• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage PC perfomance thread

Pimpbaa

I was messing around with the r_swapInterval 1 in the console trying to fix the tearing, and it stays at 0 no matter what I do. The default is suppsed to be -1 which is what I assume it was when the game was working fine for me. Somehow it changed to 0 and is stuck at that. Where does the game keep the settings?

scitek

So, uh, the game just fucking crashes for me now. Sometimes I make it to the menu, sometimes not. What a piece...

scitek said:
So, uh, the game just fucking crashes for me now. Sometimes I make it to the menu, sometimes not. What a piece...
That happens for me whenever I try to create a RadeonPro profile now. Not sure exactly whats doing it, so I'm just running vanilla with some CCC values and angular's config.

angular graphics said:
And to add to that, Carmack believed this would be the sweet spot 2 years ago: http://www.next-gen.biz/features/rage-under-hood?page=2

4 x 8.5=34GB

It's very unfortunate he had to compromise with 3 DVDs, and the third being multiplayer, so essentially just 2 DVDs for the SP... :( And with the gamedata and sounds taking up some space, that's less than half of what the "sweet spot" he was talking about was! :O

Come on id/Bethesda DO IT >_> 30 gigs is manageable!

I was told the whole world was on all dvd but kinda like mass effect the cutscenes and stuff and quest are seperated.

scitek

NullPointer said:
That happens for me whenever I try to create a RadeonPro profile now. Not sure exactly whats doing it, so I'm just running vanilla with some CCC values and angular's config.

Yeah, I shut down RadeonPro, MSI Afterburner, everything that could interfere, and I'm not even running CCC, and it still does it.

Victrix

*beard*
Anyone found a fix for lockups on zone loads, ATI?

After digging through three forum threads and two support forums I managed to get my shit running lightning fast with minimal weirdness, but I'm still getting random lockups when I change zones, really frustrating.

garath

scitek said:
Yeah, I shut down RadeonPro, MSI Afterburner, everything that could interfere, and I'm not even running CCC, and it still does it.

Anything in your rageconfig.cfg? Latest AMD drivers?

TheDude108

Anyone with Nvidia cards tried it without using CUDA?

Seems to be an ATi problem here. Everyone reporting good performance is generally using nvidia cards. People with GTX 460's are getting better performance than those with 6950's and 6970's?

Pimpbaa

TheDude108 said:
People with GTX 460's are getting better performance than those with 6950's and 6970's?

It was running perfectly on my 460 for 2 days until the v-sync decided to stop working and refused to turn on again.

scitek

garath said:
Anything in your rageconfig.cfg? Latest AMD drivers?

Here's everything I think we might need to know about my setup...

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 2.8GHz OC"d to 3.5GHz
2GB Radeon 6950 w/unlocked shaders OC'd to 6970 speeds
4GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
RAGE Performance driver from AMD

Rageconfig.cfg:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192
vt_restart

Launch options:
+vt_maxPPF 16 +com_SkipIntroVideo 1

What's hilarious is this is a review copy I got and I'm supposed to give an opinion on the fucking game for our site.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Totobeni said:
Wooha,I can't believe the PC version have so many problems, it's id Software and all that jazz,i'm glad i waited.
Open GL is pretty much guaranteed to cause issues with AMD cards.

garath

scitek said:
Here's everything I think we might need to know about my setup...

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 2.8GHz OC"d to 3.5GHz
2GB Radeon 6950 w/unlocked shaders OC'd to 6970 speeds
4GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
RAGE Performance driver from AMD

Rageconfig.cfg:

vt_restart

Launch options:
+vt_maxPPF 16 +com_SkipIntroVideo 1

What's hilarious is this is a review copy I got and I'm supposed to give an opinion on the fucking game for our site.

I'd try to either remove the pageimagesize cvars or vt_maxPPF. Try it with one or the other.

angular graphics said:

woot :) congrats!

Pimpbaa

Oh you got to be kidding me! It's nvidia's fault! Their stupid auto update downloaded a profile for Rage and forces v-sync OFF! IDIOTS!

edit: Yup, it's all working fine now. I want to savagely beat the person who decided to force the v-sync off. If anyone else is having this problem, just look for the Rage profile in the nvidia control panel and put v-sync back to "Use the 3D application setting".

garath

Pimpbaa said:
Oh you got to be kidding me! It's nvidia's fault! Their stupid auto update downloaded a profile for Rage and forces v-sync OFF! IDIOTS!

Ouch lol. One of the many reasons I do NOT install Nvidia's auto updater. I prefer to be in control of my own drivers.

scitek

garath said:
I'd try to either remove the pageimagesize cvars or vt_maxPPF. Try it with one or the other.

Going with just the vt_maxPPF, I have awful pop-in, but my framerate is a stable 60 according to FRAPS, though it looks choppy as shit.

Going with the pageimagesize cvars nets me very little, if any, pop-in, but my framerate dips when I move a few steps, like the streaming problem with Unreal Engine 3.

