• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

VinnyMac

Doesn't the old disc drives from the new slim work as well? Like just keep the disc drive and sell as a digital if you're that pressed for a drive.

skyfinch

I'm Canadian so it won't be too bad.
I'm at the hospital pricing things out right now. I'm planning on getting a PS5 Pro, with disc drive and stand, and PSVR 2. Can someone tell me the price, in Canadian Dollars?

And do it soon, the Doctor wants to know which organ I want removed so I can afford this future proof monster of a machine!

saintjules

Gold Member
Just sell your current ps5 to gamestop for 300 makes the pro 400 what's the big deal?

I'm hearing certain gamestops in my area were not taking Consoles for trade as they had alot come in already. I'm sure that will change later, but I plan on keeping my base cuz I'm a collector.

Last edited:

sendit

Things like that can happen. It's all about PR. And no, it wouldn't make them look worse. If anything, it'll make them look better. If they're willing to admit their mistake and reduce the price by £100 to £150 (with the stand and the disc drive), people will forgive them and say that Sony listened. I'm willing to bet that if they put the price down, most of the people who weren't going to buy will now buy it.

At the end of the day, the customer is always right and they determine if the PS5 Pro is a success or not. If you piss them off, they won't buy it. But if Sony is willing to admit its mistake and apologize... and offer a price reduction, people will forgive Sony.
Curious, what do people here expect this to be priced at? The Series X with 2 TB is 599. The PS5 Pro with 2 TB has significantly more grunt than the Series X. Hell the Series X often gets beat by a 9 Teraflop base PS5.

I'm hearing certain gamestops in my area were not taking Consoles for trade as they had alot come in already. I'm sure that will change later, but I plan on keeping my base cuz I'm a collector.
Sell it on FB or something similar. People will pay $300 cash to avoid taxes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm Canadian so it won't be too bad.
I'm at the hospital pricing things out right now. I'm planning on getting a PS5 Pro, with disc drive and stand, and PSVR 2. Can someone tell me the price, in Canadian Dollars?

And do it soon, the Doctor wants to know which organ I want removed so I can afford this future proof monster of a machine!
Lol.

As a ballpark number for laughs for everyone it’ll be this in Canadian bucks.

System $960
Disc drive $100
Stand $40
PSVR 2 $750
Total $1,850
With 13% tax $2.090

Lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony really needs a time machine so they can do yesterday over and announce the ps5 pro at 599 with a disc drive. People would be all over it.
Lots of us in the polls had digital at $600 and disc drive system at $650-700.

And nobody thought the stand would be excluded too. Every forum chat predicting prices never considered stand yes or no as it was assumed it’s yes.

At $700 US with no disc drive or stand it’s insane. $810 US including them.

Or comparing PS5 slim digital vs PS5 Pro straight up, it’s $450 vs $700. $250 more dollars for something a bit better.

Or comparing fully featured. PS5 $500 vs PS5 Pro with extras is $810. $310 more.

Other regional comparisons are even worse esp. Euro prices and it’s hiked up an extra 50-100 on top of it some reason.

Last edited:

daffyduck

So in canada, with tax, that'll be about $1000?

kane-money.jpg

Jaybe

$700 with the disk drive would have been more palatable. It’s puzzling this is sold as a premium product at the top of the stack and yet a consumer needs to go buy a disk drive and assemble to get it to its best final state. We are at an odd point where the bottom of the stack (XSS) and top are both digital.

GermanZepp

if this machine can play GTA VI and the last batch of PS studios exclusives at 60 fps and i can trade in my PS5 maybe maaaaayyyybe i consider to get one.. In my country the PS5 is already $900/1000 USD so this is going to be like $1400 easily..

Alebrije

And nobody thought the stand would be excluded too. Every forum chat predicting prices never considered stand yes or no as it was assumed it’s yes.

Or comparing PS5 slim digital vs PS5 Pro straight up, it’s $450 vs $700. $250 more dollars for something a bit better.

Or comparing fully featured. PS5 $500 vs PS5 Pro with extras is $810. $310 more.

Other regional comparisons are even worse esp. Euro prices and it’s hiked up an extra 50-100 on top of it some reason.
But also most of predictions said 1tb ssd but it has 2 tb. ssd.

Personally prefer the 2tb ssd than the disc drive, because is easier for me to install the disc drive than the ssd...it sounds like a silly reason but a Lot of people don't want to look for a compatible ssd, then remove plates and install it.

