €, which is not much more than €900...
And you'd save a lot of money because games are much cheaper, and there's no PS Plus subscription.

I'm sorry Sony, PC wins this time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Gonna be like 10K SEK in Sweden lol (a standard PS5 is almost 7000). And that's without a disc drive, which I will need. So I don't know man. Before the price reveal I was 90% sure I was getting one, now I'm at like 10%.

jorgejjvr

Man sony went nuts. PS5 pro, digital only, stand sold separately, disc drive sold separately, $700 LOL

This also tells us ps6 will be $700 too or more, crazy

Is this PS3 level of crazy??

I'm not sure who they are marketing the PS5 Pro at.

People who are graphic whores will stick to expensive GPUs.

I would much rather waste £1000 on an RTX 5080 than buy a PS5 Pro for £700 which is already underpowered.

TheKratos

800 BUCKAROOS, thanks EU tariffs you complete dumbasses. YOU DON'T PUT IMPORT TARIFFS FOR PRODUCTS YOU DON'T PRODUCE. Absolutely ridiculous price.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I'm of the opinion that anyone buying a console at these price points is a mug (the same will go for whatever Xbox hobble together for their next and final go of this, if the rumours are to be believed). This is insanity for a locked down (both from a hardware, and a software perspective) piece of hardware.

We are officially in the territory of encroaching PC price points, and to make matters worse the games are 99% the same across the platforms.

How do you do a reveal for a new piece of hardware and the headline games you show are a bunch of cross gen games that are also already available on PC with the exact same (if not better) settings?

Last edited:

Croga

I'm an old lad, I've owned every console since the NES era, this will be the first console I will not buy.

800 bucks for a digital only mid gen console refresh (disc drive sold separately!) with the same CPU, and a slightly better GPU is actual insanity.

Also, who is being stupid if you aren't factoring in that Sony typ[ically sell consoles at a loss?

It doesn't matter how tech is advancing, what matters is how much it cost them to make the damn thing.

I have already addressed why its stupid to even bring apple into this conversation.
You actually believe it costs Sony more to produce a PS5 Slim DE in 2024 than it did for them to produce the PS5 DE in 2020?

Meanwhile they’re charging $50 more for it 4 years later lmao

Spyxos

Gold Member
HAHA, no way in hell i gonna pay so much. At that price, they didn't even need to announce the thing. What is even the point of it? It is doa.

Kevin Hart No GIF by Kevin Hart's Laugh Out Loud

Last edited:
My only concern with launching a $700 / £700 Pro console is that it may not sell enough numbers to justify most third-parties supporting it properly with PSSR and RT features over the base game. And with the way Sony treated the similarly expensive PS VR2, which they basically released and ignored, who is to say that first-party support will last beyond the first year or two? Also, if this Pro model is $700 / £700 now then how much is the PS6 going to cost? Sony haven't cut the price of the PS5 since it launched, both the console and the controllers have got more expensive!

HogIsland

You can build a substantially more powerful (ryzen 5800X + rx7800 xt w/ 32GB DDR4) PC in a smaller form factor (the beautiful Fractal Ridge) for under $1200. And you'll get major performance uplift in ALL games. No subscription to play online.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Gold Member

I think in this new world of tech pricing, it isn't appropriate to call people stupid due to the confusion this causes. This new reality hasn't sunken in for many people. Honestly, I want to lean towards the optimistic mindset that this is just hiccup, and market forces will claw prices back down.

$699 for a mid-gen refresh is just insane. I was considering getting a pro model, but not anymore. The funny thing with this generation is that waiting a few years to get one no longer applies as the price might just go up.
Yep. I couldn't get the PS5 for the first two years, so I decided to wait for the Pro *pending price*. $699 is a NOPE for me so now I just want to grab a vanilla PS5, but that somehow doesn't feel worth it at $499( I need a drive).

This is a weird timeliness.

PSYGN

Was PS4 Pro support good? Like did devs (especially first party) actually enhance their games for it in a noticeable way?

sendit

I'm not sure who they are marketing the PS5 Pro at.

People who are graphic whores will stick to expensive GPUs.

I would much rather waste £1000 on an RTX 5080 than buy a PS5 Pro for £700 which is already underpowered.
You answered your question. I have a 4090. I can't play Final Fantasy Rebirth on the PC. I likely won't be able to play GTA6 on PC when its released due to console timed exclusives. As long as Sony is producing exclusives that aren't on PC day 1, there is a market for this.

SomeGit

The european price is absurd, like I though the people that were predicting 499 or 549 where huffing mad hopium, but I though 699 for a Pro with Disc Drive would be fair. 799 yuros with no disc drive is mental.
If it was a big jump ok, but if the sales pitch is some RT sprikled in and "fidelity-like graphics at performance framerates" is the sales pitch flys over me, like even Cerny himself said that 3/4 for the playerbase picks performance over fidelity, so they usually prefer better framerates yet this as next to no improvement in CPU performance so CPU bound titles will get barely any performance improvements.

Not for me, especially at that price, but waiting for the DF comparisons.

Top Bottom