• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

ZehDon

You sure about that homey? Cross gen is still a thing, ain’t nobody making exclusive games for a $1000 MS Xbox
Actually, the hybrid-PC approach means no one has to anymore: if it works on PC, it'll work on their hardware. The real question there is the price. Their dockable handheld will be the entry level device, and the big boy console will be their PS6 competitor - how much does that hardware cost in 2025/26? Microsoft correctly predicted the state of hardware before this gen launched. Either they've found a way to get their hardware costs way down, or the PS5 Pro is gonna look cheap in comparison to even their entry level machine. And then what does that mean for the PS6?

Ownage

Actually $960 CDN. The disc drive will probably be at least $100 CDN too if the US price is $80.

Currency exchange makes it $952, but they actually had the gall to round UP the price to the nearest $10 instead of rounding down to $949.99 CDN. They are scraping every dollar.

Bare bones $960 console only + Ontario 13% tax = $1,085.

Add in optional disc drive, or a retailer forces gamers a bundled game or second gamepad and youre at $1,200+
Sincere empathy for the Canadian market. Dudes, go buy a regular PS5 now before they're sold out.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Listen, we spent 4 grand on a PC build and another 6 grand on another PC build (we have one for work and one for gaming lol)

This isn't shit to me lol

I'm more triggered at the disk drive not being physically in the model. I'd rather just have 2 skus then the drive outside of the system or something (well I'm not sure what it looks like, maybe it blends in well or something lol)

Either way, until I hear what the support will be for Metaphor and AC Shadows, its a wait, if both get some boost buy it, I'll pre-order.

Did they say if it has anything to make use of it?

Like is there a few defacto games to take advantage of it?

Otherwise wait for GTA bundles lol.
...I just might do that

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah. CDN price is just the exchange rate to USD. EU and AUS are paying exchange + extra profit for Sony.
That sad thing is US and Canada have very similar annual wages of around $60,000. But US $$$ is worth about 35% more. So in reality someone making $60k US is a bit more than $80k CDN. We almost always get hosed on stuff.

Kacho

Gold Member
ZGPEfIV.png

Danger 5 Laughing GIF

angrod14

GTA VI will drive quite the sales for this console. Many people will want to play in the best way possible, and I have no doubts comparison videos will be substantial. This will probably get twice the performance.

Eszti

Banned
the will drop the prices fast. maybe even before launch the reception is catastrophic. at best they will see how the pre order numbers are. but they will drop it by 100 fast or include disc drive or something like that. 800€ is insane. yes the 2 tb sdd is expensive but still.

why does this console need 2tb ? ps5 is compressing really well and there are not that many games anyways on console? i dont get it. and media 9is dead on playstation besides some screenshots from games. i never have more than 2-3 games installed.

DinoD

I concede mass overpricing to your regions. I thought us Canucks were getting nailed at $960 CDN.

If you Euro and Aussie guys were getting our converted prices at $960 CDN, you'd be getting:

Euro 640
Aussie 1060

effin Yanks, effin Limeys. Why do they always have to get a better deal. :D

Bojji

With PS5 Pro. Sony is doing 3 things:

- testing price point for PS6.
- testing PSSR and RT adoption/utilisation by developers
- trying to get an extra little profit for their bottom line

They should test their monkey brains.

At least the last time when they were stupid like this we had super strong, aggressive MS that put them in place. Now we have nothing.

Watching this... SOG started video by showing list of ACTUAL EXCLUSIVES PS5 games:

x0j8yZs.jpeg

This is sad as fuck, compare this to PS2, PS3 or even PS4.

Davesky

I hope the regular PS5 at least gets some sort of rebrand and major price cut. I finally got mine last year but there's far too many gamers in Europe especially that are being priced out of current gaming experiences. Its had a huge impact on games sales and overall development, it's only felt like this year that the PS5 had started to reach its stride.

I miss the days of several AAA releases each year and that was was only a decade ago. Gaming needs needs a big reset and reevaluation not even more expensive hardware in the coming years. I bought a new TV this year to experience HDR for the first time and the games already look perfect. Fuck maybe its just me though, I was that kid that more than happy to play my Mega Drive on a RF cable...

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Everyone’s salty about the price but this machine was never designed to have mass market affordable appeal - that’s the regular ps5.

You get a significantly better gpu, PSSR, WiFi 7, an extra terabyte of storage, faster RAM, and beefier cooling for an extra $200. That’s very reasonable imho.

Sony knows that most people didn’t buy the ps4 pro and likely won’t get the ps5 pro either. It’s a machine for a small niche of the market and that’s ok.

saintjules

Gold Member
Which retailers will be doing pre-orders alongside direct on the 26th? Apparently there's a select few. The rest go live on October 10th.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doing more currency comparisons, if Euro and Aussie prices are tax included, the US price is $700. The avg state tax on goods skimming a list is around 6-7%. So for sake of argument the avg American would pay around $750 all in.

