• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

NdU5DLT.png

bundylove

I was in Hong Kong 10 years ago visiting. I couldn’t believe how cheap and reasonably priced food and stuff was. Taxis were practically free. Wtf? Some stuff was cheaper than Canada converted. I could buy a single beer at a convenience store cheaper than a bottle coming from a 24 pack here.

But then you read about price of a condo and it’s insane.

Well if you dont live there yeah you are golden.
Everything in japan was cheap. Food , entrance fees, disney land, etc.
Gas? Booze?
It somewhat offsets the rent cost but look at us now. I have clients that are signing rent leases for years at 5k and its fuckin condo . Only downtown.

Electronics were somewhat comparable but i also didnt see any craze for ps5 over there. Nintendo oh yeah but not playstation.

I have to say though , japan is a bit backwards compared to canada but i would rather live there at this point. I love it there i love the quite and peace.

Everyone should go and visit just stay out of the cities and explore the country side and nature.

Zathalus

a 4070 costs almost as much as a pro, even in the EU (min $460 Euro).

more than half the cost of the pro will go into the GPU, why do you think this is a fair comparison at all.
A 5500/4070 PC with a 2TB SSD could be built for around £950 in Germany. That includes a Razer mouse and keyboard.

The Pro is £799 without a drive. But the PC is also faster, roughly 13% faster GPU on average. So the difference in price to performance is a mere £20. Actually skews in favour of the PC if you add a disc drive onto the Pro, which you want to do as otherwise you are forced to pay Sony digital prices which are extremely high vs PC. No second hand games or selling games either. Oh and online is free on PC as well, don’t forget that.

In conclusion, if you care about saving money stick with the base PS5 or go with PC. Of course if you abhor PC gaming and want the best console you can buy, the Pro is your only choice, but it no longer wins in the price to performance comparisons.

bundylove

Terrible presentation of a premium product.

How do they even call this a technical presentation is beyond me.

Still buying it but it doesnt feel like i need it. And thats the problem. Nobody feels like they would get their monies worth . That price also alienates a large group of people sadly. And at that point just go all in and give us a high end pc level of pro. Make it a 1000 bucks.

Kacho

Gold Member
Never forget.

There have been two big stories on the ground at GDCthis year: Xbox’s flatlining brand and the purpose of the PS5 Pro. Speaking as part of a podcast, GamesIndustry.biz’s well-connected reporter Christopher Dring noted that he didn’t meet a “single person” at the show that understood the point of Sony’s mid-gen upgrade, which is rumoured to release later this year.

He clarified that he expects “PS5 fans” to upgrade, and thus there are inherent advantages for Sony. But games makers are struggling to get excited about the system. “Developers don’t really seem to feel they need it, at least the ones I spoke to,” he revealed. “Many feel they’re not really making the most out of the PS5 in the first place.”

sendit

A 5500/4070 PC with a 2TB SSD could be built for around £950 in Germany. That includes a Razer mouse and keyboard.

The Pro is £799 without a drive. But the PC is also faster, roughly 13% faster GPU on average. So the difference in price to performance is a mere £20. Actually skews in favour of the PC if you add a disc drive onto the Pro, which you want to do as otherwise you are forced to pay Sony digital prices which are extremely high vs PC. No second hand games or selling games either. Oh and online is free on PC as well, don’t forget that.

In conclusion, if you care about saving money stick with the base PS5 or go with PC. Of course if you abhor PC gaming and want the best console you can buy, the Pro is your only choice, but it no longer wins in the price to performance comparisons.
So wait until 2027 to play GTA6 at the highest fidelity on the PC?

Last edited:

hinch7

RDNA 4 might just topple this debate once and for all since they aim for mid range low prices.
Yeah its kind of wierd seeing consoles priced like this. If AMD can get Navi 44 to around a 4070, while costing $350-400. That would be a solid option for more budget conscious gamers looking for a more premium gaming experience.

Last edited:

tmlDan

so what you're basically saying is it makes no difference, so whats the point of this discussion? That a PC does more? Everyone has a PC of some sorts and phones/laptops do what a PC does as well.

