• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
And this i what I have been trying to say.

The PS5pro is basically being designed to take the 30fpss mode of the base PS5, and allow you to have a mode on the PS5pro, that will give you fidelity close to that 30fps mode while running at 60fps. Without any of the caveats being made to get to 60fps on the base PS5.

What I am curious to know is what the PS5pro fidelity mode would be about, just the base PS5 fidelity mode but at 30fps/40fps?
That's my issue with the Pro, I get that it will now offer the PS5 40fps RT fidelity mode in 60fps but then we'll simply have the PRO 40fps RT Fidelity mode, they would need to lock out the lower frames and simply target 60fps as a minimum for me consider jumping on otherwise I'll always default to the best graphics and miss out on that 60fps buttery smoothness

Mr.Phoenix

That's my issue with the Pro, I get that it will now offer the PS5 40fps RT fidelity mode in 60fps but then we'll simply have the PRO 40fps RT Fidelity mode, they would need to lock out the lower frames and simply target 60fps as a minimum for me consider jumping on otherwise I'll always default to the best graphics and miss out on that 60fps buttery smoothness
An interesting problem for sure.

I think the PS5pro 30/40fps (fidelity mode) will be just a more stable version of the PS5 base model's fidelity mode. So where base is pushing 1800p, Pro would be 4K. But the difference would be that where the base has 0-2 RT effects, the Pro could have 2-4 RT effects by default. And then I believe the Pro's unique mode... Fidelity+? would be that fidelity pro mode but at 60fps, and achieved by dropping the internal native rez from 1800p-4K to 1080p/1296p-1440p and then PSSR'ed to 4k.

I however believe that we should look at and expect the easiest and most painless system as that is what most devs would stick with.

Audiophile

Looking at GT7 for eg. which is running Native 4K @ 60-90fps on the base PS5...

For the Pro I'd like to see something like them locking it at 1530p @ 60fps, use PSSR to 2x the res to 4K and FSR 3.1 frame-gen to 2x the fps to 120fps. Then use the additional & freed-up compute + RT hardware to push RT reflections/shadows in-game and higher precision fx.

Mr.Phoenix

Looking at GT7 for eg. which is running Native 4K @ 60-90fps on the base PS5...

For the Pro I'd like to see something like them locking it at 1530p @ 60fps, use PSSR to 2x the res to 4K and FSR 3.1 frame-gen to 2x the fps to 120fps. Then use the additional & freed-up compute + RT hardware to push RT reflections/shadows in-game and higher precision fx.
Technically, if the game is really running at native 4K already and doing 60fps+, then the pro can keep all that and just add in the RT stuff. But I gather it would also have a more specialized pro mode.

If they really increase that much will It be possible to add raytracing during races for Gran Turismo 7??

Would think that ray tracing will get added during racing (shadows could work really well on some courses) and a frame rate bump

As far I understand with the pro and pssr it’s going to be

Resolution boost
Frame boost
Ray tracing
(Did they also mention adding other new effects in ?)

Or a mix of all 3 depending on the game and dev

with pssr freeing up compute units to focus on other areas that the dev targets. Like improved ray tracing, that’s sort of thing

Or (i am guessing) that the 300 tops figure is from a new part on the gpu and not a separate npu and those resources have to come from somewhere. Just like if they implement the double issue compute abilities, on areas that brings benefits

I’m still thinking that this is just a hardware beta test for the ps6 and will shape where Sony thinks gaming and hardware will be at. Come around 2028. as they have went much larger on the compute unit side, not done a lot with the memory, cpu or even the larger caches. So that says it’s a test for there and software in regard to pssr and how far above the ps5 and the ‘specs’ games will reach. And the docs seem to point to pssr being evolving software. So that may even develop or change, once it releases and developers get to grips with it

(the next Xbox, for once is a mystery and could alter the game for Sony though. Or it could just follow the more power to do stuff path. Although rumours of a switch like handheld with a boosting dock would be a cool thing to see. Probably just rumours though)

Mr.Phoenix

If they really increase that much will It be possible to add raytracing during races for Gran Turismo 7??
I believe so... if the base PS5 with its 10Tf is already doing native 4K@60fps, then all that extra PS5pro power in both raster and RT can go towards just adding RT reflections and even shadows during the races. They could even use PSSR to replace the TAA used in the game for a better AA resolve. I feel games like GT7 would be the easiest to make benefit from the PS5pro. They already have everything in there they need...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
the game runs at native 4k 100 fps on some tracks. id say they can add rt today on the base ps5 if they wanted to.

my guess is that they are cpu bound on the rt. rt reflections typically have a 35% hit on nvidia GPUs as long as you have the CPU and vram to handle the extra workload. they already have plenty of vram considering its a last gen game so im guessing its cpu bound today.

