• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quarantine Mafia |OT| The Contagion is spreading.

Natiko

Banned
In Kark's mind he somehow has it set in stone that should the game continue past today fran and fat will in no way be examined closely. Let's approach it from a different perspective. Hey Kark - do you think some sort of curing mechanic for level 1 infected exists?

Karkador

Banned
In Kark's mind he somehow has it set in stone that should the game continue past today fran and fat will in no way be examined closely.

It's pretty obvious that they will use the "I still have a shot left" excuse to continue to survive, and Fat4all already claimed that he can't get infected again, so he's safe.

I'm not saying they wont be questioned, I'm saying that it's pretty clear to me that they're trying to set themselves up to survive that scrutiny, if only by a thread. Everything about their claim lines up too neatly and was performed as if rehearsed.

Let's approach it from a different perspective. Hey Kark - do you think some sort of curing mechanic for level 1 infected exists?

It's very hard to tell with the way the flavor is written, because it is very vague about what "Level 1" or "Level 2" actually are. The only thing we've SEEN is that the Araxometer went up by 1, and we aren't even 100% sure why.

The rest of our 'info' about the disease is stuff people have speculated or made up. Conveniently, fran and fat lined their claim up perfectly with the speculated and made-up stuff. IMO, until they're verified, there's no point in clinging to speculation. When I'm flipped, the amazing coincidences of their claims will look suspicious.

To answer your question, my intuition tells me that a Cure, if it exists, would simply work to remove "Infected" from the game, regardless of level. In other words, a Cure could simply be renamed Bullet.

That could be why the flavor says this:

When the reading has returned to 0 it means, the outbreak has been contained. A reading of 5 is very bad, we don't have the means to combat an outbreak of that level. If the Aroxometer reading creeps all they way up to 10 then the quarantine has failed.

Four "bullets" in the game.

I can't really see this game making you find scum AND try to cure them in one specific window. A cure being essentially a vigilante kill also reconciles the problem of "what happens when a scum team rejoins Town?", and the general awkwardness of your win condition shifting back and forth without your control.

Sawneeks

Banned
You know what, kinda want to try something new here and actually second the request to Turbo.

Yeah, yeah, Gafia Meta means no Turbo. Whatever.

We're clearly not going to get anywhere over the next 30+ hours and I'd really rather not just up the page count filled with various 'well if Kark flips X I'd look at Y' when we could very easily save that until after Kark actually flips. We could spend the next few pages discussing hypothetical flips when we could just get the answer to Kark's role immediately and then respond from there. :x

you may now commence scum reading me btw

Sawneeks

Banned
Also since we are discussing History:

Pretty good! Being on lock down kinda sucks ( it's probably cabot's fault ), I was planning to play board games tonight. ;__;

I breadcrumbed mine early but the person mentioned in mine never actually responded which was rather unfortunate. Guess our date night is off the table then? :c

Joking aside, mine doesn't mention any roles or role titles and only ever mentions a Player by name. Paraphrasing it, it reads that I was invited to Zippedpinhead's house for a 'gaming night' with him and his friends but now with the quarantine in effect that's off the table.

I'm only mentioning him by name because I do want to see him contribute more and this may get his attention at least. So far the only thing I can remember of note is that he enjoyed Kark's gambit and was always in support of the idea.

So Zipped, what are your thoughts on the game? What game were we going to play and why was it Catan? Thoughts on Kark? What about Burb/Acohrs/CCS?

Natiko

Banned
For the record Kark, if that tiny chance that you're town and they're both scum were to pan out I don't think their gambit would work out any better for them than yours has for you.

You know what, kinda want to try something new here and actually second the request to Turbo.

Yeah, yeah, Gafia Meta means no Turbo. Whatever.

We're clearly not going to get anywhere over the next 30+ hours and I'd really rather not just up the page count filled with various 'well if Kark flips X I'd look at Y' when we could very easily save that until after Kark actually flips. We could spend the next few pages discussing hypothetical flips when we could just get the answer to Kark's role immediately and then respond from there. :x

you may now commence scum reading me btw

I'm fine with a turbo as well since I think there's a greater than zero chance it could just end the game. We're kind of just dragging things out at this point.

Natiko

Banned
I'll be honest - I'm on mobile and was being lazy since putting in the multiquotes is annoying. Here we go.

It's pretty obvious that they will use the "I still have a shot left" excuse to continue to survive, and Fat4all already claimed that he can't get infected again, so he's safe.

I'm not saying they wont be questioned, I'm saying that it's pretty clear to me that they're trying to set themselves up to survive that scrutiny, if only by a thread. Everything about their claim lines up too neatly and was performed as if rehearsed.
Fran has already committed to using his shot D3 I believe as he knows he's a preemo target for scum currently. Between that and addressing already that fat is in fact not immune means if this is a gambit they've secured a very short timeframe for it. Again, given they didn't have any suspicion on them I think in the even that they're scum they would have left it alone until a later day.

