• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Denzar

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Can you play the mini games online like Blackjack and Poker. Does the shooting feel similar to what was in GTA 4. I'm hoping they improved that but I bet it's pretty much the same.
Rockstar was pretty mum about diversions in MP. They asked stuff like that in the Kotaku podcast, and J. Barrera and R. Nelson responded with "no comment".

So either it's in there or it will be in the future.

Shooting is roughly the same as in GTA IV with some exceptions. Now you can choose to disable Lock On entirely, and the game will still be perfectly playable. So , it's more advanced.

Freak

IcebergSlim3000 said:
Can you play the mini games online like Blackjack and Poker. Does the shooting feel similar to what was in GTA 4. I'm hoping they improved that but I bet it's pretty much the same.

I was also wondering about that, would be kinda cool to play poker with the posse ;) and shoot then when nthey cheat.. hehe
I wanted to know if the camera was the same as in GTA IV whereby it automatically tries to get back behind you when you start walking. (which bugs the crap outta me when they dont just put in a freecam, or at least have the option)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
fixed
astroturfing said:
i've decided to be a lone wanderer in free roam, never joining a posse.. i will be the mysterious evil-looking villain who comes out of nowhere, gets his ass kicked and limps away into the sunset

Shaka

Tr4nce said:
Nothing sir. But every few posts, this thread turns into a 'oh my god, no ps3 footage shown, are we doomed/screwed/fucked???!!' and after that someone comes in, again, asking 'hey all y'all, hows da ps3 version compared to the 360 version??!'. How the hell should we know? And then it starts over again. Too bad that all we can discuss in this beautiful thread is the system differences/system talk.
Seriously, no one in this fucking thread knows!

pahamrick

Yoshi256 said:
When does the review embargo ends? On Sunday evening?
Too bad, that the LE sucks that much, Alan Wake shows how it's done right. The game deserves a better LE.

Except... its not a limited edition.

Which does beg the question, did the GTA4 LE sell so poorly they figured they shouldn't bother with one for RDR, or are they afraid a LE for a mostly unknown franchise wouldn't sell?

Facism

I demand that when we know whether the ps3 version uses gamespy for the multiplayer, it gets added to the op.

TxdoHawk

pahamrick said:
Except... its not a limited edition.

Which does beg the question, did the GTA4 LE sell so poorly they figured they shouldn't bother with one for RDR, or are they afraid a LE for a mostly unknown franchise wouldn't sell?

I'm going to guess the second, or possibly a little of both, though I don't know what sales were like for the GTA4 limited edition.

Unrelated, but I just became eligible for vacation days...who took Wednesday off? This guy!

Yoshi256 said:
When does the review embargo ends? On Sunday evening?
Too bad, that the LE sucks that much, Alan Wake shows how it's done right. The game deserves a better LE.

Alan Wake LE $80
RDR LE $60

Gravijah said:
But I need it for my rifle!

Luckily the beta ends day after RDR releases then

Jtones

Banned
When buying from amazon, do you get the game on the releasedate or is it possible that you receive it a day later? (which would SUCK)

Jtones said:
When buying from amazon, do you get the game on the releasedate or is it possible that you receive it a day later? (which would SUCK)

Usually release day but there was one recent big release (splinter cell I think) that a lot of people didn't get till after, couple days as I recall.

Jtones

Banned
zero margin said:
Usually release day but there was one recent big release (splinter cell I think) that a lot of people didn't get till after, couple days as I recall.

Ok, too bad. I was going to order it for the LE, but it's a risk I won't take.

Jtones said:
Ok, too bad. I was going to order it for the LE, but it's a risk I won't take.

Only that one I can recall ever hearing of but I'm with you, this wait has been long enough, not taking any more chances. :lol

raviolico

sorry if already asked/answered:
if i get the regular edition can i buy the Deadly Assassin outfit, golden guns & War Horse on PSN/XBL or is this stuff exclusive to the retail special editon?

Haunted

Gravijah said:
I might not have the money to buy this on release :lol

:(
Don't be shocked now, but same here. I've just bought Zelda and will get Mario next week, my conscience can't justify another game right now. Will definitely buy this... eventually.

