• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

Bojji

What the hell is this notation? You do know that $ is not some generic symbol for a "sum of money", but means dollars, right? So, what is "pound dollars" or "euro dollars"?

MD5iPJr.png

"Get rich or die trying" - should be marketing slogan for PS5 Pro.

Surprised it comes with a controller tbh.

And cables.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PSVR1 was also niche, but PSVR2 is even more niche.

Can you guess why?

Sony is trying to become wannabe Apple, but home consoles aren't iPhones.
About 10 years ago there was an article I read where some Sony exec (not gaming I dont think) said they want to be the Apple of electronics. It was around the time PS4 took off blowing by Xbox. I know for sure it would had been before PS4 Pro launched. So maybe 2015 or early 2016.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never understood why they had to acquire Bungie in the first place.

Bungie is responsible for cancelling ND's MP project.

If Sony truly cares about MP gamers, all they have to do is remaster classic MP games from the PS3 era (Uncharted + Killzone).

It would have been a lot cheaper than acquiring Bungie & Firewalk.

I really don't understand their moves. They keep alienating their PS3 audience (people who supported Sony during hard times).
Agreed.

Just big time remaster or remake K2 or K3 and modernize it with more social stuff and mtx. Those games were two generations ago and many gamers never even played them. Would be easier and faster than trying to make a new shooter from the ground up and less costly than buying a third party studio.

Kacho

Gold Member
Ps6 in 2 years so does the next xbox, sony already stealed 2 years from the pro life cycle, you can't speak for everyone who justify both these consoles from Sony cause they are reacting to Microsoft, not the consumer.
Sony isn’t releasing the PS6 2 years after dropping a $700 mid gen refresh.

About 10 years ago there was an article I read where some Sony exec (not gaming I dont think) said they want to be the Apple of electronics. It was around the time PS4 took off blowing by Xbox. I know for sure it would had been before PS4 Pro launched. So maybe 2015 or early 2016.
But console gaming will always be niche compared to smartphones... this is an exercise in futility IMHO.

There are billions of phones out there, but only 100 million current-gen consoles.

Remember when the internet absolutely shit itself in rage at the PS3 costing FIVE HUNDRED AND 99 US DOLLARS?

Now they have the balls to charge 100 dollars more?

AND you have to spend 80 extra dollars to have a disc drive? which is required because repeat after me, there is no point to a console without a disc drive.

This is purely insane and I was seriously considering getting a PS5 pro until this, you may have as well put this money towards a good PC.

Seeing the backlash on price makes me wonder if dedicated hardware is still relevent to the casuals. Ps6 launch is gonna be rough price wise, but sony could offer a streaming box option as well for like half the price.

Rob_27

I dont want to spend it but probably will. I just hope more games are patched unlike the ps4 pro.

I will prob feel like I wasted my money later. And we will all be rooting MS to bring a nice powerful machine at a reasonable price to compete.

Sony isn’t releasing the PS6 2 years after dropping a $700 mid gen refresh.
What's the point of releasing PS6 so soon?

I mean, it's not like they have a magic wand to speed up AAA game development. Do they?

PS6 will be released sometime between 2028 (at the earliest) and 2030 (at the latest).

Feel free to bookmark me.

Hell, I don't even understand those rumors about MS releasing next-gen XBOX in 2025. They don't have a magic wand either...

Only AI as a game dev could potentially save them, but it's too early for that (could take another 10-15 years according to nVidia's CEO).

scydrex

Was going to be day 1 for me. After the show thinking about it. Now don't think so. Would like to get a Pro but will wait for a sale or something.

I would have swallow it for $700 with disk but $800? No.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Seeing the backlash on price makes me wonder if dedicated hardware is still relevent to the casuals. Ps6 launch is gonna be rough price wise, but sony could offer a streaming box option as well for like half the price.
Hey you never know. With companies big on high margins as opposed to unit count, maybe Sony's data shows most profits come from core gamers. The super casuals buying consoles for historically breakeven or even a loss plus their handful of games a year with zero mtx because they dont give a shit isnt worth going after anymore.

Just focus on the core who will buy more expensive profitable machines, as they should (in theory) also be the big spenders on games, gamepads, subs and mtx. The super casual guy might just play F2P games and never pay a dime. So it's not worth the hassle. I dont think Sony even requires a PS+ sub for F2P games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Kids born that year are now 18. We can't compare both prices, come on now. PS3 in today's money is more expensive.
But we can compare relative terms between OG ad Pro in more recent years.

PS4 OG launch with a drive $400. PS4 Pro with a drive $400.

PS5 OG launch with a drive $500. PS5 Pro adding optional drive $780. Even skipping the drive, it's still $200 more.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Going full pc where prices are much higher

lol ok

To an extent yes. However, on PC you aren't paying a monthly/yearly fee to merely have the privilege to play online. Plus the game library is far larger than the walled garden console approach.

Console gaming is no longer the drastically cheaper alternative. Plus if you are willing to wait a bit, there is a good chance Sony will release their games on PC.

clarky

Gold Member
Have been waiting to finally jump into the Playstation ecosystem.

Looks like that wait will continue after today.
Mate shits been around 30 years. I highly doubt youve been waiting but were hoping to jump in at the 5th gen refresh point.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Remember when the internet absolutely shit itself in rage at the PS3 costing FIVE HUNDRED AND 99 US DOLLARS?

Now they have the balls to charge 100 dollars more?

AND you have to spend 80 extra dollars to have a disc drive? which is required because repeat after me, there is no point to a console without a disc drive.

This is purely insane and I was seriously considering getting a PS5 pro until this, you may have as well put this money towards a good PC.

I think the price is a bit to steep and $100 less would have been the sweet spot, but nearly 20 years have passed since that initial PS3 price and there is such a thing known as inflation over the past two decades, which has been particularly high in recent years. On top of that the increasing cost of both components and manufacturing is well known and so I think your notion that is purely insane is quite hyperbolic imo.

They are probably selling this at a marginal profit.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Sony's really out here charging €799 for a PS5 Pro without a disc drive, then slapping another €120 for the drive and €25 for a stand. At this point, they'll probably start selling the power cable separately, calling it the "Essential Gaming Experience Upgrade." How far will they go before they start charging for air to cool the system down?

OuterLimits

$700. "vertical stand sold separately"....."disc drive sold separately". Good Lord. PS4 Pro was about 20% of the units sold. This will be lucky to be in the 10%-15% range.

RedC

Mate shits been around 30 years. I highly doubt youve been waiting but were hoping to jump in at the 5th gen refresh point.
I should've clarified jumping into the Playstation ecosystem in terms of digital. I got a PS1 and PS2 the day they came out but ever since I got an OG Xbox, I have been with Xbox ever since.

However I do want to jump in at some point to play Playstation exclusives (PS4 and PS4) and build out my digital library. I was thinking PS5 Pro, but now may just wait until PS6.

Last edited:

IAmRei

If they are coming in black, maybe. If not, i font like the design, i really dont :/ or maybe i can put sticker or something...

And the price is still fine i think. Better than buying PC right now in my place

I don't know you guys but I think is a bit expensive without the disk drive. With the disk drive and taxes it will cost $850 for me. It is a lot considering that a subscription is also needed. Not many kids will have a ps5 pro this year from Santa.

clarky

Gold Member
WTF at that price. If you have that money you'd be better buying a decent PC me thinks
Depends on what you call a decent PC. But they are definitely skirting the line here.

Makes you wonder what xbox's next is going to be priced at. After today its definitely way over a grand imo

Last edited:
Top Bottom