• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Random question for PS3 owners. Does this game has artwork on the inside of the case?

Also, are there any particular problems with the PS3 version that have cropped up?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
No artwork inside the case. It's just white. :(

No issues whatsoever with the PS3 version, it's looks and runs wonderfully.

I keep hearing about this game bombing and I feel sad :(

Can't wait until Christmas Day, gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. This is easily the best type of game for Christmas mornings too.

naib

Also, are there any particular problems with the PS3 version that have cropped up?
I opted for PS3 mostly for the d-pad.

Super solid. It feels like a complete and final package.
No complaints here.

~~~

I think my only gripe might be the music when you grab the big Loom that makes them all 2x for a time. It was charming at first..

Otherwise I love the game. As does my g/f's 7 year old daughter. When playing with her we mostly stick to the first world for now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just about to play this game! (no install, wtf?!)

But I wanna play with someone ;_; I feel lonely...

Game is beautiful. Lots of wholly shit moments just looking at the artwork. Man, I can't wait till Nintendo starts doing their franchise side-scrollers at this res.

Forgive me for 'trolling', but is Nintendo really the publisher to be excited about for high-res 2D games? Rayman looked amazing also when it was first released ages ago, and it really was beyond compare back then too. Or did I perhaps miss anything? The nicest looking thing from Nintendo I remember so far is the last Wii Kirby, which was really charming, but still not even close to Rayman Origins, not even the original imho.

I'll definitely pick up this game sometime. I'd like to get the PSN version, or I might wait for the Vita version or some combined offer perhaps? Won't be long now before my son is able to play this, he's already useful now in co-op in some levels - I can just ask him to keep hitting 'x' and then float to him whenever I become a bubble :D

FINALBOSS

Banned
I played through the first world, but what the fuck is going on? What are my objectives? Is there a story? Do I just collect those little yellow dudes to get those pink dudes? I mean what the fuck?

wouwie

is the game worth it even if you're not into co-op?

Assuming you have at least an interest in playing platform games, then i'd say absolutely. I'm playing solo and i love it. Several reviews mention that the game is very good single-player but a bit harder in collecting all the stuff. Still very do-able so far and a joy to play. Also, the demo should give you a good indication of what the game is about. If you liked the demo, you'll love the full game.

How many world hub's are there in total? And is there any way to review the intro from the game?

iavi

It's no lesser the game when not with others, just a difference experience. When playing solo, you can actually focus on the various objectives. 4 player co-op, for this guy here, has been a crazy fun, mess of racing through the levels trying to beat each other to the immediately visible collectables.

JohngPR

If you're a fan of old school platfomers, I can't see how you wouldn't like it.

I played through the first world, but what the fuck is going on? What are my objectives? Is there a story? Do I just collect those little yellow dudes to get those pink dudes? I mean what the fuck?

It's a very loose story, but there's one there. It's not really the main focus of the game.

goldenpp72

The game has no story really, which was kinda weird because the initial reveal had a cutscene with the fairy and rayman being born, yet it's not in the game at all?

Still who needs a story in a platformer, seems silly. Did NSMB wii or DCKR have compelling plots to someone?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'm happy that the story was very minimal. Personally, I don't need a narrative or context in a pure platforming game like Rayman. It just gets in the way of the good stuff, I'd rather play than watch.

test_account

XP-39C²
I got my copy today. I have played through the first world (5-6 levels or something). Great game! :)

I also really like the artwork of the Collector's Edition. I also think that the PS3 logo fits great with the rest of the artwork because it is black, so it kinda blends in with the artwork itself and doesnt stand too much out:

ibb5OSqjc7Ua0y.jpg

Wasn't really interested in this until today, as it's on at work (I work at a games store). It was just looping the rolling demo over and over again, and I was blown away at how gorgeous it looks. It also looks really damn fun.

It absolutely KILLS me that it doesn't have online multiplayer, however. The most fun parts looked like the 4-player simultaneous parts, which I won't get the chance to do often.

I'm waiting for this to come down in price (not because I'm averse to paying full-price for a 2D platformer, but because I have way too many games I've bought recently and don't play on account of Skyrim), but if it had online multiplayer, I'd have bought it today.

iavi

I got my copy today. I have played through the first world (5-6 levels or something). Great game! :)

I also really like the artwork of the Collector's Edition. I also think that the PS3 logo fits great with the rest of the artwork because it is black, so it kinda blends in with the artwork itself and doesnt stand too much out:

ibb5OSqjc7Ua0y.jpg

You get a starry sky as your backdrop vs the daylit one in the normal versions. :( Lucky.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ridiculously fun game... I can't stop playing!

