• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

owlbeak

magicaltrevor said:
I would do the same, but all of my friends (the ones that I want to play online with) own a PS3. =/

Developers reading this thread: TAKE NOTE, damnit.
Understandable. Most of the dudes I play with have both systems but we rarely play anything on PS3 except Killzone 2. The lack of any sort of sensible friends and chat system is unforgivable. And Sony's complete disregard for it is infuriating.

But anyway.........

Flib

MidnightRider said:
so being I never got a straight answer......

SOMEONE WHO IS WEARING THE DEADLY ASSASSIN OUTFIT ---- HOW DID YOU PUT IT ON? I HAVE SET DOWN AT CAMP NUMEROUS TIMES AND STILL CAN'T PUT IT ON. I HAVEN'T BEEN TO MY SAFEHOUSE BACK IN ARMIDILLO AND AM CURRENTLY AT WORK AND NOT HOME TO PLAY. WOULD LOVE TO GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER BY SOMEONE WHO IS WEARING THE OUTFIT SO I TOO CAN WEAR IT WHEN I GET OFF OF WORK.

THANKS!!!

:D

This was answered earlier in the thread, but unlocking it with the code only allows you to get it in game, it doesn't give it to you. If you go into the outfits menu (in the start menu), go to the Deadly Assassin page and it will give you a list of things you have to do to unlock it. Outfits have like 6 steps to go through to unlock them, it's pretty cool.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So I turned the radio on this morning on my way to work and the local "alternative" radio station had Lazlow from Rockstar talking about RDR. (I didn't know he still worked with them).

Lazlow demo'd the game and took some phone calls but unfortunately the station's demographic is mostly meat heads and no good questions were asked (someone actually asked if the game was out for PS2 because he wanted to buy it for his kid). Lazlow made a funny comment how Rockstar only makes MA rated games and that he hoped the guys kid was 17 or older. That same guy then asked if the game had "whores".

:lol

Flib said:
This was answered earlier in the thread, but unlocking it with the code only allows you to get it in game, it doesn't give it to you. If you go into the outfits menu (in the start menu), go to the Deadly Assassin page and it will give you a list of things you have to do to unlock it. Outfits have like 6 steps to go through to unlock them, it's pretty cool.

That's pretty cool....

Zero Hero

magicaltrevor said:
Great (And o, I didn't know that!)...

So again: Fuck you, Rockstar, for not incorporating cross-game invites.
And fuck you Sony, for not making this shit mandatory.

4 years later and people are still mad about this? :lol :lol

Barrett2

I can't get into free roam. It keeps saying i was removed from session due to connection issues. Then after that i get a never ending loading screen. :/

belvedere said:
So I turned the radio on this morning on my way to work and the local "alternative" radio station had Lazlow from Rockstar talking about RDR. (I didn't know he still worked with them).

Lazlow demo'd the game and took some phone calls but unfortunately the station's demographic is mostly meat heads and no good questions were asked (someone actually asked if the game was out for PS2 because he wanted to buy it for his kid). Lazlow made a funny comment how Rockstar only makes MA rated games and that he hoped the guys kid was 17 or older. That same guy then asked if the game had "whores".
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
OMG the theater is hilarious. I just watched the film where the salesman sells miracle cures. This one guy who has worms and needs a woman walks up. He takes this solution which is like liquid cocaine. Starts to hump the air, shits out the worm, chases a woman and runs into a tree only to proceded to hump it hardcore lmao. And the way the movies are done is so old fasioned, like silent movies with the piano playing. They did an amazing job drawing the cartoons to make it look and feel like that time period.

Man, I rarely bitch about the small stuff, but wow is that f'ing text hard to read?? Dude, it's more illegible than Dead Rising, and that's saying something.

I can barely make out like "press (x) to perform a shoot-over-the-shoulder-while-on-horseback maneuver" and I'm like awesome, if only I could tell what button that is. I'm slightly annoyed that some games are developed for 60" monstervision sets, when I have a mid-30s screen from the early 2000s and it screws me.

