• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

This is getting awful backlash. I can imagine the Sony bosses are rethinking things, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they came out and apologized and offered a price reduction. There is no way they can justify releasing this at £700 at launch (especially with no stand or disc drive), especially when it's basically only a PS5 upgrade.... and what they did show was from older games, so we honestly didn't even see its potential.

If they don't come out and apologize and offer a reduction on the price, this won't end well... and the PS5 Pro could be one of the biggest failures of all time, and this will have a negative affect on the PS6.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is getting awful backlash. I can imagine the Sony bosses are rethinking things, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they came out and apologized and offered a price reduction. There is no way they can justify releasing this at £700 at launch (especially with no stand or disc drive), especially when it's basically only a PS5 upgrade.... and what they did show was from older games, so we honestly didn't even see its potential.

If they don't come out and apologize and offer a reduction on the price, this won't end well... and the PS5 Pro could be one of the biggest failures of all time, and this will have a negative affect on the PS6.
I don't see any of that happening. $700 is indeed absurd, but people are treating this like it is the base PS5 model, when its a premium product. Nobody is being prevented from owning a PS5 due the Pro.

If $700 is too much, there is a perfectly viable $450 ($400 at times) model just for them.

Will I get a PS5 Pro? Probably, but I will say that the game improvements they showed did not look anywhere remotely close to impressive. Largely due to Youtube compression.

Not only that...60 fps no longer impresses me that much. If the Pro's focus was 4K/120 then I'd consider it. 30 fps is straight up dead to me. If your game only runs at 30 fps, then I am not buying your game.

Last edited:

splattered

I really don't remember the timing but I don't think Xbox is out of this race just yet

Problem is with the Pro being $700 I don't see nextbox even being $1000 because its going to be a nice spec bump

Yeah but I'm hoping the next ps and xbox can bring the price down because they intend it to be their next primary home console selling 10s of millions... the problem with this ps5 pro is they know they probably won't sell that many of them. I do wonder how much of this is their typical arrogance and how much of it is actual build costs plus a little margin.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Are you trying to say it isn't their fault?

Cuz yeah, it kinda is. Their inability to fun studios and release good games made them a very unattractive platform.

They had MANY opportunities to fix their issues and they never did.

Sony fanboys when Microsoft are making dumb decisions: "Ha-ha! M$ is COOKED. Phil Spencer is such an idiot. Playstation is truly in a league of its own and has no viable alternative!"

Sony fanboys when the upper management becomes arrogant due to Microsoft falling behind: "C'mon. Do something, papa Phil. Please don't leave Hermen, Jim and Hiroki get away with what they did."

clarky

Gold Member

Sony :" Yeah sorry about yesterday, thought it was worth trying to take the piss on pricing. Looks like it hasn't worked we are very sorry. Its now £599".

LOL this would look even worse, what are you smoking.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sony :" Yeah sorry about yesterday, thought it was worth trying to take the piss on pricing. Looks like it hasn't worked we are very sorry. Its now £599".

Yeah....that aint happening.

I suspect that Sony will see how much they can sell at $700 right now and then make a huge marketting push when a game like GTAVI comes out. Drop the price to $600, market it as the only way to get 60 fps on consoles (Sony needs to do everything in their power to make it possible, but using the same CPU makes me skeptical)

As many Xbox fanboys have pointed out, Sony does not have any big time exclusive games coming out for a while that can be used to push console sales.

They're seeing how many they can sell at this price and if it doesn't work then they will reevaluate.

What would have been preferrable would have been that that base model with drive gets dropped to $399, digital to $349 and then the Pro takes over the $499 price.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
We should have a new measurement for cost of things. the PS5 Pro.

My iPhone cost P5P 2.14

My smartwatch cost P5P 0.68

My PC GPU cost P5P 1.71

My entire PC cost P5P 5.14

My monitor cost P5P 1.14

My car cost P5P 8.57

My TV cost P5P 1.85

My Steam Deck cost P5P 0.82

As inflation has gone crazy lately we should reset all currency calculations and divide the cost of everything by 700

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Things like that can happen. It's all about PR. And no, it wouldn't make them look worse. If anything, it'll make them look better. If they're willing to admit their mistake and reduce the price by £100 to £150 (with the stand and the disc drive), people will forgive them and say that Sony listened. I'm willing to bet that if they put the price down, most of the people who weren't going to buy will now buy it.

At the end of the day, the customer is always right and they determine if the PS5 Pro is a success or not. If you piss them off, they won't buy it. But if Sony is willing to admit its mistake and apologize... and offer a price reduction, people will forgive Sony.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Lets see nintendos new console
Animated GIF

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
the lack of disc drive or stand isn't the issue for me. i haven't bought a digital game in over a decade on Playstation and my PS5 Slim is standing up vertically just fine without a stand.

it's the price/value. £550 i'd pay as it currently is. If you want £700 then should have had upgrades on other vital components. It's not all about the GPU. Where is the faster CPU? More RAM? Faster SSD? PS5 has a Zen 2 CPU. We're on Zen 5 now. 16GB between CPU and GPU? lol we're at 32GB RAM and 12-16GB VRAM on PC (or 64GB RAM 24GB VRAM if you're going hard). SSDs can hit 12GB/s now which is more than double the speed of a PS5 SSD. To be fair you'd need to upgrade to PCIE5 but 5GB's doesn't even max out PCIE4 lol.