It's very hard to tell with the way the flavor is written, because it is very vague about what "Level 1" or "Level 2" actually are. The only thing we've SEEN is that the Araxometer went up by 1, and we aren't even 100% sure why.

The rest of our 'info' about the disease is stuff people have speculated or made up. Conveniently, fran and fat lined their claim up perfectly with the speculated and made-up stuff. IMO, until they're verified, there's no point in clinging to speculation. When I'm flipped, the amazing coincidences of their claims will look suspicious.
Well if you're town and they're both scum, when the day ends and the meter doesn't change we will know they're full of shit and they'll be fucked. They can't even use the "Well the meter doesn't count level 1's" as an excuse because the following day phase meter update would have to then stay exactly the same since fat would be the infected leveling up at that point. There's just no way for this lie to play out with the meter not exposing them. Again, if it's a gambit they done goofed.

To answer your question, my intuition tells me that a Cure, if it exists, would simply work to remove "Infected" from the game, regardless of level. In other words, a Cure could simply be renamed Bullet.
I think this doesn't make a ton of sense primarily due to the chances that the scum team would grow at a very quick rate if they weren't impeded. By implementing a cure it works to not only remove a scum but also return a townie. That's one way this game could be balanced to try and counteract the exponential growth of scum.

That could be why the flavor says this:

Four "bullets" in the game.

I can't really see this game making you find scum AND try to cure them in one specific window. A cure being essentially a vigilante kill also reconciles the problem of "what happens when a scum team rejoins Town?", and the general awkwardness of your win condition shifting back and forth without your control.
I think the only town tool being an additional kill when we already have lynches doesn't make a ton of sense. Especially if the scum team does recruit. If the scum team is recruiting and our only way to fight back is through a vigilante that can fire and hit town anyways then that sounds very poorly balanced.

My thoughts on fran and fat are that if they're scum then they're doomed to be caught. Not later either - they'll be found out D3. The meter will contradict their numbers if they've been lying. D3 they would have to tell another scum member to claim infected while they "heal" them. None of this even addresses the possibility of an actual town healing role coming forward to directly or indirectly confront their claim or if we have an investigative or watching/tracking role they might check one of them out and see what happens. There's so many ways that they would be caught on D3. Their claim will have only served to bury them. They would've had a better chance by saying nothing as they weren't really a focus today prior to that.

Sawneeks

Banned
That may not have been a cure

You realize that doesn't work, right?

If it's not a cure then the Araxometer doesn't go down and if that's the case we lynch Fran.

If Fran flips Scum and it's clear the Inject command infected another person with Araxia then we just lynch whoever he used the command on ( aka Fat ).

So Fat/Fran would have claimed and used a mod-verified command that would get them both lynched if things didn't line up.

That makes 0 sense as a Scum gambit on Day 2. If it was Day 5 that would be a different story but there is plenty of time for their claim to backfire if it was a lie.

Ourobolus

Banned

If it's not a cure then the Araxometer doesn't go down and if that's the case we lynch Fran.

If Fran flips Scum and it's clear the Inject command infected another person with Araxia then we just lynch whoever he used the command on ( aka Fat ).

So Fat/Fran would have claimed and used a mod-verified command that would get them both lynched if things didn't line up.

That makes 0 sense as a Scum gambit on Day 2. If it was Day 5 that would be a different story but there is plenty of time for their claim to backfire if it was a lie.

Correct. It's fine to be skeptical, but we have a way of verifying it at the end of the day. This whole line of questioning is just taking away from other discussions.

Karkador

Banned

Right now, we don't know if that's exactly how the meter works. I know I'm being pedantic about this, but what raises red flags about their claim (either fran, fat, or both) is that they are trying to make misinformation accepted as true in order to push my lynch.

It's both unnecessary to push my lynch, and bizarre that they held all this contempt for my claim on D1, and are now pushing it as truth on D2 to 'prove' that I'm scum.

The less likely explanation is that all the D1 speculation about the mechanics, including mine, hit right on the mark, and Town is yelling at Town.

That's why I told fran "you wouldn't be making this bet unless you were confident you could win it".

We just don't know enough about how the infection and the mafia team works, but IMO that doesn't mean I can accept the leaps in logic they're trying to get us to swallow.

As a counterpoint, they claimed to be Masons, and Fran said he told Fat4all about his supposed power to cure. Despite that, their Day 1 activity often makes no sense in light of that claim.

Here are Masons apparently not on the same page, disagreeing on whether they trust my D1 claim:

Kark I believe your claim, but you don't need to be, and shouldn't be, Director.

