• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Officially Announced - Releasing Nov 7th - Price: $699.99 €$799.99 ¥119,980

Codeblew

Just sell your current ps5 to gamestop for 300 makes the pro 400 what's the big deal?
That is what I plan to do once I transfer all of my games over.
$700 with the disk drive would have been more palatable. It’s puzzling this is sold as a premium product at the top of the stack and yet a consumer needs to go buy a disk drive and assemble to get it to its best final state. We are at an odd point where the bottom of the stack (XSS) and top are both digital.
The disc drive is wasteful for those of us that are digital only. We don't want to pay extra for the drive.

Last edited:

sachos

Took the time to take screenshots from the IGN higher quality video and save them as PNG.

PS5 Fidelity 30FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, here it seems like the Pro Fidelity looks sharper than the PS5 fidelity, i doesnt seem to be motion blur though.
FygIMX5.png

PS5 Performance 60FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, here i took the screenshot as soon as the footage started to avoid camera movement
TFf36Ci.png

PS5 Fidelity 30FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, here it seems like motion blur and depth of field is disabled on the Pro footage. I took the screenshot as soon as the footage started to avoid camera movement but it is hard.
WXjtmW9.png

PS5 Performance 60FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, look at the sign
4MlwhYc.png

PS5 Fidelity 30FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, this one i had to save as JPG because of the upload size limit. I took the screenshot before they started moving to minimize motion blur artifacts. Check out the difference in shadows, not sure why that is
cadg3zk.jpeg

PS5 Performance RT 60FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS
4oH38YG.png

Am I the only one who thinks these Pro consoles are a scam? You are so reliant on the developers to patch support to use the additional power and there is no incentive for non-first-party developers to do that. Sure most upcoming AAA games will probably support PS5 Pro but what about everything else? The PS5 Pro is powerful enough to run some older PS4 games and indie games at well above 60FPS but you won't be able to do that if the devs don't patch that support in. Maybe console gamers are ok with this but as a PC gamer, I'd hate to upgrade to a higher-tier graphics card and then need to wait for patches to take advantage of the additional power I paid for.
Yes because clearly you dont understand what a scam actually is

John Wick

You're absolutely correct! Except one teeny tiny little thing, 3080s aren't $700 sir. Newegg is not a good estimate anymore. I see them going for anywhere from $470 to $700, that's renewed (like new) to brand new, to on sale etc.,

As a traditional PS5 absolutely, but not the PRO.

The fact your name calling tells me you're a stan and anything outside your wheelhouse that doesn't fit your narrative is gonna be met with this stupid aggression whining. GPU's have been going up in price, but usually only the newest of the new, let's check the comparable 6800xt via AMD, anywhere from $350 - $600 currently, the latest model, the 7800xt, one gen ahead of the 68 is going for about $60 more than the previous generation card.

Because I can talk about what I'm passionate about and have an opinion on it just like anyone else in this thread.

Again, this is a dumb mistake on Sony's behalf. One they'll likely suffer for.
It's isn't a dumb mistake at all by Sony. This is a niche premium product. Sony don't expect this to sell anywhere near PS5 levels. Your not expected to buy one if it's above your price level.
So can you explain why then a Geforce GTX 980 from 2014 and how it's equivalent GTX 3080 costs more than double it's price???
Yet you expect the PS5 Pro to cost similar to the PS5 in current market conditions?

John Wick

Because it’s a discussion forum?
It isn't a discussion in good faith. I don't jump into Nvidia GTX4090 threads to complain and whine about it's price and how as a value proposition it's outrageously expensive compared to a 4080. Because I understand it's a premium product. For those willing to pay the price. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the Pro. You have an alternative cheaper PS5 and Series X.

Took the time to take screenshots from the IGN higher quality video and save them as PNG.

