• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
And for people talking about inflation, you know electronics depreciate fast. Even with inflation, a 4 years old chip should be way cheaper to produce.
So the PS5 holding its price is an anomaly already
They do not anymore. Between the plateau of Moore's Law, inflation (as it applies to chip fabs), geopolitical shocks, and increased demand for chiplets due to AI, the PS5 staying at 400-500 bucks after a 4 year period totalling to over 20% inflation is already a major depreciation in real price.

scydrex

Its way too expensive, a similar PC doesnt cost more currently.
The PS5 Pro is going to be compared to a RTX 5060 which will probably cost something around 350-400, but will probably have more (RT) power, DLSS and game changer features like Ray Reconstruction.

I dont think this will sell well.
So you can build a PC with a 5060 for more or less the same? Or maybe a bit more?

Jinzo Prime

To match this, PC is pretty much double the cost. PC prices are more ridiculous without any possibility of physical media.

Don't try to link to some moron build on YouTube either because I'm not unfamiliar with PC gaming. Here's proof:
Once again, it must be said that a PC can do more than just play video games. That is where some of the value of building one comes into play.

U can get a good PC with gamepass in the price
The only reason consoles made sense was their ease and price
This takes price off the equation
Literally 900+ euros with a disc and stand u can get a competitive PC in that price that can actually play Xbox games too.
And what did they show for the pro ? Crossgen and old games
If there was a gt8 or new ratchet built from the ground up for pro this would've made sense but this is simply too much
You talk complete sense, but typically on here you got a laughing emoji reaction. Stockholm Syndrome at play.....

jm89

Price could be justfied if they show what PSSR is capable of, we need thorough analysis on games that are going to be boosted by it.

Talks of spec and a few game clips isn't enough.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
PS2, PS3, PS4: design console that can sit horizontally or vertically without a stand.

PS5: make a console with a retarded curved bottom that requires a stand just to sit horizontally, but the same stand can be used to stand it vertically and it’s included.

PS5 Slim, PS5 Pro: separate stands for horizontal vs vertical. Only includes the horizontal stand in the box.

PS6: ???

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
£700 Pro plus PS Plus annually for even just 4 years completely eclipses the price of a more performant PC. Plus you are immune to price hikes on online services and are not locked in to one ecosystem in terms of game price increases.

And you won't pay extra money to have basically a "patch" to raise up resolution and performances when PS6 comes in.

I don't understand the point of consoles at this point.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
9TGKgbi.jpeg
lBQ7JNz.jpeg

Theres hope for humanity.

Loxus

PS2, PS3, PS4: design console that can sit horizontally or vertically without a stand.

PS5: make a console with a retarded curved bottom that requires a stand just to sit horizontally, but the same stand can be used to stand it vertically and it’s included.

PS5 Slim, PS5 Pro: separate stands for horizontal vs vertical. Only includes the horizontal stand in the box.

PS6: ???
PS6 will levitate.

Xyphie

Console vs. PC (or mobile) value comparisons are always so weird when people don't consider the general purpose value of a PC, you basically need one to function in modern society. A console is a pure gaming device outside of perhaps a few simple tasks like Netflix or whatnot. Heck, you don't even get a browser anymore because they are so scared of Webkit explots.

Gotta pay for that online too. $80/year over 3 years is already $240. This alone erases the extra cost of the PC.

The fact that we're even debating this is ridiculous. New consoles typically have a much much better value proposition than PCs. Pro seems to be comparable, if not worse. That's awful.

I don’t really play online games that often so it’s not a cost to me

I thought you all hated GaaS?

How is Pro comparable when it’s still hundreds cheaper than a similarly spec’d pc?

Last edited:
For most console people i know console gaming means physical gaming. That means its 920 euro plus 80 euro for ps plus. Which puts it above 1200 euro. You can totally get a conparebale rig for that kinda money.
You don't know many people then.... Most games are purchased digitally as per Sony. The price is $699 and if you already own a ps5, you're likely going to sell or trade in your existing ps5 to subsidize the cost. I have 2 ps5s. 1 og and 1 slim. Both are getting either sold or traded in to subsidize the cost of my 2 pro purchases. I have a very powerful pc with a 7800x3d and 4080 super(downgraded from 4090 because it was a waste) and I'm not connecting that to tv. As a result, I'll get a pro console.

If this doesn’t convince people to move to PC I don’t know what will. PC became so easy to use even me with no technical knowledge can simply click and play.

