• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

Kacho

Gold Member
Half of the videos in my YouTube feed are critical of the PS5 Pro. Big swing and miss for Sony’s PR department.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't see how the PS6 doesn't cost that much.

But more importantly, I don't see the PS6 coming in two years. I see it coming in another 4 years. So in 2028.... at the earliest.
Consoles tend to go up in price. If this system is $700 with no disc drive. No doubt PS6 will be $800. Maybe more.

How many times has a makers new console went down in price? Off top of my head, Dreamcast was a steal at $200 as Sega went balls deep on a good system at good value vs Saturn. PS4 went $400 vs $600 PS3 but that was due to PS3 BR being super expensive tech. Dedicated BR players were $800-1000 at launch. Prices dropped a lot years later. Not sure how many other examples there are. Systems either are same price or cost more almost every time.

Last edited:

Audiophile

fo4ly1726022820.png

khmWX1726022848.png

7CB351726023229.png

Last edited:

Flabagast

Damn it’s like $959.99 here in Canada BEFORE taxes! I may get it at a later date depending on how 3rd party support goes (a lot lazy efforts on the ps4 pro).
I don’t see this selling a lot tbh so I really don’t think a lot of 3rd party devs will put in the effort to make worthwhile upgrades to their games. In 90% of the cases it will most probably be quality preset at 60fps (if the trash CPU enables it) and not much else really. Maybe for some that’s enough to justify the price

For the others I would really advise people to wait and see what is the true nature of enhancements made by 3rd parties before making the purchase decision.

Toons

800 smackers? Anyone wanting to get rid of their vanilla ps5 for a fair price hit me up... I may be interested later cuz I ain't spending that lmfao

Bojji

Consoles tend to go up in price. If this system is $700 with no disc drive. No doubt PS6 will be $800. Maybe more.

How many times has a makers new console went down in price? Off top of my head, Dreamcast was a steal at $200 as Sega went balls deep on a good system at good value vs Saturn. Not sure how many other examples there are. Systems either are same price or cost more almost every time.

PS3 - 599/499 option

PS4 - 399

PS4 Pro - 399

PS5 - 499/399 option

PS5 Pro:

_-2PB9mBcTpQ.gif

Stu_Hart

Neo Member
That presentation was hot garbo. The games they showed already run and look good on base ps5. I was dead on when I had my concerns that they will not make a good case for consumers and just mention what the developers want. Mark cerny cares more about the developers than the consumers. $700 without disc drive and a stand. Don't forget the taxes. No thanks...if you are willing to spend that much, might as well save up a bit more and just get a pc.

BlackTron

That honestly doesn't mean shit. People are not happy with the price. Because a console has never been priced that high. Wait until the thing goes on sale. See how it performs. Only then do we know what is really going on.

But consoles don't really go on sale this gen, other than rare opportunities. Pro getting a price cut in order to find its sweet spot in a world where everything else stayed the same or increased, just shows something was off with Pro's value proposition. Basically you're right we'll know what is going on if they do it...if it finds massive success at $650 with a disc drive, that would prove the axis between cost/stuff people want had been found...but really maybe too low for Sony to like the margins making the whole thing iffy.

But Sony doesn't really have anything to lose by testing the waters of how much people are willing to pay. And if they don't, just let them buy base PS5's instead or price cut the pro at their discretion. Even if they sell one per day they get to say they have the ludicrously more powerful, premium game console, like the gold watch in a store full of silver ones. Yeah, they all tell the time so you buy silver, and happen to pick the gold's brand...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But consoles don't really go on sale this gen, other than rare opportunities. Pro getting a price cut in order to find its sweet spot in a world where everything else stayed the same or increased, just shows something was off with Pro's value proposition. Basically you're right we'll know what is going on if they do it...if it finds massive success at $650 with a disc drive, that would prove the axis between cost/stuff people want had been found...but really maybe too low for Sony to like the margins making the whole thing iffy.

But Sony doesn't really have anything to lose by testing the waters of how much people are willing to pay. And if they don't, just let them buy base PS5's instead or price cut the pro at their discretion. Even if they sell one per day they get to say they have the ludicrously more powerful, premium game console, like the gold watch in a store full of silver ones. Yeah, they all tell the time so you buy silver, and happen to pick the gold's brand...
A shame about price cuts. Last gen too. The old days of consoles dumped at $99 or $149 for bargain hunters is long gone. I remember super slim PS2’s selling for $80 and 360 and PS3 for $100-150 cdn.