PS5 Fidelity 30FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, here it seems like the Pro Fidelity looks sharper than the PS5 fidelity, i doesnt seem to be motion blur though.
FygIMX5.png

PS5 Performance 60FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, here i took the screenshot as soon as the footage started to avoid camera movement
TFf36Ci.png

PS5 Fidelity 30FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, here it seems like motion blur and depth of field is disabled on the Pro footage. I took the screenshot as soon as the footage started to avoid camera movement but it is hard.
WXjtmW9.png

4MlwhYc.png

PS5 Fidelity 30FPS vs PS5 Pro Fidelity 60FPS, this one i had to save as JPG because of the upload size limit. I took the screenshot before they started moving to minimize motion blur artifacts. Check out the difference in shadows, not sure why that is
cadg3zk.jpeg

4oH38YG.png
This looks like a pretty nice upgrade.

LiquidRex

It isn't a discussion in good faith. I don't jump into Nvidia GTX4090 threads to complain and whine about it's price and how as a value proposition it's outrageously expensive compared to a 4080. Because I understand it's a premium product. For those willing to pay the price. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy the Pro. You have an alternative cheaper PS5 and Series X.
No stand, no Diskdrive and all they had was a 9 minute presentation from Mark Cerny from his bathroom to sell you on it. It's an absolute PR failure. Also the comparisons they used were absolutely terrible, barely noticeable and then they hit you with a 700 price tag. They dropped the ball.

saintjules

Gold Member
Ahh. When the PS2 was coming out in 2000, my Brother and I put our weekly allowances together and saved money over the course of 6 months. We had it. The money to buy a Playstation 2. But we didn't pre-order it! I went to Target on the long line and was disappointed that the first 100 ppl in line could get one. I had $350 in my pocket going to school that morning. 2 months later I was able to find one. From then on I decided to pre-order every hardware that I wanted.

Rumor about the Pro was in 2022. In 2023 they had more firm evidence this thing was real. I put 2 and 2 together. Start saving. Now. In the 18 month period I put money away weekly and now have $1100USD to cover this cost.

Just keep in mind you have plenty of time to buy this thing. The craziness in some sort of FOMO over the pricing is funny. You can always buy this thing in January. February. March 2025. It will be there for you. There's no urgency to buy this in November. If you think there is, then you really wanted the Pro from jump.

Radical_3d

FygIMX5.png

TFf36Ci.png

WXjtmW9.png

4MlwhYc.png

cadg3zk.jpeg

4oH38YG.png
Still looks rubbish on my iPhone but I saw the video on my 4K TV and the difference between performance and Pro was noticeable even without the zoom. And those aren’t the worst offenders since they don’t use FSR2. So good stuff. It’s just that, I don’t want to give 1.050$ to Totoki for this only because I live in the wrong continent.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

FygIMX5.png

TFf36Ci.png

WXjtmW9.png

4MlwhYc.png

cadg3zk.jpeg

4oH38YG.png
Thanks for putting the comparison together.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
We have to unite and boycott Playstation, not allow them to sell the reader separately and let the physical format continue... I think we have to stop buying Playstation and buy Nintendo cartridges, so that it hurts them.

Bojji

It’s a blurry shadow. It looks worse regardless.

I never liked this effect on rt shadows (or Nvidia pcss before that) but this is more close to real life shadows and much more expensive to compute than shadow maps on PS5 (the one for poor people).

Jesb

I never liked this effect on rt shadows (or Nvidia pcss before that) but this is more close to real life shadows and much more expensive to compute than shadow maps on PS5 (the one for poor people).
Maybe I’m not looking at it from a realistic point of view of how shadows look in real life in certain situations, but blurry to me never looks better. I’d think that a tree would have a more sharp less blurry shadow from that distance. But I could be wrong and it’s simulating it more accurately. 🤷‍♂️

Sinfulgore

Yes because clearly you dont understand what a scam actually is
Maybe scam is too strong of a word but I find the way these Pro consoles are advertised to be very misleading. They spend so much time talking about how much more powerful it is and what it can do that the base consoles can't but you won't see any of that benefit on most games released for the console. The fact that console gamers just accept that is crazy but then again they accept paying to play online so I guess Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo know their audience.

vivftp

The biggest miss opportunity was doing a Bloodbourne remake on the Unreal Engine 5 exclusive for the PlayStation 5 Pro

None of Sonys Pro consoles will ever have an exclusive game, that's the entire point. They're part of the same console generation, only dialed up to 11.

