• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It’s wild to me you’ll likely be able to trade your PS5 in and still have to drop another $400+ for the Pro. $500 if you need the disc drive.

Back in the day I traded in my PS4 for a PS4 Pro and it was an extra $140.

simpatico

Gold Member
$600.... Bungie big time bombing..... $650...... Concord bombed after two weeks.....

"Hello gamers, the PS5 Pro digital system will be $700 US. Vertical stand and disc drive are extra purchases."
We also have to be cognizant of Sony potentially bricking them all with an OTA update 6 days after launch and issuing refunds. It's unlikely, but as we've seen in the past, not out of the question. Consider it at least before you sell your PS5.

Last edited:
$700. "vertical stand sold separately"....."disc drive sold separately". Good Lord. PS4 Pro was about 20% of the units sold. This will be lucky to be in the 10%-15% range.
Yep. If PS4 Pro was for the PS4 diehards, PS5 Pro is for the super duper, ultra die-hards that don’t care about money at all. An audience exists, I’m sure. But whether it’s even half the size of the PS4 Pro base is totally up in the air.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Based on those you could add an 4070 be 130 euro more expensive than the first example and still be cheaper than the ps5 pro plus 4 years of plus. It's mean better experience for less money which is pretty fucking insane.
How you powering that beast and how much per month will it cost extra on your electricity bills?

You can't play outlaws of assasins creed without ubi plus which is 15 a month or you use the clusterfuck which is epic games store.

Eszti

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if next gen everyone stops bundling HDMI cables since most people have them around already. Go full Apple.
i just made a joke but really sony is the apple/nvidia of consoles. they raised ps plus too, controllers, a stand costing 30€ is insane its just plastic but hey apple wants 999€ for that. so not to bad right. disc drive 120€ so on. but thats what no competition will give you just like nvidia where amd is no competition at all.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As I said days ago, Sony has lost its mind.

Without new games, without exclusives and with a price through the roof. The perfect formula to lose your audience and not attract new ones.
I think it's all about margin. The company's gaming division has had it's margin drop from a consistent 13% for 3-4 years to 6% last few. And going by Bungie and Concord twirling down the tube lately, a jacked up PS5 Pro system for probably $100 more than it should be improves margins.

salva

What a weird reveal, I get that it's targeted at those that care about this stuff. But it failed to show the real power of it. Some examples of increased frame rates and resolution - but no major graphical improvements like better textures or extra graphical enhancements. The games look slightly better, but so minuscule and not a major night/day difference imo.
Although, I don't remember the PS4 Pro and Xbone X reveals... they were probably similar?
I dunno, there's just nothing there to make me say I want one - whereas the pro models last gen felt "better"...

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What a weird reveal, I get that it's targeted at those that care about this stuff. But it failed to show the real power of it. Some examples of increased frame rates and resolution - but no major graphical improvements like better textures or extra graphical enhancements. The games look slightly better, but so minuscule and not a major night/day difference imo.
Although, I don't remember the PS4 Pro and Xbone X reveals... they were probably similar?

The PS4 Pro brought 4K and HDR to the table. I got the PS4 Pro at the same time I bought a 4K OLED TV and boy, you could clearly see PS4 games running in HDR 2160p (checkerboarded) looked much better than the same game in 1080p.

But I think most people will need zoomed in side by side comparisons to notice much of a difference between games running on PS5 and PS5 Pro.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So glad I got my regular PS5 with disc drive when I did.

$950 CAD lmfao. $700 USD.
Actually $960 CDN. The disc drive will probably be at least $100 CDN too if the US price is $80.

Currency exchange makes it $952, but they actually had the gall to round UP the price to the nearest $10 instead of rounding down to $949.99 CDN. They are scraping every dollar.

Bare bones $960 console only + Ontario 13% tax = $1,085.

Add in optional disc drive, or a retailer forces gamers a bundled game or second gamepad and youre at $1,200+

Last edited:
None of that is relevant.

Do you think they have been successively increasing prices because of increased R&D investment (which is a one-off, one-time cost)? Or are they doing it to boost their margins because they can; because they have no competition, because GF, Samsung and Intel are close to a decade behind them now on the bleeding edge EUV process nodes.
Of course it is relevant. The more you have invested the more you need to pay back and they are the only ones in the world that can produce what they can. Their investment is in machinery and good talent in process engineers. I've been inside the TSMC fabs, amazing what they have built. Not sure what you mean by R&D being a one time cost.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not getting one unless I see one for cheap on FB marketplace after release (which isn't going to happen) and even if I were to get one, 99% of my games are physical so what's the point?!

