• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

wouwie

The music in the underwater levels is wonderful.

Just got through that part. The music is magical at times in that section.

Also, really enjoying the chase sequences. A walking treasure chest, banjo music and chase. What more do you need? :)

This game is awesome.

I just want to reiterate that Ubisoft Montpellier really needs to make a Metroid game. Like, seriously. Running up walls then springing off them, swinging from a vine ala grappling beam and then landing into a full sprint all while dodging eyeball laden tentacles gives me Metroid vibes big time. Not to mention all the lush organic backgrounds and perfectly tucked away little coves hiding extra challenges. Michel Ancel totally gets it. I actually had similar feelings while playing Rayman 2, before Metroid had transitioned to 3D.

Sullichin

I just want to reiterate that Ubisoft Montpellier really needs to make a Metroid game. Like, seriously. Running up walls then springing off them, swinging from a vine ala grappling beam and then landing into a full sprint all while dodging eyeball laden tentacles gives me Metroid vibes big time. Not to mention all the lush organic backgrounds and perfectly tucked away little coves hiding extra challenges. Michel Ancel totally gets it. I actually had similar feelings while playing Rayman 2, before Metroid had transitioned to 3D.

I would approve of this. I'm only on world 2 but I think the controls are pretty perfect.

Peff

World
's chase level was so awesome. When
the vertical wall started falling and the character kept up with it I couldn't help but grin

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WOW! And when you first think that you're close to beating the game...
half the game opens up and you realize you've just scraped the surface
! Normally I'd go "but I just want to hurry up and complete this game!"... but this game's got way too good game design and fluidity to ever stop playing! It's truly one of the most polished games this generation. Proof of this is when you start speed running every stage; you'll realize that they're MEANT to be played this way!

Simply amazing.

WOW! And when you first think that you're close to beating the game...
half the game opens up and you realize you've just scraped the surface
! Normally I'd go "but I just want to hurry up and complete this game!"... but this game's got way too good game design and fluidity to ever stop playing! It's truly one of the most polished games this generation. Proof of this is when you start speed running every stage; you'll realize that they're MEANT to be played this way!

Simply amazing.

Yeah, I really thought I was near the end, but this is just the game that keeps on giving. The levels are so well designed and it really shows when you do the time trials. It's fun conquering those stupid treasure chests, those bastards can really move.

Target has the ps3 and 360 versions on sale for 50$ gonna pick it up tomorrow. I was going to wait for a price drop, but this games deserves to be purchased.

Poona

Game.co.uk and Shopto ship internationally, but I don't think either has it in stock. Try ebay.co.uk.

Zavvi.com still has collector editions and they ship international. I just ordered a copy from there for 360 but they still have PS3 versions too.

Zanosuke

If it matters, PS3 version doesn't have surround sound, and 360 does.

What, is this true? If so, what is the reason behind it? It seems so weird when the PS3-version of a multi platform title usually have better sound because of more availible free space..

dallow_bg

nods at old men
What, is this true? If so, what is the reason behind it? It seems so weird when the PS3-version of a multi platform title usually have better sound because of more availible free space..
From reading around, seems like a bug that no one is really talking about. I may make a thread later to see if anyone knows anything about it.
But yeah, only outputs stereo. No ambient surround :(

NME

I just want to reiterate that Ubisoft Montpellier really needs to make a Metroid game.

You know, it didn't take much time with the game for me to conclude that Michel Ancel should be the design lead for every Nintendo game going forward. I'm with you, I just don't think he and his team should be limited to Metroid.

I'd complain that this will never happen, but for goodness sake if Team Ninja gets to make a Metroid game, certainly Ubisoft Montpellier should get the chance, right?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Weird.

I'm also curious about whether this game was designed with the analog stick in mind, or is it a truly d-pad dependent game?

It feels better for me to use the analog. I go back and forth when I play, though.

Always analog on swimming for me atleast.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It feels better for me to use the analog. I go back and forth when I play, though.

