• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

Fabieter

a 4070 costs almost as much as a pro, even in the EU (min $460 Euro).

more than half the cost of the pro will go into the GPU, why do you think this is a fair comparison at all.

The pro needs you the pay an extra 320 for playing online for the rest of the generation. So yes i think the comparison is completely fine in the eu.

What price were people expecting given the current PS5 price?

Cost of parts hasn't gone down, think I posted 1-2 years ago they will have to price stack in front. PS5 wasn't going to drop to $349 overnight to make way for a $550-600 pro.

Unfortunately they can't lower the standard price much so this is priced as you'd expect.

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

You can absolutely make it like a console

You can literally have the Steam deck OS to your desktop, plug that baby on your TV and boot into a console like interface with a controller.

These prices are not even with any special deals. Just prices today. When you build a PC you spot the parts you want and wait for inevitable price drops. Waiting on good deals and you could turn that one into a full mini-ITX build
And miss out on things like dx12, direct storage and Dlss, also many games don’t run on proton, ur a funny man, even if you use steam picture mode at start up, you need bring out the mouse and keyboard from time to time, can’t you just admit your wrong and we can move on.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So you stay at a digital only console? And dont have plus either i suppose. We already saw in this thread that you get a better pc for a similar price in europe.

James is
  • Digital only
  • Don't use online services or play online
  • Doesn't want to use stores... outside of Steam if it came to be? To support developers? He wants to pay full price day 1, even though he has no idea what gets to devs in the end.
  • Doesn't have an extra controller around, so it makes PC too expensive.
PS5 Pro was made just for him

And miss out on things like dx12, direct storage and Dlss, also many games don’t run on proton, ur a funny man, even if you use steam picture mode at start up, you need bring out the mouse and keyboard from time to time, can’t you just admit your wrong and we can move on.

Who cares about API? Proton is seamless and all the big releases are mainly gold on it and more so than ever with Steam deck making it popula. Hell its sometimes faster than windows. DLSS and other nvidia features have been supported in proton for like oh, a year ago at least? There's barely a game that uses direct storage and those that do barely had a difference with just an NVME drive. Unless you're an alt of Rofif and want to say that Forspoken is totally worth it.

But do you even remember that I picked an AMD RX 7800 XT though in the part list. 🤷‍♂️

I had a Node 202 build as a console size PC under my TV for like 3 years, without any logon, no keyboards, no mouse and never updated drivers. You're making it something it isn't.

Why don't you add that you need to go into motherboard jump pins and change IRQ adresses while you're at it? Its about as outdated views as you hold.

Last edited:
James is
  • Digital only
  • Don't use online services or play online
  • Doesn't want to use stores... outside of Steam if it came to be? To support developers? He wants to pay full price day 1, even though he has no idea what gets to devs in the end.
  • Doesn't have an extra controller around, so it makes PC too expensive.
PS5 Pro was made just for him

It’s made for people who primarily play on PlayStation that want a better version of it

If you primarily play on Xbox or PC it is likely not for you

This isn’t hard to understand

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
After Concord, now this?!

I've seen a lot of shit over the years, but man... is Sony FUCKED!

Sony named the PS5 Pro wrongly. They should have named it "Diminishing Returns The Console".

- A hardware upgrade NOBODY asked for.
- No disk drive. Yeah, let's shovel that consumer unfriendly digital future down anybody's throat.
- ABSOLUTELY ridiculous price.

Someone forgot to give Sony the memo that realistic graphics have reached a point of extreme diminishing returns.

Please tell me: how is the PS5 Pro gonna solve the immense problem of too expensive, unsustainable develpment coasts
that's plaguing the industry right now?
I mean, now that the PS5 Pro - allegedly - has double the power, there's even going to be more graphical fidelity nobody's going to be
able to fully use?

Sony needs to fire all of their managers and higher ups. They've clearly lost their minds.
Yes, games need shorter dev cycles and less emphasis on replicating Hollywood. Better framerate and image quality settings are nice, but we're already approaching decade long dev times to the point where nothing is even coming out anymore. But Sony chose its path. Switch 2 will be the place for bailing out of the graphics wars.

Little Mac

Gold Member
10 months ago I bought a PS5 Slim with a drive and a digital copy of Spider-Man 2 for $499. I think I even got a gift card with it?

