• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro pre-orders go live |OT|

bundylove

Well I know u couldn’t at Best Buy’s website said preorders begin on 10/10 when checked and direct website says

“Get early pre-order access
September 26th - October 10th”

List all sites but direct as 10/10 as well
plJPyPL.jpeg

diffusionx

Gold Member
People are so conditioned to think if a product doesn’t sell out day one it’s not selling good which makes no sense.

Obviously Sony wants to make as much money as possible and they can’t do that if they don’t have enough consoles available to sell.

The only reason most things sell out day one is because of low stock or manufactured fomo tactics, like what they are doing with the 30th anniversary edition ps5 pro.
Sony spent years working through PS5 supply issues, it would be crazy if the Pro had supply issues, especially considering the PS4 Pro did not.

The fact is that anyone who wants a console should be able to get one. Somehow Apple is able to ship tens of millions of preordered iPhones within a couple weeks of launch, all in different colors and configs, that should be the standard.

Like I have said before, Sony signaled to retailers stock would not be a problem, for the US anyhow

This is zero indication if this product is successful or not

I can walk into any store in Southern Indiana and see tons of PS5 sitting on shelves and no Xbox Series X

I guess by your logic the Series X is being a huge success
At my local Walmart they are using the area with Xbox signage to store more PS5s.

demigod

Nothing sold out prior to covid. The ps4 was available for days and weeks. It dipped in and out of stock short term.

If I can be assed later I might dig out some posts but I got a birthday today so I'm gonna be out.

Let's see how the pro plays out. I'm not convinced it's going to do well this time. Not as well as the ps4 pro and that's not great.

Are people really trying to change the narrative to they only sat in queues for hours to get 30th anniversary editions and that they knew they could just log in at any time to buy a pro? I'm not falling for that at all.
Where da receipts at?

hemo memo

Gold Member
I have an RTX 4070. Should I buy the PS5 Pro?
Gemini
If you already have an RTX 4070, buying a PS5 Pro might not be the best investment. Here's why:
* Comparable Performance: Early benchmarks and analyses suggest the PS5 Pro's GPU performance is roughly on par with an RTX 4070. While the PS5 Pro might offer some optimizations for specific games, you won't experience a significant leap in visual quality or performance.
* Limited Exclusives: While there are some fantastic PlayStation exclusives, many major titles are also released on PC. If you primarily play multi-platform games, you might not fully utilize the PS5 Pro.
* PC Advantages: Your PC offers flexibility, upgradeability, and a wider selection of games compared to a console. You can tailor your PC experience to your preferences and access various online communities and modding scenes.
Huh

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Like I have said before, Sony signaled to retailers stock would not be a problem, for the US anyhow

This is zero indication if this product is successful or not

I can walk into any store in Southern Indiana and see tons of PS5 sitting on shelves and no Xbox Series X

I guess by your logic the Series X is being a huge success

Hehe, not saying that at all.

I am saying that s lot of people on here thought it would sell out. Why would people be stuck in queues and posting pure panic posts that they can't buy etc. Deep down we all know that was fomo thinking it would sell out. The reality is it's not going to be hard to get hold of.

We need to wait and see how well it actually sells and the worse it sells the less of a chance that developers will put effort into ports. It's going to be series s and x all over again but with a much smaller market share on the pro model. I could see plenty of scenarios where developers don't push the box.

Sony first party games will be amazing, that's why I'm going to pick up LE edition or if I see a deal where it drops in price.

I think a lot of us thought it would sell out in the pre order window but it's clearly not happening.

Edit. By LE I mean a death standing 2 version or ghost of yotei etc.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I am saying that s lot of people on here thought it would sell out. Why would people be stuck in queues and posting pure panic posts that they can't buy etc. Deep down we all know that was fomo thinking it would sell out. The reality is it's not going to be hard to get hold of.

We need to wait and see how well it actually sells and the worse it sells the less of a chance that developers will put effort into ports. It's going to be series s and x all over again but with a much smaller market share on the pro model. I could see plenty of scenarios where developers don't push the box.

Sony first party games will be amazing, that's why I'm going to pick up LE edition or if I see a deal where it drops in price.

I think a lot of us thought it would sell out in the pre order window but it's clearly not happening.

I think the queue system proves it sort of works because we have a few people here that got LE Pros that are actual gamers

This queue system kicks everyone at launch time and basically it’s a lottery who gets in quick enough thus why you should log in from different devices

Yes there was a lot of fomo

My only point is unless we know how many was available we can’t decide if selling out was a success

They made 20 million and so far 5 million are left that is a failure?

Or they made 3 million and those all sold out is that a success?

saintjules

Gold Member
I think the queue system proves it sort of works because we have a few people here that got LE Pros that are actual gamers

This queue system kicks everyone at launch time and basically it’s a lottery who gets in quick enough thus why you should log in from different devices

Yes there was a lot of fomo

My only point is unless we know how many was available we can’t decide if selling out was a success

They made 20 million and so far 5 million are left that is a failure?