I didn't buy GUN and the Call of Juarez games at release, either.

Guess this'll let me wait until the dust has settled re: superior version anyway.

raviolico said:
sorry if already asked/answered:
if i get the regular edition can i buy the Deadly Assassin outfit, golden guns & War Horse on PSN/XBL or is this stuff exclusive to the retail special editon?

IS there a regular edition? I was under the impression this is one of those entire first shipment is an LE type of situation.

Gravijah

Haunted said:
Don't be shocked now, but same here. I've just bought Zelda and will get Mario next week, my conscience can't justify another game right now. Will definitely buy this... eventually.

I didn't buy GUN and the Call of Juarez games at release, either.

Guess this'll let me wait until the dust has settled re: superior version anyway.

Yeah, I don't have the extreme cashflow I used to for games so I still don't own tons of games I know I'll love. The money I was supposed to be saving for Alpha Protocol is going to RDR instead. :lol

zero margin said:
IS there a regular edition? I was under the impression this is one of those entire first shipment is an LE type of situation.
Gamestop is the only chain gettin' that Limited Edition version. As far as I know, the other stores will have a more basic version with only one pre-order bonus and no soundtrack.

KAOz

Short bus special
crawlingpeter said:
Gamestop is the only chain gettin' that Limited Edition version. As far as I know, the other stores will have a more basic version with only one pre-order bonus and no soundtrack.

Not in Europe. Here, there is no regular edition at all it seems. Only the LE for a regular edition price. :D

raviolico

KAOz said:
Not in Europe. Here, there is no regular edition at all it seems. Only the LE for a regular edition price. :D

huh? german retailer "Okaysoft" sells a regular edition (sans extras, 46 €) and the LE edtion w/ war horse, golden guns and OST (62 €).

my question here is: can i buy those extras later via DLC?
or even simply unlock at some point in the game?

Shinjitsu

Banned
God dammit, my 360 and PS3 are still in the States.

This game really makes me want to have them shipped, must resist the urge since I will be back to visit in 3 months and can grab them then...DAMN YOU ROCKSTAR!

raviolico said:
huh? german retailer "Okaysoft" sells a regular edition (sans extras, 46 €) and the LE edtion w/ war horse, golden guns and OST (62 €).

my question here is: can i buy those extras later via DLC?
or even simply unlock at some point in the game?
I think everything's unlockable, it just might require you to do a lot to get it first.

Like the war horse... well, you can already tame wild horses and i imagine there's some manner of progression to it, so eventually you'll get a chance to tame the war horse. I think the Deadly Assassin clothes are normally a reward for hunting or something. One of the videos mentions unlocking clothes via missions and challenges.

Same with those "exclusive challenges" or whatever that you get at Gamestop. You just have to work a little more.

Salz01

Guy LeDouche said:
I think everything's unlockable, it just might require you to do a lot to get it first.

Like the war horse... well, you can already tame wild horses and i imagine there's some manner of progression to it, so eventually you'll get a chance to tame the war horse. I think the Deadly Assassin clothes are normally a reward for hunting or something. One of the videos mentions unlocking clothes via missions and challenges.

Same with those "exclusive challenges" or whatever that you get at Gamestop. You just have to work a little more.

We 100% positive that the Deadly Assassin outfit is unlockable in game? Awesome if true. I just always assumed it wasnt in game unless we preordered from EB.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Guy LeDouche said:

I hope this is the case. Getting really tired of exclusive preorder bonuses living outside of the US.=P

UrbanRats said:
68939-1.jpg

I have these, far cooler, for real Gentlemen.

How weird/awesome. I have those cards as well.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Salz01 said:
We 100% positive that the Deadly Assassin outfit is unlockable in game? Awesome if true. I just always assumed it wasnt in game unless we preordered from EB.
I'm pretty sure I read that the golden guns and war horse were available in-game for everybody, and the deadly assassin outfit was the only real exclusive.

Shinjitsu said:
I hope this is the case. Getting really tired of exclusive preorder bonuses living outside of the US.=P

i don't think it is. don't think it's unlocked from the beginning since the gamestop pre-order page list a bunch of missions you have to complete in order to unlock the deadly assassin outfit.

