• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Sony know their Euro market very well.
There is absolutely nothing threatening PlayStation’s complete stranglehold on gaming in Europe. Xbox is barely a blip on the radar and it’s rapidly fading (its relevance was limited to the 360 era) and the Switch, while successful, overlaps to no small degree with PS and PC as a complementary gaming system.
Sony doesn’t care if the Pro ends up at 1% of total PS5 sales in Europe. They just want it to be a choice. They know 90+ percent of PS5 sales in Europe will still be the base model. The Pro isn’t meant to shift market shares in a market that’s being predominantly Sony’s for almost 30 years and isn’t going to tip in the foreseeable future. They could pretty much price the pro €100 higher and it would only marginally affect its end-of-life sales.

SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE EURODOLLARS!

RickMasters

Let’s be honest it’s not like Sony expect it to outsell the base PS5. And We all know who will buy this…… die hard PS customers, who want performance and fidelity on current gen games…… now that I’ve thought about it more, it’s worth what it’s worth to who wants a PS5 pro.
I know I would buy a series XX or whatever they would call it if they made one. Especially if it means my current gen games not having to compromise between image quality and frame rate on a console.

Curios to see how it performs in real world as the gen progresses and devs push console hardware to its limits. Just how much better will it be and how well will it’s hardware hold up? Will there be situations where it’s held back by base PS5 in the way that series S holds back series X? Guess we’ll soon see.

It is pricey for a games console but if it delivers on fidelity and frame rate at the same time inna console format then…I say it’s probably worth the money.

But yo….. we are getting within spitting distance of PC gaming prices….. and with current gen consoles not taking price cuts, kind of makes me wonder what pricing will be like on next gen consoles.

Kind of makes MS console-PC hybrid for next gen seem more intriguing now.

Console gaming was always accessible from a price point but that has changed. This is a long way from the days of £155 for a snes in 1992 or 299 for a PS1 in 1995.

And I can’t shake the fact that we are four years into this gen and no price cuts on hardware, right when we are getting one mid cycle upgrade followed by switch 2.

sainraja

For the price they are asking? No.
Ah, interesting. Why do you think that? I know mid-gen upgrades aren't that typical and we saw it happen for the first time last gen, is this not as big of an upgrade as PS4 Pro or Xbox One X were from their predecessors?

This is false.
Is it really?

On Xbox, according to many here anyway, most of their sales are digital. PS has been heading that way too. There was a thread on that recently discussing this.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The cpu is not a bottle neck on consoles

Spider Man Lol GIF

Holy shit dude

Wait and see, wait and see. It was already apparent in Hogwarts legacy. Anything beyond RT shadows or reflections and it'll choke with complex scenes.

Kacho

Gold Member
I have made Xbox my 3rd party machine for most of this gen so far. But if I now have my PS5 Pro playing 3rd party games better than Xbox, I only need to go to the Series X for Gamepass. AKA games I don't feel like spending money on subscription.

Still, the beauty of having it all is great.
While I don't agree this is "good" for Xbox on any level, his argument about the price to performance value being uncompelling is on point looking at the reaction across the web (ignoring the fanboys who go to bat for everything). We're going to see just how big the enthusiast market is with the PS5 Pro.

Trippy

The presentation felt like a Digital Foundry video

“You see a bit more detail in the distant grass and what’s powering all this is PSSR”

I think it will leave your average joe who wouldn’t even know how to spell PSSR, rather underwhelmed.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
The presentation felt like a Digital Foundry video

“You see a bit more detail in the distant grass and what’s powering all this is PSSR”

I think it will leave your average joe who wouldn’t even know how to spell PSSR, rather underwhelmed.
That would be odd considering you have to spell out PSSR to say it. 😁

bundylove

Sony know their Euro market very well.
There is absolutely nothing threatening PlayStation’s complete stranglehold on gaming in Europe. Xbox is barely a blip on the radar and it’s rapidly fading (its relevance was limited to the 360 era) and the Switch, while successful, overlaps to no small degree with PS and PC as a complementary gaming system.
Sony doesn’t care if the Pro ends up at 1% of total PS5 sales in Europe. They just want it to be a choice. They know 90+ percent of PS5 sales in Europe will still be the base model. The Pro isn’t meant to shift market shares in a market that’s being predominantly Sony’s for almost 30 years and isn’t going to tip in the foreseeable future. They could pretty much price the pro €100 higher and it would only marginally affect its end-of-life sales.

SEVEN HUNDRED AND NINETY-NINE EURODOLLARS!
Yeah but how?

Conversion is way off. By almost 200 bucks.
Europe is getting screwed again

Yeah let’s ignore the cost of consoles adding up and the premium price of games being limited to one store.

Based on @delishcaek list

I tweaked a few items to have a pretty nice micro-atx case that is well received in the community.

Even cheaper with Intel 12400F which is plenty sufficient for gaming

7800 XT is probably too good comparatively.
You did not even meet one of my criteria's I put down, look pcs and consoles are 2 different things, if you buy a pc expecting it to be like a console, you will be very disappointed, pcs are a great Multipurpose machine, but they will never be as good as a console for gaming end of. yes I agree this ps5 pro is way overpriced and Sony can do one,

Last edited:

N30RYU

Who does this target??? PS5 Pro is a PS5 in quality mode running fps like in performance mode...