Last edited:

John Wick

Staying one generation behind Nvidia still puts me in a hella solid lead from the PS5 both in terms of raw power/gameplay power on top of pricing. Your top of the line is literally 2-3 gens behind every time.
This is the definition of stupidity. Imagine a console with the latest GPU and then imagine the price?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
This is the definition of stupidity. Imagine a console with the latest GPU and then imagine the price?
Look at the price of the PS5 Pro and it doesn't even have the fastest GPU (or anything else).

Consoles are/were limited to what they could cost. If Sony is going to hike the price then at least make it worth it.

Last edited:

bbeach123

I dont understand , they could cut ssd to 1tb and easily hit 599$ .

Why would they feel the need to use 2tb and have a 699$ price tag . It doesnt look good .

They gotta had a unannounced 1tb version somewhere .

Last edited:

Astray

Why would they feel the need to use 2tb and have a 699$ price tag . It doesnt look good .

Most people are going to buy an SSD to upgrade storage, so they don't want to give away that additional margin to like Seagate or WD.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Are you trying to say it isn't their fault?

Cuz yeah, it kinda is. Their inability to fun studios and release good games made them a very unattractive platform.

They had MANY opportunities to fix their issues and they never did.
it's also the fault of people who don't want to see any competition and want to see Sony be in total control. if any of those people complain about price then they are to blame too. you got what you wanted. imagine if Microsoft released a Series Z at £550. Sony would be held to account and would be more likely to bring down the price.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Yeah but I'm hoping the next ps and xbox can bring the price down because they intend it to be their next primary home console selling 10s of millions... the problem with this ps5 pro is they know they probably won't sell that many of them. I do wonder how much of this is their typical arrogance and how much of it is actual build costs plus a little margin.
My guess is that the next Xbox will be super premium with a high price tag. They can do whatever they want, Sony as the older brand with much more fans outsells them anyways if they don't fuck up big time.

I think the next (and probably last) Xbox is rather a fanservice than an attempt so sell as many consoles as possible.

Last edited:

BlackTron

it's also the fault of people who don't want to see any competition and want to see Sony be in total control. if any of those people complain about price then they are to blame too. you got what you wanted. imagine if Microsoft released a Series Z at £550. Sony would be held to account and would be more likely to bring down the price.

People who don't want competition, and want Sony to have control, are shortsighted. But this opinion doesn't make it their fault that Sony is doing it, the only ones capable of keeping that in check are Sony's competition which failed. Edit: Unless the people who want Sony in control are inside Microsoft. In which case, okay yeah I give it to you. It's their fault.

Last edited:

They could even do 1tb w/dd and 2tb for digital. Maybe it was because Xbox Series X offers 2tb too.

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
People who don't want competition, and want Sony to have control, are shortsighted. But this opinion doesn't make it their fault that Sony is doing it, the only ones capable of keeping that in check are Sony's competition which failed.
It's also the people buying Sony products. If enough people buy the PS5 Pro it'll further convince Sony that they can charge even higher prices next gen. Vote with your wallet. Use this opportunity to send a message to Sony.

Last edited:

Brucey

My guess is that the next Xbox will super premium with a high price tag. They can do whatever they want, Sony as the older brand with much more fans outsells them anyways if they don't fuck up big time.

I think the next Xbox is rather a fanservice than an attempt so sell as many consoles as possible.
There's prob 5 to 10 million hardcore fans that will buy whatever MS releases, I don't see them getting to even og Xbox numbers in terms of lifetime sales though.

ManaByte

This is the one console future they desire. Let them pay the $700 and enjoy it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm sorry but this is bullshit. I don't owe Xbox or Microsoft anything. It is Xbox job to convince me to join their ecosystem. Not mine because "we need competition"
They have not done so and I see myself abandoning the platform completely once my Gamepass subscription expires.

In fact, I'd argue that I've supported Xbox better than most fanboys. I've bought games on their platform. I bought the XSX day 1. That was the last time I thought MS had a chance.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Well if you just bought a PS5 last year you're not exactly the target audience dude.
Even if I didn't buy a PS5 Slim last year I wouldn't be paying £700 for the Pro. I could buy TWO PS5s for that price or something more sane like a PS5 and a Steam Deck/Switch or Series S|X.

I'm sorry but this is bullshit. I don't owe Xbox or Microsoft anything. It is Xbox job to convince me to join their ecosystem. Not mine because "we need competition"
They have not done so and I see myself abandoning the platform completely once my Gamepass subscription expires.