Anyway PRO is an expensive devise for a Niche market. And that market know what will get from the pro. It not like " dude I got the Pro and cant run this Game at 8k 60fps" The pro market is more informed that the average PS5 user ,just the price Will make You get more information if they Console is worth.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Shipping with the standard controller, without disc drive and stand is very lame. The price just make it seem like they're desperately trying to recoup some serious recent losses.
They probably lost like 1 billion dollar with all their gaas bullshit the last few years. They should fire all current executives instead of letting consumers paying for that mismanagement.

It can't be overstated how silly this is.

nnytk

Neo Member
I thought you might know more. I just bought the disc drive since I bumped into one in a store. They also had the metal vertical stand which is compatible with the regular and slim PS5. I also bought this, thinking it would fit the pro model?

Your thoughts on that stand? Did I mess up? Or does will it fit fine on a pro console?

Nonehxc

Euro prices come at 980€, which exchanges for fucking 1079$

A difference of 269$ just because. That's how you shed all that good will built the last 10 years like you're sawing your side lards with a rusty spoon😆

And then will come the executives danger danger alert alert we're not only not selling the Pro in Europe, people are like fuck Sony and is boicotting us and since Playstation is our bread and butter of all Sony and Europe is our chomper, so much fucking danger danger alert alert.

They've really underestimated what a rowdy bunch we are over here, we will grab the pitchforks and torches and roast someone just for the lulz. 😇🔥🫠

nnytk

Neo Member
PSA: pre orders will be limited to PS Direct store for first two weeks from 26th September.
I guess they have different sites for customers in different regions? I've never bought anything directly from Sony. Is there a way to sign up for the exact time it goes live or something?

King Dazzar

I guess they have different sites for customers in different regions? I've never bought anything directly from Sony. Is there a way to sign up for the exact time it goes live or something?
Yeah the restriction is only for countries with a PS direct store.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I thought you might know more. I just bought the disc drive since I bumped into one in a store. They also had the metal vertical stand which is compatible with the regular and slim PS5. I also bought this, thinking it would fit the pro model?

Your thoughts on that stand? Did I mess up? Or does will it fit fine on a pro console?
I don't know for certain but would guess the stand and drive will both fit on the pro as what a nightmare that would be if they introduced 2 more skus for just the pro model.

I brought this up in another thread but the stand at least there are a lot of cheaper generics on Amazon than giving Sony $30 for one

nnytk

Neo Member
I don't know for certain but would guess the stand and drive will both fit on the pro as what a nightmare that would be if they introduced 2 more skus for just the pro model.

I brought this up in another thread but the stand at least there are a lot of cheaper generics on Amazon than giving Sony $30 for one
Right, well I just bought both. I thought I saw you saying you also got the drive and you seemed knowledgeable so I just jumped on it 😬☺️

Now all that's left is trying to secure a pre-order...

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
They raising prices all over the place without giving more for the money.

Ps+
Inflation.
Controller
Inflation.
Normal ps5
Exchange rates where they apply, and they're still losing money on that thing.
20 years of inflation.
Pro Version
Well, this wasn't out yet, so it didn't increase in price at all. They will most likely will make a significant margin on the Pro per unit. But that's the only reason to make one at all.

Fabieter

Inflation.

Inflation.

Exchange rates where they apply, and they're still losing money on that thing.

20 years of inflation.

Well, this wasn't out yet, so it didn't increase in price at all. They will most likely will make a significant margin on the Pro per unit. But that's the only reason to make one at all.

The recent 40% price increase for PlayStation Plus cannot be simply explained by inflation; it’s more a case of corporate greed. While inflation is often used as an excuse for price hikes, this particular increase goes far beyond what could reasonably be attributed to rising costs. It’s clear that this isn't about inflation—it's about maximizing profits.

For years, Sony has openly stated that they aim to extract more revenue from each user, and now they’re doing exactly that. So why do we keep excusing them? Not everything can be justified by inflation, and consumers have every right to question such steep price increases.

Where is the proof that Sony is still losing money on the PS5? I know there is a chart from a earning report but I doubt that doesnt contain psvr2 and ps5. So where is it? There were definite claims that they made money in 2021 and 2022.

Its a 100% increase over the ps4 pro.