This is something I can't believe. If all the infected are recruiters the game ends by night 4 and it would be really broken. I think you are lying but still don't know what you gain with that. Why the bold claim.

Here it is again, now disagreeing about protecting or outing a Doctor; fran doesn't even seem sure there is a Doctor, despite ...being a Doctor?

How can they sway off suspicion? We all know that he will the Director so he will be suspected since the start of day 2. A Doctor could protect him but we would never know if the doctor doesn't claim and that would be a bad idea.

Maybe someone can cure with limited uses, that would make sense since it seems like the infected start with low numbers (supposedly).

And there's one more - and I'll break it off to a new post so nobody skips it.

Karkador

Banned
First, let's revisit the Mason claim:

In case someone didn't notice Fat4all and I are masons. I'm a head research and he is my assistant. We have a secret chat were we can talk. But if any of us get infected he has to leave the chat. He didn't responded there but keep posting here so something was wrong.

Fran clearly establishes that they had a pretty clear contigency plan: if Fat4all gets infected, it becomes obvious and fran can act to cure. He must trust Fat4all, since they're Masons and he has he insurance that he will know if Fat4all turns.

So then, if we take that relationship as true, consider this following post:

Also, let's be real. The one who gets elected day one will be most likely lynched day two, day 3 tops.

The one who is elected Director will be the main target of the infected and we will have doubts if he is town or scum while he is alive. We will kill him quick to avoid giving scum so much power. I think it's like the neighbours situation in the Animal Crossing game but even worse.

This suggestion is complete bullshit if your claim is true. This is easily the scummiest contradiction of your entire show. It makes no sense whatsoever.

You knowingly claim two problems that you should know you can easily solve.

1) You can cure an Infected Director.

2) You know Fat4all would be great for Director, because of your Mason relationship. You know he becomes Infected, so you can protect him and the rest of Town.

Despite that, Fat4all doesn't even volunteer for Director - doesn't even try to get a single vote - and fran certainly doesn't vote for him to get it. Fat4all's wasn't even facing harsh competition for the role; two people barely even wanting it, and a claimed scum.

It would have been a powerful way to keep Director on Town's side and know if/when Director gets infected. You wouldn't even have to reveal the Mason relationship for it. It's a move that should have been obvious.

You guys also knew that it would look bad if Scum went for the role, right?:

This seems like the sort of power that any scum would gladly want to have. but wouldn't go out of their way to try and get.

You two avoided the power like it was certain death

well, then I doubt there's a way to cure during the day.

In fact, being Director would make you much less safe compared to a non-claimed scum.

Fran asserts that Director needs to go ASAP, because we can't know if they get Infected, because they'd be a bigger target for Infected.... except they were sitting right on the obvious solutions to those problems.

I am calling bullshit right here and now.

Fran and Fat4all are lying.

Banned
So Fran and Fat4all are scum because they didn't try for director? You say one of Fran's posts are a big contradiction because he can cure others but it's not like he knows who becomes infected. They disagree with each so they're scum? I'm sorry but what? They're two different players and just because they're masons doesn't mean they would be on the same page all the time. Your argument is not convincing in the slightest, Kark.

franconp

Here are Masons apparently not on the same page, disagreeing on whether they trust my D1 claim:

We talked about this in the secret chat. We wanted to don't make it too obvious that we were masons. So we decided to take opposite instances in the main subject in the game so far. It's not so weird.

Here it is again, now disagreeing about protecting or outing a Doctor; fran doesn't even seem sure there is a Doctor, despite ...being a Doctor?

You wanted me to claim as a Doctor day 1? I wasn't going to. Regarding Fat4all I already posted all the times he gave clues about the role and said that I told him several times to shut up in the secret chat. He can confirm that.

Karkador

Banned
Oh right, tl;dr;

• Mason claim doesn't hold up because Fat4all would have made the perfect Director partner to Fran's pseudo Cop, pseudo Doctor role; instead they avoided the role completely
  • Fran and Fat4all contradict each other on Day 1, despite being Masons. Looks more like scum staying out of each other's vicinity.
  • Fran pushes to get rid of Director on Day 1, despite having the tools to help them. That's just plain scummy.

VOTE: franconp

franconp

First, let's revisit the Mason claim:

Fran clearly establishes that they had a pretty clear contigency plan: if Fat4all gets infected, it becomes obvious and fran can act to cure. He must trust Fat4all, since they're Masons and he has he insurance that he will know if Fat4all turns.

So then, if we take that relationship as true, consider this following post:

This suggestion is complete bullshit if your claim is true. This is easily the scummiest contradiction of your entire show. It makes no sense whatsoever.

You knowingly claim two problems that you should know you can easily solve.

1) You can cure an Infected Director.

2) You know Fat4all would be great for Director, because of your Mason relationship. You know he becomes Infected, so you can protect him and the rest of Town.