Regardless of both settings, vsync doesn't work without RadeonPro, so it's tearing all over the place.

Smokey

angular graphics said:

Sweet, congrats. Also

If you have 3GB of Video RAM, you can modify the configuration file’s first four lines to end with 16384, instead of 8192, which will enable Rage’s 16K textures, though as we don’t have a suitably-equipped GPU to hand we cannot offer any guarantees as to the game’s stability or visual fidelity when using this modification. Update: We have now tested the 16384 configuration on a 3GB GeForce GTX 580 and can detect no improvements in any of our tests over the use of 8192.

Looks like I'm gonna go down to 8192, if there's no difference from 1600.

Smokey said:
Sweet, congrats. Also

If you have 3GB of Video RAM, you can modify the configuration file’s first four lines to end with 16384, instead of 8192, which will enable Rage’s 16K textures, though as we don’t have a suitably-equipped GPU to hand we cannot offer any guarantees as to the game’s stability or visual fidelity when using this modification. Update: We have now tested the 16384 configuration on a 3GB GeForce GTX 580 and can detect no improvements in any of our tests over the use of 8192.

You know what would be awesome? A little help from id here. I have a hunch they have some inside knowledge that could shed some light on things.

Its like we're all trying to reverse engineer some alien monolith.

Somebody get Carmack to write a plan file or readme.txt or something. Twitter us the cvars John!

Peterthumpa

angular graphics said:
Dat_ass.jpg

DAT KNOWLEDGE

Wallach

That vt_maxPFF 16 thing is the business on my end (i5-750 OC). There were a couple spots I could make it drop to like 55 FPS because so many textures had to be swapped (like turning away and back to look at the area you start from by the sewer entrance) but this eliminated it.

scitek

It's working pretty well for me now. I deleted the profile in RadeonPro and am using CCC instead to force vsync and triple buffering, and the tearing is gone and framerate is solid at 60. Texture pop-in is eliminated altogether with the 16k cfg that was posted, with 8k I notice some pop-in, but it's not intolerable. The only remaining issue I have is a very annoying stuttering every few seconds where the game freezes for a brief second. I'll try the 8k config and see if that fixes that.

I'd still like to be able to create a profile in RadeonPro for this game, though. I hate CCC and want to close it if at all possible.

Yep, throwing maxPPF into my launch options was the last thing i needed to really make pop in go fuck itself. I used wellspring as a test bed because before i would walk all over the town and pop in would rear it's ugly head as i turned a corner but now even walking around the corner is a pleasant thing now :).

forrest

formerly nacire
Smokey said:
Sweet, congrats. Also

I think people are mistaken thinking increasing this number is going to load higher resolution textures. I'm pretty sure all this parameter is doing is increasing the streaming size of the texture chunks. Just my take, but I'm running the 8192 setting which completely killed any texture pop in and I have yet to see one screen shot where the textures actually look higher resolution than the default setting.

Wallach

So setting vt_maxPPF to 32 had a similar effect. Anyone know what the default value for this is?

I will say this setting seems to increase the noticeable redraw of the highest resolution of textures. That may be a side effect of increasing the pageimagesize cvars though, I'm not sure. It's not that noticeable to me though since that effect is quite a bit more subtle.

scitek said:
It's working pretty well for me now. I deleted the profile in RadeonPro and am using CCC instead to force vsync and triple buffering, and the tearing is gone and framerate is solid at 60. Texture pop-in is eliminated altogether with the 16k cfg that was posted, with 8k I notice some pop-in, but it's not intolerable. The only remaining issue I have is a very annoying stuttering every few seconds where the game freezes for a brief second. I'll try the 8k config and see if that fixes that.

I'd still like to be able to create a profile in RadeonPro for this game, though. I hate CCC and want to close it if at all possible.
You're pretty much where I am now. I get those little pauses and some flicker with characters in wellspring. Will try some of the newer tweaks tonight and see if I can get wellspring to run smooth and proper.

forrest

formerly nacire
Wallach said:
So setting vt_maxPPF to 32 had a similar effect. Anyone know what the default value for this is?

I will say this setting seems to increase the noticeable redraw of the highest resolution of textures. That may be a side effect of increasing the pageimagesize cvars though, I'm not sure. It's not that noticeable to me though since that effect is quite a bit more subtle.

My guess is 4.

So, if we are able to run all these tweaks that for the most part have not come from id or Bethesda but from gamers themselves why the hell didn't id think of doing this shit before?

I get the feeling that PC was just basically an afterthought of an afterthought.

forrest

formerly nacire
NullPointer said:
You're pretty much where I am now. I get those little pauses and some flicker with characters in wellspring. Will try some of the newer tweaks tonight and see if I can get wellspring to run smooth and proper.

Yeah this is the only real issue I have remaining as well. Comes and goes on various npc's though there is a particular mission, where it's pretty rough. I really think we are going to have to wait for an update on the driver side to remedy it though.

