• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

RavionUHD

Its way too expensive, a similar PC doesnt cost more currently.
The PS5 Pro is going to be compared to a RTX 5060 which will probably cost something around 350-400, but will probably have more (RT) power, DLSS and game changer features like Ray Reconstruction.

I dont think this will sell well.

cireza

Gold Member
Price is actually realistic . This is the price for the raw power of the GPU alone (approx rtx 4070 super) but this time you have also Sony super sampling and they’re the best non pc brand at that so it is what it is
It's not because PC players are used to paying overpriced hardware that console players should be the same.

The era of console manufacturers losing money on console sales and then recovering from stuff like PSN is gone.

PS6 will be either a much weaker console compared to PS5 back in it's day, and still cost 500-600€, or it'll be a powerful one but in the 800-900€ range.

Guess this is the end of the "but you need to pay 2x the console's price for a similar performance on PC"

delishcaek

Neo Member
799€+119€ and 29€ for the stand, 950€ if you are coming from an old disc PS5. Sony is nuts to ask for this much, you get a banger PC for the same money.

Ryzen 7 5700X3D: 180€
Peerless Assassin: 40€
Asus Prime B450m: 50€
32GB RAM: 60€
Kingston NV2 1TB: 50€
Sapphire RX7800XT: 480€
MSI MAG 650w: 60€
mATX Case: 50€
Win Key: 10€

980€.

The Pro has 2TB storage, this PC has twice as much RAM and a much better CPU.

That price and no disc and even the vertical stand is sold separately. Yikes.

Majority of games aren’t fully taking advantage of the current system and you’re asking $700 for Pro and showed games people i’ve already played? Sony’s on top ladies and gentlemen. Lack of competition led to increase price of the current system and controller and led to this ridiculous Pro system.

I’ve already mentioned in this thread that i’m completing my current backlog on PS5 then moving to PC unless Sony change my decision with this. They actually made it very easy. I’m not mad i’m just disappointed after 5 gens of Sony consoles.

Moving to PC makes zero sense if cost is your issue

hinch7

Price is actually realistic . This is the price for the raw power of the GPU alone (approx rtx 4070 super) but this time you have also Sony super sampling and they’re the best non pc brand at that so it is what it is
Nah closer to a 7700XT raster, RT maybe on par with a 4070 if you're lucky.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
This has got to be the strangest 3 weeks in PlayStation history.

1st week: Concord bombs hard, sells 25k and gets pulled for being shite
2nd week: Astro Bot launches and is revered as their 'Mario Killer', 'best game of the generation' etc.
3rd week: PS5 Pro is announced at £700

What is going on at Sony HQ!? 🤣

799€+119€ and 29€ for the stand, 950€ if you are coming from an old disc PS5. Sony is nuts to ask for this much, you get a banger PC for the same money.

980€.

Controller cost?

The digital foundry articles are going to be interesting

"Variable resolution for both consoles with the Pro hitting 1800p consistently with better ray traced shadows"

Diskless $449 PS5 vs Diskless $699 PS5 Pro almost makes this whole thing pointless

proandrad

This is what a pro model should be, a noticeably more powerful alternative to the regular console for those unsatisfied with the base model. A Slightly more powerful PS5 at slight price increase is waste of money.

If you are broke boy Sony has a model for you, the regular PS5.
The Office Lol GIF by NETFLIX

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

980€.

Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Can also have some huge discounts when waiting for them. In Canada recently we had 7800x3D with motherboard and memory like $500 off.

5000 series GPU and RDNA 4 will drop prices even further down by end of year or early 2025.

Controller cost?

Who the hell doesn't have a Bluetooth/wifi controller around hanging on this forum? I have a drawer full of them ffs.

House cost? Yea let's add that in

Last edited:
U can get a good PC with gamepass in the price
The only reason consoles made sense was their ease and price
This takes price off the equation
Literally 900+ euros with a disc and stand u can get a competitive PC in that price that can actually play Xbox games too.
And what did they show for the pro ? Crossgen and old games
If there was a gt8 or new ratchet built from the ground up for pro this would've made sense but this is simply too much

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So...

