• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Synless

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
You didn't get a soundtrack? That sucks.
I didn't either, they also told me it was all in the box. The sheet with the codes lists the soundtrack on it. Putting the code in only nets you assassins gear.

bounchfx

about 30 minutes in. really enjoying it so far, but it's fucking hit or miss on some stuff. the lighting can look good or AWFUL. most of the time pretty bad, it's like they aren't baking in any of the shadows into the textures, so most of the stuff looks really flat. other times it's pretty as hell. the character models are fantastic too.

but the hair is awful.. and so is the grass and terrain in the distance, at least in the first town. yuck.

but yeah it's pretty bad ass so far, really enjoying it.

Downhome

BenjaminBirdie said:
Y'all need to read closer. The soundtrack is downloadable. It says so right on the same sheet you get the outfit code on.

Good eye. It says:

To download the digital version of the Red Dead Redemption Original Score, visit ... and enter the above code.

BigMack

HorribleJames said:
had a midnight release all by myself at home, if you know what I mean
veronicasicon.jpg

HMC

Couple quick impressions...

Small, controlled multiplayer shootout games feel alot like the gunfights in the old Western shows like Gunsmoke. Taking pot shots from various rooftops and dashing/sliding from cover to cover with that distinctive old west riccochet sound all around you is just awesome. The quality of the cover system is a very nice surprise.

I also love how you can extrapolate where the action is by running towards whichever direction all the critters are running from.

I didn't read much media beforehand, didn't know the multiplayer characters would have different loadouts. I got stuck with this fat American Army character who only had a shotty and a pistol...but he seemed to be able to take more damage. Ended up having my best game with that tank, dude was a beast in CQ.

R* knocked the immersion factor out of the park.

Odrion

Banned
20 hour campaign sounds great. GTA4 suffered from dragging on waaaaay too long (even if you ignored the side missions it was still crazy long.)

Johningame

Neo Member
HMC said:
I also love how you can extrapolate where the action is by running towards whichever direction all the critters are running from.

Thank you, HMC--this is the kind of insightful impression I like to read before I go pick up a game.

Keep 'em comin'! <-- that's cowboy speak

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Gotdammit I won't be able to play this until thurs or friday, you bastards better wait for me to start, it's not fair.

GreekWolf

Snuggler said:
Gotdammit I won't be able to play this until thurs or friday, you bastards better wait for me to start, it's not fair.
By Friday, people will have level 300 outlaws that could blow the pecker off Billy the Kid.

Better grab your copy tomorrow.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
(360-installed)

-Game looks great in the daytime, nighttime not so much.
-Framerate is Rockstar quality. It's the usual 25-30fps, but drops often.
-No tearing that I could see.
-Huge "living" world. Great sense of immersion.
-Controls are janky as expected, but better than GTA4.
-They're not terrible, but also far from tight.
-Fucking terrible non-analog run/walk again. This is not 1998.
-If not using the "Normal" aiming type, it can be quite irritating because sometimes it's difficult to see where you're getting shot from as you can't lock on to anyone. It seems balanced for Normal.
-"Normal" aiming has quite a bit of "tracking" as well as autoaim, which is disappointing.

Everything other than the controls is pretty top notch. It's a shame that one of the most important things in the game isn't as polished as the rest.

FrankT

Did I say pudding was for dinner early. Pshhh, more like steak and lobster tonight amirite;

4vk4du.jpg

Drinks on me. :D

HorribleJames said:
had a midnight release all by myself at home, if you know what I mean

o_O

Now that y'all are getting your copies, I gotta ask.

How does the outfit for the Deadly Assasin work? Is that something you download and have immediately, and is unlockable in game some other way, or are those challenges listed on the gamestop site required to unlock it even after putting in the code, and that it's totally unavailable without the pre-order bonus?

Synless

Jtyettis said:
Did I say pudding was for dinner early. Pshhh, more like steak and lobster tonight amirite;

4vk4du.jpg

I hope you can enjoy Alan wake, it was my biggest disappointment this year. Red Dead has been great so far.

