• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else have trouble with World 4 - Pirate's Treasure. The end of the level seems glitched? The camera swings right and I can't keep up. Is there any way of beating this?

Is anyone else have trouble with World 4 - Pirate's Treasure. The end of the level seems glitched? The camera swings right and I can't keep up. Is there any way of beating this?
Yeah, I had that problem, although it took me a couple dozen tries to realize it. :p The pirate ship in the background would also load slowly, with various segments of it sort of popping in whenever I would die and the level reloaded. I finally just exited to the world map then tried again, which seemed to solve the problem. From what I read on various message boards that method doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but give it a whirl.

That treasure chest on world 4:

cussing.gif

ARRRRGH

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I had that problem, although it took me a couple dozen tries to realize it. :p The pirate ship in the background would also load slowly, with various segments of it sort of popping in whenever I would die and the level reloaded. I finally just exited to the world map then tried again, which seemed to solve the problem. From what I read on various message boards that method doesn't necessarily work for everyone, but give it a whirl.

The trick, for me, was to go play some world five and then come back. It was then fine.

And oh man, the way the game has opened up following world five -- wowza.

This is a first, my wife just told me she had a video game inspired dream- apparently she was running up walls like in Rayman, haha. This game really has its hooks into her.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh boy, the
Land of the Livid Dead
is no joke. The
vertebrae ride
is kicking my ass, I should take a break but every time I just get a little bit closer. I imagine I still have a ways to go before the end of the level, too....:(

Famassu

Does this game get too difficult for young kids? Bought it for my nephews ages 9 and 7 and I heard it ramps up to get pretty tough. Don't want to give them a game they can't handle.
I don't really see why you couldn't get the game for them even if latter levels are too hard. I mean, tons of people started gaming with games like Battletoads (dem speederbike levels >_<), Ghosts'n Goblins and Mega Man when they were kids (I'm not sure if I ever beat Battletoads or Ghosts'n Goblins, but I still liked playing them). Kids can take a bit of a beating in games and kids also don't mind repetition (as in, if they really like a game, they can play the levels they CAN get through over and over and over... and over).

If they can't do something at first, they'll get better in time and eventually be able to beat the game (of course you or their parents can help them, if they are gamers). Don't make them into wuzzes who only play games they can get through without dying on their first try. ;p

Yuterald

Just got to the second 'real' half of the game. So cool. This game really is great. Not sure if I like it more than the original Rayman, but it's very solid. It ALMOST reaches Donkey Kong Country Returns level too. I just wish the soundtrack was better/more interesting. I don't really like the 'old times' music style or the chipmunk singing. It's not doing anything for me to be honest despite it 'fitting' the games atmosphere and aesthetics.

This game really does have great level design. No segment outstays itself and the stages are designed with speed runs in mind (hopping off of enemies to reach platforms quicker, etc.) Good stuff. Also, this game doesn't feel like a Ubisoft title at all either. And what I mean by that is there are like NO bugs or glitches! It's like the first Ubisoft game I've played with some quality control! Who would have thought!?

Peff

Oh boy, the
Land of the Livid Dead
is no joke. The
vertebrae ride
is kicking my ass, I should take a break but every time I just get a little bit closer. I imagine I still have a ways to go before the end of the level, too....:(

The worm thing that needs split-second reflexes? Yeah, that's nothing :p When you get to the part with fire you'll be very close to the end of the level.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just bet the Land of the Livid Dead. Holy shit. That was fucking intense.

It's weird, I'm getting a credits roll, but I still have game left to play over in the Clouds? Weird

Edit: these are ridiculously excessive credits, Ubisoft.

the water one right? The trick is to be on the right side at the end as close as possible so when the stages shifts to the right you are on the screen. Keep trying you'll get it eventually.
Yeah I can get almost all the way to the end but always fall just short. I'll try again tonight.

Planning to get more into this soon, and so far I'm loving the background/foreground stuff a lot more than I did in DKCR. Artstyle is phenomenal too, and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I'd love to see this get a PC release as well, it'd save me from having to double up for the 360 version.

Got to the second world with the musical instruments, and it's fun bouncing off the bongos. The platforming is getting better now.