A Radeon 7800 XT with a custom software solution. For $700. o_O Copy. Time to get that deal on a 7800XT for $480 for the next 4 years.
7800XT has the chiplet memory, which I don't think PS5 Pro will have because it would cost a ton to produce...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
And a 2TB drive, and WiFi 7, oh, and not subsidised like when the PS5 first came out.

Does 2TB cost that much more now than 1TB did four years ago? The WiFi chip costs the same I'm sure, just a newer revision.

But yeah, this not being subsidized you are right about I guess.

delishcaek

Neo Member
Controller cost?
Touche, I was just looking at the machine itself. Downgrade to 16GB RAM, save 30€ and get an XB controller for 40€. There. Add another 20€ for a cheap M&KB combo.

The point still remains. You get a banger PC for around the same money and I'd rather spend 100€ more for a PC than buying a PS5Pro. If you are digital on PS5 then it gets more attractive, but it's still 100€ too much for what it is.

Mr.Phoenix

the increase in performance does not justify the cost.
Honestly, this depends on how you look at it. If you are just doing a TFLOPs vs TFLOPs things or x times faster rendering thing, then yh, it doesn't add up. But when you throw in better tech like PSSR and 2-3x faster RT rendering, it starts painting a very different picture. Ooh... and 2TB. My 1Tb WD Black SSd expansion for my PS5 slim cost me almost $80 for instance.

Anyways, pricing and value... is just such a subjective thing.
And here is the last time we will ever get a mid-gen refresh.
Hehehe... you will be shocked. I'll remind GAF that we all thought (and the media at large) that PS Portal would bomb. I see this as being one of those moments that GAF and the media would be so far removed from what actually ends up happening.

If Sony can sell two PS5pros for every 8 PS5s they sell, they will be very very very happy. And I think you underestimate how many people are going to trade in the PS5 to get the PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

Phobos Base

So it's £700, plus the cost of a disc drive, plus the cost of an SSD if you want more than 3 games installed at the same time, to add a few graphical effects. Sign me up!

Audiophile

From the reveal thread:

Price is taking the biscuit; standard edition at $200 extra...without the disc drive...!? $300 extra when looking at Digital vs Digital. :messenger_poop:

The BoM on this thing probably amounts to $40 extra for the different APU, $10 extra for PSU and Cooler, $20 extra for 14Gbps>18Gbps RAM chips & $30 extra for [some retarded reason] 1TB extra effective storage in SSD chips. Add in R&D recoup over the course of the next 3-4yrs on ~12-15m units (which they're probably going to struggle a little to hit now given the absurd premium) and they could easily have made a little extra profit per unit relative to the base unit while still addressing a larger audience.

The money men at Sony are very much in charge and seem to have gotten nervous on everything, they're all about recouping cost up front as fast as possible (see PSVR2) rather than trying to cast a wider net and trust the process.

Chips on higher nodes are not dropping in cost like they used to; but this is way, way beyond that. I don't buy for a second that they have ~$1.5B in R&D to recoup on this specifically, probably ~$200-300m. This is just greed, arrogance & anxiety. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's ~$150 of pure, extra profit here.

I could order one asap, (I sold my PS5 2yrs ago and have taken a long break from gaming) but just on principle I'll be waiting til the absolute last minute before Death Stranding 2 or GTAVI release; and getting one off eBay. I'd very much like to support the concept of a "Pro"; yet at the same time I don't wanna give them an extra sale when it comes to this bullshit. I legitimately hope this thing fails to take off at this cost and they re-adjust. The only hope being they readjust on price and not mid-gen refreshes in general.

Also, much as I like Cerny, the presentation was naff. "Technical", lol..

