• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

Don't be so sure this will be the best way to play it at launch
You think they'll get the next gen xbox out that fast? I know we've talked about it before but I don't see how they'll get a "console" out even if GTA is delayed to mid 2026. If this console is $700 what is a new xbox going to cost?

Last edited:
Trying to wrap my head around Sony's pricing strategy. Here's where I'm at.

Late 23': Sony has Pro Hardware Ready to go with additional improvements to PSSR . $600 digital only, 1TB
MS announces 2TB consoles coming later in the year
Concord becomes a massive flop and Sony takes a 150M bath on it.
Releasing a "Pro" console with less space than xbox seems like bad optics
$700 2TB
I mean you have a much more powerful console that's only $100 more than the highest end xbox, at the same time I think they could have gotten away with just staying at 1TB. I'm sure most of the "enthusiasts" already have expanded storage anyway.

Fabieter

Yes that is the hive mind i am saying. People just like to over react as if end of days. It is only $699 in an era where processors are getting expensive. Your next android phone using snapdragon will see a price increase.

So you can move the extra ssd over to pro? Is there any loss? NAND prices are going up with the AI gold rush. Thank god Sony locked down 2TB prices with the pro.

Yes it's a loss when you already got a 4tb ssd there is no need for a 2tb and paying extra for what it's not needed.

peish

Yes it's a loss when you already got a 4tb ssd there is no need for a 2tb and paying extra for what it's not needed.

Think of the people that dont? If you afforded 4tb, surely pro is nothing. Enjoy 6tb of less headache managing games!

Look, i wish ps5pro can be cheaper, i wish everything can be cheaper. But i am a realist, i think sony anchoring 699 is very reasonable, painful from a marketing pov, but reasonable.

Internet just being attention whoring and opportunistic trying to force sony to take more upfront losses on hardware

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Think of the people that dont? If you afforded 4tb, surely pro is nothing. Enjoy 6tb of less headache managing games!

Look, i wish ps5pro can be cheaper, i wish everything can be cheaper. But i am a realist, i think sony anchoring 699 is very reasonable, painful from a marketing pov, but reasonable.

Internet just being attention whoring and opportunistic trying to force sony to take more upfront losses on hardware

Exactly my position.

And let me just restate an observation I just posted elsewhere:

If you're a PC Gamer would you find paying an extra $300 for a GPU that doubles your effective performance unreasonable?

TrebleShot

You need ps plus and games to operate that console which is way more expensive on a digital ps5 than on pc.
Who is forcing you to get PS plus? have you used it at all?

Id recommend checking out sites like shopto.net who sell PSN gift cards for 5-20 cheaper than their actual worth so a for a 100 gift card you pay 80 or round abouts. On top of that if you are on PS Stars you get 5 for every 1250 points.

For example I have just got Space Marine 2 for 44 using these discounts on the PSN digital store which retails for 59.99.

On top of that if you really want to you get the disc drive, its still cheaper than an equivalent PC and the operational costs. PC is not one and done we all know that. You will be upgrading CPUs, GPUs as you go and some CPUs are 400-450 alone and guess what you need a new motherboard new ram and cooler and probably PSU.

PSU on PC have hit a mark where they need 800-1k watts (for top end cards) and at that power draw you are adding something like 12-20 per month on your electricity bill.

So just owning a PC costs more than a console, no one takes this into their accounts. Then what about all the sub services on PC your very likely to at least try and youll play and use them as much as PS plus, which is of course never. Unless your into MP shooters or whatever.

Fabieter

Those who didn't still can buy a separate ssd for cheaper. Its shit value imo. We also can say anyone who's agreeing with the price would eat anything from this cooperation. This criticism is good. Something tells me they are closely looking at the reaction and if it sticks they will go along and go even higher next time. No just no!

Fabieter

Who is forcing you to get PS plus? have you used it at all?

Id recommend checking out sites like shopto.net who sell PSN gift cards for 5-20 cheaper than their actual worth so a for a 100 gift card you pay 80 or round abouts. On top of that if you are on PS Stars you get 5 for every 1250 points.

For example I have just got Space Marine 2 for 44 using these discounts on the PSN digital store which retails for 59.99.

On top of that if you really want to you get the disc drive, its still cheaper than an equivalent PC and the operational costs. PC is not one and done we all know that. You will be upgrading CPUs, GPUs as you go and some CPUs are 400-450 alone and guess what you need a new motherboard new ram and cooler and probably PSU.

PSU on PC have hit a mark where they need 800-1k watts (for top end cards) and at that power draw you are adding something like 12-20 per month on your electricity bill.

So just owning a PC costs more than a console, no one takes this into their accounts. Then what about all the sub services on PC your very likely to at least try and youll play and use them as much as PS plus, which is of course never. Unless your into MP shooters or whatever.