I think it was Moby whose philosophy was: make your music sound so good that it would be awesome even on the world's shittiest boombox.

Ah well, what are you gonna do?

forrest

formerly nacire
It's probably been posted(huge thread already) but does anyone know where the soundtrack is with the limited edition version gamestop was selling? Is it on the disc? I didn't see anything about downloading from anywhere in the insert.

UrbanRats

So i guess i'm out of this thread for a week or so.
It's been a lot of fun, but i might want to let the hype boil down a bit in this week prior the EU realese, and reading about awesome stuff happening ingame to USers, could be counterproductive. :lol

Hanmik

I´m so jealous of you guys right now...

this is my story... skip it if you want to.. it´s just a pissed hanmik doing some useless rambling..

------------------------
I live in the Faroe Islands (part of Denmark, but situated miles away from Denmark)..
Tried to find the game in some stores up here.. Because we have some shit delivery terms up here, it always is like this with games:

- We get the game a week before the danish/uk launch, because the games are launched on a thursday or friday in Denmark, and the boats with the games arrive on mondays. And the stores couldn´t care less about launch dates.

OR

- We get the game 1 or 2 weeks later. Because the game is delivered to the shops the same day, or a day earlier, than the launch date. So if a game Launches Thursday or Friday, it will arrive the next monday in the shops. Or if we are unlucky a week later.

knowing all this I try to track down the game. Drove to 4 different shops, who all sell PS3 games, but have different places they order from (some from Denmark others from The UK). But none of the shops had the game.
Hmm.. I was beggining to wonder why. So I picked up my phone and called all the shops.
This is what they ALL told me.

The game will arrive in Denmark and the UK the 28th. of May. So we will get the game a week later than that. Which will be around the 1st. of June.

I kindly tell them that they must be misinformed. And I tell them about the story from last week with gamestop and other stores in Denmark and Sweden.
2 of the bigger stores agreed to check up on that. they would call the company they buy the games from (one of them is the same as Elgiganten in Denmark, the other is Experten).
First Elgiganten calls me back. It´s still listed to the 28th. of May in all their stores.
Then Experten calls me back. he also says that it is listed to arrive in Denmark on the 28th. of May. And he also tells me, that the guy he contacted wrote an email to Rockstars partners in Denmark today, because they where in doubt after I had filled them in. he got an email back from Rockstars partner in Denmark, and they say that they have underestimated the impact of the game. So there is BIG shortage in all of Scandinavia and possible everywhere in Europe..
He told me that he will keep track of the situation on daily bases, and report back to me if the situation changes ..

So here I am.. on the Fucking Faroe Islands.. and I will probably not get this game before the 2nd. of June.

DeuceMojo said:
Man, I rarely bitch about the small stuff, but wow is that f'ing text hard to read?? Dude, it's more illegible than Dead Rising, and that's saying something.

I can barely make out like "press (x) to perform a shoot-over-the-shoulder-while-on-horseback maneuver" and I'm like awesome, if only I could tell what button that is. I'm slightly annoyed that some games are developed for 60" monstervision sets, when I have a mid-30s screen from the early 2000s and it screws me.

I think it was Moby whose philosophy was: make your music sound so good that it would be awesome even on the world's shittiest boombox.

Ah well, what are you gonna do?

HD or SD? I'm playing on a PC monitor and while the text is small-ish I haven't had any trouble reading it.

Gravijah

Joe Shlabotnik said:
HD or SD? I'm playing on a PC monitor and while the text is small-ish I haven't had any trouble reading it.

I'm playing on an SDTV and it's fine. Way easier to see than Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2.

belvedere said:
Tight. If radio in my area was cool like this, I might even listen to it. As it stands, you have basically two choices in radio now: KEXP-types that are so too cool for school they wouldn't dare touch a video game... and then the one Clear Channel station that's broadcast in 511 locales.
belvedere said:
...That same guy then asked if the game had "whores".
Love it. Sound like straight out of GTA.

