• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

ckohler said:
Played Free Roam with my friend last night for about three hours. Some things we noticed:
  • The trains don't appear to run :(
Hah, I stopped at a station off in Tall Woods and jumped on (or hit the TRAVEL button really) and said I wanted to go to Armadillo.

It immediately disconnected me from multiplayer and automatically started the single player campaign where I eventually arrived in Armadillo... by train. :lol

It was too much for my brain to take at 2am.

ckohler

BobTheFork said:
I really hope you just didn't notice them. I was hoping the free mode wasn't lacking anything the regular world is and who doesn't want to rob a train with a friend online? Nobody, that's who.
It's possible but I'm pretty sure they don't. Aside from the gang hideouts and wildlife, Free Roam isn't too different than GTA IV's lobby, to be honest. Same limitations: Mini-games inaccessible, trains (subway in GTA IV) don't run, can't take a carriage (taxi in GTA IV), etc. You can't even loot bodies for money or skin animals in Free Roam. You do make money for doing things but I'm not sure why if you can't spend it. There are challenges and things to to do but it's not the same as what I've seen in single player videos.

I just picked up the game here in Canada, and I can confirm that the exclusive content is available here as well (PS3).
Sorry if it was confirmed before, this thread moves fast

Zeliard said:
To those playing it, how are the random encounters around the world like? Are they varied/interesting?
Some of the stuff is surprising and kinda funny. It takes a minute to get used to the horse riding HUD, and you'll be surprised the first time
you're bucked off your steed into the dust because you've been riding him too hard
. :lol At least I got a kick out of it.

ckohler said:
It's possible but I'm pretty sure they don't. Aside from the gang hideouts and wildlife, Free Roam isn't too different than GTA IV's lobby, to be honest. Same limitations: Mini-games inaccessible, trains (subway in GTA IV) don't run, can't take a carriage (taxi in GTA IV), etc. You can't even loot bodies for money or skin animals in Free Roam. You do make money for doing things but I'm not sure why if you can't spend it. There are challenges and things to to do but it's not the same as what I've seen in single player videos.
ugh that kind of sucks, I was hoping we could at least still skin animals with a partner. We can still tagteam and kill a bear can't we?

ckohler

Gravijah said:
Was the map sectioned off or did you guys have it completely open?
The map was totally open. We wandered for hours just exploring. We didn't go down into Mexico (stayed north of river) but we found at least one bridge that allowed access across the river.

Salz01

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
It does seem a bit shitty but I can imagine that would be a very hard thing to happen development wise.

Thinking about it more, maybe they will release some DLC that has a mission for it. Train robbing with friends would be epic.

Zeliard

ckohler said:
The map was totally open. We wandered for hours just exploring. We didn't go down into Mexico (stayed north of river) but we found at least one bridge that allowed access across the river.

Mostly depends on individual connections, but does multiplayer generally run well, performance-wise?

I can confirm that the PS3 version runs at a native resolution of 1280x720 :D

Red_Dead_Redemption_ps3_review_i-000.jpg

There ya go.. That's a direct screen-cap from the game.. Check the resolution. See? 720p

More 720p screens can be seen here: http://n4g.com/news/clickout/525442

Gravijah said:
We gonna have GAF rooms going on PS3/360 so people can jump into a free roam session without the hell of randoms?

This this.

We must do this.

My experience online in MH3 has been 1,000,000 times better because of exclusively playing with GAF.

This. This please.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
enkeixpress said:
I can confirm that the PS3 version runs at a native resolution of 1280x720 :D

http://www.videogameszone.de/screenshots/original/2010/05/Red_Dead_Redemption_ps3_review_i-000.jpg/IMG]

There ya go.. That's a direct screen-cap from the game.. Check the resolution. See? 720p

More 720p screens can be seen here: [urlhttp://n4g.com/news/clickout/525442[/url][/QUOTE]

STOP.

ckohler said:
You can't even loot bodies for money or skin animals in Free Roam. You do make money for doing things but I'm not sure why if you can't spend it. There are challenges and things to to do but it's not the same as what I've seen in single player videos.
I got this feeling too. I killed about 20 birds/cougars/boars and felt that I wasn't really doing much because it just resulted in less bullets and more carcasses. No skinning, collecting, etc.

I hope the "no comment" that came from Rockstar about gambling means that it's there somewhere. Turning the game into a bit of an MMORPG with money, stores, persistent stats, posses, etc. would be cool. But I'm withholding judgment until I join a posse and go hunting, hideout-clearing and brawling.

