• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Taking a break from the GPU, has anyone posited theories as to what this is about yet?

System Memory​

Standard PlayStation 5 – 448 GB/s (14 GT/s)
PlayStation 5 Pro – 576 GB/s (18GT/s) – A 28% increase over the standard console.

Also outlined is that the PlayStation 5 Pro’s system memory is more efficient than the standard console, so the bandwidth gain may increase by over 28%.

My new TV is ready for it:

ROQIYyu.jpeg

Mr.Phoenix

Taking a break from the GPU, has anyone posited theories as to what this is about yet?
Three things came to mind when I initially saw that (maybe I even mentioned them in this thread). So its either any combination of these or all of them.

1. PS5pro has more RAM available to devs for games. Less time spent streaming from SSD, I am sure some things would benefit from that.

2. PS5pro has more L0/L1/L2 cache. Naturally, this would allow for better utilization of both the compute units and the RAM.

3. The system clock (or more specifically the GPU clock) is more in line with the memory clock. Ideally, you would want the system clock and memory clock to be as close to each other as possible. Eg. the base PS5 had a GPU clock of about 2.2Ghz but a mem clock of around 1.8Ghz. Weirdly, that puts the RAM further away from the GPU, but the PS5pro would have a mem clock of at least 2.3Ghz, which would be more in line with the system clock.

PaintTinJr

More efficient - as in, not just more bandwidth and transparent to existing PS5 software - leads me to believe the latency of the memory controller has improved resulting in worst edge case performance being equal to PS5 and typically the memory controller latency when bottlenecked is a smaller bottleneck on the PS5 Pro than the PS5 leading to superior performance.

BlackTron

I want the original experience I had in the late 90’s Lol.

I was using s-video by 2001 and kicking myself for not using it earlier, even on my SNES on the same TV I was playing it on from the beginning (I just had no idea and used the bundled cables). I just felt like the Master Race because I had moved on from RF adapter after playing for years.

As a matter of fact I remember I didn't figure out composite cables until N64 came out because it didn't include RF. I almost had a kid-panic attack thinking I couldn't play. I finally figured out the maze of coded inputs behind the TV and realized it would have worked on SNES the whole time.

Three things came to mind when I initially saw that (maybe I even mentioned them in this thread). So its either any combination of these or all of them.

3. The system clock (or more specifically the GPU clock) is more in line with the memory clock. Ideally, you would want the system clock and memory clock to be as close to each other as possible. Eg. the base PS5 had a GPU clock of about 2.2Ghz but a mem clock of around 1.8Ghz. Weirdly, that puts the RAM further away from the GPU, but the PS5pro would have a mem clock of at least 2.3Ghz, which would be more in line with the system clock.
Now this is a very possible explanation. I remember Cerny talking about this for PS5 implying the difference of clocks between GPU and RAM was not ideal. Compared to PS5 the increase in real bandwidth would be higher than 28% just thanks to this.

Last edited:

Audiophile

I doubt it'd happen but one thing I'd love to see devs spend the extra juice and bandwidth on is higher precision DoF and transparency effects. The ghosted look that you get around characters is one of the ugliest parts of an image now. If you watch the Death Stranding 2 trailer it's pretty much flawless except for the glaring transition between characters and the background (skin and hair especially). Like a constant hard-edged bloom that sits around everyone in any sort of close up.

E6FZM2x.jpeg

Then in gameplay and paired with the flaws of temporal upscaling; particles and any high frequency / fast moving stuff ends up suffering the same fate (Black Myth Wukong and many eastern-developed games are a prime example of this).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Maybe they are thinking of delaying it to see how pricing goes, and also to have some games ready to release alongside it next year?

After the rumours of 5080 & 5090 delays I thought they might have a holiday period to themselves.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Do you think it could get a specs bump then?
Almost no chance. Only thing I could see is a change to the clocks.
Was holding off on building a PC this year since the money would have gone towards the Pro. Time to get my hands on a 4090!
Doesn’t seem like such a good idea when the 5090 presumably isn’t that far off. Unless you’re gaming on a toaster, in which case, knock yourself out.

Last edited:
Doesn’t seem like such a good idea when the 5090 presumably isn’t that far off. Unless you’re gaming on a toaster, in which case, knock yourself out.

Not sure how much the retail on the 5090 is going to be, maybe 2000? 4090 seems like a good option and will easily future proof the build for the next 5 or 6 years.

Perrott

It's not getting delayed.