I am confident that a Bloodborne remaster/remake is in the works, it's just a question of when it'd land. It could be 2025 for the 10th anniversary, or it could be later. We'll just have to wait and see.

Bungie

For Sony to think I want to replay all their most recent single player games again with changes that small for $700 is laughable. Most I got 100% on. It's just purely not worth it for me until there's enough new releases & by then next gen is right around the corner.

I personally can see why Microsoft waited. The difference isn't worth the price, no matter how you put it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That is a stupid argument. Most people don’t pay for those $1,000 phones up front. They get them on contract.
Things like Affirm exist online as an option as well. In today's economy, most online retailers are adding that option or similar methods of payment plans.

$1100-$1500 phone is still an $1100-$1500 phone at the end of the day.

vivftp

For Sony to think I want to replay all their most recent single player games again with changes that small for $700 is laughable. Most I got 100% on. It's just purely not worth it for me until there's enough new releases & by then next gen is right around the corner.

I personally can see why Microsoft waited. The difference isn't worth the price, no matter how you put it.

Those games were meant to show off the difference between the 2 consoles and how the PS5 Pro handles itself when merging fidelity and performance modes into a definitive mode, plus other upgrades like RT in races in GT7 and whatnot.

Comparisons between future games will come of course, this was just the initial reveal.

Those games were meant to show off the difference between the 2 consoles and how the PS5 Pro handles itself when merging fidelity and performance modes into a definitive mode, plus other upgrades like RT in races in GT7 and whatnot.

Comparisons between future games will come of course, this was just the initial reveal.
DS2 on Pro is going to be epic.

vivftp

DS2 on Pro is going to be epic.

Indeed, with its vast open maps, it's gonna be a sight to behold. Can't wait for more info on GTA6 on the Pro as well.

The sheer amount of games from SIE along that we're gonna get over the next few years is gonna be staggering. I'm overjoyed that I'll be able to play 'em on the Pro where I should get a definitive console version rather than having to choose between fidelity and performance modes.

paolo11

Im going to ask an odd question. Is the PS5 Pro be manufactured mostly in Japan or it wil be 50/50 China/Japan like the original PS5? I want to collect Ps Console systems and Nintendo made in Japan. Just a collection thingie

Poppyseed

Wonder what the cooling system is in the PS5 Pro. Hopefully better than in the Slim which is so damn noisy from the second you hit X to load a game.

Maybe scam is too strong of a word but I find the way these Pro consoles are advertised to be very misleading. They spend so much time talking about how much more powerful it is and what it can do that the base consoles can't but you won't see any of that benefit on most games released for the console. The fact that console gamers just accept that is crazy but then again they accept paying to play online so I guess Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo know their audience.
Show me where Mark Cerny said anything misleading during the PS5 Pro reveal.

Whats fkn hilarious to me is you trying to dunk on console users for getting scammed and being sheep for paying for online when PC users willingly get rammed up the butt by nvidia lmao :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

sono

PS2 launch price was $299 in year 2000 that is equiv to $564 today

The pro isnt a new console launch while it is good performance that launch price is too high

What happened to the mass production/ mass market pricing Sony ?

near

Gold Member
The improvements look great compared to PS5 performance mode on these games

Lu5F0Ae.gif

lE3ONFe.gif
These GIFS make the base model's image quality look ugly, but I guarantee if I was playing this on a TV I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This guys point on, just buy a gaming PC at this point. I can not understand why people woudn't do that. Play every game possible, including Xbox games and third parties with graphics toggles so you can run every game how you want.
Look at the way it's resolving those wires in the fences in the back, poor upscaling usually butchers these but this looks like how dlss handles it

This absolutely looks like when you switch DLSS on your GPU. Its a noticeable upgrade, it's down to the end user to decide if that's worth the insane price tag.

How many truly exclusive next gen games are there on the base PS5 at the moment anyway?

Demons Souls
Ratchet and Clank
Spiderman 2

Am I missing any? I haven't been following console gaming that much lately as I've been pretty much sucked into Total War Warhammer 3 on PC and can't see myself playing anything else for years. Maybe I should sell my PS5.

Top Bottom