If that 10% cpu bump along with the 2-4x faster rt performance gets them the headroom they need, we should definitely see rt reflections during gameplay.

And this i what I have been trying to say.

The PS5pro is basically being designed to take the 30fpss mode of the base PS5, and allow you to have a mode on the PS5pro, that will give you fidelity close to that 30fps mode while running at 60fps. Without any of the caveats being made to get to 60fps on the base PS5.

What I am curious to know is what the PS5pro fidelity mode would be about, just the base PS5 fidelity mode but at 30fps/40fps?
Yep eventually 99.99% of games will likely run at 60fps (or close) on PS5 Pro. Some "experts" will just have to change their "30fps will become the norm" script. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Game 1​

Target – image quality close to Fidelity Mode (1800p) with Performance Mode FPS (60 FPS)

Standard PlayStation 5 –
  • Performance Mode – 1080p at 60FPS
  • Fidelity Mode – 1800p at 30FPS
PlayStation 5 Pro –
  • 1440p at 60FPS (PSSR used)

Looking at this again is interesting as presumably Game 1 is a raster only game with no RT. Here they only had to drop internal resolution by 35% in order to double framerate from 30 to 60 while achieving same or most likely even better image quality.

Can someone explain to me the grave concern over PS5 Pro rasterization performance again??

Looking at this again is interesting as presumably Game 1 is a raster only game with no RT. Here they only had to drop internal resolution by 35% in order to double framerate from 30 to 60 while achieving same or most likely even better image quality.

Can someone explain to me the grave concern over PS5 Pro rasterization performance again??
Seems that the above scenario align in-line with quoted 45% performance uplift for raster quite nicely in mathematical terms:

For ease of understanding lets say something that can render this game 1080p30 has a performance index of 1.0x.

Standard PS5
Performance mode: 1080p60 => performance index of 2.0x
Fidelity mode: 1800p30 => performance index of 1.67x
Average performance index 1.84x

PRO
1440p60 => performance index of 2.67x

This implies an average performance uplift of 45.1% (range of 59.9-33.5%)

This could mean that the PRO advantage is more when the game is GPU limited and lesser when CPU limited. Makes sense given the leaks.

Jesb

Will there be any change with the SSD at all? I haven’t seen this talked about. We looking at basically the same one?

Perrott

Said game could very well be Marvel's Spider-Man 2 in terms of how the performance ranges match pretty much perfectly.

Standard PlayStation 5:
  • Performance Mode – 1080p at 60FPS
  • Fidelity Mode – 1800p at 30FPS
PlayStation 5 Pro:
  • 1440p at 60FPS (PSSR used)

On PS5, the game's Performance Mode runs most of the time at 1080p (with DRS), 60fps and with limited RT; while the Fidelity Mode spends most of its time around 1728p (with DRS), 30fps and with more accurate RT effects in place.

Dunker99

Although I generally like the requirements of the PS5 graphics mode, I really hope there are at least a few developers who are courageous enough to stick to 30fps and go completely ape shit with the GPU/visuals.

I‘m the complete opposite. I wish some developers would be courageous enough to drop 30fps completely and have 60fps as the baseline for their ”quality/fidelity” mode from now on. Just make the best graphics possible at a rock solid 60fps (or more).

I mean, it has to happen at some point, surely? Or are we going to be playing on the PS9 in 20 years time with fidelity modes still at 30fps?

The visual clarify and fluidity achieved with higher framerates makes such a huge difference (especially on an OLED screen), I still don’t understand why it’s seemingly so far down the list of priorities for game developers and console manufacturers. I hope that starts to change. So much of the talk about the Pro is about better RT or higher resolution etc., which surely would make framerates even worse (unless I’m wrong - I’m far from being an expert on this stuff!)

I‘m the complete opposite. I wish some developers would be courageous enough to drop 30fps completely and have 60fps as the baseline for their ”quality/fidelity” mode from now on. Just make the best graphics possible at a rock solid 60fps (or more).

I mean, it has to happen at some point, surely? Or are we going to be playing on the PS9 in 20 years time with fidelity modes still at 30fps?

