• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

nial

It will include a 2TB SSD, a DualSense wireless controller and a copy of Astro’s Playroom pre-installed in every PS5 Pro purchase.
Hideaki Nishino is a fucking chad. On the top.

It says something about this generation when they're showing 4 or 5 PS4 games too.
  • TLOU2
  • Hogwarts
  • GoW
  • GoT
Edit: also that price is ridiculous. It's not a new gen, so still the same CPU restraints. I'd say, stick to your current console or buy a PC.

Main reason I’ve been wondering why we even need this machine. Where are the games that demand it? We’ve barely left cross gen behind.

You want to play your old physical games with better quality on the PS5 Pro??

Just pay 920€. It's a bargain.

planet-of-the-apes-laugh.gif

Terrible presentation of a premium product.

How do they even call this a technical presentation is beyond me.

Still buying it but it doesnt feel like i need it. And thats the problem. Nobody feels like they would get their monies worth . That price also alienates a large group of people sadly. And at that point just go all in and give us a high end pc level of pro. Make it a 1000 bucks.
Or just don't buy it. These mid gen consoles are a rip off of the highest order. Why are people such graphic whores they can't wait a few years for the next console? Why is native 4k so important? I don't get it. (I also am still on 1080p as my tv from 2013 is great and has tons of inputs that modern tvs lack). Graphics aren't everything and it feels like there is diminishing returns.

Not to mention the limited software. AAA games are barely being made, unless you like online multiplayer w/gaas. For single player gamers its few and far between, unfortunately. Plus most awesome new gameplay is on indie games and they aren't graphical powerhouses.

Last edited:

Euler007

I came around on the 2TB storage. I was expecting 1TB and to immediately throw in a 2TB in there, 2TB will be fine for a while, saved me a hundred bucks right there.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Did they say if it has anything to make use of it?

Like is there a few defacto games to take advantage of it?

Otherwise wait for GTA bundles lol.

Do you have any idea how much TSMC has to invest in equipment to make this stuff? Don't hate them because they are a leader and invest billions.

None of that is relevant.

Do you think they have been successively increasing prices because of increased R&D investment (which is a one-off, one-time cost)? Or are they doing it to boost their margins because they can; because they have no competition, because GF, Samsung and Intel are close to a decade behind them now on the bleeding edge EUV process nodes.

Or just don't buy it. These mid gen consoles are a rip off of the highest order. Why are people such graphic whores they can't wait a few years for the next console? Why is native 4k so important? I don't get it. (I also am still on 1080p as my tv from 2013 is great and has tons of inputs that modern tvs lack). Graphics aren't everything and it feels like there is diminishing returns.

Not to mention the limited software. AAA games are barely being made, unless you like online multiplayer w/gaas. For single player gamers its few and far between, unfortunately. Plus most awesome new gameplay is on indie games and they aren't graphical powerhouses.

Counterpoint: I have. 77” LG OLED tv and want games to look pretty and run well, but love the ease of use of a console.

What is wrong with providing the market with more options?

They are probably not targeting kids with the Pro console. We can debate if that is a good or bad thing all day long but the price is likely staying; also, I don't think many kids are posting here... are they? Adults/grown-ups seem to be complaining here about the price.

If you want the latest/greatest, you have to pay. If you don't, then you don't pay.
If you want to pay less, you wait.
Honestly I am glad my kids are grown and out of the house. Shit, no parent except for the super wealthy would buy their kids this shit. Hell I didn't even buy mine consoles, they got to use my stuff and they got $99 DS , 3DS, PSP And Vitas. If they were kids today they would get switch light. You know how much consoles cost in the 80s when I was a kid, Action set $99 /159 depending on year and it came with 2 games , 2 controllers and a zapper. This shit today is a total rip-off, outside of nintendo. I don't have faith in them either, their next console will be over $500 mark my words, and probably will fuck us all with no Backwards compatibility or cart slot (just so they can resell you the games you already own).

WE need a industry crash!

