• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

jm89

Playstation nation we flexing
kid-rock-fur-coat.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
'Pushing the limits', of what exactly?

If PS5pro is pushing the limits Sony didn't show in this conference.
If you watch the clips Cerny showed PS5 vs PS5 Pro, the trees in Spiderman look better. Probably the only example that was clearly better. The rest of his hyping you'd have zoom and squint. And maybe you'll see a difference.

Last edited:

Eszti

Banned
The funniest part about the console reveal is that the people getting their jimmies rustled aren't the ones buying the pro. They are feeling upset on behalf of those who are buying it. Mind your own business ffs.
i will buy it but not at that price. that doesnt mean we cant hold sony accountable for a terribly overpriced product. and making fun of it.

Fake

Gold Member
If you watch the clips Cerny showed PS5 vs PS5 Pro, the trees in Spiderman look better. Probably the only example that was clearly better. The rest of his hyping you'd have zoom and squint. And maybe you'll see a difference.

Doesn't change the fact Sony didn't show anything pushing the limits as the 'POL KALLAMATA' mention.

Eszti

Banned
difference without pssr is literally 1440p vs 1800p its sharper but its not that much

jm89

Yeah that's what they are going to have to do the coming weeks for more titles to convince it's worth it.

Although I do think tlou 2 was a good example, fidelity mode running at 60fps. But more ue5 titles would be better.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I get that this is a premium product that's just an option, just like you have the option to buy a disc drive if you want it.

Given that I can see how it probably made perfect sense to Sony not to include it, but yeah it's just a mistake. It just doesn't seem as premium/pro anymore when there's a major component missing from the $700 package. The people who didn't want a drive won't care, but those who do are probably weighted heavier among potential Pro buyers, and will feel offended at having to at this price point.

It's like when I came home with a PS4 Pro after gaming on old PC/Switch and was blindsided by how non-Pro the mechanical HDD made the entire thing feel. I considered it gimped/broken until adding a SSD the very next day. It felt like a "pro" console that didn't become pro until unlocking it with an upgrade. This absent disc drive thing is trying to reach as many customers as possible with that feeling.

Fake

Gold Member
Yeah that's what they are going to have to do the coming weeks for more titles to convince it's worth it.

Although I do think tlou 2 was a good example, fidelity mode running at 60fps. But more ue5 titles would be better.

I disagree with you. TLOUS 2 was a terrible example because the game already have one of the best graphics of the first party to date, so much little for PSSR to work.

They should use a massive low visual graphic to show this huge difference. Their first party will not get much use of PSSR because their already looks great.

lordrand11

PC gaming has been superior for decades.
You are correct sir.
Not a chance in hell. Xbox hardware is dead in the water. If consumers want to settle they'll go with a regular PS5, or just wait for Switch 2 when that drops in a few months.

Xbox's only chance is their rumored handheld, but that's going against Switch 2 and Steam Deck. They look proper fucked baring some miracle.
And if their handheld is a full fledged windows machine, you'll have xbox, steam, older nintendo games, and PS available for play on it. So it'd be a solid winning gamble for them at that point.

LiquidRex

Good luck Sony on selling as many as the PS4 Pro. As for the graphical comparisons, how the hell can anyone be sold on paying that?

Last edited:

Ristifer

The funniest part about the console reveal is that the people getting their jimmies rustled aren't the ones buying the pro. They are feeling upset on behalf of those who are buying it. Mind your own business ffs.
Honestly, I’m so upset, I think you should buy it for me.

kevboard

I was gonna buy the Pro day 1, because naively I thought the price would be reasonable.

800 fucking euros? are they fucked in the head or something?

nah, I'll take the money planned for the Pro and put it towards a bigger GPU upgrade for my PC. I was originally planning to only get a mid range card, but I think it's gonna be a high end one now.
that's gonna be a way bigger and more future proof upgrade for me.

this Pro console is barely even worth the launch price of the PS5 imo, but 300€ more than the base console? fuck right off!

RTX5080 it is (unless they also shit the bed again with the pricing, but I hope for another RTX30 series moment)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was gonna buy the Pro day 1, because naively I thought the price would be reasonable.

nah, I'll take the money planned for the Pro and put it towards a bigger GPU upgrade for my PC. I was originally planning to only get a mid range card, but I think it's gonna be a high end one now.

this Pro console is barely even worth the launch price of the PS5 imo, but 300€ more than the base console? fuck right off!

RTX5080 it is (unless they also shit the bed again with the pricing, but I hope for another RTX30 series moment)
Checking old data, PS4 Pro launched in late 2016 at $400 US and 400 euros. And the currency exchange rate was basically the same at 0.90 to 0.92 compared to right now.

This time $700 US (which is already high), but Europeans also get bumped up and extra 100? Wow.

LiquidRex

I said in a previous post, there's something seriously wrong with the current PS leadership.
Astro Bot was a sign things heading in the right direction, but this takes Playstation backwards. Just image how much the Pro would be if they'd not gimped on the CPU. 👀

They're so focused on capturing lightning in a bottle with regards to live service, that they're neglecting there core audience. Now this Pro announcement will just make more fans question what is happening with Playstation.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Inflation, combined with Moore's Law slowing down to a crawl this past decade.