I tried going after the first treasure chest in the first world, but it was hard, lol.

test_account

XP-39C²
I finished my last time trial today :) Most of them were fairly ok/easy i think, but
Golly G. Golem
and
Mecha No Mistake
were quite challenging i think, especially the last one.

Lijik

Just did My Heartburn's For You, loved it! What specifically did other people not like about it?

You need to be absolutely perfect for that first section, messing up leads to death essentially every time. Its the most trial and error based section of the entire game, so that might be why.

I loved the stage myself as well! It was really pretty, and I loved how it felt like an expanded treasure chase.

Speaking of treasure chases I played the game with three of my friends last night for the first. I started a new file but when we unlocked the first treasure chase magic happened. The chaos of four players merged with the most chaotic sections of the game just made for the most fun I've had with other people in a game in ages. We promptly ditched the new file and went to mine to play through the chases I had unlocked.
Although one major problem occurred with 4 players, on a smaller screen its really hard to tell the initial two teensies apart. One of my friends just gave up after a while because she kept mixing up the teensies

I just finished the main game, I'm not sure how I feel about this game, it's like simultaneously one of the best platformers i've played yet one of the most faulty.
I don't think I ever truly adjusted to the "feel" of the game.
I guess listing pros and cons would be a good way of getting through my thoughts so with that said...

Pros
- Hilarious multiplayer, probably the best of all the multiplayer platformers i've played
- Great art direction, the characters especially. This also extends to the stage settings, personally I was a fan of the Ice worlds with the fruit motif and the fiery kitchen. I loved how they would take a normal game staple and throw their own crazy twist onto it.
- Music is good across the board, I could have done with less of the high pitched garbling in some of the tracks but it gives the soundtrack it's own identity..
- When the game emphasizes plain old run and jump gameplay it's at its best for the most part, the treasure chases embody this and are possibly the most fun stages in the game.
- Some of the abilities earned worked very well, shrinking and wall running lent themselves to the gameplay very well.
- Bonus rooms variety
- Underwater stages in a platformer that are in fact pretty awesome
- Checkpoint system is very lenient which is much appreciated as this game can be a complete bastard at times
- Levels that fall apart, crazy, dynamic and in some cases mind bending with some great and inspired sections of platforming.
- Controls for movement are very tight and responsive.
- Being able to change characters is nice, each of them have tons of unique animations (well except the other Teensy of course)
- Plenty of stages and replay value

Cons
- Some of the treasure chase/running for your life sections go on far too long for stages/sections without checkpoints, a single minor mistake can completely screw you over and considering these stages are rife with trial and error it's pretty brutal.
- A special shout out to the ending of the 4th world treasure chase, what the hell is with that ending section? I have no idea what I did different the time I actually survived the rogue camera to the other 20 odd attempts. Also those underwater spike things are horrible.
- The game handles a character getting hit horribly, even having a heart is no guarantee of survival due to the erratic bouncing of rayman and friends, sometimes it's like you have temporary invincibility allowing you to take some more spikes to the face while other times you just get a one-two dead combo from said spikes. They should have just gone with the flashing invulnerability approach most platformers go for.
- Levels that fall apart, not enough warning is given as to what's going to fall or where it's going to, since this almost always occurs in mad dashing sections odds are you're going to get crushed sooner or later when factoring in all the crazy stuff going on.
- Rayman occasionally loves walls too much and gets stuck on bits of scenery due to his clinging urges.
- Bosses, fortunately they don't take long to best but like most platformers they seem to be based on the die and retry approach. Not helped that crush deaths are the order of the day rendering the heart mostly useless (or you just get juggle killed).
- Those flying sections overstay their welcome, they even begin to invade the bonus rooms. With 4 players it's an enemy slaughter and a bore, in single player it goes from "hah, an easy 300 lums" to "how the hell am I going to collect 300 lums?". Point is i'd rather be platforming.
- A gripe solely for myself here but damn I don't like being graded on collecting stuff during a stage, it takes my attention off playing to complete the level to it becoming a collectathon, the coins I like finding as they require some thinking and exploring, nabbing all the standard lums in the vicinity not so much for various reasons, in case anyone's wondering I don't like it much in Yoshi's Island either. In mutiplayer this becomes a pro by the way, both for bragging rights and for assistance in nabbing lums.