JRW

Does anyone know if Rage supports 5.1? I'm not hearing any audio through my center speaker during dialog etc. and rear audio is muffled, using Logitech Z5500 / X-Fi soundcard.

scitek

JRW said:
Does anyone know if Rage supports 5.1? I'm not hearing any audio through my center speaker during dialog etc. and rear audio is muffled, using Logitech Z5500 / X-Fi soundcard.

It does, at least over HDMI.

EDIT: I dunno if it's proper 5.1 then. I'm hearing sounds out of all 5 speakers, but God knows if there's not something wrong with it.

well, with the ID sanctioned tweak, and the angular sanctioned tweak, i'm now locked at sixty seemingly whatever i do. thanks guys.

it's a shame the auto setting doesn't work right at this time, but to get the game running perfectly the day after i installed it... works for me.

I have nvidia cards in my PC and I go into the control panel and I set vsync to on, and yet when I start the game I get horrible screen tearing. Is there something else I can do?

TedNindo

This saved me on the steam forums.

I tried all the config settings and the rage ati drivers and I still had HORRIBLE texture pop in.
But after I put this dll in my rage folder the pop in was gone and it worked wonderfully.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u8153rflr4y7war

Now the game runs extremely fluid on my 4890 with this in my config.

vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

and +vt_maxPPF 16 in my shortcut.

I also added the > c:/Users/"myname"/AppData/Local/id software/rage < folders so that the game would store its cache. like I found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ryK2PErQQc

It runs and looks great now imo.

I'm using 8xAA at 1920 x 1080

My specs are

Q6600 @ 3,2ghz
4GB's of ram
4890 1GB ram

KKRT00

bloodydrake said:
honestly..take it back and get a console version.. xp isn't a viable gaming platform anymore
Havent had any problems with XP till BF 3 and RAGE.
DX9 only games wont force me into the Win7, sorry :) If they dont work properly, its dev job to fix it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
KKRT00 said:
DX9 only games wont force me into the Win7, sorry :) If they dont work properly, its dev job to fix it.

Don't hold your breath. Nobody is going to go out of their way to make something work on an 11 year old OS.

scitek

NullPointer said:

Changing from 16384 or whatever to 8192 fixed the stuttering for me, I guess. It's smooth for me now.

TedNindo said:
This saved me on the steam forums.

I tried all the config settings and the rage ati drivers and I still had HORRIBLE texture pop in.
But after I put this dll in my rage folder the pop in was gone and it worked wonderfully.

http://www.mediafire.com/?u8153rflr4y7war

Now the game runs extremely fluid on my 4890 with this in my config.

vt_restart
vt_maxaniso 4
image_anisotropy 4

and +vt_maxPPF 16 in my shortcut.

I also added the > c:/Users/"myname"/AppData/Local/id software/rage < folders so that the game would store its cache. like I found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ryK2PErQQc

It runs and looks great now imo.

I'm using 8xAA at 1920 x 1080

My specs are

Q6600 @ 3,2ghz
4GB's of ram
4890 1GB ram

This also gives me hope. I need to find fellows with similar rigs.

aeolist

Banned
Has anyone gotten "driver install: the inf file was not found" during the AMD Rage driver update? Can't manually force the driver to load through the device manager either.

edit: nm, had to reboot again

kuroshiki

KKRT00 said:

Win 7 is dirt cheap and works wonderfully. I can't fathom of going back to XP after used 7 for 2 years.

Why do you still use XP, btw?

Solo

Holy fuck. With beta drivers and the tweaks and GPU transcoding on, texture pop in is like 95% GONE. FUCK YEAH.

However, I have a new issue - something is inducing some tearing despite the fact I have v-sync forced. Any ideas? I wasn't getting the tearing before I went to the beta drivers/GPU transcoding.

Pimpbaa

KKRT00 said:

But neither of those are DX9 only, BF3 has DX11 and Rage is OpenGL.

Pimpbaa

Solo said:
Holy fuck. With beta drivers and the tweaks and GPU transcoding on, texture pop in is like 95% GONE. FUCK YEAH.

However, I have a new issue - something is inducing some tearing despite the fact I have v-sync forced. Any ideas? I wasn't getting the tearing before I went to the beta drivers/GPU transcoding.

Go into the profiles for games in the nvidia control panel, show all games and look for Rage. Nvidia updated the profiles to add Rage and forces v-sync off for some retarded reason (are nvidia and amd trying to sabotage this game?). Anyway, just turn the v-sync setting back to the default.

Solo

Pimpbaa said:
Go into the profiles for games in the nvidia control panel, show all games and look for Rage. Nvidia updated the profiles to add Rage and forces v-sync off for some retarded reason (are nvidia and amd trying to sabotage this game?). Anyway, just turn the v-sync setting back to the default.

OMG that was exactly it. LOL, the fuck, nVidia?

Thanks!

Top Bottom