• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 |OT| of no auto shotguns

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
dammitmattt said:
So PS3 owners are bitching a lot. How is online on the 360?

Flawless. If you're still crazy enough to buy a ubisoft game on PS3 you almost deserve the bad online. DO NOT BUY UBISOFT GAMES ON PS3 THEY DO NOT WORK.

J-Rzez said:
I didn't do MP yet, but did some co-op and terrorist hunt and it ran pretty good. Still trying to finish up Story now and unlock some more stuff then I'll be hitting up MP.

You'll be too busy playing RSV2 to worry about the COD4 maps :)

Geoff9920

QVT said:
Flawless. If you're still crazy enough to buy a ubisoft game on PS3 you almost deserve the bad online. DO NOT BUY UBISOFT GAMES ON PS3 THEY DO NOT WORK.
Same here, haven't had any problems with the few online matches I've had.

QVT said:

So according to you, the online works well and the frame rate issue is way overblown. Why is RSV2 getting so much hate? Is just mainly from the PS3 owners who got a shitty port?

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
dammitmattt said:
So according to you, the online works well and the frame rate issue is way overblown. Why is RSV2 getting so much hate? Is just mainly from the PS3 owners who got a shitty port?

Yes. If you ask guys who talk bad about it whether they got it on PS3 or 360, they will say PS3. Or maybe they liked CoD4 and can't go back to Vegas style. In terms of online lag, I played online for 10 hours yesterday and an hour today without any lag at all.

Ubisoft just can't make PS3 games.

And it's really not getting much hate, the reviews have all been really good.

Concept17

QVT said:
Yes. If you ask guys who talk bad about it whether they got it on PS3 or 360, they will say PS3. Or maybe they liked CoD4 and can't go back to Vegas style. In terms of online lag, I played online for 10 hours yesterday and an hour today without any lag at all.

I've played for a number of hours on the ps3 version now, and the game is perfect outside of some current connection issues when trying to join games. Thats it.

calder

I played online tonight without any issues other than bad lag in one match leading to the host dropping. And my brothers were playing co-op campaign for a few hours, maybe whatever issues they were having with the PS3 online were fixed? Or else I was just lucky tonight and really unlucky yesterday.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I played the game online and found it unplayable. Not due to lag, but rather the controls, framerate (30 or less in many many places) and overall feel/speed of the game feel absolutely "last gen" for someone who's been playing COD4 for any good length of time.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
QVT said:

As long as UBI continues to use Unreal Engine, their problems might continue to persist.

Zer0

Banned
QVT said:
It was all bullshit. I haven't seen a damn thing.

Me and FatalT beat the campaign in 4 or 5 hours co-op(if that) and then beat terrorist hunt on realistic all the way through twice. No framerate issues except looking out of the helicopter sometimes would be slow.

no,its not bullshit,i have suffered that,in one point the game almost stop ( last mission) and i have to reset the 360

J-Rzez

dammitmattt said:
You'll be too busy playing RSV2 to worry about the COD4 maps :)

:lol

Yeah, well, I hope this MP good enough to tide me over with the online shooting people stuff until July. Almost done with SP and unlocking some cool stuff, so I'll probably give MP a whirl tomorrow night if my friends are on.

chespace said:
I played the game online and found it unplayable. Not due to lag, but rather the controls, framerate (30 or less in many many places) and overall feel/speed of the game feel absolutely "last gen" for someone who's been playing COD4 for any good length of time.

This confirms my suspicions then. This is exactly what I feared would happen if I picked this game up after playing so much COD.

BSherrod

The problem I have with people saying the game is slow or the controls are more complicated compared to COD4 is that they are two different style of games. R6V2 is slower and more methodical for a reason, the game has a larger emphasis on tactics than COD4 which basically has none. At first, the switch from both games was jarring, but just today I really started enjoying this game again. I think a lot of people in large communities like this heard the buzz about the first one, but expected another game than what it is. Oh well, to each his own.