I know that you can have buy cheaper psn cards. On one of the main sites in Europe I use that's selling 100 euro for 89€. That's like 11%. So a game like spacs marine wouldn't cost 70 euro it wouldn be 63 compared to the pc version on the same site for under 50. What do you mean you are still upgrading? If you buy a better PC than is will bring your better results than the pro without any upgrades.

And the 80 euro of PS plus is needed if you want to play online. Everyone claims that gaas is the way etc so plus is clearly needed for all those people. Which is close to 800 euro for one generation.

Loboxxx

Neo Member
Thank you Microsoft, for not being a smart competition and focusing on services!! Thank you very much, in these two generations you have only managed to devalue video games and cause hardware to rise in price due to lack of competition. Thank you so much!!

Last edited:

ElFenomeno

Mark Cerny looked he was being held at gun point by Sony's investors forced to read a script during those 9 minutes.

He started with a PS5 briefing then when talking about the PRO he was totally shitting on the PS5 Poor.

Esppiral

Thank you Microsoft, for not being a smart competition and focusing on services!! Thank you very much, in these two generations you have only managed to devalue video games and cause hardware to rise in price due to lack of competition. Thank you so much!!
Wow So MS is guilty for Sony's greed! c'mon dude, yes this is the result of sony not having competition, but that is not MS fault.

PeteBull

Gold Member
We do have a console for you.
V3sSQqf.png

2.5 x power of PS4 Pro. :D:D:D
I got 3080ti so actual 2x ps5 power, back from mid of 2021 so im good, wanted the pr0 for sony exclusives but value proposition is really terrible from my pov, i will wait and see, plenty time to launch still.

Loboxxx

Neo Member
Wow So MS is guilty for Sony's greed! c'mon dude, yes this is the result of sony not having competition, but that is not MS fault.
Correct, it is a consequence and it will get worse.

I doubt the price of PS5pro is greed, it is not selling a hardware revision at a loss. Another thing is that the console client does not work in these price ranges.

Lambogenie

I can imagine refunds or early adopter bonuses like 3DS if they stick to this price and few, compelling games are on the immediate horizon. There isn't anything upcoming that's announced that I'd personally want to drop 700 on. So they better announce those real soon to tempt _why_ we should drop 700.

Games are long as shit, so replaying Spidey2 or FFVII isn't enticing me at all, and without much known for 2025/2026, as a non GTA fan, they got work to do.

KeplerL2

Neo Member
I see people overly fixated on the pricepoint of this Pro version when the real issue is that this means that next-gen gonna be coming out at the same price or higher.
I wonder if wafer prices are the main reason behind the console's crazy price.

K KeplerL2 what's your opinion on this chief?
This is definitely greed/arrogance from Sony, the cost increase for them is not that big.

Mr.Phoenix

This is a fascinating thread.

I just hope for all the sakes of those complaining, that this thing doesn't go on to sell well... by whatever targets Sony has set.

Because I see this whole thing as a shift in strategy, and them using a harmless, premium, totally optional product to test the waters.

Because what people seem to forget, is that there is still a base PS5 out there. If Sony is selling each PS5pro at a profit and makes only like 1M of them each year and sells through that 1M... they will be perfectly fine with that.

This is like them making a DS Edge or DS portal. We can argue about the value of that, but both are premium, optional products. Buying or not buying them has no bearing on the actual PS5. This will be no different with the PS5pro.

And I have noticed this thread becoming insidious. NMow posters are attacking and insulting people who will potentially buy the thing. If you guys have an issue, let that sit with Sony... but you all have to be on a different level of special to think you can dictate what anyone else considers as value or wants to do with their money.

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
As a PC gamer 800 euro are ROOKIE NUMBERS.

I don't know how much Blackwell will be but I've already reserved 2500 eurodollars for a new PC.

Do console gamers want to play with the big boys or stick with a cheap box?
yeah I'm keeping £2,000 aside for a 5090. might need to spend another couple hundred if I need a new PSU.

the cost of the PS5 Pro wouldn't even cover the cost of my monitor or CPU :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MMaRsu

Also lol @ comparing the ps5 pro to a 5060

A 4070 will outperform it.
I’m not waiting 12-24 months for a game like Astro bot that may or may not come to PC

And I’m not resetting my library to zero just to save $5 per day 1 game on some cdkeys deal

I would rather pay money to developers than to NVIDIA if you want to talk about “greedy” companies
A game like Astrobot 😂 bro cmon there are platformers of extremely high quality each year on PC.

Resetting your library? Ok

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This is a fascinating thread.

I just hope for all the sakes of those complaining, that this thing doesn't go on to sell well... by whatever targets Sony has set.

Because I see this whole thing as a shift in strategy, and them using a harmless, premium, totally optional product to test the waters.