In fact, I'd argue that I've supported Xbox better than most fanboys. I've bought games on their platform. I bought the XSX day 1. That was the last time I thought MS had a chance.
I'm not saying anyone owes Microsoft shit lmao. Of course it's their job to convince you to buy their product. I'm talking about fan boys who want to see Xbox disappear and only have Sony as an option. If there is no competition then Sony can do what they like.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
My guess is that the next Xbox will be super premium with a high price tag. They can do whatever they want, Sony as the older brand with much more fans outsells them anyways if they don't fuck up big time.

I think the next (and probably last) Xbox is rather a fanservice than an attempt so sell as many consoles as possible.

100% Microsoft has to think after this that they have free reign to do subsidised PC hardware with partners like Asus etc.

They just need to nail the Xbox OS for WIndows.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Of course Xbox has to earn your business but at least that option is there.

Just my 2 cents if Sony launches a PS6 and there is no other options to turn to do people really think Sony will be nice guy and eat costs on each console?

Why would they?

People will buy the PS6 at $600-$800 and bitch about it but people will buy it

Sony really needs a time machine so they can do yesterday over and announce the ps5 pro at 599 with a disc drive. People would be all over it.

That was never going to happen.

100% Microsoft has to think after this that they have free reign to do subsidised PC hardware with partners like Asus etc.

Part of the reason it's $699 is because Sony isn't subsidizing it. I think that's the future of consoles.

BlackTron

It's also the people buying Sony products. If enough people buy the PS5 Pro it'll further convince Sony that they can charge even higher prices next gen. Vote with your wallet. Use this opportunity to send a message to Sony.

I sort of agree, but I doubt a campaign is necessary to convince people to abstain from buying a $7/800 game console like we do with say, preordering Ubisoft games. If people send "the wrong message" about what people are willing to pay, and Sony needs to correct it, they will (see, 599 PS3). If people actually pay it, then it wasn't really the wrong message.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Australian retailers still haven’t released a single price on any website yet, just preorders coming soon. This could be $1,099 without the stand or drive at this rate.

forgetting about the price... I wanted to see bigger demos... like have 10 videos of snippets uploaded to their channel. Direct Feed stylee.

GT7 looks great with ray-traced reflections, but what else? I think devs should release a list of improvements tbh

John Wick

Look at the price of the PS5 Pro and it doesn't even have the fastest GPU (or anything else).

Consoles are/were limited to what they could cost. If Sony is going to hike the price then at least make it worth it.
Are you stupid? Or just being dense on purpose?
The PS5 Pro is £699 with a joypad.
How much do the fastest GPU's cost???
Never mind a PC with those GPU's.
Sony aren't hiking the price. They just aren't taking a loss on the machine as it's a niche product. They are selling it at current market climate. It's funny how PC gamers love paying premium prices just for GPU's that back when PS4 Pro launched where less than half price for the equivalent model now.

HDinRed

Neo Member
The pro wasn’t designed to sell 100 million units, it’s for a select group of gamers that probably only represent 10%-20% of console gamers. That group probably buys the most games and isn’t all that price sensitive, so it all kind of makes sense.

Those that own both and have been buying the Xbox version when it performs better will obviously get the PS version once the pro is released. I’m more of an Xbot, but facts are facts! Seems Xbox dropped the ball by not having something to compete.

Imagine building a library of physical media and then needing to buy an add-on just to use them on a new console LOL. I'm so glad I've been 100% digital gaming since 2012. For those who love physical media, get ready: the next generation will be all digital. At least in Sony's case, I see them adopting a similar approach, selling separate disc drives for those who want them. After all, it wouldn’t look good to prevent players from using their physical PS4/PS5 games on a future PS6. But that's the direction technology is headed. It happened with photos, music, and videos, and it's happening with games. However, it won’t completely disappear. There will still be options to consume these media physically, just like there are with photos, music, and videos.

lordrand11

The definition of stupidity is buying a console that locks your online experiences behind a paywall, your gaming experiences exclusively being curated by said company, and your hardware being significantly behind the rest of the developed world. Hence why they've started porting their games to PC, if it was stupid and useless, I wouldn't get a better experience on my computer than you're receiving on your console. Imagine thinking you can't plug a PC into a living room and make it a media powerhouse or use a controller with it naturally.

The only caveat that the consoles had was physical discs/collections and they've just paywalled the hell out of you for access to that.

ByWatterson

Of course Xbox has to earn your business but at least that option is there.

Just my 2 cents if Sony launches a PS6 and there is no other options to turn to do people really think Sony will be nice guy and eat costs on each console?

Why would they?

People will buy the PS6 at $600-$800 and bitch about it but people will buy it

Their competition isn't against other platform holders in this space, though, not anymore.

It's with TikTok, Roblox, YouTube, and Instagram. So, sure, they'll lose some pressure from Microsoft, but there is nearly no motivation to price-gouge when their actual competition (for time as opposed to money) is stronger than Microsoft ever was - and free.

Top Bottom