I would recommend this game on the whole, the world needs more retail 2D platformers, the things holding it back for me boil down to some brutal difficulty spikes and that "off feeling" I have with the jumping at times. Both of those are very much a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing (see waggle roll in DKCR for example, i'm fine with it, others can't stand it) so if you plan on giving it a shot I suggest you go for it.

yurinka

Downloaded the PS3 demo.
It's beautiful, but won't pay 60 bucks for it. This pricing is plain dumb.
From what I saw in the demo, this game doesn't offers me nothing I miss in other $10/$15 downloadable platform games.
Pros
- Hilarious multiplayer, probably the best of all the multiplayer platformers i've played
I suggest you to play LBP / LBP2 or NSMBWii with 3 friends.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
game is fucking wowsome. Just played through the first world with my girlfriend. Chasing the Treasure Chest thing was the most exhilarating 2d platform I've done in years.

I think they've far outshone the New Super Mario Bros series here. Its just... ooh its just good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
From what I saw in the demo, this game doesn't offers me nothing I miss in other $10/$15 downloadable platform games.

Having actually played the game, that's completely untrue. It has as much or more content and replayability as any other game I've bought this holiday season. I don't understand why a platformer is worth less than another shooter or a sandbox game.

epmode

If you know other platformers anywhere near the quality of Rayman for $15, please share. The only one I can think of is Super Meat Boy.

BeeDog

Goddamn, even the first treasure chest is kicking my ass. Can't figure out how to do the first bigger jump, since my character can't catch enough speed before having to jump.

Downloaded the PS3 demo.

I suggest you to play LBP / LBP2 or NSMBWii with 3 friends.

Why is Mario worth the money but not Rayman?

test_account

XP-39C²
Is there a bug on
To Bubbilize a Mocking Bird
? I cant for the life of me get 150 Lums on that level even if i kill those 5 birds. I have tried to look on Youtube, but people just avoid those 5 birds because it is easier to complete the level then.

Downloaded the PS3 demo.
You're missing out on a great game in my opinion. I'm glad i bought it at full price. I have probably gotten at least 10 hours of game time out of it so far, and that is a good length as other $60 games also offers :)

Goddamn, even the first treasure chest is kicking my ass. Can't figure out how to do the first bigger jump, since my character can't catch enough speed before having to jump.
Hold the sprint button all the time :)

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
What do the Lums say when you collect the King Lum?

Me and my girlfriend can't figure it out... it's either "Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba Ba" as in just a repeated sound... or as we prefer to sing it "Fun Fun Fun Fun Fun Fun Fun."

Anyone know what they're singing?

The worm thing that needs split-second reflexes? Yeah, that's nothing :p When you get to the part with fire you'll be very close to the end of the level.

That part was awesome in totally crazy way :). I really didn't like the last boss. Was it just me or was it extremely low res as well. It seemed like they re used Wii version for that part.

Tizoc

Is there a bug on
? I cant for the life of me get 150 Lums on that level even if i kill those 5 birds. I have tried to look on Youtube, but people just avoid those 5 birds because it is easier to complete the level then.

I haven't replayed that stage yet but I THINK it's possible that the boss will summon more birds if you don't attack it.

Amir0x

Banned
man i would take a whole Rayman game like these treasure box chase segments :(

If an entire game was like that, it might actually par with Super Meat Boy. As it stands, easily the fourth best platformer this generation. What an amazing return for Rayman.

test_account

XP-39C²
I haven't replayed that stage yet but I THINK it's possible that the boss will summon more birds if you don't attack it.
Ah, i never tried that. Hopefully that is the case because you dont get enough Lums by just killing those 5 birds (which alone is near impossible for me, i've actually never been able to kill all 5 birds and then survive, i have always died right after that (by falling down), but i can see that i dont get enough Lums for killing just those 5 birds). I will try it tomorrow, thanks! :)