Despite that, Fat4all doesn't even volunteer for Director - doesn't even try to get a single vote - and fran certainly doesn't vote for him to get it. Fat4all's wasn't even facing harsh competition for the role; two people barely even wanting it, and a claimed scum.

It would have been a powerful way to keep Director on Town's side and know if/when Director gets infected. You wouldn't even have to reveal the Mason relationship for it. It's a move that should have been obvious.

You guys also knew that it would look bad if Scum went for the role, right?:

You two avoided the power like it was certain death

Fran asserts that Director needs to go ASAP, because we can't know if they get Infected, because they'd be a bigger target for Infected.... except they were sitting right on the obvious solutions to those problems.

I am calling bullshit right here and now.

Fran and Fat4all are lying.

About this I don't want to talk much but you are only working with partial info. Let's say that Fat4all isn't just a mason and it could be almost as bad as me if he were the Director. Giving more info would only help scum.

Karkador

Banned
So Fran and Fat4all are scum because they didn't try for director? You say one of Fran's posts are a big contradiction because he can cure others but it's not like he knows who becomes infected.

He does know if Fat4all becomes Infected. So why was there no effort at all to make Fat4all Director?

They disagree with each so they're scum? I'm sorry but what? They're two different players and just because they're masons doesn't mean they would be on the same page all the time.

The stuff they're contradicting on doesn't make sense to contradict on. It was ridiculous to believe my claim. They are disagreeing with each other on something just to disagree.

All it would have taken was for Fat4all to ask Fran "hey, do you believe this claim by Kark?", and Fran would say "lol no", and then Fat would instantly recognize "Yeah...how stupid of me to ever think it was true".

Karkador

Banned
There is absolutely no debate to be had about whether my claim was true, which is what makes them avoiding each other on that claim so silly and telling.

CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

Karkador (9)
Sawneeks (Director) #1085
Natiko #1286
exmachina64 #1380
CCS #1391
Faddy #1405
Verelios #1410
11037 #1471

acohrs (2)
melonrabbit #1326
Swamped #1408

franconp (1)
Karkador #1470

Burbeting (1)
Ourobolus #1341

No active vote for Day 2: acohrs, Burbeting, Fat4all, franconp, Kalor, Kawl_USC, Lone_Prodigy, TheExodu5, Zippedpinhead

Day 2 ends:
tur_1485813600.png

Automated vote tally here

Fat4all

Banned
Here are Masons apparently not on the same page.

Kark, why in the hell would unclaimed masons on day one try to mimic each other's opinions? I often avoided getting involved in the same conversations fran was involved in because we both agreed that we would only out our claim if we had to.

Turns out we had to today.

Karkador

Banned
Kark, why in the hell would unclaimed masons on day one try to mimic each other's opinions? I often avoided getting involved in the same conversations fran was involved in because we both agreed that we would only out our claim if we had to.

Turns out we had to today.

You really feared that agreeing with everybody but Ourobolus for 50 minutes was going to out you as a Mason?

Banned
He does know if Fat4all becomes Infected. So why was there no effort at all to make Fat4all Director?

The stuff they're contradicting on doesn't make sense to contradict on. It was ridiculous to believe my claim. They are disagreeing with each other on something just to disagree.

All it would have taken was for Fat4all to ask Fran "hey, do you believe this claim by Kark?", and Fran would say "lol no", and then Fat would instantly recognize "Yeah...how stupid of me to ever think it was true".
Maybe neither wanted the role of director? They released the role was more trouble than it was worth and maybe Fran thought he could love longer if he wasn't director.

franconp

The turbo is so close.

BTW, why aren't either of you voting for me?

Why the rush? There's some people I would like to hear more from. Kawl hasn't posted almost nothing today. Acohrs posted a lot day one but not so much day 2. Burb is really playing weird.

Unless everyone is ok with a rush I don't see the point.

Karkador

Banned
What do you mean what's the rush? I'm scum, remember? What are you waiting for? You want to be known as the guy who hesitated to lynch scum?

Karkador

Banned
Maybe you want more time to explain how your mason claim makes sense? Now you've left us hanging with this double-down statement to protect yourself

Karkador

Banned
I also welcome anybody else to VOTE to turbo, this is not all up to fran, but it really.....REALLY did seem like he wanted to push this button

acohrs

yeah I'm getting bored with Kark now, don't know if this will turbo or not but add my name to the list of people that just want this game to progress past Kark's impressive hole-digging skills

Vote: Karkador

Fat4all

Banned
Wait, Kark... before you pull that trigger...

Kark, why'd it have to be this way...

So much hate, so much aggression, can't we all just get along?

Let's vote out Burb instead. Bears are way more gross than cats anyways.

We could be...

harry63.jpg

... like a family again...

Top Bottom