All fine and well to release a Pro console but we don't even have games out right now that is really taxing the current gen consoles?

What's even more disappointing is that the reveal doesn't showcase anything running on Pro or showing the differences in quality between PS5 and the Pro version ie. giving a potential customer a reason to set aside some moolah for one.

Its just baffling how bad PS can be so fucking bad at getting their message across?

Fabieter

James is
  • Digital only
  • Don't use online services or play online
  • Doesn't want to use stores... outside of Steam if it came to be? To support developers? He wants to pay full price day 1, even though he has no idea what gets to devs in the end.
  • Doesn't have an extra controller around, so it makes PC too expensive.
PS5 Pro was made just for him

Who cares about API? Proton is seamless and all the big releases are mainly gold on it and more so than ever with Steam deck making it popula. Hell its sometimes faster than windows. DLSS and other nvidia features have been supported in proton for like oh, a year ago at least? There's barely a game that uses direct storage and those that do barely had a difference with just an NVME drive. Unless you're an alt of Rofif and want to say that Forspoken is totally worth it.

But do you even remember that I picked an AMD RX 7800 XT though in the part list. 🤷‍♂️

I had a Node 202 build as a console size PC under my TV for like 3 years, without any logon, no keyboards, no mouse and never updated drivers. You're making it something it isn't.

Why don't you add that you need to go into motherboard jump pins and change IRQ adresses while you're at it? Its about as outdated views as you hold.

Would somehow understand when anyone said. "It's expensive but I love new tech and I have the money". It would still sick for the overpriced hardware but I think that's fair but why excuse it like that.

pudel

Neo Member
bundylove bundylove

ah okay, you mean US (thought you mean Europe). But in that case we would need to discuss about our lovely governments who are screwing us here, not Sony. ;) If Sony would sell it here the same as in the US, I would still have to pay 750€.

bundylove

I am scrared of the future guys.

If this is an indication of whats to come next gen, are we starting ar 700+ dollars?

I realize we always want the best at a low cost but we are crossing a very red line here.

The other problem i see with this is that we dont know how long this gen will last.

If the new xbox is stated for 2026, did i just pay all this money for a max 2 years before the ps6 comes out at the same or higher price?

I got the psvr2 . Was already a lot of money but ok. And now there is zero support for it.

Now you are telling me that devs dont even need to patch their games as the AI and pssr will do it for them. Doesnt give me any confidence at all.

Fabieter

so what you're basically saying is it makes no difference, so whats the point of this discussion? That a PC does more? Everyone has a PC of some sorts and phones/laptops do what a PC does as well.

You can made your games on mobile or play all PC games in 40 years history. Have cheaper game prices and more games in general. People don't understand that consoles lost yet another benefit with this announcement and I won't be surprised if they drop physical the last benefit next.

bundylove

bundylove bundylove

ah okay, you mean US (thought you mean Europe). But in that case we would need to discuss about our lovely governments who are screwing us here, not Sony. ;) If Sony would sell it here the same as in the US, I would still have to pay 750€.
Trust me we are all getting screwed here. Some more than others.

Either way , 700 US or 800 Euro its too much.

But i got the message and i wont go down the politics/goverment hole.

I really feel bad about all the people who have to now priorotize what to sepnd their money on

tmlDan

You can made your games on mobile or play all PC games in 40 years history. Have cheaper game prices and more games in general. People don't understand that consoles lost yet another benefit with this announcement and I won't be surprised if they drop physical the last benefit next.
i mean that's a miniscule benefit, i have other systems that do that and old PC's that are chugging from the past that do that as well, none of this is convincing other than trying your very best to match a console that has already proven/may be proven to do 4k 60 fps (even if its upscaled, if its done better than PC than there's no comparison) utilizing tech not available in new PC's yet.

Last edited:

SHA

At least Phil Spencer must take the opportunity and make more xbox units cause it's going to sell even more than he expected. Cause let's be real, the pro looks even more stupid than series s, am I wrong here? which puts xbox at advantage, with it's upcoming games.

