• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The only way I could possibly even consider getting a PS5 is if PS Direct will let me trade in my current PS5 Slim and only pay $200 out of pocket.

JYRyOhD.png
16.4% is a higher percentage than the ownership of the PS4 Pro (14% or less) so that is a solid increase in popularity.

Sethbacca

Has technology completely stagnated? If not, how can 45% more GPU compute cost 75% more 4 years later? Yeah, there's a little more RT power and some AI silicon too I guess, but still. The same price as the PS5 originally was I'd understand. This is nuts.
Fab costs to manufacture chips have increased pretty dramatically over the last few years. CPUs, GPUs etc are all going to increase in cost for a while. The days of price decreases over time are gone at this point especially with inflation being what it is worldwide. People thinking this was going to be the same price as a PS5 from 4 years ago with record inflation were kidding themselves to begin with.

I mean the fucking stand must've cost them what 2 dollars ?
They have the audacity to charge 800 dollars and not include a stand is pure greed and wreeks of how much they can gouge of their loyal fanbase

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Fml I don’t think I can afford the Pro cause that’s a ton of game purchases for my base PS5. I was fine with my launch day PS4. I used it all the way up until GG Strive.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think they are finally waking up to the fact they're here to profit. That said, as a consumer, the increase in performance does not justify the cost. So I'm personally not gonna buy it. Let's see how many people do the same..

midnightAI

Has technology completely stagnated? If not, how can 45% more GPU compute cost 75% more 4 years later? Yeah, there's a little more RT power and some AI silicon too I guess, but still. The same price as the PS5 originally was I'd understand. This is nuts.
And a 2TB drive, and WiFi 7, oh, and not subsidised like when the PS5 first came out.

Last edited:

buenoblue

If I didn't have a PC (5800x3d/4070ti) then maybe. I just don't think the visual upgrade is gonna be worth it over ps5 amateur. Plus with most games coming to PC.

I'll need to see side by side in real life to decide if it's worth it for £800(disc)

simpatico

Gold Member
What would the equivalent PC upgrade be? A 7600xt to a 7700xt? If not just a 7650xt to 7700xt. PC might cost more up front, but man console upgrades are really expensive since you’re throwing away the rest of the machine along with the GPU

Last edited:

gerth666

I'm loving all you people whining about the price. Hopefully that means it's going to be easy to pre order one of these, so no hassle to get one unlike the ps5 launch

_g h 0 s t

Neo Member
are you too poor for a ps5 pro? just get a second job and work more hours.

Certinty

This is probably the move for those who really have to have it.
Still seems insane to me. I mean, in the UK you can probably get what, £250 for each console if you were to sell them now? £500 in total and then another £300 on top for the PS5 Pro (and disc drive and stand) is mindblowing to say the least.

Poppyseed

I mean I don't wanna be a jerk but...$350 after trade-in just isn't that much, guys.

If you were expecting to pay $250 after trade-in, sure that's a difference of $100, but...I dunno. That difference is a few times not eating out.

Gamestop just dumped the trade-in price on the PS4, also, so NOPE. $231 for the disc version. $214.50 for the digital.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This should have been my "in". FOMO would have gotten the better of me and I would have just dropped the cash for this more than likely, despite my previous posts about just sticking with PC. After seeing the arguments in this thread...Digital Only, no stand, no new games to launch with it...$780 goes a long way if you already have a beefy PC.

Could trade in my Series X and the Switch...but I generally like to keep all my consoles. I've never traded a console to buy another one. My PS4 is worthless at this point and my Xbox One X is also worthless. Man, what a time we live in.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
This price pretty much confirms that the PS6 won't be out till the end of the decade.

If they release the PS6 on course with their other systems (every 7 years), then it'll release at nothing less than $700 again.

hinch7

If I didn't have a PC (5800x3d/4070ti) then maybe. I just don't think the visual upgrade is gonna be worth it over ps5 amateur. Plus with most games coming to PC.

I'll need to see side by side in real life to decide if it's worth it for £800(disc)
I have the same setup PC wise. If the Pro was more decently priced and it upgraded PS4 games, I could maybe convince myself to upgrade. Not at £800 though.. Thats just madness.

Oh well 5080 later this year or early next.

splattered

Ok so basically what i said yesterday... i REALLY didn't expect it to NOT come with a disc drive though holy crap.

I've been 99.9% fully digital for the last several years but still, seems like a really high price for an all digital version.

Will definitely skip this machine and wait for XSX2 and PS6.

Hope everyone else that is willing to spend like $800 to play 4k 60fps of cross gen games enjoys it though!

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
That price and no disc and even the vertical stand is sold separately. Yikes.

Majority of games aren’t fully taking advantage of the current system and you’re asking $700 for Pro and showed games people i’ve already played? Sony’s on top ladies and gentlemen. Lack of competition led to increase price of the current system and controller and led to this ridiculous Pro system.

I’ve already mentioned in this thread that i’m completing my current backlog on PS5 then moving to PC unless Sony change my decision with this. They actually made it very easy. I’m not mad i’m just disappointed after 5 gens of Sony consoles.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the 14% is composed of people who actually spent the money. Time will tell when people put their money where their metaphorical mouth is.
Yeah absolutely. Plus the PS4 manufacturing was weird, I'm not even sure they continued making Pro consoles until the end so the percentage could have potentially been higher if there were consoles to sell.

Mr.Phoenix

None of the things you keep bringing up add up to a $699 PS5 Pro though

Chip prices have applied for everyone in the industry…yet consoles are the one thing who’s prices have stagnated in the last 4 years.

We’re talking about tech from FOUR YEARS AGO that is more expensive to buy FOUR YEARS LATER

There is nothing else, and I mean nothing else, that came out 4 years ago technology wise that costs more to buy today than it did 4 years ago.

RTX 3090 came out 4 years ago

You think RTX 3090 costs more to buy today than it did in 2020/2021?
Then you really have not read my posts.

I did not say that they add up to $699. I basically threw out some ideas but ultimately said... I DO NOT KNOW. And neither do you. At last that was the point I was trying to ma by offering multiple possible explanations.

What we know, is that:

there has been some inflation. $400 in 2020 in $480+ in 2024. Now this would be irrelevant to this discussion if the price of the PS5 Slim had dropped, but it hasn't, it has gone up. So that says one of two things, Sony is either struggling to get prices down in the current market, or they are being greedy and changing their business model and wanting to make as much off the sales of each console as ever have.

We also know that chip prices has skyrocketed... in case you haven't noticed, everything is more expensive. Hell, even AMD is pulling out of the top-end GPU space.

And as for your "nothing else" argument How about this, can you also point out anything that came out 4 years ago that was sold at a loss at the time it was released? You keep using examples of products that typically have stupid high mark-ups, eg. phones and GPUs. Because that is the business model they use.

Its just not the same thing. A GPU released for $1000, likely cost them under $500 to make. There is a $500 marup on that. That price can drop to $600, and they still be making a $100 profit. you compare that to something that costs $500+ to make but is sold for $400 instead?

Anyway, what I am saying, is that I don't know what is happening, but I have also said, even if Sony is making a profit on each PS5pro sold, its probably not more than $50. And its possible they are even taking a hit on each unit made. WE DO NOT KNOW.

Kings Field

My PS5 collection is all digital currently besides any collectors editions or Japanese imports so I’m fine with it being all digital. Im assuming I can pop my 2tb SSD out of my launch console and put it in. 4tb total will be plenty for me until next gen.

Top Bottom