What pc is this? something of this price, performance and size dose exist on pc and never will lol, u must be living in some alternate universe

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Fuck it I’m in. Haven’t played rebirth yet and it will be worth it for that and multiple other titles as the gen goes on. Sell my OG fat boy and get a pro. 4K/60 is worth it for me

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I don’t really play online games that often so it’s not a cost to me
Most people do. They're far more popular than single-player games in fact.
I thought you all hated GaaS?
Plenty of multiplayer games that aren't GAAS. Demon's Souls isn't a GAAS and requires PS+ to play online. This is another $80 to add for every year. A new console should smash the value proposition of an equivalent PC. This does not and where I live is actually worse. That's a first.

all fine to say opinions / alternatives. but playstations controllers were always extremly good when it comes to latency.
It's not just the controller, it's the console overall, even at 60 FPS games normally have 100ms or more, at 30 FPS it goes to over 150ms. But yes, dualsense is better than Xbox' controller latency wise.

Last edited:
No you don't. You have way more games. Still play playstation games in a reasonable time frame. Mods. Don't have to pay for online.

It's 920 euro
+80 euro for plus every years let's say until 2028(end of generation)

That would put your budget to 1240 euro and that's before cheaper game prices.

Iam no PC master race. I like PC and consoles but this is nuts. Why are people defending it? Like wtf.

You don’t get “way more games”, and if you already owned a library of PlayStation store games you reset to zero

Bkdk

Your sacrifice needed so sucker punch, naughty dog and santa monica can develop 3 concord titles to make this the flagship gender modernization exclusive that could include more genders than all PC games combined!

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't the prices complaint, it's basically a PC with a 8800XT (around 7900 GRE or so I guess) so price is great for the specs, specially now with electronics being so expensive

Fabieter

You don't know many people then.... Most games are purchased digitally as per Sony. The price is $699 and if you already own a ps5, you're likely going to sell or trade in your existing ps5 to subsidize the cost. I have 2 ps5s. 1 og and 1 slim. Both are getting either sold or traded in to subsidize the cost of my 2 pro purchases. I have a very powerful pc with a 7800x3d and 4080 super(downgraded from 4090 because it was a waste) and I'm not connecting that to tv. As a result, I'll get a pro console.

No its not its still a considerably ammount of people buying mostly physical. So it's 920 euro on top of other redcioulous costs.

Most people do. They're far more popular than single-player games in fact.

Plenty of multiplayer games that aren't GAAS. Demon's Souls isn't a GAAS and requires PS+ to play online. This is another $80 to add for every year. A new console should smash the value proposition of an equivalent PC. This does not and where I live is actually worse. That's a first.

Ok I don’t think mp gamers even care much about graphics though, so I don’t think a pro system is for them

Like I said, I don’t use ps plus anymore so it’s not a cost to me

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Moving to PC makes zero sense if cost is your issue
Or physical games. There's not even an option on PC with that.

I don't like the lack of an in-built disc drive, but this is squarely at the feet of consumers. No one's forcing you to buy 65-70% of your games digitally, people. Can't be surprised when the market responds. Luckily, physical is sticking at that 33+ percentage range, so it'll never go away on console.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't have a PC. No even a monitor, keyboard or mouse. So if i have $700 should i buy a PS5 Pro or a GPU?
I would recommend buying a PS5 over a PC unless you specifically want to play PC games in the PC game format, and have more money to spend. The PC you can build with $700 is ass, prices have gone up quite a bit over the years.

Fabieter

You don’t get “way more games”, and if you already owned a library of PlayStation store games you reset to zero

With Xbox, you get access to all games on launch day, while PlayStation titles often take 12 to 24 months to release on PC. Many indie games arrive on PC before they do on PlayStation or Xbox, and a lot of them remain PC exclusives—some never even make it to consoles.

Although starting fresh might seem daunting, you’ll be free from the inflated prices of one greedy company. Additionally, it’s likely that Sony is developing a store for PC, meaning your digital purchases could carry over in the future.

hemo memo

Gold Member
To match this, PC is pretty much double the cost. PC prices are more ridiculous without any possibility of physical media.

Don't try to link to some moron build on YouTube either because I'm not unfamiliar with PC gaming. Here's proof:
Dude i’m talking from someone who moved to PC being a console player my whole life with very limited technical knowledge. I’m playing more and spending a lot less.

Nydius

Late to the thread because I had a bunch of crap to do this morning. For me, $700 for a digital only unit (meaning I’d have to buy the disk drive because part of my collection is physical) is a hard pass. Especially since there’s no guarantees devs of former games will go back and add in Pro improvements, so you’re really only buying it on the hope of future performance.

In an ideal (non-inflationary) world, the base PS5 would have already seen a price cut which would have then allowed them to sneak this in at the original PS5 price point (or a tiny bit higher).

I’ll limp along with my PS5 Poor. It’ll be the model most devs optimize for anyway.

Top Bottom