Elitro

I'll enjoy those ray tracings in a PS6.
And I have to say, despite preferring digital, with the current prices the 2 games I bought on release were significantly cheaper on disc, so I kinda like to have it.

bundylove

Well. 1080p tv......

Ok so i got myself a new 85 inch qn95c.
Good midd range tv but its enough for me.
The problem is. At that size , you see every problem. Shimmer galore. And judder galore at 30fps due to size.

It will be a big image upgrade for me and for that alone its worth it.

But most wont be able to tell. Especialy with their 1080 p screens. You cant even get 120fps out of your base ps5 on a 1080p screen

No you don't. You have way more games. Still play playstation games in a reasonable time frame. Mods. Don't have to pay for online.

It's 920 euro
+80 euro for plus every years let's say until 2028(end of generation)

That would put your budget to 1240 euro and that's before cheaper game prices.

Iam no PC master race. I like PC and consoles but this is nuts. Why are people defending it? Like wtf.

Whats a reasonable time frame for you? Demon Souls still isn't out. GT7 still isn't out. PC got the new R&C but 2016 still isn't out. MLB The Show still isn't out and Sony even put that on Xbox and still skipped PC. Blood Borne obviously still isn't out.

To me I defend it because it's completely optional. You don't even have to buy this console to play PS5 games. You can buy the base console you're good to go. They put out a premium product with a premium price and you're free to purchase it or ignore it.

vpance

Did they need to hold off on the reveal then? You need to give a reason for people to get excited about a Pro console and showing off the visual differences would be the absolute minimum for a premium product especially one at an unheard of $700 in this industry.

Plastic stand being sold separately is another thing. As if you needed another reason to piss off the consumer you can't even bundle in a piece of plastic for your top of the line console. Some people will look at that as PS trying to fleece the consumer.
Its like buying an Mercedes Benz S-Class AMG and having to pay extra for heated leather seats. Like WTF

I don't get it. Put some effort into your presentations. Give people a reason to want a Pro console. The way they went about revealing this thing is not doing that and I won't be surprised if the amount of negative media articles on this is going to increase over time.

I said in a previous post, there's something seriously wrong with the current PS leadership.

I mean yeah it was an absolute bottom of the barrel presentation. Cost cutting is probably a theme floating around headquarters over there these days so I'm sure this is kind of the result of that.

We had Horizon which is what sold me on the Pro back then. Nothing this time around which is funny but not expected as this gen has been weak on innovative, graphical boundary pushing games.

For the target market though, honestly it's basically enough. Like a lot of people on this board who are in that category. I just think it'll have less market share than PS4 Pro did last gen.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yep, PC gaming where Nvidia is so well known for their value mindset. ;)

Dude. The price of this idiotic console is so high, you could quite easily put together a decent gaming PC for not really that much more, and benefit from an open ecosystem with more games, priced better.

Or, spend more initially, and still have a PC that will piss over this thing for a long time to come.

The value proposition of the PlayStation has fucking plummeted.

Fabieter

Whats a reasonable time frame for you? Demon Souls still isn't out. GT7 still isn't out. PC got the new R&C but 2016 still isn't out. MLB The Show still isn't out and Sony even put that on Xbox and still skipped PC. Blood Borne obviously still isn't out.

To me I defend it because it's completely optional. You don't even have to buy this console to play PS5 games. You can buy the base console you're good to go. They put out a premium product with a premium price and you're free to purchase it or ignore it.

Horizon forbidden west is there and gowr is coming this month. The ammount will be smaller over time not bigger.

Yea its pretty awesome that you have four years of crossgen and by the time crossgen seems over we get a new gen for almost the same money as a mid end gaming PC. It's bad value and shouldn't be defended.

eNT1TY

Watch this thing still sell out during the holidays and scalped for a cool k and the remainder returned en masse two weeks after new years.