Eszti

Banned
Vs9NKQd.png

this is the reason for the high price and no xbox comepetition this time. the ps5 got sold here in the first 2 years for over 1000€-650€.

so thank scalpers and also covidf that locked us all in so we spent all more to have fiun at home. i was guilty too with 900€ 3080.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

sendit

a consumer needs to go buy a disk drive and assemble to get it to its best final state.

Speak for yourself. I have a single physical game that came with my PS5 at release (Demons Soul), the rest of my catalog is digital. More people are likely in the same boat as I am.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The only reason I see buying this is for GTA6

...which has no release date and is now heavily rumored to be delayed to 2026

Im in no rush whatsoever to buy this thing

I cant believe they showed off nothing but older titles on it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fake

Gold Member
I remember people complaining about the reason PS4pro exist and I defended saying that 'PS4pro is the console to play Playstation games at their best'.

Well, there are pros and cons about porting games to PC and right now this is the cons to PS5pro. They can't say PS5pro is the best place to play Playstation games at best because now their games are on PC too and nothing can beat PC in graphics+perfomance.

I was told that port Playstation games to PC would help companies to get more resources to do sequels/new IPs, but Sony first party studios did nothing this generation.

Sony are in the rough spot.

Meanwhile, Nintendo got in a good position where they can ask any price for their Nintendo Switch 2 and answer consumers that Nintendo Switch 2 is the best place to play Nintendo games at their best, unless of course you want to put emulators into the argument.

Brand loyalty have their advantages. Nintendo got a perfect moment to announce Nintendo Swtcht 2. Whatever Nintendo gonna throw, people gonna buy because there is no other place to play Nintendo first party games at their best.

Last edited:
Of course it is relevant. The more you have invested the more you need to pay back and they are the only ones in the world that can produce what they can. Their investment is in machinery and good talent in process engineers. I've been inside the TSMC fabs, amazing what they have built. Not sure what you mean by R&D being a one time cost.

No, it's not relevant.

R&D spend is a one-off, one-time sunk cost. You don't increase prices to cover increased R&D spend. The price is dictated by the market forces and your required margins for profitability. R&D spend, like any other sunk business costs are managed to remain within a specified cost budget.

Personnel costs are just business overheads, again these are balanced to remain within a cost budget to ensure profitability margins against a price dictated by the market.

TSMC has not massively increased its head count recently. Their investment in overseas fabs are sunk costs and the overheads on those fabs when they come online will be balanced against the pricing of the chips that are taped out from those fabs when they come online.

TSMC is not increasing pricing of chips from their Taiwanese fabs to cover the costs of investment in overseas fabs. They use a combination of debt, money in the bank, and tax credits from the overseas territories in question to fund those projects.

TSMC increases prices of wafers from their Taiwanese fabs because they want to increase their operating margins. Pure and simple.

Last edited:

John Wick

The definition of stupidity is buying a console that locks your online experiences behind a paywall, your gaming experiences exclusively being curated by said company, and your hardware being significantly behind the rest of the developed world. Hence why they've started porting their games to PC, if it was stupid and useless, I wouldn't get a better experience on my computer than you're receiving on your console. Imagine thinking you can't plug a PC into a living room and make it a media powerhouse or use a controller with it naturally.

The only caveat that the consoles had was physical discs/collections and they've just paywalled the hell out of you for access to that.
Maybe some of us can afford both???
You don't need to tell me about the virtues of PC as I probably had one well before you.
Also you shouldn't be deciding for others what's better for them or not. You keep on harping on about what's value for proposition yet the PS5 is what's available at that price in current market conditions. PC players enjoying paying a premium for GPU'S so you shouldn't be calling other gamers out.

Fabieter

You don't need to tell me about the virtues of PC as I probably had one well before you.
Also you shouldn't be deciding for others what's better for them or not. You keep on harping on about what's value for proposition yet the PS5 is what's available at that price in current market conditions. PC players enjoying paying a premium for GPU'S so you shouldn't be calling other gamers out.

But building a pc isn't that far fetched from what you pay in Europe anymore. You can still prefer consoles ease of use but the value argument got definitely out of the window.

Danknugz

Nobody was blown away by 3DO lmao, system was trash.
maybe that's true (I personally loved it because it seemed way better than any other consoles at the time, NFS 1 and road rash were some of my favorites gaming memories), but even that is lost on ps5 pro because it's not any kind of thing everyone hasn't seen already, it's basically a mid to low range PC

John Wick

They raising prices all over the place without giving more for the money.

