• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

SJRB

Gold Member

The following games are set for PS5 Pro Enhanced versions:
- Alan Wake 2
- Assassin’s Creed: Shadows
- Demon’s Souls
- Dragon’s Dogma 2
- Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth
- Gran Turismo 7- Hogwarts Legacy
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- The Crew Motorfest
- The First Descendant
- The Last of Us: Part II Remastered

ITxYMmO.jpeg

Fabieter

Yep. I couldn't get the PS5 for the first two years, so I decided to wait for the Pro *pending price*. $699 is a NOPE for me so now I just want to grab a vanilla PS5, but that somehow doesn't feel worth it at $499( I need a drive).

This is a weird timeliness.

Wait for black Friday. It might get a bit lower. Or put the money towards a PC instead. 🤣

Dodo123

Of course they couldn't give us a version with a smaller SSD and a disc-drive...
Ehh, shame that they don't have any proper competition. I was expecting 599 eur with a disc drive lol, 800+120 is just delulu

Fabieter

You answered your question. I have a 4090. I can't play Final Fantasy Rebirth on the PC. I likely won't be able to play GTA6 on PC when its released due to console timed exclusives. As long as Sony is producing exclusives that aren't on PC day 1, there is a market for this.

But they also leave the exclusives space. Rebirth is probably ported as we speak and we know gta vi will also be on pc.

Mr.Phoenix

You actually believe it costs Sony more to produce a PS5 Slim DE in 2024 than it did for them to produce the PS5 DE in 2020?

Meanwhile they’re charging $50 more for it 4 years later lmao
Don't put words in my mouth. I never said I believe it cost sony more today to make a PS5 Slim. What I am saying however, is that when you factor in inflation, and chip prices that have jumped, they are not seeing cost reductions anywhere as fast as they typically see them And this is reflected in the fact they have not just not dropped prices, but increased them.

You can dispute this all you want, but there is more evidence to support what I am saying, than any of what you are saying

Sony is seeing that and is probably smiling. 15-20% is what they would expect the Pro to sell. I mean the PS4pro sold in at only about 20%... and that thing cost $399. If they can pull off 15% buying the PS5pro at $700?

Then I truly fear what the PS6 would cost.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Has technology completely stagnated? If not, how can 45% more GPU compute cost 75% more 4 years later? Yeah, there's a little more RT power and some AI silicon too I guess, but still. The same price as the PS5 originally was I'd understand. This is nuts.

Last edited:
I hated PS4 Pro at the beginning, but finally i ate my words and bought one because of 4K....But this, 700$ for "better" raytracing, which even wasnt noticeable on the games they showed....and 60 fps on PS4 games like TLOU 2...and without disc drive? HAHAHAHAHAHA Go to hell Sony! I´ll stick with my regular PS5 and upgrade my PC! Also i´m glad to see more people making sense on this thread than day 1 snobbish idiots...

soulbait

$100 more than I thought it will be. Oh well, I will still open my wallet for it, LOL.

Definitely not going to be as common as the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

Mr.Phoenix

I think in this new world of tech pricing, it isn't appropriate to call people stupid due to the confusion this causes. This new reality hasn't sunken in for many people. Honestly, I want to lean towards the optimistic mindset that this is just hiccup, and market forces will claw prices back down.
Agreed. He started with the whole stupid thing though.

I am as shocked as anyone here at the price, but that's on me. I knew everything that could go into making it more expensive, and there were posters here that even pointed those things out... I just didn't take any of that seriously. But all the signs have really been there.

I mean, we are about to see a 2TB XBXfor $600 for crying out loud....

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
How many of you would have rather had a 1TB SSD with a $599 price point? 2TB is probably bumping up the price a bit.
Considering how easy it is to upgrade ones SSD capacity, if a 1TB model truly could put the Pro at the $599 range, it would have been a great move. In saying that, I don't believe it would have lowered production cost enough, for that price point.

Pedro Motta

Just saw the presentation, 100€ more than I would like, but fuck it, still 3 to 4 years left in this gen, might as well upgrade now. I'm pre-ordering when available.

£700 in the UK and no disc drive which will probably be another £100 on top. That's gaming PC price at that point. I would have to sell my PS5, Series X and Switch OLED to afford that and that's not going to happen. I might have considered it if it was £700 with the disc drive as it is 2TB but that's insane.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Agreed. He started with the whole stupid thing though.

I am as shocked as anyone here at the price, but that's on me. I knew everything that could go into making it more expensive, and there were posters here that even pointed those things out... I just didn't take any of that seriously. But all the signs have really been there.

I mean, we are about to see a 2TB XBXfor $600 for crying out loud....
I missed the other users post calling someone stupid, so my apologies for singling you out. About the Xbox price, I don't expect many people to buy that model either.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said I believe it cost sony more today to make a PS5 Slim. What I am saying however, is that when you factor in inflation, and chip prices that have jumped, they are not seeing cost reductions anywhere as fast as they typically see them And this is reflected in the fact they have not just not dropped prices, but increased them.

You can dispute this all you want, but there is more evidence to support what I am saying, than any of what you are saying

Sony is seeing that and is probably smiling. 15-20% is what they would expect the Pro to sell. I mean the PS4pro sold in at only about 20%... and that thing cost $399. If they can pull off 15% buying the PS5pro at $700?

Then I truly fear what the PS6 would cost.
None of the things you keep bringing up add up to a $699 PS5 Pro though

Chip prices have applied for everyone in the industry…yet consoles are the one thing who’s prices have stagnated in the last 4 years.

We’re talking about tech from FOUR YEARS AGO that is more expensive to buy FOUR YEARS LATER

There is nothing else, and I mean nothing else, that came out 4 years ago technology wise that costs more to buy today than it did 4 years ago.

RTX 3090 came out 4 years ago

You think RTX 3090 costs more to buy today than it did in 2020/2021?

Last edited:
Wait for black Friday. It might get a bit lower. Or put the money towards a PC instead. 🤣
Honestly based on how I play, I'm really content with my Legion Go. I do need a PS5 mostly because I have a decent PS4 digital library so yeah, if I can nab a slim on sale for BF that's probably the way I go.

As even more evidence of where I am nowadays, I just got an Analogue Pocket and loaded it up with GBA roms( even nabbed a Castlevania COTM cart off FB marketplace for $15). The industry is driving me towards the past and if I want to keep current, I love the PC handheld. Hopefully Nintendo will deliver with Switch 2, but what Sony and MS have done this gen?! Bleh.

Last edited:

mrcroket

And for people talking about inflation, you know electronics depreciate fast. Even with inflation, a 4 years old chip should be way cheaper to produce.
So the PS5 holding its price is an anomaly already
Not to mention that the market and the value of things is not that simple, people will pay the extra price of inflation on food because they have no other choice.

But on luxury items like a video game console, people have an idea of how much they are willing to spend and it is the companies that have to adapt to that budget and not the other way around.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
£700 in the UK and no disc drive which will probably be another £100 on top. That's gaming PC price at that point. I would have to sell my PS5, Series X and Switch OLED to afford that and that's not going to happen. I might have considered it if it was £700 with the disc drive as it is 2TB but that's insane.
As of this morning £99.99 from Argos.

Leaving Awkward Moment GIF by The Great British Sewing Bee

Top Bottom