Always analog on swimming for me atleast.

Same here. In some of the more demanding levels, like the final set and the treasure chases, I gravitated towards the d-pad since it is a touch more precise. But most of the time, it works fine either way, and like you said analog is much better for the swimming and flying levels.

So I got some 4 player multiplayer going for Rayman earlier today, absolutely hilarious stuff.
The lenient approach to death works incredibly well for 4 people, it's easy enough to die but you get back in the game at great speed since you can fully move your own bubble unlike the more random NSMB wii equivalent and the lack of a lives system ensures that no one gets booted out mid stage (also a NSMB fault). Aside from platforming multiplayer it's also reminiscent of Zelda Four Swords, you will be working in a team for the most part but the allure of lums (especially the coins) will cause a momentary scuffle withe fists flying everywhere because bragging rights are important! What I really like is how the number of lums each player holds doesn't just determine the position you'll take in the end of stage screen but also when you break a treasure chest, not only a subtle reminder of whose leading the lum tally but also each character has a different animation/dance depending on which position held.
It single handily crushed any other multiplayer attempted on this day.

test_account

XP-39C²
The 360 version doesn't actually look that bad. It helps that the ratings logo is also green.

rayman-origin-collectors-edition.jpg
Yeah, the Xbox 360 version box looks good too :) I think i still prefer the black PS3 boarder with this artwork though. But i like the artwork regardless of which logo border =)

jesusraz

Cubed3 review - 9/10

A certain Italian plumber should watch his back - Rayman Origins is as good as New Super Mario Bros. Wii and not far off from approaching the quality of some of his finest 2D adventures. This is a tightly designed yet grandiose platformer that is stuffed full of wide smile-inducing joy. While limited in terms of multiplayer options and potentially too difficult for some of its intended audience, Rayman Origins is nonetheless one of this year's best games on Wii, and a blueprint for 2D jumpathons in the 21st century.
Full review here.

It's not my personal review, as sadly I've not had chance to try it yet, but reading this made me extremely eager to give it a whirl soon after adoring Kirby's Adventure Wii.

I was dead-set on buying this, but then I happened to try this game yesterday for a couple of hours at work...

Unfortunately, after the first few of minutes of "holy shit this looks really cool", boredom quickly set in. The game just completely failed to capture my imagination in any way, and felt thoroughly flat and uninteresting the entire time I was playing :/

Comparing this to Mario platformers (or even the recent DKCR) is something I can't really take seriously, as this is a far poorer experience all-round. This felt much more like a "platformer lite" that clearly had more emphasis put on style rather than substance...

Anyway, I guess I just went in with super-high expectations and was massively disappointed. I'll still probably buy this anyway, because I really want to support this great move and encourage more devs to make 2D AAA platformers again, but even so I'll probably wait for a price-drop before I do so.

Jintor

Comparing this to Mario platformers (or even the recent DKCR) is something I can't really take seriously, as this is a far poorer experience all-round. This felt much more like a "platformer lite" that clearly had more emphasis put on style rather than substance...

I have no idea how you can conclude this. Early game it's pretty simply if you're playing it in a bog-standard 'oh, I guess I should scroll right' kind of way, but by about mid-game it gets pretty bloody challenging, and the entire thing is super optimised for 'flow', or being able to bounce near-effortlessly through a level collecting every single thing along the way. Multiplayer has a different, more chaotic appeal to it.

Peff

I too am stuck on "My Heartburn's For You." The game WAS perfect until that level.

The boss fight inside the dragon thingy? It's a bit too trial-and-error-ish, yes. Fortunately there are several checkpoints.

I have no idea how you can conclude this. Early game it's pretty simply if you're playing it in a bog-standard 'oh, I guess I should scroll right' kind of way, but by about mid-game it gets pretty bloody challenging, and the entire thing is super optimised for 'flow', or being able to bounce near-effortlessly through a level collecting every single thing along the way. Multiplayer has a different, more chaotic appeal to it.