They do not anymore. Between the plateau of Moore's Law, inflation (as it applies to chip fabs), geopolitical shocks, and increased demand for chiplets due to AI, the PS5 staying at 400-500 bucks after a 4 year period totalling to over 20% inflation is already a major depreciation in real price.

Wooxsvan

I understand lots crying about the price and the potential market being small for this but id bet that it still sells more units than the "successful" PS portal.

61tWTfjqlOL._SL1500_.jpg

Bernardougf

PS6 need to be priced for the masses. The PS5 Pro is just an high end version of the PS5 and will be targeting a more niche audience. But i can see the PS6 starting at $600.
The ps5 almost didnt come down in pricing.. in fact it went up in some places agter 4 years... its safe to say that probably the ps5pro will run with this price or close to the end of the gen (more 4 years)... if thats the case it will be impossible to launch a substantially better machine (ps6) 200 dollars less .... I think eventually by the end of the gen the ps5pro will be priced at 599 and that is going to be the minimal pricing for the next console.. but I wouldn't be suprised if the 699 price tag remains.

kevboard

Checking old data, PS4 Pro launched in late 2016 at $400 US and 400 euros. And the currency exchange rate was basically the same at 0.90 to 0.92 compared to right now.

This time $700 US (which is already high), but Europeans also get bumped up and extra 100? Wow.

the 800€ price is absolutely a joke. 700€ would already have been pushing it. but 800€ is an actual insult

FUCK I even completely forgot about the disc drive... I have PS4 and PS5 disc based games, so to upgrade my current PS5 I would need to pay 920€... because of course the disc drive is 120€

LiquidRex

And there's those out there that think games running 4k 60fps on Unreal Engine 4, Unreal Engine 4 people! That that's some kind of win. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I have a theory about this whole PS5pro thing.

First off, I believe Sony is making a profit on each unit sold. They are not subsidizing this thing at all. Secondly, I believe its more of a trojan horse, than an additive platform. They are using it to prepare the world for a PS6 that costs $600 - $700. And that doesn't come with a disc drive in the box.

If there is one place or time or way they can ruffle all those feathers and get away with it, it's now and with something like the PS5pro, that Sony doesn't even need to "succeed". There will be backlash, people will be bitter and angry (just like what happened with the 20XX series Nvidia GPUs). But I see them riding that storm out... and just making this become the norm.

Last edited:

DavJay

$800 for a console that is probably two years out from being succeeded by a PS6. Not that enticing to be honest because I doubt that the PS6 at launch will cost that much or more.

Bernardougf

I have a theory about this whole PS5pro thing.

First off, I believe sony is making a profit on each unit sold. They are not subsidizing this thing at all. Secondly, I believe its more of a trojan horse, than an additive platform. They are using it to prepare the world for a PS5 that cost $600 - $700. And that doesn't come with a disc drive in the box.

If there is one place or time or way they can ruffle all those feathers and get away with it, its now and with something like the PS5pro, that sony doesn't even need to "succeed". There will be backlash, people will be bitter and angry (just like hat happened with the 20XX series Nvidia GPUs. But I see them riding that storm out... and just making this become the norm.
You meant ps6 but is exactly this.. Im been saying this from months.. there is no turning back now.. only if the pro is a resounding failure... if you think the ps5 that is 50% inferior to the pro still costs almost the same or even higher in some places than the launch price... there is no way than can deliver a substantial upgrade over the pro in only 4 years for 499 ... no fcking way.... i think the 699 price tag is here to stay. 599 digital // 699 disk is my bet for next gen since now.

LiquidRex

It was shocking a 9 minute presentation and they believed that was enough to justify the cost of the Pro? what they should have done is brought forward the Showcase and had Mark Cerny start the event with the presentation following up with a road map of titles expected to take full advantage of the consoles capabilities it would have taken the sting outta the tail at least. Playstation PR/Management is absolutely piss poor, they screwed up the momentum they had with Helldivers 2, they embarrassed themselves with Concord, they had Bungie get Factions cancelled and now following the praise Astro Bot received, they go and do this! 🤦‍♂️ Epic fail.

Pimpbaa

Damn it’s like $959.99 here in Canada BEFORE taxes! I may get it at a later date depending on how 3rd party support goes (a lot lazy efforts on the ps4 pro).

Mr.Phoenix

$800 for a console that is probably two years out from being succeeded by a PS6. Not that enticing to be honest because I doubt that the PS6 at launch will cost that much or more.
I don't see how the PS6 doesn't cost that much.

But more importantly, I don't see the PS6 coming in two years. I see it coming in another 4 years. So in 2028.... at the earliest.

Mr.Phoenix

To call the reaction as overacting is copium.

People are genuinely not happy about the value proposition of the PS5 Pro, and it shows on every poll.
That honestly doesn't mean shit. People are not happy with the price. Because a console has never been priced that high. Wait until the thing goes on sale. See how it performs. Only then do we know what is really going on.

Need I remind you how everyone was asking what the point of the PS portal was?

On one hand, you have these "people you are talking about complaining" on the other we have PS5 disc drives selling out in stores. Bioth those things say two very different things.

Top Bottom