I guess when PS6 happens I'll contemplate going full digital.

kyussman

Given I've not had any desire to game this gen yet and with only one game on the horizon I would like to experience(Death Stranding 2),I was wondering if they could tempt me with the arrival of a PS5 Pro........but I guess not,lol.

clarky

Gold Member
They should have got this down to £599 somehow. 1tb or something much more palatable and would have made the 2tb Series X look like a stupid proposition. As it stands both look insanely priced.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Anyone else done with gaming after this gen? Most games are trash pushing agenda and Sony has fucking lost the plot. I see myself playing very less and less games these days.

I’m still playing but my desire/excitement to buy new hardware is dead right now. Our first grandkid is on the way, and I’m so much more interested in deciding what vehicle I want to buy next year.

My YouTube feed is almost entirely cooking, weightlifting, and truck videos these days. Videogames have fallen off the algorithm.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
$700
stand and disk drive not included.

LMAO it's ps3 all over again
The Ps3 was actually not that bad. the chip bit the devs in the ass but yeah. you got a bluray player, dvd player, music player, music storage was possible and gaming and so on. was it expensive? yes but bluray was new and was extremely expensive at that time.

the pso pro is in fact much worse you cant even watch vlurays on it until you spent even more. 45% gpu power is a joke. any pc player can tell you that how fast 45% will poof in the air if wanted. hell even 100% is nothing in the days of rt.

But I think most people will need zoomed in side by side comparisons to notice much of a difference between games running on PS5 and PS5 Pro.

actually I can tell easily the resolution hit to tlou2 when going to 60 fps mode which is why I played it at 30 instead

You can test many games out by switching between fidelity and performance s d it’s a decent hit to IQ

StereoVsn

is the controller sold separately?
Don’t give them any ideas! Here is a picture of Sony VP reading this thread:

200w.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Skimming the comparison pics Cerny showed, I couldnt even tell the difference. I had to expand the video as big as possible and if there was a difference it was so small.

Probably the biggest difference will be frame rates. Just like recent consoles bumping older games. If you can get a bump from 30 to 60, that'll be a huge jump alone, compared to 60 vs 60 + tiny improvements.

It's like playing F4 or Skyrim at 60 fps on X, while older consoles were a stodgy 30. These boosts will be huge.

Last edited:
Skimming the comparison pics Cerny showed, I couldnt even tell the difference. I had to expand the video as big as possible and if there was a difference it was so small.

Probably the biggest difference will be frame rates. Just like recent consoles bumping older games. If you can get a bump from 30 to 60, that'll be a huge jump alone, compared to 60 vs 60 + tiny improvements.

It's like playing F4 or Skyrim at 60 fps on X, while older consoles were a stodgy 30. These boosts will be huge.

You can try any ps5 game in fidelity vs perf, like TLOU or SM2

Bojji

Complete missed opportunity to show new games that actually need this. Sony is so lost.

Yep, "what games should we show to display the power of our new 800 euro console?" - shows 2020 PS4 games...

Microsoft's offerings are looking pretty good these days, lol..

TBH, not really. MS has good offer only on PC.

I expected Pro to be 600$/600 euro max, but with this price I like my 3080ti/5800x3d combo so much more. I can change nothing and have PS5 Pro level of power (that I already have for more than 2 years) or change GPU only and have much better experience. I will keep my disc PS5 for japanese games on discs and time exclusives.

Last edited:

lordrand11

So how come you don't laugh when Nvidia charge you £1000-1500+ for a GPU???
Staying one generation behind Nvidia still puts me in a hella solid lead from the PS5 both in terms of raw power/gameplay power on top of pricing. Your top of the line is literally 2-3 gens behind every time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The YouTube chat was roasting the fuck out of Cerny during that part
Out the clips I saw, the comparisons were so quick you really had to follow along fast. The only part I noticed where there was some better detail right off the bat was (I think) Spiderman trees. I think it was Spiderman that was shown.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Those two should just forget about exclusives and kiss already.

Likou

Banned
Mark Cerny was like..... "Hey PS5 Pro Ratchet and Clank parade is way better than PS5 OG" I couldnt even tell in that short clip what he was talking about. Looked like the same thing.
It's less blurry but that's it, it's like a 20% improvement on something that you'll barely pay any attention. Unless you're an "DF gamer" that stops all the time to make comparisons and play at the two consoles at the same time, you'll not notice how better things are.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's not a new generation because it's the PS5 Pro. Not a PS6.
Yup upgrade version old system that cost close to $950 CAD….which also doesn’t come with basic feature like a fucking disc drive…..didn’t Sony think about the fact most of the consumer buy physical copy?

Last edited:
Top Bottom