• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks Yoshi, I might get it for Christmas on the PS Store. Hope the game is not too big (File size, I mean) :)
Yes, buy it! I promise you, you won't regret it :D!

Xander51

As to the surround sound difference between platforms, I noticed that even though it outputs in Dolby Digital on 360, it's only using my left and right front speakers. So, it's mixed in stereo on both platforms. The demo was this way also.

It doesn't even matter, game is still awesome and I don't know that surround mixing would add much to it, save for the music. There's not a lot here that would need fully positional surround mixing.

Footos22

Yay platinum get. The livid dead was hard as nails but oh so fun when you fly through it flawlessly! Fantastic game but there is no point me keeping it. Finished within 10 days = full store credit.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Which level should I do to get the trophy for bubbalizing a hunter with his own missile? Seems kinda tricky but there is probably a specific moment where it's easy.

After that, I just gotta do a ton of time trials and finish up a few lum challenges. I can't believe some of you are getting 100% so fast, I've been played this game a ton since it came out and I still have a ways to go.

BeeDog

I've been strangely interested in this game, but I didn't actually try the demo until earlier today. Goddamn it's a beautiful game, probably the best-looking 2D game I've ever seen. And it's quite fun to boot!

I was just wondering, how lengthy is the game? Does it hold up all the way, or is the demo sample "enough"?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been strangely interested in this game, but I didn't actually try the demo until earlier today. Goddamn it's a beautiful game, probably the best-looking 2D game I've ever seen. And it's quite fun to boot!

I was just wondering, how lengthy is the game? Does it hold up all the way, or is the demo sample "enough"?

I thought I was done with the game then it unlocked about 25 more stages, so I'd say it's pretty lengthy. It continues to get more challenging to keep you entertained, and the artwork and music continues to amaze.

It's going to be crazy seeing best OST wars between Rayman, Xenoblade, Bastion, etc.

TimmiT

The CE arrived for me today (had to import it from the UK) and have finished the first world so far and gotten the helicopter upgrade. I can already tell this will be my GOTY.

There's plenty of content, especially if you're collecting all the lums, going for time trials, etc. Even if you're not there are still a ton of levels. And while the demo is a good sample of what the full title offers, it doesn't really touch the breadth of the actual game, which continually introduces new elements from world to world, and even level to level. So to answer your question it more than holds up. In fact, I've been continually impressed with it. If you have any love in your heart at all for traditional platformers this game is pretty much heaven.

BeeDog

Thanks for the more detailed responses, guys. Already ordered the game since it's on a one-day discount here in Sweden. :)

Peff

Which level should I do to get the trophy for bubbalizing a hunter with his own missile? Seems kinda tricky but there is probably a specific moment where it's easy.

Outty My Way has one right after the first checkpoint, so it's easy to do it there. There are some more through the rest of the level too.

Footos22

Outty My Way has one right after the first checkpoint, so it's easy to do it there. There are some more through the rest of the level too.

This first level of the jungle world
part 2
after the first checkpoint. Jump into the water and bait a missile. Climb out and just jump over to the hunter. Hover a bit the fall down before the missile hits you. Here is a good video although you probably won't need it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-o2i3DVAGE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm, why do world three and four have less levels than the prior two? :(

Tizoc

Welp, I just bought this game. Now I am officially awesome, right?

You betcha!
Rayman_2_thumbs_up.png

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The music in the underwater levels is unbelievably good.

Everything about the game is so effortlessly fantastic. It's weird. It's one of my favourite games of the year and yet it barely feels like the game is even trying. It's just shrugging -- "I'm just that good, man."

Famassu

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/sound-byte-meet-the-composer-christophe-heral-6346985/

interview with composer christophe heral (also did bg&e). his music is sooo good.

From the interview:
CH: I will be composing the OST of a short animated film directed by Helene Friere, followed by another very nice project for spring 2013 with Thierry Petit. He is a bass player from the Montpellier Orchestra, a troupe which gathers children and orchestras from the Mediterranean coasts, Lebanon, Tunisia, Greece, Majorca, and France. As for video games, you might hear my music as soon as next year.
HmmmMMMMMMmmm? o_O What are the possibilities?

1) we know he'll compose the OST for Beyond Good & Evil 2, but if BG&E2 is really aimed for next-gen systems, is there any possibility of it being released next year (when/if WiiU is the only new system to launch then)?
2) some new unannounced game from Ancel & his team (perhaps a smaller project (PSN/XBLA?) using the same tools as Origins), since Héral has only ever composed music for his games?
3) he's branching out and composing music for some non-Ancel related game

El-Suave

It's probably already somewhere in this thread, but anyway, here's a nice little making of video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbm1q7LEHvw

I'm probably going to give this game my GOTY vote, it's the most pure fun I had with a game this year.

I'll also buy a copy for my niece for Christmas - she played the game with me and she enjoyed it a lot. Personally I found playing with another less experienced player a bit distracting, but it was fun on another level.