Eric WK

BSherrod said:
The problem I have with people saying the game is slow or the controls are more complicated compared to COD4 is that they are two different style of games. R6V2 is slower and more methodical for a reason, the game has a larger emphasis on tactics than COD4 which basically has none. At first, the switch from both games was jarring, but just today I really started enjoying this game again. I think a lot of people in large communities like this heard the buzz about the first one, but expected another game than what it is. Oh well, to each his own.

Well said.

chespace

BSherrod said:

COD4 has just as much tactics, if not more... but I'm not sure what you're quantifying as tactics in this discussion.

You're right that the two games have different styles, but that doesn't keep you from objectively realizing that the fundamentals of shooting and moving in COD4 is just plain better.

Deepblue

Banned
chespace said:
COD4 has just as much tactics, if not more... but I'm not sure what you're quantifying as tactics in this discussion.

You're right that the two games have different styles, but that doesn't keep you from objectively realizing that the fundamentals of shooting and moving in COD4 is just plain better.
I disagree. CoD4 gives you a fair shot if you go running into a fire fight guns blazing. This absolutely should not be so with Rainbow 6. You plan your insertion, you cover your buddies, and you make your way to the objective.

chespace

Deepblue said:
I disagree. CoD4 gives you a fair shot if you go running into a fire fight guns blazing. This absolutely should not be so with Rainbow 6. You plan your insertion, you cover your buddies, and you make your way to the objective.

I think we're talking about multiplayer here, and in team hardcore, you certainly do not have a fair shot if you go running out of cover guns blazing in COD4.

chespace said:
I think we're talking about multiplayer here, and in team hardcore, you certainly do not have a fair shot if you go running out of cover guns blazing in COD4.

True, but that's just one of a dozen modes in COD4, and it's only being played by roughly 5% of the users at any given time. It's more fair to compare the base modes.

chespace

dammitmattt said:
True, but that's just one of a dozen modes in COD4, and it's only being played by roughly 5% of the users at any given time. It's more fair to compare the base modes.

Nah, you'll get jacked in any mode.

Also, have you tried throwing a grenade in Vegas lately? It's like a freaking shot put. :lol

J-Rzez

chespace said:

Also, have you tried throwing a grenade in Vegas lately? It's like a freaking shot put. :lol

Yeah, quite a difference from throwing the ever cheap revenge grenade across what's seemingly the entire map when you respawn in CoD4 :lol

chespace

J-Rzez said:
Yeah, quite a difference from throwing the ever cheap revenge grenade across what's seemingly the entire map when you respawn in CoD4 :lol

I guess the happy medium lies somewhere in-between, although I'd rather have COD4's grenade physics and throwing arm. :lol

As it is now, it's just pathetic, even if you hold down the throw button forever and release.

I'm also running into some mad framerate issues in single-player (on 360). That one section in the rock climbing gym... chug city.

Overall, having spent a couple days with Vegas 2, I think the 60fps in COD4 is all something we've been taking for granted.

zam

chespace said:

Yeah, the grenade flies like 1m forward, even if I'm aiming high up it only goes 2-2.5m :lol

jobbidiar

chespace said:
I guess the happy medium lies somewhere in-between, although I'd rather have COD4's grenade physics and throwing arm. :lol

As it is now, it's just pathetic, even if you hold down the throw button forever and release.

I'm also running into some mad framerate issues in single-player (on 360). That one section in the rock climbing gym... chug city.

Overall, having spent a couple days with Vegas 2, I think the 60fps in COD4 is all something we've been taking for granted.

I finished the single player of vegas 2 today, decent length for a ubisoft fps i suppose. Your "teammates" have the usual a.i probs same as the 1st game aka won't throw grenades/smoke when you really need them too, don't killed the tagged target when you need them too. One thing i only had right near the end of the game was a bit of slowdown, most of it was pretty smooth for me i've got to say. Graphically i could see that they did enhance the graphics in r62, a bit like they did for ghost recon 2, although in certain sections there still was a bit of screen tearing though. Ubisoft are really starting to remind me of EA in a bad way, releasing sequels to their games every 1 1/2 years and "tweaking" them a little bit but not really enhancing the core gameplay enough, the spirint button was a very smart move i've got to admit, the actual rainbow world though still feels way too static with very little people and things going on in the background the enhance the game. Edge magazine got the score right, decent game but nothing we haven't seen before.