Quincey

Banned
Jtyettis said:

4vk4du.jpg

o_O

I will be having that exact meal, but i have to wait until friday for finals to end :(

I asked this in the Alan Wake thread, but anyone that ordered from Wally World have an expected arrival date of May 26th-28th? I know I am not going to get it at launch, but a 10 day shipping length seems ridiculous.

And fuck me, should have gotten the collector's edition of wake.

Nista

Just got back with my copy from Gamestop here in Baltimore. Now I get to play it on my mom's lousy non-HD tv. I really need to buy them a better tv before I visit next time!

But at least the text seems readable on 4:3. :)

Dresden

Twenty more minutes.

Oh, man. Goddamn. No work and finals are done... think I'll stay up all night with a pot of coffee and some McDonald's trash to stuff down. Fuck yeah.

Johningame

Neo Member
alr1ghtstart said:
(360-installed)

-Game looks great in the daytime, nighttime not so much.
-Framerate is Rockstar quality. It's the usual 25-30fps, but drops often.
-No tearing that I could see.
-Huge "living" world. Great sense of immersion.
-Controls are janky as expected, but better than GTA4.
-They're not terrible, but also far from tight.
-Fucking terrible non-analog run/walk again. This is not 1998.
-If not using the "Normal" aiming type, it can be quite irritating because sometimes it's difficult to see where you're getting shot from as you can't lock on to anyone. It seems balanced for Normal.
-"Normal" aiming has quite a bit of "tracking" as well as autoaim, which is disappointing.

Everything other than the controls is pretty top notch. It's a shame that one of the most important things in the game isn't as polished as the rest.

Thanks for taking the time.

Now where's the PS3 impressions at?

GreekWolf

Synless said:
I hope you can enjoy Alan wake, it was my biggest disappointment this year. Red Dead has been great so far.
AW looks to be one of those polarizing titles, like MGS4. You either adore it or loathe it, with very few opinions in-between.

Johningame said:
Now where's the PS3 impressions at?
Magus has given detailed PS3 impressions all through this thread. Scroll back a few pages.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Y'all need to read closer. The soundtrack is downloadable. It says so right on the same sheet you get the outfit code on.

Wow, it's pretty shitty they didn't mention that earlier. I figured it would be coming with an actual CD.

Synless said:
No, I watched the first two chapters at my friends house. Looked repetitive.

This post makes me want to vomit out of annoyance.

At least play the game before making a judgment. Why didn't your friend let you play? Don't tell me you're one of those guys who watches the entire story on YouTube.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't believe how cool this game is so far.

I cannot afford the newspaper, come back when you have a dollar kid! :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
PS3 impressions

- Game looks fine resolution wise
- Lack of or poorly implemented AA (AKA, lots of jaggies)
- Motion Blur (I'm not a graphics expert, but if you spin the camera around, the screen becomes blurry, and that's the motion blur effect right?)
- Frame-rate is fine, with probable relatively minor dips (so far)
- A few glitches
- Ground looks terrible, just like GTA IV
- Controls on the horse take a bit of getting used to and are a little loose.
- Controlling the character in terms of run/walk sucks because all you can do is walk or run, no inbetween
- None of this matters
- Game is hella fun
- Riding a horse is fun
- Shooting is fun
- Fun fun fun dammit
- No one should worry about getting it on either platform, just pick whichever system you like better, or whichever system isn't broken, or whichever system doesn't talk back, or any other mudnane reason, because the game is fine.
- GameSpy online for PS3 works fine, I know there was some worry about that too.

HUZZAH!

Synless

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
This post makes me want to vomit out of annoyance.

At least play the game before making a judgment. Why didn't your friend let you play? Don't tell me you're one of those guys who watches the entire story on YouTube.
I don't have to play the entire game or even play it to clearly see its fucking repetitive and that I wont like it.

Top Bottom