• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro pre-orders go live |OT|

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was pleasantly surprised how much I was able to get for my XSX at GameStop. Was able to get it for effectively $335. Had some good experiences playing Xbox titles I missed out on, but now that MS is going third party for many of their titles I’d rather buy them on the Pro where they’ll play better. I never really liked the GamePass model model much so I won’t miss it

I’ll trade in my PS5 in November for the Pro but I’ll probably get less since it’s a digital edition.

Still, Ybarra was right about the trade in deals lessening the blow for the cost of the Pro
A lot of people, like myself, likely trading in hardware for the current gen machines and again like myself will trade the pro on the PS6

I even traded my PS3 in for that PS4 that traded into the PS5

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
A lot of people, like myself, likely trading in hardware for the current gen machines and again like myself will trade the pro on the PS6

I even traded my PS3 in for that PS4 that traded into the PS5

Yep I remember trading in my ps4 pro for a ps5 and still got around $250 for it

Old hardware seems to get you close to 50% value of new hardware

Over 8+ years you end up paying like $125/year to always have the best hardware

Worth it

FrankWza

People aren't able to see it like this. Consoles are the best value on the market.
It also makes sense from a risk standpoint. 8 years is a long time and a lot of consoles can crap out when your using them daily for hours at a time. If your console dies, you're looking at a full purchase of a new console. You would end up paying the same amount as a trade up to a Pro right now to get a standard PS5 in year 5 or 6 or 7. Even if the slim drops in price it's not going to be under $299 any time soon

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
It also makes sense from a risk standpoint. 8 years is a long time and a lot of consoles can crap out when your using them daily for hours at a time. If your console dies, you're looking at a full purchase of a new console. You would end up paying the same amount as a trade up to a Pro right now to get a standard PS5 in year 5 or 6 or 7. Even if the slim drops in price it's not going to be under $299 any time soon

The PS5 Pro is a complete no brainer, which is funny because so much narrative online suggests that the price is UNBELIEVABLE!

You'll get an extra year of warranty, a newer device as you mentioned, better performance, and better value for the trade in towards the PS6.

That year 5 PS5 standard is far more likely to break down than the brand new Pro (assuming there aren't production issues or cut corners).

Last edited:

Little Mac

Gold Member
I have a PS5 Slim that I want to sell or trade in for a Pro, but not before the Pro's launch because I having alot of fun with it atm. I also have a SSD drive installed that I'd need to take out and transplant to the Pro.

What are my best options? Preorder the Pro from Sony and sell the Slim on FB Marketplace or Craigslist after it arrives? Trade in Slim at GameStop post launch?

FrankWza

I have a PS5 Slim that I want to sell or trade in for a Pro, but not before the Pro's launch because I having alot of fun with it atm. I also have a SSD drive installed that I'd need to take out and transplant to the Pro.

What are my best options? Preorder the Pro from Sony and sell the Slim on FB Marketplace or Craigslist after it arrives? Trade in Slim at GameStop post launch?
I think Playstation direct also takes trade ins. Not sure of they value they offer. As far as maximizing it's possible that a place like gamestop could offer a trade-up deal for higher than they are currently offering on or around launch but it's also possible the trade value drops. I guess waiting is the best deal because you continue to be able to play and then you still have options to sell or trade and unless the value of both plummets you'll still get a decent amount.

Top Bottom