Tizoc

Ah, i never tried that. Hopefully that is the case because you dont get enough Lums by just killing those 5 birds (which alone is near impossible for me, i've actually never been able to kill all 5 birds and then survive, i have always died right after that (by falling down), but i can see that i dont get enough Lums for killing just those 5 birds). I will try it tomorrow, thanks! :)

Try to hit the middle bird, if you do, it should hit the other birds and give you some bonus lums~

So if you don't hit the bird on it's first attack, it'll drop eggs. Smash the eggs for 5 or 10 lums each (I forget). Keep repeating this until you have enough lums, then finish off the boss.

test_account

XP-39C²
Try to hit the middle bird, if you do, it should hit the other birds and give you some bonus lums~
I've tried that, but usually i end up just killing 3 or 4 of them. There is always one or two that gets away hehe :\ Maybe i'm not hitting right on the middle one though, because i see that they are flying in arrow formation, so it looks like setting of a chain reaction is possible.

So if you don't hit the bird on it's first attack, it'll drop eggs. Smash the eggs for 5 or 10 lums each (I forget). Keep repeating this until you have enough lums, then finish off the boss.
Great, thanks! :) I'm just missing 4 or 5 levels where i need to collect maximum Lums. Then i have completed everything 100% :D

I hate to be negative in this thread, but after initially loving it and I just started to not like it as much. I'm on world 4, and I have no desire to play any more of it.

I think the art style is fantastic and the mechanics are great, but there is something about the game that just doesn't feel cohesive. It's like each level belongs to a different game.

Maybe I'm just not into 2D games anymore (granted, I always preferred 3D to 2D). I bought this and Sonic Generations at the same time and I'm liking Sonic a lot more. It's too bad I couldn't get more into it, since I really wanted to like it.

man i would take a whole Rayman game like these treasure box chase segments :(

If an entire game was like that, it might actually par with Super Meat Boy. As it stands, easily the fourth best platformer this generation. What an amazing return for Rayman.

of course when you say fourth i have to hear your top 4.

BeeDog

Is there a bug on

You're missing out on a great game in my opinion. I'm glad i bought it at full price. I have probably gotten at least 10 hours of game time out of it so far, and that is a good length as other $60 games also offers :)

Hold the sprint button all the time :)

Doesn't help, since the character doesn't catch enough speed before having to jump. I figured it out either way (you had to do a running attack to get a boost).

Lijik

My hatred for Super Meat Boy rivals my hatred of DNF

Considering your love for Rayman and your complaints about SMB I dont see why.
Theres about as much trial and error in SMB as there is in Rayman Origins, and both games have extremely similar level and game design philosophies. If the stages in SMB were bunched together as "rooms" in longer levels, I'd call it the closest game to Rayman Origins as opposed to the DKCR comparison people are fond of making (and isn't a bad one when it comes to speed running tbh)

Rayman Origins doesn't make me want to kill myself or question how any of this is fun to anybody. Just a frustrating, stupid, ugly pile of shit.

Oh man, totally forgot to post in this thread after I got Rayman Origins... Roughly a week and a half late since my store sort of mucked up my Collector's Edition preorder, and I really wanted that art book and soundtrack
without having to download it

Absolutely fantastic game so far, though I'm finding it significantly easier than quite a few other platformer returns have been (100%-ing this game has so far been far easier than DKCR and SMB were for instance, though the former punishes you pretty harshly for fucking anything up). Still have roughly 3 more worlds and Land of the Livid Dead to go though, so maybe it ramps up from there? Hardly that big a deal though since I've already had my fair share of 'insanely difficult platformers' this generation; I'm just happy to finally get a proper Rayman game after nearly 10 years which looks, feels and sounds as great as Rayman 2 did back when I was 8 years old.

Also damn quite a bit of shit got cut from that E3 trailer and even on the boxart. Where's the whole 'birth of Rayman' thing they hyped up during 2010 stuff like the zombie chickens from Rayman 2 you can even see on the cover? I realize this is insanely pedantic and it hardly bothers me but I can't think of a single major Rayman game which doesn't have a shit load of content in advertisements and promotional material that either doesn't get in the game or in Rabbid's case is flat out showing screens from what was technically an unrelated project (Rayman 4).

Top Bottom