Finally, 2TB would've made more sense for a special/anniversary edition and 1TB for the normal Pro, folks would be far more receptive to a ~ $50 cheaper unit that can be upgraded rather than one that is cost-prohibitive up front. Total misread of the room (...and on the subject of misreading; it'd be one thing to only have a digital base and digital pro unit with a readily available universal disc drive, but having the base unit skus available as both, but the pro only available as digital sku/package is bizarre, enthusiasts weigh far more towards physical).

PlayStation may've veered into the Semi-Premium space; but they're not and never will be primarily Premium. They've lost the plot.

---

This really should've been the renewed lineup imo:

$349 - PS5 Digital 1TB
$449 - PS5 Disc 1TB
$499 - PS5 Disc 30th Anniversary 2TB

$549 - PS5 Pro Digital 1TB
$649 - PS5 Pro Disc 1TB
$699 - PS5 Pro Disc 30th Anniversary 2TB

$59 - Universal Add-On Disc Drive

Just remember the PS4 Pro was $399 (with a disc drive), now they're asking you $300 more for this gen's Pro and you then have to spend an extra $79 for the disc drive. That's practically double the cost. There's inflation, there's poor node cost; and then beyond a large gulf, there's whatever the hell this is.....

I scoffed at the ol' "Arrogant Sony" claims going into this gen. I was wrong.

---

Let me postface this by saying I'm the target audience for this. I want the best experience and I'm normally willing to pay for it. I'm an enthusiast whether it be movies, TV, music (see my username) or games. I want the best, I have disposable 'income' and I'm often willing to part with an outsized amount of money (and in some regards time) for just a moderately better experience. However, there's often a degree of reason and logic behind the extra cost in many of these endeavours, there's no doubt going to be markup in most of them, but there's a point at which you have to question things and this one just doesn't add up to anything but the aforementioned, greed, arrogance and/or nervousness [of the money men].

No doubt there will still be folks more loose with their cash than me and I'd normally be right there with them, heck, I spent most of my life broke and just want to enjoy things, but this one just hits different on principle. I think a lot of folks are gonna be priced out of adequate image quality and performance on any half-decent 4K display by a large margin given some of the sub-1080p, FSR shitshows we're seeing on the base system.

I think crossing that $599 price-point for the barebones unit is gonna turn a significant number people off.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not really, it’s variable by stores and deals at the time

I'm not a PC gamer and even I can tell you that you're wrong. Between sites like GMG giving PC keys $10 to $20 cheaper before launch and other sites like CDkeys offering dirt cheap keys, legitimate PC game buying is much cheaper than console.

It's one of the main reasons I buy physical consoles and use gamefly, in the absence of having a modern PC.

Last edited:

Fabieter

UK, that's what I hope. I want one of these at launch instead of having to wait for months

I don't see alot of people wanting to pay close to a grand for a disc version. So I think you are save. Except Sony thought this through and they knew people won't buy it like the ps4 pro.

tommib

So it's £700, plus the cost of a disc drive, plus the cost of an SSD if you want more than 3 games installed at the same time, to add a few graphical effects. Sign me up!
What are you on about. 2 TB not enough for your waifu candy crush bangers?

Thaedolus

cheaper games?
Absolutely. You have competition among store fronts with insane sales on a regular basis. If you’re buying something day 1, then no, but if you wait for a sale there’s no comparison. And I can still play games I bought 20 years ago on Steam either on my deck or desktop.

I don’t actually think $700 is a bad value for this thing considering I spent 3x that on my desktop…but my desktop still would smoke it

I'm not a PC gamer and even I can tell you that you're wrong. Between sites like GMG giving PC keys $10 to $20 cheaper before launch and other sites like CDkeys offering dirt cheap keys, legitimate PC game buying is much cheaper than console.

It's one of the main reasons I buy physical consoles and use gamefly, in the absence of having a modern PC.

Ok, I support developers though

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
First real test for Sony in a while. Clearly a horrible price for a large segment of people. Are they really so dominant that people will eat this up anyway? We'll see.

Top Bottom