Come on now Sony. For $699 and no drive, throw in GT or like 6 months of ps plus ffs.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
This is what happens when TSMC is allowed to hold a monopoly on semiconductor manufacturing for volume production on the bleeding edge process nodes.

TSMC have been progressively increasing wafer pricing, almost eliminating wholesale the costs savings from re-engineering a product for a smaller process node. It's why the base console has seen only price increases since launch and no price drops, and so why the PS5 Pro is launching at this seemingly obscene price.

If nothing changes---and I don't expect it to anytime soon---next-gen is going to be the smallest generational leap in performance in the history of console gaming.
Yes, there was article not so long ago, how they are increasing prices for their <5nm node, which is historical, given that it normally goes lower as the time wents on

Spyxos

Gold Member
It's time for all you "boomers" to move on with the times and stop complaining about a "disk drive" ... we got rid of those decades ago in the PC world and it's perfectly fine.
Physical games are way cheaper here even on day 1. No way i am gonna pay the digital tax.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's $900+ CAD without the drive.

Someone posted a picture earlier from a canadian guy getting a response from PS CA.

edit:

Holy shit.

The accurate exchange rate is actually $952, but instead of giving gamers a break in pricing like now with games and hardware where a game is $90 cdn and not $95 etc…. A price of $960 is actually even higher than the current exchange rate. They could had just made it almost 1:1 at $950 but they actually rounded UP to get the extra $10 so they gain on exchange rate too.

Wow

Last edited:

Valonquar

Bleh... another garish white shell on the pro... I'm guessing my OG PS5 black replacement shells won't fit. There goes an additional $50.
I am more concerned about what the added GPU power is gonna do to the cooling fan noise level.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Gold Member
After Concord, now this?!

I've seen a lot of shit over the years, but man... is Sony FUCKED!

Sony named the PS5 Pro wrongly. They should have named it "Diminishing Returns The Console".

- A hardware upgrade NOBODY asked for.
- No disk drive. Yeah, let's shovel that consumer unfriendly digital future down anybody's throat.
- ABSOLUTELY ridiculous price.

Someone forgot to give Sony the memo that realistic graphics have reached a point of extreme diminishing returns.

Please tell me: how is the PS5 Pro gonna solve the immense problem of too expensive, unsustainable develpment coasts
that's plaguing the industry right now?
I mean, now that the PS5 Pro - allegedly - has double the power, there's even going to be more graphical fidelity nobody's going to be
able to fully use?

Sony needs to fire all of their managers and higher ups. They've clearly lost their minds.
This is the same company that thought releasing PSVR2 when they did was a good idea.

I'm honestly blown away by how Sony is handling this. It's like they're completely disregarding their most dedicated fans. They know how passionate hardcore gamers are, and how even small gestures of goodwill can turn them into loyal advocates for the brand. But instead, they've taken the opposite approach. They've removed the disc drive—a feature that a lot of hardcore gamers and collectors still care about. And to make it worse, they’re bundling the same Astrobot game as before, with no meaningful updates or cool new features. Yet, they present it like they're doing us a favor. Then there's the price—$699. That’s not just expensive, it pushes the PS5 Pro out of impulse-buy territory and into the absurd, almost reminiscent of the 3DO days. This feels like a complete misstep, especially for the fans who’ve supported them the most. At bare minimum why not include some PS store credit to get a game or two? Make it feel like a premium purchase.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is the same company that thought releasing PSVR2 when they did was a good idea.

I'm honestly blown away by how Sony is handling this. It's like they're completely disregarding their most dedicated fans. They know how passionate hardcore gamers are, and how even small gestures of goodwill can turn them into loyal advocates for the brand. But instead, they've taken the opposite approach. They've removed the disc drive—a feature that a lot of hardcore gamers and collectors still care about. And to make it worse, they’re bundling the same Astrobot game as before, with no meaningful updates or cool new features. Yet, they present it like they're doing us a favor. Then there's the price—$699. That’s not just expensive, it pushes the PS5 Pro out of impulse-buy territory and into the absurd, almost reminiscent of the 3DO days. This feels like a complete misstep, especially for the fans who’ve supported them the most.
and the funny thing is PS brand is way more global than Xbox which is most popular in US/Can/UK where internet is the norm.