So using $750 US as the peg, an equivalent price would be this assuming Euro/Aussie are tax in:

Euro 680
Aussie 1,128

It looks like the Aussie prices arent that bad actually (a bit more than a parity conversion). But the Euro price of 800 set is way higher even when assuming an avg Yank would pay $750-ish after state tax.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
x0j8yZs.jpeg

This is sad as fuck, compare this to PS2, PS3 or even PS4.
It's even worse, because from this list there are at least six VR-only games, two remasters, two unreleased games (that might get cancelled before release), and two demos/free games.

This leaves just Astro Bot, Destruction AllStars, Rebirth, Neptunia reVerse, Quantum Error, R-Type Final 3 Evolved, Rise of the Ronin, Spider-Man2, and Stellar Blade as the only actual (non VR, non-remaster, non demo) PS5 exclusives so far this gen. 9 games.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Real quick, the disc drive that they sell right now is the one that's gonna work with the Pro? I wanna order one asap b4 there's a shortage or whatever.

Can anyone confirm? NM, yes that will work.

I don't get the people freaking out. This isn't a new console. Keep your PS5, this is for people who can afford to throw away extra cash for some souped up visuals and framerates. The PS5 still does everything perfectly fine.

People had no problems buying a 1TB SSD for $150 when it came out or a 2TB for $300 but THIS is over the line? lmao. People will hate on everything. Also a reminder that the Pro comes with 2TB of nvme storage so you'll have 3-4TB after you install your drives. So top of having 50% more power, you also get 100% more drive space. Actually more since the PS5 has some 680gb or some shit. The freak out is ridiculous. What did people expect? $600? That would end the life of reg PS5.

Last edited:
It's even worse, because from this list there are at least six VR-only games, two remasters, two unreleased games (that might get cancelled before release), and two demos/free games.

And you can take it to the bank that Demons Souls, Spidey 2, DS2 and TLOU2 will be released on PC at some point.

Real quick, the disc drive that they sell right now is the one that's gonna work with the Pro? I wanna order one asap b4 there's a shortage or whatever.

Can anyone confirm?

Pretty sure Sony said as much.

SRTtoZ

And you can take it to the bank that Demons Souls, Spidey 2, DS2 and TLOU2 will be released on PC at some point.

Pretty sure Sony said as much.
Yea a quick google and a Gamespot article came up saying the drive out now will work with it. Sweet. I had $80 credit on eBay so I ordered one new from there.

Doing more currency comparisons, if Euro and Aussie prices are tax included, the US price is $700. The avg state tax on goods skimming a list is around 6-7%. So for sake of argument the avg American would pay around $750 all in.

So using $750 US as the peg, an equivalent price would be this assuming Euro/Aussie are tax in:

Euro 680
Aussie 1,128

It looks like the Aussie prices arent that bad actually (a bit more than a parity conversion). But the Euro price of 800 set is way higher even when assuming an avg Yank would pay $750-ish after state tax.
Aussie price might not be 'bad' from a conversion point of view, but a $1,000+ console is a tough sell.

Davesky

Everyone’s salty about the price but this machine was never designed to have mass market affordable appeal - that’s the regular ps5.

You get a significantly better gpu, PSSR, WiFi 7, an extra terabyte of storage, faster RAM, and beefier cooling for an extra $200. That’s very reasonable imho.

Sony knows that most people didn’t buy the ps4 pro and likely won’t get the ps5 pro either. It’s a machine for a small niche of the market and that’s ok.

That's fair but its also setting a precedent for the cost of PS6. Its all pressuring game development even more that only just caught up with current hardware.

SRTtoZ

Also a kind reminder that the new Series X with 2tb is $600. The Pro which has twice the performance will be $100 more.

Bitstream

Trying to wrap my head around Sony's pricing strategy. Here's where I'm at.

Late 23': Sony has Pro Hardware Ready to go with additional improvements to PSSR . $600 digital only, 1TB
MS announces 2TB consoles coming later in the year
Concord becomes a massive flop and Sony takes a 150M bath on it.
Releasing a "Pro" console with less space than xbox seems like bad optics
$700 2TB

DinoD

Euro 680
Aussie 1,128

Its all relative I suppose. Going over 1k in AUD is probably going to test a mental barrier for many.

I already figured out how to cross. Will go out and buy disc drive and then Vegemite toasts and cuppa noodles for the next 2 months.
Yeah. I am not rich but I am still a wannabe/show off.

Alebrije

The Old PS3 meme comes alive again

221c57bfaa5a01a710af1014b329608ec6b2d2f70b7dbbe96751f9a98febb287.jpg

Knew 5 Pro would be a Niche Console (Even more than 4PRO), but Will be the Best place to play Games for.the next 4 years.

Also My Bet is that 2025-26 Will be years of great Sony exclusives and all of them Will be PRO enhanced.

This is a console for a part of the market, it's clearly expensive but a Lot of people will get it.

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Man $959 CAD before tax with $100 disc drive= $1,059 plus tax. Oooof… this console better be damn good for that price.

Top Bottom