test_account

XP-39C²
You get a starry sky as your backdrop vs the daylit one in the normal versions. :( Lucky.
The game that is included in the Collector's Edition is the normal version, so unfortunately the game case itself isnt different. But yeah, i prefer the starry sky background instead :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This game is so good in co-op. It's got everything it wants to do just right. I still feel bad about the game not getting closer to Rayman 1, but for what we got? I'm pretty fucking happy, heh

Jintor

ibb5OSqjc7Ua0y.jpg

The 360 version doesn't actually look that bad. It helps that the ratings logo is also green.

rayman-origin-collectors-edition.jpg

Peff

Man, a lot of love really went into this game's development... the animations, the lush backgrounds, the placement of the collectables feels just right, the new mechanics and twists introduced in basically every level, the uniquely designed bonus rooms, a really balanced difficulty curve, the tooth chase levels, pretty much everything is a highlight. Here's hoping soccer moms make it fly off the shelves this month.

Sullichin

This game came out of nowhere for me, I may have heard about it earlier in the year but it got lost admist all the other games. Decided to get it on Amazon when it went on sale and my impressions are very positive. It looks pretty incredible! I'm on the second world and I'm having a really good time. The levels seem easy so far but already encountered some difficult optional areas.

Footos22

Just started the
second set of worlds
and cant get enough. The fact all
these new worlds opened up blew my mind.

Going for platinum and have doen everything so far even the 350 lums on each level which i didnt realise until world 5 that i didnt even need to do!

Rage!

The treasure chest levels and chasing the nymphs are my favourite, fast paced, action packed.

Some of the time trials are difficult and only just cleared some with 0 secs to go but mostly pretty easy finishing with 13 secs or so left on the clock.

Loving this game though. Its just below Dark Souls as my GOTY

Yes Boss!

Forgive me for 'trolling', but is Nintendo really the publisher to be excited about for high-res 2D games? Rayman looked amazing also when it was first released ages ago, and it really was beyond compare back then too. Or did I perhaps miss anything? The nicest looking thing from Nintendo I remember so far is the last Wii Kirby, which was really charming, but still not even close to Rayman Origins, not even the original imho.

I'll definitely pick up this game sometime. I'd like to get the PSN version, or I might wait for the Vita version or some combined offer perhaps? Won't be long now before my son is able to play this, he's already useful now in co-op in some levels - I can just ask him to keep hitting 'x' and then float to him whenever I become a bubble :D
Absolutely. Wario Shake was a real treat, just like Origins. Ultimately, it is just really nice to see hand-drawn animation with so many frames...without it coming off as too Flash-like. The higher res on Origins just makes it so much more impressive. I also can't wait to see an HD Vanillaware game.

Chao

Tried the demo yesterday and whoa, the art was amazing, definitely a buy for me (but maybe after the holiday season) The one thing couldn't stand was those flying things you collect singing (maybe they have a name, I'm not Rayman expert). I know they are supposed to be cute creatures but I couldn't stop thinking they were regular people with high pitched voice filters.

Famassu

My god. The soundtrack. Sogood.jpg.

Sadly I probably won't be able to start the game until 2-3 weeks from now, given how much stuff I have to do until then. -____-

Limanima

Tryed the demo, and ho my, the art and sound are pure awsomeness.

After played this, I looked at the 2D game I'm developing and I can't evoid being dissapointed at my game...

Tryed the demo, and ho my, the art and sound are pure awsomeness.

After played this, I looked at the 2D game I'm developing and I can't evoid being dissapointed at my game...
Don't beat yourself up. What game doesn't look slightly shabbier next to Rayman Origins? It's almost magically good. I mean hell, it knocked Super Mario 3D Land down a peg on my working GOTY list. I am amazed by this game at every turn.

Guys I'm in love with this game.

It feels to me like a great Sega Genesis-era platformer that just happens to also have the most gorgeous backgrounds, characters and animation I've ever seen.

So glad I bought it.

Mifune

Mehmber
Guys I'm in love with this game.

It feels to me like a great Sega Genesis-era platformer that just happens to also have the most gorgeous backgrounds, characters and animation I've ever seen.

So glad I bought it.

Reminds me of the first time I played Aladdin or Earthworm Jim on Genesis.

Yoshichan

Gonna continue this game now!

I "100%" all stages up until world 4! Let's see what this world has in store for me :D

Gonna continue this game now!

I "100%" all stages up until world 4! Let's see what this world has in store for me :D
I find it really hard to 100% the levels. I haven't tried many of them more than once or twice but it definitely takes a lot to get those medals.

Nothing wrong with a little challenge though!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
any deals on this? i'd like to ask my wife for it for christmas

Yoshichan

I find it really hard to 100% the levels. I haven't tried many of them more than once or twice but it definitely takes a lot to get those medals.

Nothing wrong with a little challenge though!

Yep! This is exactly why I want to 100% them... because it's actually very skill-dependent!

Top Bottom