EekTheKat

I'm probably going to get burned from the FPS purists but, this game is a lot of fun with the 3rd person cheat activated.

It almost feels like a cross between R6 and SOCOM, and oddly enough this cheat mode doesn't seem to glitch out very often (I've only seen a few weird animation glitches).

The cheat code is the same as the one in Vegas 1, only the buffer button is different instead.

Start a game (SP story, or terrorist hunt) - hold R1 then

Square, O, Square, O, L3, L3, Triangle, X, Triangle, X, R3, R3

On the 360 it's Right bumper, then

X, B, X, B, Left Thumbstick, Left Thumbstick, Y, A, Y, A, Right Thumbstick, Right Thumbstick

YMMV on this one, for some people this won't work on SP story mode, while it's worked for others.

oneHeero

Waited on buying it for my Ps3, but my friend got the 360 version. Saw a lot of hiccups in it. fps dropped alot in big fights. Online was iffy at times, but when it would connect and work, it was really clean.

Servers are probably just overloaded right now.

Kafel

Banned
Hey guys, could you please give me a piece of information ?

I need to know if there are european languages (french, german ...) in the 360 US version of the game.

Please someone look at it in the options or switch the 360 language in french for a second in order to check. Thank you. : )

Concept17

oneHeero said:
Waited on buying it for my Ps3, but my friend got the 360 version. Saw a lot of hiccups in it. fps dropped alot in big fights. Online was iffy at times, but when it would connect and work, it was really clean.

Servers are probably just overloaded right now.

The hiccups seem to come from particle effects such as glass blowing out of windows or for instance, the fire in a vehicle on CQB Training. It certaintly doesn't make the game unplayable, as Vegas is a much slower paced game than say CoD4.

The comparisons between the two are silly to me. They are two entirely different styles of FPS. If CoD4 was only 30fps, I could understand complaints as theres a lot of shit going on and is generally faster paced, whereas Vegas its run a small distance, stop, look around, run a small distance and so on. They each have their own share of tactics that are completely different from one another.

If you've tired of the gungho CoD gameplay, and want something that 'feels' more tactical and is slower paced, then pick up Vegas.

Concept17

Kafel said:
Hey guys, could you please give me a piece of information ?

I need to know if there are european languages (french, german ...) in the 360 US version of the game ?

Please someone look at it in the options or switch the 360 language in french for a second to check.

When choosing what servers to search for (atleast on the ps3 version) you can select which language, and iirc german and french were both there.

Kafel

Banned
Concept17 said:
When choosing what servers to search for (atleast on the ps3 version) you can select which language, and iirc german and french were both there.

Thank you but it's about the choice in servers there.

I'm more interested about the language of the game itself.

Spruchy

Hey just picked this up, if anyone wants to play toss me an invite at Spruchy86 would love to play with some gaffers.

FreshOne

Rimshot said:
How is this compared to Call of Duty 4?

Thinking about maybe trading it in.
Lots of people in this thread compare the game to CoD4. Opinions seem very mixed. You should probably play it for yourself to be sure you prefer R6 over CoD. If you prefer R6:V1 gameplay over CoD4, this is more of the same. If you've been seduced by CoD's sexy graphics and faster gameplay, you probably wont be able to go back. Also, insane frag chuckers beware. Like Che said above, R6 grenades are hilarious after months of CoD. More realistic, still useful, but the contrast is ridiculous.

epmode

If I had to compare the two, I'd say COD4 is better.

But COD4 doesn't have terrorist hunts. Best game mode ever.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Can i have COD4 with R6V2 gunplay and cover system + all the guns from both games?

I noticed in the campaign of COD4 the AI teammates would use cover and lean in and out of it.

I played the first mission last night, did they make the game harder? Or do i need to re-get-used-to R6. I beat the first Vegas only a few days before i picked up COD4. Seems its easier to go r6 -> COD4 than COD4 -> R6.