The visual clarify and fluidity achieved with higher framerates makes such a huge difference (especially on an OLED screen), I still don’t understand why it’s seemingly so far down the list of priorities for game developers and console manufacturers. I hope that starts to change. So much of the talk about the Pro is about better RT or higher resolution etc., which surely would make framerates even worse (unless I’m wrong - I’m far from being an expert on this stuff!)

This is especially important because of the displays we have today. 30 fps on an OLED screen is much worse than it was on a plasma/lcd/crt because of the incredibly fast response time of OLED 's sample-and-hold technology

Audiophile

Will there be any change with the SSD at all? I haven’t seen this talked about. We looking at basically the same one?
I think there's only a handful of games saturating even half the 5.5GB/s RAW bandwidth in a few specific areas. I expect using identical chips/parts to the base PS5 would make sense to keep costs low, there should be more than enough bandwidth headroom for the Pro and for both consoles in the second half of the gen. Fully optimised solutions towards the latter end of the gen will be able to completely replace all data in RAM in 1-2 seconds; possibly even faster than that with complex streaming solutions.

I expect with PS6 it'll make sense to just do a straight doubling from PCIe4 to PCIe5 to get 11-12GB/s RAW.

winjer

Gold Member

There has already been a change with one of the base PS5 revisions.
Sony went from a memory controller with 12 channels and slower flash, to a memory controller with 8 channels but with faster flash.
And because of using a more conventional memory controller, that means the PS5 went from 850GB to 1000Gb of storage capacity.
But maybe Sony can release a new version of the PS5 and Pro with 2TB.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Completely agree, unless Sony mandates it (never will unfortunately) Dev's will always offer a default Fidelity bells and whistles mode locked to 30fps, 60fps needs to be the minimum bar which would then force Devs to innovate and improve their engines, but it'll never happen as visuals will always be pushed at the expense of frame rates

IDWhite

One of the things Sony needs to address on Ps5 pro is the poor audio quality output from USB. They need to support USB audio class UAC2.

It cannot be that the console has a dedicated audio processor capable of processing high quality sound samples paired with and output that limits the quality.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Completely agree, unless Sony mandates it (never will unfortunately) Dev's will always offer a default Fidelity bells and whistles mode locked to 30fps, 60fps needs to be the minimum bar which would then force Devs to innovate and improve their engines, but it'll never happen as visuals will always be pushed at the expense of frame rates
The closest thing to mandating it that sony can do, is what they are doing. And that is making sure that all their first-party games, and usually games they are directly partnering with, has a 60fps mode. They can only hope that all other publishers follow suit and make sure the games they put out also has that "feature", yes, a 60fps mode is a feature on consoles lol. And for the most part, it has worked.

Unfortunately though, as long as 30fps is an acceptable mode in the console space, and it is... then devs will always be able to make an output mode that is/looks better than anything you can do on a 60fps mode. And I fear that will always be the case with consoles. even when the PS7 comes around.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Seems that the above scenario align in-line with quoted 45% performance uplift for raster quite nicely in mathematical terms:

For ease of understanding lets say something that can render this game 1080p30 has a performance index of 1.0x.

Standard PS5
Performance mode: 1080p60 => performance index of 2.0x
Fidelity mode: 1800p30 => performance index of 1.67x
Average performance index 1.84x

PRO
1440p60 => performance index of 2.67x

This implies an average performance uplift of 45.1% (range of 59.9-33.5%)

This could mean that the PRO advantage is more when the game is GPU limited and lesser when CPU limited. Makes sense given the leaks.

The math checks out. With TLOU Pt. 1 1080p 60 vs 1440p 60 benchmark we can see PS5 to PS5 Pro uplift is similar to 6700xt to 6800xt. So that 45% rendering uplift sounds much nicer when you realize it can equate to 77% boost to native pixel rasterization.

h3UqHNS.jpeg

The new PS5 Pro Graphics mode that Sony is pushing developers to adopt requires stable 60fps, RT effects, and utilization of PSSR to reach target resolution output.

yurinka

if its apples to apples, 5700xt when it launched was $399. PS5 at launch was $399.

men lie. women lie.
numbers dont lie

Music Video Throwing Money GIF
Yes, in this case the 7900 XTX is around $700-1000, and PS5 Pro won't cost that. And I assume that in case of PS5 Pro they'll release it losing less money per unit to avoid what happened with base PS5 that they had to increase its price post launch because of inflation and component cost increases.

yurinka

In terms of consoles moved, the PS5 is currently a bit behind the PS4 when launch aligned. It was set to surpass the PS4 sales curve this last holiday season, but fell just a bit short. I think that'll reverse as we get the PS5 Pro, GTA6 and the second half of SIEs lineup this gen. Add to that this gen likely going a year longer than last, and I think it's an easy prediction that the PS5 will sell more than the PS4 when all is said and done.
100% agree

yurinka

The best bet would have been a PS5 Refresh.