Because what people seem to forget, is that there is still a base PS5 out there. If Sony is selling each PS5pro at a profit and makes only like 1M of them each year and sells through that 1M... they will be perfectly fine with that.

This is like them making a DS Edge or DS portal. We can argue about the value of that, but both are premium, optional products. Buying or not buying them has no bearing on the actual PS5. This will be no different with the PS5pro.

And I have noticed this thread becoming insidious. NMow posters are attacking and insulting people who will potentially buy the thing. If you guys have an issue, let that sit with Sony... but you all have to be on a different level of special to think you can dictate what anyone else considers as value or wants to do with their money.

Sounds like MIcrosoft or these handheld companies like Asus making products that only sell a few million going forward, but as long as they are turning a profit its ok.

I think we are at a turning point in gaming, but the problem is that games budgets are so large Sony cant carry the industry on their backs with this kind of strategy. Budgets re going to tumble on AAA gaming due to the lack of potential market.

Admerer

I support the higher than expected price, this will help kill the scalper market.
Those who really want a Pro should be able to get one, and others can wait till a price drop or sale happens.

Mr.Phoenix

Sounds like MIcrosoft or these handheld companies like Asus making products that only sell a few million going forward, but as long as they are turning a profit its ok.

I think we are at a turning point in gaming, but the problem is that games budgets are so large Sony cant carry the industry on their backs with this kind of strategy. Budgets re going to tumble on AAA gaming due to the lack of potential market.
I don't think its that bad yet. There is obviously a market for what Sony caters to. I mean just look at BMW. There is a AAA market out there... we all know it, these stupid publishers just seem to think the best way to tap into it is with a GAAS title, whereas the biggest-selling games of this gen so far... at least probably like 9 out of 10 of them... do not have any GAAS nonsense.

What I feel is that there is an obvious sense of fear-mongering these days, and that casts shade on what is really going on. Eg. In the same year, Sony has a stand-out GAAS success in Helldivers 2... they released concord that Bombs... and all of a sudden... sony is doomed and has lost $1B... how is anyone getting that?

I agree with you though that we are at a turning point, and in hindsight, its possible we have been there for a while now with all those PS5 price increases we all ignored. I mean, I don't think a console has ever gotten more expensive as the gen progressed until now. I firmly believe Sony could have sold the PS5pro for $100 less and still made a small profit or break even at worst. So what they are doing is very deliberate. And why I am not buying into the whole arrogant and greedy Sony nonsense some are pushing, is because while all this is happening, the base PS5 exists.

This all feels more like them softening us up for a high-priced PS6 and no disc drive in the box blow. I mean after a year or two of this before the Pro sees a price drop, when PS6 is announced at $599... we would think it's a bargain.

tronied

Firstly don't get me wrong, I think this console too expensive but I can see one way to make the Pro's sales explode.

Xbox isn't bothering with a mid generation refresh so Sony are alone with this. Next year we'll have GTAVI, one of the biggest games to be released in a decade. If it proves too demanding to attain decent image quality and performance on the base PS5 / XSX, then to play it at the quality people want may push a lot of demand toward the Pro. Also consider that the PC won't get a release for who knows how long, this just adds to that demand. If Sony adds an incentive with a drop of $50-100 paired with the games release, you can imagine what that will do.

Things don't exactly look stellar now for it, but I would say that this is a potential trump card for Sony.

leizzra

Well, I heard that PSSR might not be that great in terms of performance and quality, but it might be the case of the devs. Anyway we need to wait.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Firstly don't get me wrong, I think this console too expensive but I can see one way to make the Pro's sales explode.

Xbox isn't bothering with a mid generation refresh so Sony are alone with this. Next year we'll have GTAVI, one of the biggest games to be released in a decade. If it proves too demanding to attain decent image quality and performance on the base PS5 / XSX, then to play it at the quality people want may push a lot of demand toward the Pro. Also consider that the PC won't get a release for who knows how long, this just adds to that demand. If Sony adds an incentive with a drop of $50-100 paired with the games release, you can imagine what that will do.

Things don't exactly look stellar now for it, but I would say that this is a potential trump card for Sony.
Nah they’ll just wait for the remaster/BC on PS6.

ManaByte

GTAVI will be on the market for 15-20 years before GTAVII. You can just wait to play it on a Pro when you can get one cheaper.

Curious to see the digital foundry analysis of pssr. If sony can get that running for a majority of AAA pre ps4pro era games that would be sweet, an instant remaster of that era of games.

King Dazzar

I wonder if PlayStation might sweeten the deal with how badly this has gone down. They've still got a couple of months before release. They likely wont, but it is an option for them. They could throw in a drive or stand or something. Anything is better than how it sits today from a public perception.

Top Bottom