What happened to the argument tons of PS gamers live in smaller countries with crappy internet. So discs are important.

Now a disc drive is an optional priced accessories which they and store makes money off.

They could had just offered two models and a disc version is at a value priced with disc drive price subsidized.

Add in the vertical stand like PS5 OG and they are going to as much profitable accessories pricing as possible

RCX

It’s made for people who primarily play on PlayStation that want a better version of it

If you primarily play on Xbox or PC it is likely not for you

This isn’t hard to understand
I figure at least some of the intention is to try and keep performance focused players in the PS ecosystem.

Game performance is dropping as the gen wears on and a lot of these people might be tempted to head to PC territory. Cerny's presentation said 75% of people choose performance modes (a lot higher than I expected tbh) and it would serve them well to keep them happy.

hinch7

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

You can absolutely make it like a console

You can literally have the Steam deck OS to your desktop, plug that baby on your TV and boot into a console like interface with a controller.

These prices are not even with any special deals. Just prices today. When you build a PC you spot the parts you want and wait for inevitable price drops. Waiting on good deals and you could turn that one into a full mini-ITX build
And this is before RNDA 4 and Blackwell. One of the big benefits of going console is lesser upfront cost. Now that the gap has been diminished you're left with one premium price for a very specific piece of hardware for gaming and entertainment purposes only.

The value proposition is is looking kind of sus when you can almost build a near comparative PC with separate components and brands and still come close to the sum of the PS5 Pro - peripherals non withstanding.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I figure at least some of the intention is to try and keep performance focused players in the PS ecosystem.

Game performance is dropping as the gen wears on and a lot of these people might be tempted to head to PC territory. Cerny's presentation said 75% of people choose performance modes (a lot higher than I expected tbh) and it would serve them well to keep them happy.
That’s what PS4 Pro was for. One of the execs said they did it so gamers looking for better console performance can go Pro instead of flipping to PC

So PS5 Pro should be the same strategy.

Last edited:

bundylove

Yup. So is Japan. Regional pricing is looking very off.
I just came back from japan in may . Was there for a month.
In japan you can eat for virtualy nothing. I saved so much money on food its insane. And thats for 3 people.
So over there at least you can have some savings in your everyday life.
But here?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just came back from japan in may . Was there for a month.
In japan you can eat for virtualy nothing. I saved so much money on food its insane. And thats for 3 people.
So over there at least you can have some savings in your everyday life.
But here?
I was in Hong Kong 10 years ago visiting. I couldn’t believe how cheap and reasonably priced food and stuff was. Taxis were practically free. Wtf? Some stuff was cheaper than Canada converted. I could buy a single beer at a convenience store cheaper than a bottle coming from a 24 pack here.

But then you read about price of a condo and it’s insane.

Fabieter

Nah, not really...maybe by 50 bucks Europe gets screwed. 799€ is with VAT included. $699 is without.

Even if that's the case. Why would we care? I actually looked it up and Sony is doing their company taxes for eu in Netherlands which is cheaper than the company taxes in cali. So do they give is cheaper products because of that? Eu pricing is rigged and deserves to be shifted at.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
And this is before RNDA 4 and Blackwell. One of the big benefits of going console is lesser upfront cost. Now that the gap has been diminished you're left with one premium price for a very specific piece of hardware for gaming and entertainment purposes only.

The value proposition is is looking kind of sus when you can almost build a near comparative PC with separate components and brands and still come close to the sum of the PS5 Pro - peripherals non withstanding.

RDNA 4 might just topple this debate once and for all since they aim for mid range low prices.

THE:MILKMAN

Well it was fun following all the leaks........

£800 with a disc drive (non negotiable for me) is just crazy talk. If the PS3 price was Sony's Icarus moment then what is this?

Limiting the market by this much is just hurting themselves ultimately. Devs aren't going to put much effort/resources into new features for what will likely be <10% of the userbase.

I still hope to pick up a PS5 near end of life if pricing comes down to more reasonable levels but sadly I really don't think they ever will.

Still, bring on the leaks for the PS6/whatever the fuck Xbox come up with.

Top Bottom