Yep.

d0c_zaius

I'm not a big fan of previous rayman games, or of the character himself, but this game is amazing. The combination of music and gameplay, plus the momentum/flow pace of the game is so smooth.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Really close to 100'ing the game and it saddens me so much... I don't want this to end. I love how much variation this game has. The "play carefully and grab as much orbs possible"-style is amazing. The "hurry up, the clock is ticking"-gameplay is so well made. The "flying-on-a-bird"-segment is addicting as heck. The boss fights are hilariously awesome :lol Everything with this game is ridiculously good. BUY IT.

Xander51

I finally got around to buying this game today and I know it's not a new sentiment but I'm not disappointed. The pacing and flow of the controls are amazing, and the art is incredibly crisp. I'm not entirely sure what this has to do with Rayman's origins...but I've never gone to Rayman for the plot.

Tizoc

From reading around, seems like a bug that no one is really talking about. I may make a thread later to see if anyone knows anything about it.
But yeah, only outputs stereo. No ambient surround :(

The game was so good it made us not worry about it too much ;3
...but yeah how do I contact Ubisoft so they can patch the audio for the PS3 version?

I was dead-set on buying this, but then I happened to try this game yesterday for a couple of hours at work...

Unfortunately, after the first few of minutes of "holy shit this looks really cool", boredom quickly set in. The game just completely failed to capture my imagination in any way, and felt thoroughly flat and uninteresting the entire time I was playing :/

Anyway, I guess I just went in with super-high expectations and was massively disappointed. I'll still probably buy this anyway, because I really want to support this great move and encourage more devs to make 2D AAA platformers again, but even so I'll probably wait for a price-drop before I do so.

You're crazy. This game oozes charm and personality. It gets pretty tricky pretty fast, too.

test_account

XP-39C²
This game oozes charm and personality. It gets pretty tricky pretty fast, too.
Indeed. I'm really glad that i bought this game now instead of waiting. And those time trial trophies/challenges are really hard. I've only tried one of them though, but i failed 4-5 times in a row before i gave up (i will try them again after i beat the game).

Started playing this the other day. It's awesome. I can't tell you how many times I've ended a level with 348 lums, though. :|

I forget which level, but I was almost at completion. Saw a bubbling platform and thought, there'll be a few more lums, surely. Just keep going.

Yeah...that was sucky.

Peff

That last level was craaazy. I missed the gold medal by very little and was afraid I'd have to play it all over again but
each part gets its own level, great decision
. And now, to get those pesky Lums and secrets. What a fantastic game.

EDIT: The ending is mindblowing btw.

The_Monk

Are there much time events in this game? Things like, going to point A to point B in a certain amount of time?

Because I never liked those and didn't want them in this game...! Thanks for answering.

Yoshichan

Are there much time events in this game? Things like, going to point A to point B in a certain amount of time?

Because I never liked those and didn't want them in this game...! Thanks for answering.
There's a bunch of them actually <.< but most of them are optional if you want to 100% the game.

The_Monk

There's a bunch of them actually <.< but most of them are optional if you want to 100% the game.

Thanks. Can you give me an example? Let's say... Crash Bandicoot, they had some levels to make in a time trial event. But it was optional. It's like that?

PS: I told my lady about the new Rayman game and she was like OMG! I also discovered that she was a fan of Rayman 2 and she likes more the 3D type instead of a 2D platformer. Still, I was very surprised and proud. Then she started to watch youtube videos of Ape Escape, Crash Bandicoot and Tombi. I need something for her...!

Yoshichan

Thanks. Can you give me an example? Let's say... Crash Bandicoot, they had some levels to make in a time trial event. But it was optional. It's like that?
When you beat a stage, you can play it again and this time start a time-event. So basically, almost every stage in the game can be replayed with the time-event :).

edit: there are also stages where you have to follow a fast treasure chest (that's right, a treasure chest that runs really fast!). But it's really fun and the map design is really made for fast paced running.

Top Bottom