I came around on the 2TB storage. I was expecting 1TB and to immediately throw in a 2TB in there, 2TB will be fine for a while, saved me a hundred bucks right there.
I have a 1TB drive that I will transfer over to the Pro, so 3TB total (I know its a bit less than that) will be a nice improvement over my current setup.

lifa-cobex

Dude. The price of this idiotic console is so high, you could quite easily put together a decent gaming PC for not really that much more, and benefit from an open ecosystem with more games, priced better.

Or, spend more initially, and still have a PC that will piss over this thing for a long time to come.

People get it in their heads that you have to have the latest GPU, CPU to be a contender.

I absolutely guarantee you could get an entire rig together for under that price.
Not only that but you can upgrade bits as you go on in the future and you end up leap frogging the console specs.

That price is absolutely nuts.
It's genuinely stunned me.

King Dazzar

He does make a good point though. For me it seems we have two choices. Get rogered by Nvidia or by Sony. Neither are awe inspiring customer friendly financial propositions.

Horizon forbidden west is there and gowr is coming this month. The ammount will be smaller over time not bigger.

Yea its pretty awesome that you have four years of crossgen and by the time crossgen seems over we get a new gen for almost the same money as a mid end gaming PC. It's bad value and shouldn't be defended.

Yea but the problem with this statement is that you have to lie in order to make it true. R&C was not cross gen. Demon Souls was not cross gen. Returnal was not Cross gen. FF7R was not cross gen. Spiderman 2 was not cross gen. Stellar Blade was not cross gen. HD2 was not cross gen. Do you see the issue? You lied to make things seem worse and for what?

The amount might be smaller over time sure I can agree with that. I guess it depends on the consumer if they want to switch to PC and hope that you're right. IMO Sony's approach to porting games to PC is to all over the place to really say what the hell they are going to do one way or the other. I'm not even sure they have the teams available to really shorten the time anymore then they already have.

Last edited:
Crazy generation. Sony have no games, and show off last gen games for a new 700 system. Xbox have games, yet can’t sale and is force to be 3rd party. What a shame. What favoritism and fanboys can cause and that brand the number 1 in it field.

Fabieter

Yea but the problem with this statement is that you have to lie in order to make it true. R&C was not cross gen. Demon Souls was not cross gen. Returnal was not Cross gen. FF7R was not cross gen. Spiderman 2 was not cross gen. Stellar Blade was not cross gen. HD2 was not cross gen. Do you see the issue? You lied to make things seem worse and for what?

The amount might be smaller over time sure I can agree with that. I guess it depends on the consumer if they want to switch to PC and hope that you're right. IMO Sony's approach to porting games to PC is to all over the place to really say what the hell they are going to do one way or the other. I'm not even sure they have the teams available to really shorten the time anymore then they already have.

Having like five next gen games in four years is basically nothing.

They bought studios especially for porting. It will get be even shorter over time. They are insane to sell hardware for that kinda price with that kinda value.

jcorb

Oof, shit is pricey. And yeah, bummer the disc drive is a separate purchase to boot (though I do appreciate the idea of it being modular).

Suppose I will just continue sitting on the fence until it goes on sale.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
He does make a good point though. For me it seems we have two choices. Get rogered by Nvidia or by Sony. Neither are awe inspiring customer friendly financial propositions.

You don’t need to get rogered by Nvidia if you buy something less new. And you’ll still have a PC that will play modern games at a decent fidelity and frame rate. The PS5 Pro has zero point at this price.

Having like five next gen games in four years is basically nothing.

They bought studios especially for porting. It will get be even shorter over time. They are insane to sell hardware for that kinda price with that kinda value.

I thought they only bought one studio for porting?

Last edited:

The best thing about my devotion to PlayStation is that my butt cheeks spread wider every year

near

Gold Member
It will. Sony is the Apple of consoles now. Consumers wont say no.
Sony is no Apple. Apple have built their brand on being premium and bespoke. PlayStation has historically never tried to alienate the market in that way. The PS5 Pro is targeting the hardcore and enthusiasts. Most people that consider buying a PS5 will just opt for the base model, just look at the overall reaction on socials right now.

Top Bottom