Cerny says in the video that 3/4 choose performance... so they don't care about graphics above fps... so they aten't gonna spend 800€ to run games again in 60fps...

And the 1/4 that run games in quality mode... they don't care about fps... so why would they spend the money to get 60fps??

I DON'T GET IT

clarky

Gold Member
Ah, interesting. Why do you think that? I know mid-gen upgrades aren't that typical and we saw it happen for the first time last gen, is this not as big of an upgrade as PS4 Pro or Xbox One X were from their predecessors?
A 50% increase in performance for double the price, with seemingly no big games to showcase why we need to upgrade, Apart from the Last of Us 2.

Is it really?

On Xbox, according to many here anyway, most of their sales are digital. PS has been heading that way too. There was a thread on that recently discussing this.
Hogwarts for example in the UK was 1:1 split, Fifa was 1:2 in favour of digital. Its not as big as you'd imagine and hardly the vast majority like the poster claimed.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
You did not even meet one of my criteria's I put down, look pcs and consoles are 2 different things, if you buy a pc expecting it to be like a console, you will very disappointed, pcs are a great Multipurpose machine, but they will never be as good a console for gaming end of.

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

You can absolutely make it like a console

You can literally have the Steam deck OS to your desktop, plug that baby on your TV and boot into a console like interface with a controller.

These prices are not even with any special deals. Just prices today. When you build a PC you spot the parts you want and wait for inevitable price drops. Waiting on good deals and you could turn that one into a full mini-ITX build

Last edited:

SweetTooth

Gold Member
Who does this target??? PS5 Pro is a PS5 in quality mode running fps like in performance mode...

Cerny says in the video that 3/4 choose performance... so they don't care about graphics above fps... so they aten't gonna spend 800€ to run games again in 60fps...

And the 1/4 that run games in quality mode... they don't care about fps... so why would they spend the money to get 60fps??

I DON'T GET IT

People who want to guarantee 60fps without sacrificing IQ/Assets?

This is what happens when TSMC is allowed to hold a monopoly on semiconductor manufacturing for volume production on the bleeding edge process nodes.

TSMC have been progressively increasing wafer pricing, almost eliminating wholesale the costs savings from re-engineering a product for a smaller process node. It's why the base console has seen only price increases since launch and no price drops, and so why the PS5 Pro is launching at this seemingly obscene price.

If nothing changes---and I don't expect it to anytime soon---next-gen is going to be the smallest generational leap in performance in the history of console gaming.

This is what happens when TSMC is allowed to hold a monopoly on semiconductor manufacturing for volume production on the bleeding edge process nodes.

TSMC have been progressively increasing wafer pricing, almost eliminating wholesale the costs savings from re-engineering a product for a smaller process node. It's why the base console has seen only price increases since launch and no price drops, and so why the PS5 Pro is launching at this seemingly obscene price.

If nothing changes---and I don't expect it to anytime soon---next-gen is going to be the smallest generational leap in performance in the history of console gaming.
Do you have any idea how much TSMC has to invest in equipment to make this stuff? Don't hate them because they are a leader and invest billions.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Based on those you could add an 4070 be 130 euro more expensive than the first example and still be cheaper than the ps5 pro plus 4 years of plus. It's mean better experience for less money which is pretty fucking insane.
"better experience" don't make me laugh man, holy shit you guys are funny.

Rat Rage

After Concord, now this?!

I've seen a lot of shit over the years, but man... is Sony FUCKED!

Sony named the PS5 Pro wrongly. They should have named it "Diminishing Returns The Console".

- A hardware upgrade NOBODY asked for.
- No disk drive. Yeah, let's shovel that consumer unfriendly digital future down anybody's throat.
- ABSOLUTELY ridiculous price.

Someone forgot to give Sony the memo that realistic graphics have reached a point of extreme diminishing returns.

Please tell me: how is the PS5 Pro gonna solve the immense problem of too expensive, unsustainable develpment coasts
that's plaguing the industry right now?
I mean, now that the PS5 Pro - allegedly - has double the power, there's even going to be more graphical fidelity nobody's going to be
able to fully use?

Sony needs to fire all of their managers and higher ups. They've clearly lost their minds.

Last edited:

sachos

Look i hate the price as much as anyone else but lets not pretend there is no difference or there will be no perceiveable difference in future games. Can't wait to see those DF comparisons.

GreatnessRD

$700 and no disc drive. You gotta be laced to buy this, lol.

"When you tired of paying for online... when you tired of being taken advantage of, come to The Master Race" - Suge GabeN, probably

All the people wanting this, here are you going to buy this over priced console? Remember when sony put out the ps3 for $599 and people bitched? I do , but that was worth it as it had a ps2 built in, cd /dvd/br a web browser and linux, this thing is just the ps5 with some more juice for the Graphic whores with expensive tvs. Its a auto pass for me due to price and since I only use 1080p anyway., but damn that price is crazy. You can build a better pc for that price.

tmlDan

Do you think the ps5 pro will have a better experience than a 5700x 3d and 4070rtx? For real?
a 4070 costs almost as much as a pro, even in the EU (min $460 Euro).

more than half the cost of the pro will go into the GPU, why do you think this is a fair comparison at all.

Top Bottom