CozMick

Banned
Gravijah said:
Does anyone have a 48 hour XBOX live code? I want to see how well this bridged connection works. I'll return the favor once I get my hands on another 48 hour code, or pay it forward to someone else. If so please PM me. Don't want to beg for shit but I need to see how well it works before I go out and buy XBOX live.

Check your PM

Simo

Good god mutli is awesome! :D

So last night me and 3 other friends hit Gamestop's midnight launch, which had a fairly good turnout if not more than that for God of War 3, and then promptly headed home and jumped into Free Roam with my buddies. Everything was a little overwhelming at first but in the span of 10 minutes I'm involved in a gang hideout raid while facing down other players and blasting a Rockstar dev in the face to get my Red Dead Rockstar achievement. :lol

Controls did take some getting used like the cover mechanics but after a couple of free for all shootouts, everything clicked into place and I was racking up my killstreaks.

Biggest "WOW" moment came when me and friends were heading off to a gang hideout and we see lighting flashing behind clouds in the distance followed by thunder a few seconds behind. We head off in that direction and before we knew it we're in a full on thunderstorm that's lighting up a mine full of banditos. I can't wait to get on after work and I haven't even touched single player.

sdornan

Gravijah said:
Does anyone have a 48 hour XBOX live code? I want to see how well this bridged connection works. I'll return the favor once I get my hands on another 48 hour code, or pay it forward to someone else. If so please PM me. Don't want to beg for shit but I need to see how well it works before I go out and buy XBOX live.
PMed

ckohler

Played Free Roam with my friend last night for about three hours. Some things we noticed:
  • Any bounty you accrue goes away after you respawn
  • The trains don't appear to run :(
  • Found a saloon with people but many other places (ranch houses, etc.) were empty
  • Attacking gang hideouts and hunting together is fun
  • Found a broken down Model T (couldn't interact with it)
  • F'ing cougars kill you more than anything else
  • Clouds cast their shadows across the prairies

neorej said:
What were the survivalist challenges again?

I've got hunting and herbalism, but I'm pretty sure there were more.

Haven't even started that yet......

also haven't finsihed GoW III (your AV made me think about it)

ckohler said:
Played Free Roam with my friend last night for about three hours. Some things we noticed:

• [*]Any bounty you accrue goes away after you respawn
  • The trains don't appear to run :(
  • Found a saloon with people but many other places (ranch houses, etc.) were empty
  • Attacking gang hideouts and hunting together is fun
    [*]Found a broken down Model T (couldn't interact with it)
    [*]F'ing cougars kill you more than anything else
  • Clouds cast their shadows across the prairies

That's crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

ckohler said:
[*]The trains don't appear to run :(
I really hope you just didn't notice them. I was hoping the free mode wasn't lacking anything the regular world is and who doesn't want to rob a train with a friend online? Nobody, that's who.

Zeliard said:
To those playing it, how are the random encounters around the world like? Are they varied/interesting?

I ran into a guy way out in the middle of no where begging me for a ride......

shot him in the leg and as he tried to get away i shot him in the other leg.........

only to finish him off with a shot to the back of the head.....

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Zeliard said:
To those playing it, how are the random encounters around the world like? Are they varied/interesting?

I wonder this too, GTA IV had some amazing random encounters. Especially the
serial killer
That shit was heavy!

Filldough

So I got to play for about an hour and a half after getting back from the midnight launch and I fucking love it so far. I was going to call in sick today but was thwarted by investor calls that I have to set up! The thing I remember most last night was the lighting, being outside at night under the stars. It was awesome. Street lamps glowing, I cant wait to play more. Story seems interesting, Marston is a cool character, and so far the supporting characters are good. Its funny but the scenery just screams epic. Its like everywhere you look you get the sense that there is an adventure waiting. Fucking love the old west setting so much. Oh man, work is going to be torture today....

Hanmik said:
nope.. as far as I can see all stores in Denmark will not get the PS3 version before the 28th. of May..

Sorry to hear that.

My shitty campus internet won't allow me to play this (or any other game) online, so I am in pain too. Take comfort in the fact that even though you have to wait, there are worse things to deal with (gaming wise :p ).

Top Bottom