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
At least Phil Spencer must take the opportunity and release more xbox units cause it's going to sell even more than he expected. Cause let's be real, the pro looks even more stupid than series s, am I wrong here? which puts xbox at advantage, with it's upcoming games.

Next box will be close to $1000

lordrand11

Hahahahaha, no wait you're serious, hahahahahahahahha.

This, Is useless at that price, total $850 with tax if you want to enjoy your physical discs too.

Nows as good a time as any to get into PC gaming, we've got Steam, Epic, Xbox, and PS games and if you're into retro emulation is there too.

The reception to this does not seem good, but we'll see.

Can't really pull the plug on this one if it falls flat like Concord did, lol.

pudel

Neo Member
I really feel bad about all the people who have to now priorotize what to sepnd their money on
Spend it on a PC...would be my take here. :messenger_winking_tongue: It seems to me that MS and Sony are crawling closer and closer to the PC crowd anyway (while nobody forced them).

Kacho

Gold Member
At least Phil Spencer must take the opportunity and release more xbox units cause it's going to sell even more than he expected. Cause let's be real, the pro looks even more stupid than series s, am I wrong here? which puts xbox at advantage, with it's upcoming games.
Not a chance in hell. Xbox hardware is dead in the water. If consumers want to settle they'll go with a regular PS5, or just wait for Switch 2 when that drops in a few months.

Xbox's only chance is their rumored handheld, but that's going against Switch 2 and Steam Deck. They look proper fucked baring some miracle.

Terrible presentation of a premium product.

How do they even call this a technical presentation is beyond me.

Still buying it but it doesnt feel like i need it. And thats the problem. Nobody feels like they would get their monies worth . That price also alienates a large group of people sadly. And at that point just go all in and give us a high end pc level of pro. Make it a 1000 bucks.
That's what I don't get, If you're going to price out the poors, at least go super insane with the price and specs, why stop at $700.

Fabieter

No one is sure, I said roughly based on the 33 TF and comparing it to existing AMD cards

Nah tf don't work like that. You can't compare them to nvidia at all. Did they even mention tf?
i mean that's a miniscule benefit, i have other systems that do that and old PC's that are chugging from the past that do that as well, none of this is convincing other than trying your very best to match a console that has already proven/may be proven to do 4k 60 fps (even if its upscaled, if its done better than PC than there's no comparison) utilizing tech not available in new PC's yet.

This will be comparable to dlss at the very best. The 4070 is supporting dlss frame gen which there is no way gets beaten by Sony with an AMD card ;). It's fine if you want one but eu pricing with 920 bucks is insane especially that you have to more money for all the shit you are doing on consoles.

At this point PC is better value!

bundylove

Spend it on a PC...would be my take here. :messenger_winking_tongue: It seems to me that MS and Sony are crawling closer and closer to the PC crowd anyway (while nobody forced them).
Yeah i am not going pc. Been there done that not interested.
But yes that would be a wise move for most. Cant argue with that.

John Wick

Hahahahaha, no wait you're serious, hahahahahahahahha.

This, Is useless at that price, total $850 with tax if you want to enjoy your physical discs too.

Nows as good a time as any to get into PC gaming, we've got Steam, Epic, Xbox, and PS games and if you're into retro emulation is there too.
So how come you don't laugh when Nvidia charge you £1000-1500+ for a GPU???

Kacho

Gold Member
If people buy this thing I can't imagine what ps6 will cost.
Sony has to realize they're at a crossroad here. Do they move forward with another hardware upgrade that comes with 15 year dev cycles and 500 million dollar budgets? How does $999.99 sound? Something has got to give...

vpance

All fine and well to release a Pro console but we don't even have games out right now that is really taxing the current gen consoles?

What's even more disappointing is that the reveal doesn't showcase anything running on Pro or showing the differences in quality between PS5 and the Pro version ie. giving a potential customer a reason to set aside some moolah for one.

Its just baffling how bad PS can be so fucking bad at getting their message across?

That's because they can't give the examples you're asking for.

They're just checking off a box with this Pro release. Doing it because they've committed to make Pros mid gen.

Top Bottom