Outside of the information that is given to him by sources, Tom Henderson is a pretty mediocre to outright bad observer of the industry, hence why he's fallen into the uneducated thought process of "the abscense of new leaks over the past three to four months must mean that its getting delayed".

Outside of the information that is given to him by sources, Tom Henderson is a pretty mediocre to outright bad observer of the industry, hence why he's fallen into the uneducated thought process of "the abscense of new leaks over the past three to four months must mean that its getting delayed".
There is no one better at PS hardware than Tom and Tom has heard something and trying to get a second confirmation on it but no one knows what that is yet

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

This doesn’t make sense. Tom Henderson says, "if it releases this year" then you attack his credibility as if he said the Pro is getting delayed when he didn’t even say that in the tweet. How can something get delayed when it hasn’t even been announced?

Perrott

This doesn’t make sense. Tom Henderson says, "if it releases this year" then you attack his credibility as if he said the Pro is getting delayed when he didn’t even say that in the tweet. How can something get delayed when it hasn’t even been announced?
Tom Henderson has previously stated in his reports that the Pro was planned for a November 2024 release. If it not releases this year, then that means its been delayed, regardless of whether the console itself has been officially announced or not. For instance, the Switch "2" was delayed out of 2024 earlier this year, when multiple reports by credible websites spoke of how Nintendo couldn't make its 2024 target.

And I'm not attacking his credibility, I've already said that his sources are good, but the scepticism he's expressing in that tweet is not based on any inside information, but rather on his poor analysis of the situation based on his nervousness about how scarce Pro leaks have been since March. If any of his scepticism was cemented on information from his sources, I guarantee you that he would've made several articles about it already.
There is no one better at PS hardware than Tom and Tom has heard something and trying to get a second confirmation on it but no one knows what that is yet
Tom's sources are what's good, and you hear about what they have to say in his articles. What I'm saying is that outside of those reports based on inside information, Tom Henderson isn't capable of any insightful analysis of the industry.

I just double down and insist in that it'd be beyond shocking to learn that the Pro has been pushed to 2025. It's launch isn't hanging on any particularly huge game (Sony's next major release, DS2, won't be out before April 2025), yet the exclusive software that would accompany it's debut would feel worthless if the new hardware wasn't out yet.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

i dunno, do they NEED to release a pro variant this year?

1. They need to figure out how to price-cut the base console in the first place.
2. Xbox Series is dead/PC hardware prices are shit (no need to compete right now)
3. Xbox hardware for 2026 (close the gap if released next year)
4. Chips price increase/shortages/A.I. allocation.
5. First-party production pipeline/release cadence.

I'm just saying that Sony has the luxury to plan things in a position of power and dominance.

King Dazzar

I remember getting these kind of is it or isnt it bites right up to the Slim PS5 being officially announced. But Henderson's tweet isn't exactly reassuring.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No one knows but sony. Let's see what happens over tge next couple of months.

I had heard a rumour that due to the drop in hardware sales that there is quite a lot of inventory of console stuffing up the channels.

Maybe sony wants to clear through as much of that before they announce something? Who knows.

Bernardougf

Going to really suck if it isn't released this year
Released with what games bro .. astrobot?
If they delay it, it must be because of the first party empty desert...again.. they have fucking nothing to show for this year and who knows when they will be able to launch something to really justify the ps5pro....

The problem is .. launching in 2025 start to feel real close to next gen. But maybe their plans is to launch a really good pro (doubt) and prolong this shitty gen (I can see this)

Who knows.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Released with what games bro .. astrobot?
If they delay it, it must be because of first party empty desert...again.. they have fucking nothing to show for this year and who knows when they will be able to launch something to really to justify the ps5pro....

The problem is .. launching in 2025 start to feel real close to next gen. But maybe their plans is to launch a really good pro (doubt) and prolong this shitty gen.

Who knows.

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but I'd would still play third party games on it for trophy hunting and such. My problem is I bought into the rumors and so I sold my PS5. Would have waited if I thought it wasn't going to happen this year.

But yeah, I was planning on buying Astro Bot day one but that's probably not going to happen either way since Astro is coming in September.

Bernardougf

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but I'd would still play third party games on it for trophy hunting and such. My problem is I bought into the rumors and so I sold my PS5. Would have waited if I thought it wasn't going to happen this year.

But yeah, I was planning on buying Astro Bot day one but that's probably not going to happen either way since Astro is coming in September.
Oh I have and will buy one too because mine ps5 is promised to my son ... so faster is better and november is my birthday and I can give myself that...

Im talking more in a broad "sales to the mainstream" sense

Top Bottom