Or they made 3 million and those all sold out is that a success?

Did pre-order numbers come out or were those examples?

saintjules

Gold Member

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Well, applied for the Anniversary Edition in Japan, they actually did what I suggested in another thread (to a degree) requiring a PSN created before Feb 2024 with 30 hours "clocked" to deter scalpers:

OY2ENqL.jpeg

All done by lottery and the winners won't even be announced until Nov 7th, the wait begins lol.

Edit: misread the dates, account could have been created up until Sep 18th 2024 but the 30 hours still makes sense, I imagine many scalpers made accounts and never used them.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Again - we have no idea what the supply situation is. It could have been awful and sold out. Nobody that was queing up was making any sort of assumption based on TOTAL sales. They were doing so to prevent a scenario that it would have sold out. Selling out tells you nothing by itself. We have no idea what supply is.

What difference is it going to make if it does end up bombing? Like 5% of total PS5 sales? Not a damn difference vs. 10-15% of sales.

Cerny made this console easy to develop for - that's the whole point of PSSR. All these ports in FF7R, Spider-man, etc. are not taking advantage of anything other than the PSSR. Which is basically almost as easy as clicking a button. Claiming it won't get support is absurd.

emivita

Well, applied for the Anniversary Edition in Japan, they actually did what I suggested in another thread (to a degree) requiring a PSN created before Feb 2024 with 30 hours "clocked" to deter scalpers:

OY2ENqL.jpeg

All done by lottery and the winners won't even be announced until Nov 7th, the wait begins lol.

Why didn't they do this in EU and US? FFS, I really wanted the 30th anniversary Pro, no way I'm buying the standard PS5 Pro at full MSRP, I'll be waiting for the inevitable Black Friday sale.

dEvAnGeL

Cancelled my preorder. Will try and get one on BestBuy. Seeing stock still available at PSD, most likely means retail stores will have enough inventory to walk in and pick one up on release date. I did keep the 30th anniversary dualsense preorder.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Pretty surprised it's still available online at the Sony store

Hopefully it's a sign that I won't have any issues when I trade in the OG next week. Havent set foot inside a GameStop in eons :messenger_dizzy:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Cancelled my preorder. Will try and get one on BestBuy. Seeing stock still available at PSD, most likely means retail stores will have enough inventory to walk in and pick one up on release date. I did keep the 30th anniversary dualsense preorder.
Why didn’t you just wait till you know you got one from Best Buy ?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I will cancel mine at PSD as well once I secure a couple at Gamestop so I can trade in my launch day PS5

dEvAnGeL

Why didn’t you just wait till you know you got one from Best Buy ?
I preordered mostly due to FOMO. I am the target audience. However, almost every game being updated on release window i already have on PC (4090). So if I don’t get one immediately i will be okay. I want it for the upcoming Sony first party games since they don’t release their games on PC same day.

LordCBH

OY2ENqL.jpeg

Edit: misread the dates, account could have been created up until Sep 18th 2024 but the 30 hours still makes sense, I imagine many scalpers made accounts and never used them.

The fact that they refused to do this in other markets is just infuriating.

Radical_3d

I've been thinking about cancelling it as well.

1. I've been rethinking the way I play games lately and really would like to simplify things (I'm a minimalist in everything other aspect of my life besides gaming) which means shifting a little more to the PC end of things due to various circumstances.
2. I'm going to be trading in my PS5 if I buy one and based off of how long it lasted I'm thinking I can probably get it from Gamestop close to release and just spend less out of pocket.

Rob_27

I grabbed a 30th controller earlier. I think that's all I'm going to get unless there is a restock at some stage. Why say currently unavailable and not sold out.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I’m wondering if I should change my pre order to Amazon to get 5% back does anyone have a history with pre ordering from them

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I was pleasantly surprised how much I was able to get for my XSX at GameStop. Was able to get it for effectively $335. Had some good experiences playing Xbox titles I missed out on, but now that MS is going third party for many of their titles I’d rather buy them on the Pro where they’ll play better. I never really liked the GamePass model model much so I won’t miss it

I’ll trade in my PS5 in November for the Pro but I’ll probably get less since it’s a digital edition.

Still, Ybarra was right about the trade in deals lessening the blow for the cost of the Pro

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Do you own a PC? I sold my series x and haven't missed it at all. My intention was to share games between PC and living room but I just never turned the box on. It's literally what I have done with every Xbox since the 360. I buy it because I like tech but sell it 6 months on as I never use it.

Just to add I love my PS5 and have ordered a pro it just seems to be the Xbox brand I have issues with and I have no idea why. I keep trying and just waste my money. This time around I was sure I would use the series x as on paper it's great hardware but alas it wasn't to be. Hopefully have learnt my lesson now.

No PC but this is pretty much me

I’ve owned every Xbox but never really seemed to get anywhere near enough attention to warrant (other than OG Xbox and 360)

Glad they are changing their strategy though so their games are more accessible to other platform users

Top Bottom