Ignoring all the rumors, think about generations as of late for a moment.

With the way technology features are progressing, a refresh may be more viable than a Pro model.

With ai upscaling and frame generation technology, bumping up specs to make a pro model like PS4 Pro and having a base model at the same time isn't viable right now with wafer cost.
hmssStK.png
vusswlL.png

Sony would stop producing the old PS5 chip and only produce the PS5 Refresh chip.

5nm would be a good choice.
NwFxt4Z.jpeg

This PS5 Refresh would have similar specs to the PS5.

Zen2
-8 Cores
-3.5 GHz (3.85 GHz High CPU Frequency Mode for Performance Mode - 10% increase)
-16MB cache - 2× increase

RDNA2/4 hybrid
-36 CUs
-2.23 GHz (2.45 GHz High GPU Frequency Mode for Fidelity Mode - 10% increase)
-Dual-issue
-RDNA4 RT/AI Accelerators

GDDR6
-16GB
-256-Bit Bus
-18Gbps
-576GB/s bandwidth

Dual-issue alone would double performance if Sony utilize it to its fullest.
36CUs × 4 SIMD32 × 32 × 2 × 2.45GHz = 22.57 TF.

Add AI upscaling and frame generation on top of that, you get a better upgrade than PS4 vs PS4 Pro.

Dev won't need to optimize for this PS5 Refresh, they only have to focus on the base model. The new features of the Refresh would work without dev input.
This sounds more realistic.

yurinka

This is what that 1GB was used for.
The nitty-gritty details of the PS4 Pro, according to system architect Mark Cerny / More power, at what cost?
An additional 1GB of convention DRAM was put in the Pro to help it switch applications, so software like Netflix will be stored on the DRAM when open but not in use.

Looking at the "stored on the DRAM when open but not in use" part. You really think this applies to the PS5 Pro with the way the SSD works?
Having very fast SSD, I think that open but unused apps like Netflix can stay on the SSD and there's no reason to keep them in the RAM when not being used.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Better visuals make marketing games easier. That's been the rule of thumb forever in gaming. So PS9 with fake 60fps (30fps with frame insertion) on cheap better than OLED micro-LED is probably the future.

At the end of the day OLED might have 1/3 of the Premium TV market currently, but thats's still niche and with the improvements in Premium Mini/Micro LED outstripping OLED and being cheaper, the overall market share of Premium and Non-premium TVs will almost certainly favour LED by PS9 by a bigger margin IMO.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Anyone see the DFdirect?
John isn't convinced it's being announced this year due to the lack of information them and developers, but Richard is more optimistic.
Alex doesn't give a shit.

Mr.Phoenix

Anyone see the DFdirect?
John isn't convinced it's being announced this year due to the lack of information them and developers, but Richard is more optimistic.
Alex doesn't give a shit.
And Richard also pointed out exactly what we have also said here... they wouldn't announce it until at best 2 months before its due for release. Same thing they did last time, the same thing they did with the PS5 revision.

Mobilemofo

I don’t think there’s any intention on the Pro’s part to compete with high-end PCs. If it’s like the PS4 Pro, it’s there to keep PlayStation customers in the ecosystem. Most people buy low to mid-range parts and in 2025, you’ll be able to build a low budget option that easily beats the PS5 which might sound enticing for some.

High-end is completely out of reach. Sony most definitely isn’t aiming to compete against the 5080s that the PS5 Pro will be up against soon. A 5060 though? Why not? Furthermore, the high-end market is tiny so no need to focus on it. If one is hellbent on building a high-end rig, no console will satisfy their needs.
No console should be competing with pc. Ever. Budget box gaming Vs build a pc is fuckin stupid. Obviously, it isn't gonna compete with the latest " everything but the kitchen sink" graphics card. That's not the point is it.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
No console should be competing with pc. Ever. Budget box gaming Vs build a pc is fuckin stupid. Obviously, it isn't gonna compete with the latest " everything but the kitchen sink" graphics card. That's not the point is it.

Well I remember people thinking 3060-3080 class GPU's would guarantee above console settings/performance throughout the entire generation...