F'ing cougars kill you more than anything else
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. Let them buy you a couple drinks, then take them to bed - it can be exhausting and exhilarating, but you should never confuse a cougar's enthusiasm for malcontent.

Salz01 said:
Thinking about it more, maybe they will release some DLC that has a mission for it. Train robbing with friends would be epic.

not sure if you've heard, but coop missions are on there way as DLC for free. The first pack is free with I believe 6 missions, 3 of which were detailed and sound great. The coop DLC packs afterward will be paid DLC.

I'm thinking one of the DLC packs will include coop minigames and other challenges since during that Kotaku chat a dev was asked if the minigames will be playable in freeroam and his answer was "no comment" or something similar.

enkeixpress said:
No joke.. That's the PS3 version's native resolution in the game.. 720p

Take that 360 fanboys! :D

relax. most gamers are glad to hear this, no need to start something.

edit: aaannnddd he's gone....mods ban skills are quicker than the cougars in this game.

owlbeak

DeuceMojo said:
I got this feeling too. I killed about 20 birds/cougars/boars and felt that I wasn't really doing much because it just resulted in less bullets and more carcasses. No skinning, collecting, etc.

I hope the "no comment" that came from Rockstar about gambling means that it's there somewhere. Turning the game into a bit of an MMORPG with money, stores, persistent stats, posses, etc. would be cool. But I'm withholding judgment until I join a posse and go hunting, hideout-clearing and brawling.
History says that "no comment" means, "No, but we don't want people to not buy our game, so...."

kaskade

There's a thread for that stuff. Can we just have peace and some good old Red Dead discussion.?

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting it tonight. I should have enough cash for this week. I'm sitting here at work just reading every review.:lol

ckohler

BobTheFork said:
ugh that kind of sucks, I was hoping we could at least still skin animals with a partner. We can still tagteam and kill a bear can't we?
More than likely. We didn't go that far north. We hunted birds, rabbits, deer and cougars. Seriously guys, cougars are crazy fierce almost to the point of being annoying. You'll be walking along minding your own business and *BAM* a cougar will kill you from behind with one pounce. Gotta watch out for those things.

Zeliard said:
Mostly depends on individual connections, but does multiplayer generally run well, performance-wise?
Worked fine for us but we were in a private Free Roam though with just two people so I don't know how well it does with 16. As with GTA IV, dead bodies and such are synced but are done client-side. So if you die, any old bodies on the ground will no longer be there when you respawn but still visible to your friend who lived. Stuff like that.

Also, shooting a horse in the head is actually kinda sad. :( Shooting other animals wasn't a big deal but my friend shot my horse in the face as a test and I kinda felt bad about it. Of course, you can just whistle and summon another which is my friend's biggest beef with the game because it's such a contrived video-game mechanic. We both understand the need but it does kinda make owning/stealing horses to get around meaningless.. unless you want a better one.

Salz01

Drinking Hatorade said:
not sure if you've heard, but coop missions are on there way as DLC for free. The first pack is free with I believe 6 missions, 3 of which were detailed and sound great. The coop DLC packs afterward will be paid DLC.

I'm thinking one of the DLC packs will include coop minigames and other challenges since during that Kotaku chat a dev was asked if the minigames will be playable in freeroam and his answer was "no comment" or something similar.

Yes, Thank you. I've seen the description. They have so far mentioned 3 of the 6 missions. I'm hoping that the remainder 3 might have something to do with a train. If not, then maybe future PDLC will have it. Either way, it would be cool.

The_Inquisitor said:
Anyone gotten the R* achievement yet? I am worried since I will not be getting this game till next week I will never have a chance to get it.
it's viral, everyone will have it in a week and you'll probably get it on the first game.
Where the hell is UPS, they usually swing by here early in the day :/

PLAYING CARD GET!:
i went to walmart last night at Franklin Mills in Philadelphia to try to score those sweet Red Dead playing cards.

I had NOT preordered the game there. I ended up leaving empty handed because the employee didnt know what i was talking about. Even those few who showed up to the midnight launch didn't receive them.

Point being that I went there this morning and they actually had the cards. I had to buy the game bto get them, but will return the game later since i preordered off amazon... Just letting anyone in the area know that they might still have them if you show up today.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Why are people still bringing up PS3 vs. X360 crap in this thread?
Don't we have a dedicated thread for such banter?

Because these people have an unspoken desire to be killed in their sleep.

~ Zyzomys ~ said:
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. Let them buy you a couple drinks, then take them to bed - it can be exhausting and exhilarating, but you should never confuse a cougar's enthusiasm for malcontent.

+1 for you.

MrCompletely said:
i got it, its viral, everyone will get it - it will be extremely easy

When I don't get it after a year of playing, you and me will be "talking".

I have terrible luck with such things.

So I just started playing. Is it possible to
win the horse race against Bonny near the start of the game? She leaves me in the dust every time.
. I'm not sure if I'm controlling the horse correctly.

Zeliard

ckohler said:
Also, shooting a horse in the head is actually kinda sad. :( Shooting other animals wasn't a big deal but my friend shot my horse in the face as a test and I kinda felt bad about it. Of course, you can just whistle and summon another which is my friend's biggest beef with the game because it's such a contrived video-game mechanic. We both understand the need but it does kinda make owning/stealing horses to get around meaningless.. unless you want a better one.

Hrm, yeah, that is unfortunate. I'm gonna try to stick with one horse as much as I can just for attachment's sake, but it sucks on some level that you can just whistle and have any other random horse just pop up (if I'm understanding you correctly).

I can understand why they did it from a gameplay perspective, especially since the world is so huge, but it's one of those things that definitely hurts the immersion.

Gravijah

ThirstyFly said:
So I just started playing. Is it possible to
win the horse race against Bonny near the start of the game? She leaves me in the dust every time.
. I'm not sure if I'm controlling the horse correctly.

Tap A to get speed up, hold it when your stamina is slow. Always run on the trail or you lose speed.

Zeliard said:
Hrm, yeah, that is unfortunate. I'm gonna try to stick with one horse as much as I can just for attachment's sake, but it sucks on some level that you can just whistle and have any other random horse just pop up (if I'm understanding you correctly).

I can understand why they did it from a gameplay perspective, especially since the world is so huge, but it's one of those things that definitely hurts the immersion.

It's the same horse, not a random horse.

moai

anyone knows if the asia version brings any bonus? i'm tempted to buy from play-asia but need to know if it brings any bonus content, if anything.

The_Inquisitor said:
Anyone gotten the R* achievement yet? I am worried since I will not be getting this game till next week I will never have a chance to get it.

First person I killed online gave me that achievement. Got it yesterday. :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
moai said:
anyone knows if the asia version brings any bonus? i'm tempted to buy from play-asia but need to know if it brings any bonus content, if anything.

Haven't heard of any bonuses outside of the pre-order stuff and the very under promoted top hat and outfit for PS3 version.

ckohler said:
Also, shooting a horse in the head is actually kinda sad. :( Shooting other animals wasn't a big deal but my friend shot my horse in the face as a test and I kinda felt bad about it.

I'm the type who will find that sad as well. Two hours to go and I will find out!

Question for those playing, how well is the euphoria and physics implementation? Comparable to GTA IV, or improved? I assume horseback riding alone has made for some entertaining euphoria animations.

Edit: does anyone also know what my accounts status of being "infected" means on the R* Social Club?

JoNike

Neo Member
magicaltrevor said:
Another question:
Does the PS3 version support 'Presence Data'?

You know, like in LittleBigPlanet or Modern Warfare 2, where it says what your friends are doing (like 'Playing Singleplayer - Exploring Rio Bravo'. 'Playing Capture the Bag on Map Name' or 'In a Multiplayer lobby 6/8', exploring Rio Bravo')?

I don't know about the PS3 but, just for your benefit, it's called 'Rich Presence' on Xbox 360.

Zeliard

Gravijah said:
It's the same horse, not a random horse.

Yeah, but what if your horse dies, and then you whistle? Does another horse come trotting down, or does nothing happen until you find another horse?

Retrofluxed

To anyone who ordered the game from Amazon, is the "Golden Gun" code included in the box, or will we get it via e-mail? And if it is done via e-mail, has anyone received their code yet?

Zeliard said:
Yeah, but what if your horse dies, and then you whistle? Does another horse come trotting down, or does nothing happen until you find another horse?

pretty sure you whistle and get another asap without having to "break-in" a new one.

ckohler

Drinking Hatorade said:
Question for those playing, how well is the euphoria and physics implementation? Comparable to GTA IV, or improved? I assume horseback riding alone has made for some entertaining euphoria animations.
About the same if not slightly better. Shoot a guy off his horse and the horse will typically drag his dead body around until his leg comes loose from the saddle. Kinda funny. On a sadder note, I shot a wolf in the leg once and watched it limp for a while, whimpering, until it died.

Animal

Banned
my game (ps3) failed to connect to server to unlock the freebies. I type this shit in with my controller every time What a pain.

Top Bottom