Those days were crazy too. You get Xmas bundles with 5 games included too.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just wait for the forced retailer bundles.
System + game + second game pad, or System + stand + disc drive will each be about $1,150 CDN. Add tax and your at $1,300.

Heck some retailer might go balls deep and force in a PSVR2 at $750 into a bundle making basically a $2,000 purchase after tax.

Mr.Phoenix

I am not saying the thing should get a price cit. I am saying wait until the thing is actually selling. Or available to buy. And after like 3 months we will see how the market is really receiving it.

Danknugz

i remember when the 3do launched at 700$ and everyone was blown away by the graphics at the time. makes you think how that relates to the ps5 pro performance today. of course back then PC discrete graphics didn't really exist outside of silicon graphics workstations which went for something like 30,000 dollars. so i guess the same difference today, given that 4090 can be had for about 1500, which is 5% of 30,000, the equivalent would be 5% of 700 which comes out to 35 dollars of my math is right

BlackTron

I am not saying the thing should get a price cit. I am saying wait until the thing is actually selling. Or available to buy. And after like 3 months we will see how the market is really receiving it.

Ok yeah I misread your post lol. When you said "on sale" it just came off as a price cut to me but that could be my frame of mind reading this thread as well.

consoul

Everyone's gonna freak out now and then when GTA6 is announced to support 60fps on Pro, this thing is gonna sell out.

You all know this to be true.

K' Dash

That presentation was hot garbo. The games they showed already run and look good on base ps5. I was dead on when I had my concerns that they will not make a good case for consumers and just mention what the developers want. Mark cerny cares more about the developers than the consumers. $700 without disc drive and a stand. Don't forget the taxes. No thanks...if you are willing to spend that much, might as well save up a bit more and just get a pc.

Everyone and their mother knew this thing was not needed, but were curious about how Sony would justify a Pro console and they did it in the worst way possible.

PS4 games in your PlayStation 5 PRO presentation? What the fuck is marketing thinking?

Even if I have the money to buy one, why would I? There aren’t even enough games made from the ground up for PS5 that I care about.

They fucked up, I really hope this thing bombs and their upcoming games also bomb hard.

demonstr8

Xbox have been out of the game for about 10 days and already arrogant Sony are back lol. They need a good ass whooping again and this will hopefully be the start of it.

LiquidRex

Sony why are you charging $700 for a console without a disk drive and stand plus you need to squint so hard you look like you're curling one out to see a difference in graphical fidelity?
Sony...

Last edited:

Alan Wake

one x was literally 5x faster from ur xbox one, gpu wise, which is +400%, ps5pr0 is only +45% faster, this price is not justified to me considering how lil more we getting this time =/
Yes, and the original Xbox One never felt powerful to begin with so an upgrade (both in power and regarding the design of the thing) was so welcome. I never had that feeling with PS4 Pro and actually kept my standardPS4 that entire gen. It was perfectly fine. Guess that's the way it will be with PS5 this gen too.

Myuni

Neo Member
Wtf, 799€ vs $699 and even only digital... I guess they don't want to sell this in Europe.

It could be, that Sony indeed does not want to sell huge numbers, 'cause they did not produce a lot of them. That may be the reason for the high price.

They realized how pointless a Pro is in this generation, but put already too many resources into the development, so they opted for a high price 'iPhone Pro Max style' release, instead of canceling it altogether.

diffusionx

Gold Member
i remember when the 3do launched at 700$ and everyone was blown away by the graphics at the time. makes you think how that relates to the ps5 pro performance today. of course back then PC discrete graphics didn't really exist outside of silicon graphics workstations which went for something like 30,000 dollars. so i guess the same difference today, given that 4090 can be had for about 1500, which is 5% of 30,000, the equivalent would be 5% of 700 which comes out to 35 dollars of my math is right
Nobody was blown away by 3DO lmao, system was trash.

DinoD

Seriously? Well that kills my interest. I could maybe justify $1000 but that extra $200 just kills any interest I have for it. Maybe in a couple of years if it ever drops in price.
Yeah. I was saying in an earlier post. Many Aussies would find it hard to break through the mental barrier of 1k AUD.

Me on the other hand.

k5IvQiR.jpeg

Top Bottom