FreshOne

captive said:
Seems its easier to go r6 -> COD4 than COD4 -> R6.
I think this is really it. I don't think it's much harder, if at all. But it's easier to speed up to COD than it is to slow down and be patient for R6.

Rimshot

What Captive said is probably what annoys me the most with CoD4, the lack of being able to use cover.

I liked the old Vegas game a lot (4 player coop was fun) and terrorist hunt was a blast too. CoD4 has been fun as well, since most of my friends own it, but if they'd only add using cover I would love it soo much more >.<

FreshOne

You'll probably want to keep COD4 to play when your friends don't follow you to R6V2. Pick it up though, it sounds like you'd dig it. You could argue that it's an overpriced expansion but really, it's an improved game, no one will be playing the original anymore, and it's not overpriced if most of the people in this thread were willing to pony up the money.

You know, to each their own and everything, I can understand people preferring R6V over COD4. But how can people compare crouching behind a wall in R6V and COD4 and come to the conclusion "What, I have to stick my head out to look around? Why that's not tactical at all!"

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Kabuki Waq said:
cover is insanely cheap on R6:V you can see EVERYTHING around you while in cover.

That leads to pure cheapness.
Well im thinking the game designers at Ubisoft thought the tactical mirror that tactical teams have would be retarded to have to use in game.

captive said:
Well im thinking the game designers at Ubisoft thought the tactical mirror that tactical teams have would be retarded to have to use in game.

I didn't play Swat 4, but I know Swat 3 had tactical mirrors in the game. Worked fine IMO.

madmook

FUCK YOU, UBI.

I can understand if you gotta spawn terros once the player gets within proximity (too memory- and bandwidth-intensive to spawn and keep track of 30+ terros all at once), but for FUCK'S SAKE don't wait till I've deemed a small room to be clear and then make one pop up 5 feet behind me, which obviously proceeds to mow me down. There is no fucking way to defend against this and it is fucking pissing me off.

This was a major complaint for the 1st Vegas game, and yet despite all those fraudulent interviews where the devs spouted on about "listening to the fans", they decided to leave this "feature" in the game. Downright shameful.

SUPREME1

Banned
PedroLumpy said:
I didn't play Swat 4, but I know Swat 3 had tactical mirrors in the game. Worked fine IMO.

Wouldn't work well in online MP games, imho.

It'd be good and all for set objectives, like clearing a room of a few tangos.. Or when the pacing is more methodical and you can take your time, like in SP. You know which way the enemy is (or should be) and you take your time around each corner.

That'd be a real bad strategy in a MP game where there are multiple real opponents and not just AI which stick to a pre-determined area and wait for you to enter said area.

With AI, you know they're in there, so you can take your time with a mirror and all that...because they ain't going nowhere.

In R6V MP, people stay on the move and know all the routes and hot spots...

madmook said:
This was a major complaint for the 1st Vegas game, and yet despite all those fraudulent interviews where the devs spouted on about "listening to the fans", they decided to leave this "feature" in the game. Downright shameful.

Ubisoft not tending to known issues, and with the Rainbow franchise no less? Remarkable.

ImperialConquest said:
Wouldn't work well in online MP games, imho.

It'd be good and all for set objectives, like clearing a room of a few tangos.. Or when the pacing is more methodical and you can take your time, like in SP. You know which way the enemy is (or should be) and you take your time around each corner.

That'd be a real bad strategy in a MP game where there are multiple real opponents and not just AI which stick to a pre-determined area and wait for you to enter said area.

With AI, you know they're in there, so you can take your time with a mirror and all that...because they ain't going nowhere.

In R6V MP, people stay on the move and know all the routes and hot spots...

Sure thing, but I think we should be drawing a different conclusion from both our points. Tactical mirrors could be put in the game (my point), but they would be too slow to use effectively in a online game (your point). The conclusion I would draw is that using the tactical mirror as a reason why you can see everything while in cover is a poor explanation.

Top Bottom