Ps+
Controller
Normal ps5
Games
Pro Version

They are on a roll for sure.
That's just about with everywhere. My go to place to eat has increased it's prices several times last few years and the portions have got smaller.

Xtib81

forgetting about the price... I wanted to see bigger demos... like have 10 videos of snippets uploaded to their channel. Direct Feed stylee.

GT7 looks great with ray-traced reflections, but what else? I think devs should release a list of improvements tbh
Judging by the reveal yesterday, it's as if nobody's ready. Like, they announce 40-50 titles with pro enhancements, what are those games ? Name them ! And are we talking about 40 or 50 titles ? Why being so vague ?
They just should've copied NVIDIA videos when they compared dlss off/on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
forgetting about the price... I wanted to see bigger demos... like have 10 videos of snippets uploaded to their channel. Direct Feed stylee.

GT7 looks great with ray-traced reflections, but what else? I think devs should release a list of improvements tbh
The weird thing about the video was when they’d show a side by side screenshot, why did they made the picture so small? Should had made it full blown out the entire screen.

welshrat

Yeah. I was saying in an earlier post. Many Aussies would find it hard to break through the mental barrier of 1k AUD.

Me on the other hand.

k5IvQiR.jpeg
Yep. Mine will be with me tomorrow. It's like when I was a kid and had all my Amiga cover disks ready and the machine was still 6 months away for my Christmas present

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
Wonder if the new Dragon Age will get pro support day 1. It comes out 1 week before the console. I will wait, if it gets one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Of course Xbox has to earn your business but at least that option is there.

Just my 2 cents if Sony launches a PS6 and there is no other options to turn to do people really think Sony will be nice guy and eat costs on each console?

Why would they?

People will buy the PS6 at $600-$800 and bitch about it but people will buy it
I have to push back on this a little.

At the end of the day, Sony's Playstation model lives and dies by the amount of games they sell. If they price these too high, then that limits the amount of software they can sell.

So no, I don't think Sony will price their console out of the stratosphere. They need the volume to sell games. No ifs ands or buts.

But Sony also thought Concord was a good idea....

Last edited:

lordrand11

Maybe a good portion of us can. That doesn't mean you have to stan one over the other as I've got all the current machines.

I appreciate the young remark, but if you're similar in age to myself I doubt you had a PC before me.

Nobody's deciding anything other than you making your random "dEfInitIon oF StewpIDity" comments in your previous one. I don't know what kind of premium you're paying for the 30 series GPUs but they aren't that expensive, hell buying them second hand is cheaper still. Hell, buying a used gaming PC off of Facebook marketplace or elsewhere is still cheaper than this.

I really think you'd be better off following your advice than expressing and expecting others to follow it.

Back to the conversation, PS5 Pro is an outrageously expensive console that isn't worth the cost for the nominal upgrades it provides given it's higher price point and lack of a disc drive.

eerik9000

Sony needs a proper first-party/AAA showcase ASAP, and they need to bring back 3-year hype cycles. I think the sentiment around PS5 Pro would be much more positive if people had a better idea of what kind of fancy new games they can expect to play on it. Right now it is just GTA VI, Wolverine, and Death Stranding 2, I guess? Almost every game shown in the "technical presentation", which wasn't even very technical, were cross-gen PS4 titles. Very poor choice.

PS4 Pro was the first game console I ever bought, and I did it mostly based on what was announced and shown during E3 and PSX 2016:
God of War reboot
Days Gone
The Last Guardian
Horizon Zero Dawn
Detroit Become Human
Spider-Man
Death Stranding
Uncharted Lost Legacy
The Last of Us Part II
etc.

A lot of stuff to get excited about and look forward to. But now? Just buy an €800-euro console and hope for the best? I know that games will come, I'm not stupid, Sony has a lot of studios working on stuff that should be getting ready to ship soon, but I would like to see just a little bit of confirmation that the purchase will be worth it in the long run.

Last edited:

Allandor

Well it might just be, that Sony wants 800€ for this now, so they can cut the price before launch and than say "see, we hear at our community" and than sell it for 750€ so gamers things Sony reacted and now they get the PS5 pro for a good price...

Last edited:
Top Bottom