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Well I remember people thinking 3060-3080 class GPU's would guarantee above console settings/performance throughout the entire generation...
The 3080 will be above the base PS5 99% of the time. Exceptions are VRAM constraints, obviously. The 3060 can deliver similar performance, but if you use DLSS like a normal person, then yeah, it'll be above pretty much every time.

I'd say those people weren't wrong.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The 3080 will be above the base PS5 99% of the time. Exceptions are VRAM constraints, obviously. The 3060 can deliver similar performance, but if you use DLSS like a normal person, then yeah, it'll be above pretty much every time.

I'd say those people weren't wrong.

We're only halfway into the generation and the Pro is right around the corner. My point being either the aforementioned PC players didn't believe the I/O performance of PS5, didn't think a midgen upgrade was coming this time around, didn't think the RT/ML capabilities of a midgen upgrade could compete/eclipse their hardware performance, or most likely a combination of all the above.

This VRAM "exception" has become the norm. It's time to factor memory with the same importance we afford to compute.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We're only halfway into the generation and the Pro is right around the corner. My point being either the aforementioned PC players didn't believe the I/O performance of PS5,
This entirely depends what you mean by "believe". Some were claiming the PS5's IO would make PCs obsolete and that you would need 64GB of RAM to keep up. This most certainly isn't true. There were also talks of a paradigm shift, which also didn't happen. You have to be more specific in what you mean by didn't believe. Based on the massive hype (admittedly by many delusional fanboys), I’d say the IO hasn’t delivered thus far.
didn't think a midgen upgrade was coming this time around,
I did. I also think a PS5 will remain a decent option for the remainder of the gen. Once again, not sure who those PC players are. Some did and some didn't. There was no general consensus.
didn't think the RT/ML capabilities of a midgen upgrade could compete/eclipse their hardware performance,
Once again, who and what hardware? The Pro isn't out yet, so what are we comparing here? You can't just make vague statements and claim victory.
This VRAM "exception" has become the norm. It's time to factor memory with the same importance we afford to compute.

It hasn't. 10GB at console settings is still enough most of the time. Exceeding that most definitely isn't the norm and the video shows that. If you run Very High/Ultra and 4K, sure, but the PS5 isn't running that most of the time, so that point is moot. Out of 12 games, three exceeded 10GB at 4K High and only one at 1440p.

Last edited:

Audiophile

The closest thing to mandating it that sony can do, is what they are doing. And that is making sure that all their first-party games, and usually games they are directly partnering with, has a 60fps mode. They can only hope that all other publishers follow suit and make sure the games they put out also has that "feature", yes, a 60fps mode is a feature on consoles lol. And for the most part, it has worked.

Unfortunately though, as long as 30fps is an acceptable mode in the console space, and it is... then devs will always be able to make an output mode that is/looks better than anything you can do on a 60fps mode. And I fear that will always be the case with consoles. even when the PS7 comes around.
I think for PS6 a good middleground would be to mandate a 40fps mode on all titles that don't have a 60fps mode. And then pair it with a user-toggleable system-wide frame gen feature built into the SDK from the start of the gen that takes you to 80-120fps.

The overall trend could be a base of 30fps & 40fps for less latency sensitive titles with the latter featuring optional 2-3x frame-gen to 80-120fps; and a base of 60fps for more latency sensitive titles with the same user-toggleable 2x frame-gen to 120fps (or higher if supported).

60fps mandates is too much, but 40fps is fair imo. Also, 120Hz & VRR displays will be much more common by ~2028 onwards. In addition, the frame-gen software and hardware capabilities will likely be much more performant and higher quality by then.

Maybe the Pro will support this tech

It'll be cool to have this feature for the Pro, but i think it's a must for the PS6. Game file sizes are starting to become a bottleneck at 150GB+ and even then they have shitty textures (see FF7 Rebirth).

I know Sony Santa Monica made use of neural texture upsampling on GOWR on the PS5 and they used the PS5's FP16 compute capability to achieve this. The Pro is sitting on a ton more machine learning power so hopefully developers will embrace this feature a little more.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I know Sony Santa Monica made use of neural texture upsampling on GOWR on the PS5 and they used the PS5's FP16 compute capability to achieve this. The Pro is sitting on a ton more machine learning power so hopefully developers will embrace this feature a little more.

Yeah I was wondering if these to technologies are similar?

Yeah I was wondering if these to technologies are similar?
That AMD link doesn't go into detail about how they achieved their resultant file sizes other than mentioning neural texture block compression. It's most likely what the name implies which is using machine learning and neural networks to upsample low resolution textures in real-time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom