• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

owlbeak

FYI, got a response from Gamestop concerning the fact that they dropped the "special edition" bonuses for preordering from their RDR page. They said as long as you preorder online or in the store, you will get the special edition.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
deadbeef said:
Well you sir, are a coward and a sonofabitch! You just shot an unarmed man!

That's not true. He had arms when I shot him. Until I brought out the knife of course...

Definity said:
Shit just got real....

fth44i.jpg

what is special about that special edition? is it just a cardboard sleeve?

owlbeak

Yes, that folds. Plus you get the sountrack and some other noms like the deadly assassin outfit (2x faster dead eye recharge).

Linkzg said:
what is special about that special edition? is it just a cardboard sleeve?

It does come with a soundtrack.

So that's what I'll get at EB Games on Tuesday morning since I pre-ordered? It certainly does look nice.

Someone find a PS3 copy of the game and destroy this conspiracy once and for all.

Horsebite said:
FYI, got a response from Gamestop concerning the fact that they dropped the "special edition" bonuses for preordering from their RDR page. They said as long as you preorder online or in the store, you will get the special edition.
That's good to know, I was starting to wonder if I was gonna get screwed out of the SE.

owlbeak

darkressurection said:
That's good to know, I was starting to wonder if I was gonna get screwed out of the SE.
You and me both! I also asked why they took that stuff down, but they didn't comment about that part.

Simo

Horsebite said:
You and me both! I also asked why they took that stuff down, but they didn't comment about that part.

Yeah I emailed them too though they worded the response for me as you get the bonus "items" with the regular edition. Eh?

Not long now...:D

Snapshot King said:
Is there still no actual gameplay footage?

Nope, just like GTA IV. Except we didn't see any gameplay footage of GTA IV until release (even released by Rockstar), trailers were only "cinematic".

EzLink

Banned
What the hell. Neither of my local video stores had once upon a time in the west or fistful of dollars

:(

Oh well, I picked up 3:10 to Yuma and The Magnificent Seven

Dynamic3

Horsebite said:

Thats cool, the $10 GC is online-only though right?

Branson

Ps3 version, please be good. Ps3 version, please be good.Ps3 version, please be good. Man, I just preordered that today and I keep on feeling like I should have went 360

DMeisterJ

Banned
So what's up with the PS3 version? It's supposed to be bad or something? Or should I buy the 360 version?

And all copies are the Special Edition as long as you pre-order? I'm going to on Saturday.

Simo

Dynamic3 said:
Badass, what other places are doing a midnight launch in the US?

Aside from Best Buy I know that Gamestop is, though they haven't officially released the list of stores doing it you might want to call yours to make sure.

belvedere

Junior Butler
DMeisterJ said:
So what's up with the PS3 version? It's supposed to be bad or something? Or should I buy the 360 version?

And all copies are the Special Edition as long as you pre-order? I'm going to on Saturday.

There's not much that is known, just the history with GTA IV, which depending on your preferences, wasn't as bad as some people would lead you to believe.

Although the expansions are apparently optimized considerably better for PS3 so there's no reason RDR shouldn't be too.

Dynamic3

DMeisterJ said:

I believe all copies at GS are SE, though I am somewhat confused myself. I preordered at Amazon (I have Prime), but I may swing by the GS midnight launch as well if they are the only ones getting the SE and they have those sweet ass cards.

DiscoJer

EzLink said:
What the hell. Neither of my local video stores had once upon a time in the west or fistful of dollars

Those are actually probably cheaper to buy than rent. Or close to it.

DrBo42

I keep trying to find a live stream out of weakness and every forum thread about such has been deleted across the internet. R* ninjas already hard at work.

^ I watched a live stream of GTA4 way before it was released, and it kind of ruined some of the experiences for me, I'm trying to avoid streams now, but I'm weak and probably will cave in :lol :(

Holy shit @ those cards. I might swing by Best Buy after picking up my copy at GameStop and see if I can't snag some. Shit, I'd buy those if they put them on sale, definitely the coolest cards I've ever seen.

UrbanRats

sw33tclyde said:
Holy shit @ those cards. I might swing by Best Buy after picking up my copy at GameStop and see if I can't snag some. Shit, I'd buy those if they put them on sale, definitely the coolest cards I've ever seen.
68939-1.jpg

I have these, far cooler, for real Gentlemen.

goMaki

Regarding the cards: I don't know if it's been mentioned but it seems walmart.com is giving the cards away with pre-order of the game ( it states " Order now, and Receive Exclusive Playing Cards! " ): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Red-Dead-Redemption-w-Bonus-10-eGift-Card-Xbox-360/13069225

Going by the PDF it links to on the page, it seems they should be available in-store as well: http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/RDR2_WALMART_AmrayCase_Insert.pdf

I know I'd love to get a deck, but no Best Buy in my area is having a midnight release and Wal-Mart isn't worth the trip.

thecheese

cjtiger300 said:
No problem my friend! It's an awesome vid and I thought they should see it! Just think, this means R* has watched your vid! Maybe the Housers too!

I know, my mind is blown...

GAF is real good to me.

Psst, hey R*, how bout an early copy of the game!? :p

MMaRsu

Snapshot King said:
No, I meant of actual gameplay. Not edited to hell and narrated. An actual level playthrough, someone playing at a kiosk, website doing a preview, etc.

Never happens with R*'s games. Don't expect any till it's either leaked or out.

DaBears985

Neo Member
I want those cards so badly, I won't be able to make it to the store until the evening of the release so hopefully they still have some then.

Simo

goMaki said:
Regarding the cards: I don't know if it's been mentioned but it seems walmart.com is giving the cards away with pre-order of the game ( it states " Order now, and Receive Exclusive Playing Cards! " ): http://www.walmart.com/ip/Red-Dead-Redemption-w-Bonus-10-eGift-Card-Xbox-360/13069225

Going by the PDF it links to on the page, it seems they should be available in-store as well: http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/RDR2_WALMART_AmrayCase_Insert.pdf

I know I'd love to get a deck, but no Best Buy in my area is having a midnight release and Wal-Mart isn't worth the trip.

I wonder if Gamestop will be offering them as well then? They usually have free swag for midnight releases. Fingers crossed!

If not there's a Wal-Mart right behind my local Gamestop store.:lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
zero margin said:

To succeed where other Western games have failed, Red Dead Redemption deftly recreates a sandbox playground of a tumultuous historical period swept away by technological progress. The game perfectly captures the expansiveness of frontier life and the gritty gunplay of spaghetti westerns, rightfully earning its place alongside the great Western films and the best Rockstar games.

review was all around pretty great. definitely has me excited

Simo

Rikyfree said:
Must get! Also, does anyone know what is in the special edition that gamestop is offering?

Just the game and soundtrack CD. Though the in-game bonus is the Deadly Assassin outfit and "exclusive challenges".

Top Bottom