Xander51

So is this definitely not coming out on PC then?

It doesn't look like it, no. However, the game already runs at 60 FPS at 1080p on consoles, so if you've got a console also and it's purely a performance concern, don't hesitate. I don't really see what a PC version could do to improve this game on the tech side, it's rock solid.

epmode

So is this definitely not coming out on PC then?
We'd only pirate it, amirite? Ubisoft is the most schizophrenic publisher around.

There's still a chance that we'll see it later. Clash of Heroes wasn't even announced for PC until quite a few months after the Live and PSN releases.

Even so, I already put aside my disdain for Ubisoft because I love Ancel's team that much. Bought the PS3 version on sale but I still bought it!

We'd only pirate it, amirite? Ubisoft is the most schizophrenic publisher around.

There's still a chance that we'll see it later. Clash of Heroes wasn't even announced for PC until quite a few months after the Live and PSN releases.

Even so, I already put aside my disdain for Ubisoft because I love Ancel's team that much. Bought the PS3 version on sale but I still bought it!
It's not like it isn't true.

And people already believe it should be 800 msp as it is. They have all the noble cause they need.

Edgeward

Just bought it off of Amazon. Really liked the demo, was a lot of fun and even enjoyed the shmup level.

Now get to work on BG&E2, guys.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The music in the underwater levels is unbelievably good.

I often find myself singing along with the lums (with made up lyrics, of course). The underwater levels are also probably the prettiest. So much color and detail...

Lijik

It doesn't look like it, no. However, the game already runs at 60 FPS at 1080p on consoles, so if you've got a console also and it's purely a performance concern, don't hesitate. I don't really see what a PC version could do to improve this game on the tech side, it's rock solid.

A PC version would increase the likelyhood of the Ubiart tools being released like they talked about when the game was originally announced.

Seik

Banned
Just bought the game for Wii, I'm impressed at how good it looks on Dolphin and it runs great with no slowdowns. Awesome fun game with very fluid animations, that thing is just a breath of fresh air for Rayman, the last one I had interest in was Rayman 3, the whole Raving Rabbids series didn't reached me at all.

Does this game get too difficult for young kids? Bought it for my nephews ages 9 and 7 and I heard it ramps up to get pretty tough. Don't want to give them a game they can't handle.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh man, just beat the tenth red tooth challenge. My hands ache from the death grip I had on the controller, but the chases were so much fun. Now for
The Land of the Livid Dead
, hope it's even more demanding.

goldenpp72

Does this game get too difficult for young kids? Bought it for my nephews ages 9 and 7 and I heard it ramps up to get pretty tough. Don't want to give them a game they can't handle.

It's doable for anyone because of the liberal use of checkpoints, but does get quite difficult, but if it gets too rough have an adult join in and win for them, heh.

wouwie

Finished the "main story" yesterday in single player. The last world was rather challenging. Still need 2 teeth and about 60 lums (haven't done many time trials yet) so there is a lot of gameplay yet to be done.

All in all, i loved the game and it's a serious contender for my GOTY. It's joyful, super polished, fun, looks superb and has an amazing soundtrack. The passion from the team behind this game shines through everywhere.

I always hoped to see a game like this (high quality full length 2D platformer) on hd consoles and it was worth the wait. I hope to see more from this team and in this style but that will ultimately depend on sales, i guess. But thank you Ubisoft for taking this risk.

Tizoc

Oh man, just beat the tenth red tooth challenge. My hands ache from the death grip I had on the controller, but the chases were so much fun. Now for
The Land of the Livid Dead
, hope it's even more demanding.

10th chase wasn't that hard for me =P
...but that stage? Yeah get ready to
go through hell to beat it
pun unintended....

crispyben

My wife and I began playing this yesterday and we finished the first world. We had our characters die simultaneously a few times, and I wondered if the hidden cages get reset when that happens, as the results of these levels seemed a bit off cage-wise... I know you cannot get a game over, but are there any side effects still?

My wife and I began playing this yesterday and we finished the first world. We had our characters die simultaneously a few times, and I wondered if the hidden cages get reset when that happens, as the results of these levels seemed a bit off cage-wise... I know you cannot get a game over, but are there any side effects still?
Dying doesn't matter as far as I'm aware, except in time trial run throughs of the level in which case you have to start all the way at the beginning again.

test_account

XP-39C²
I beaten the game today. The last stage was amazing! Such cool platforming :)

The Land of the Livid Dead is also very great i think, but damn challenging. I probably died 50+ times before i finally made it.

Now i just need to collect all the elctoons and do the time trial stuff (and just a small note on what i said about time trials being difficult before, the reason why i didnt make it when i tried it was because i didnt know that you had to hit that clock icon for the time trial to be activated. I just ran through the level as fast as i could without hitting the clock icon, so no wonder i didnt make it hehe :)).

Top Bottom