Hawkie

Personally I like to avoid any in-game "bonus" items which make playing games easier (especially from the outset) because imo this generation, especially, has seen a lot of games where HARD is really the new NORMAL.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Hawkie said:
Personally I like to avoid any in-game "bonus" items which make playing games easier (especially from the outset) because imo this generation, especially, has seen a lot of games where HARD is really the new NORMAL.

Yah, but it's still extra CONTENT that you don't GET unless you PREORDER.

Ward

WickedLaharl said:
i don't think it is. don't think it's unlocked from the beginning since the gamestop pre-order page list a bunch of missions you have to complete in order to unlock the deadly assassin outfit.

Golden guns is unlockable in all versions.

Not sure about the warhorse.

Assassin outfit is gamestop exclusive, afaik.

To unlock the Deadly Assassin Outfit you must:

Win A Duel In Armadillo

Travel to the town of Armadillo, and accept any

challenge to fight a duel. Just make sure to win.

Capture Or Kill Mo Van Barr

(He's the winner of the 'Movember' Competition)

While in Armadillo, find the wanted poster for Mo Van

Barr, accept the Bounty Hunting mission, and bring

this notorious member of the Walton Gang to justice,

dead or alive.

Solve The Mystery Of The Missing Townsfolk

People have been disappearing for weeks from the

outskirts of Armadillo. Track down the clues, solve

the mystery and live to tell the tale.

Search Coot's Chapel

Find the ruins of Coot's Chapel in the wilds of Cholla

Springs, and search for treasure.

Complete The Twin Rocks Hideout

Find the legendary criminal hideout of Twin Rocks,

located North of the town of Armadillo to complete

this final challenge.

Yoshi256 said:

I have to agree with you but I'm not disappointed that I'm getting the LE as there is barely a price difference here where I live,and the only reason I'm mainly getting it is for he OST.The DLC is just a bonus in my eyes.:)

Don't think this has been posted yet but Official Playtation Magazine has given RDR 10/10

:D :D :D

OPM praises every aspect of Rockstar's sweeping Western in its review. It applauds the 'excellent voice acting', the 'moving cinematic' and 'glorious rendering of cowboy country'.

There's also a 'perfectly pitched soundtrack' and a story with a 'unique mood' - while the ever-present side-missions leave it 'up to you and your calcified conscience how to respond'.

The only slight criticism comes with the 'slightly repetitive clusters' in which you 'protect this wagon, repel these bandits, protect this stagecoach and so on'.

OPM says that decrying RDR as a re-skinned GTA 'misses the point' - because 'in terms of ambience and immersion it surpasses its forbear'.

'Once you're hooked, there's no going back,' OPM's review warns.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246436

Hawkie

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Don't think this has been posted yet but Official Playtation Magazine has given RDR 10/10

:D :D :D

OPM praises every aspect of Rockstar's sweeping Western in its review. It applauds the 'excellent voice acting', the 'moving cinematic' and 'glorious rendering of cowboy country'.

There's also a 'perfectly pitched soundtrack' and a story with a 'unique mood' - while the ever-present side-missions leave it 'up to you and your calcified conscience how to respond'.

The only slight criticism comes with the 'slightly repetitive clusters' in which you 'protect this wagon, repel these bandits, protect this stagecoach and so on'.

OPM says that decrying RDR as a re-skinned GTA 'misses the point' - because 'in terms of ambience and immersion it surpasses its forbear'.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=246436

Maybe this will go someway to allaying some of the PS3 fears people have.

Darklord

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:

I'm just going to say that you should be cautious all these review. Anything from official magazines, sites, maybe even the big gaming sites too. Why? Because the people who review them get wound so much in the hype they give it a huge score, almost regardless of if it deserves it or not.

I'm not saying this game can't be a 10/10 but take the reviews for this game with a grain of salt because almost every big game the reviewers come out and say it's basically the best game ever.

LabouredSubterfuge said:

To be honest, though, that's the sort of thing backlash focuses its white-hot glare upon, eventually. I am all over this but I do strongly suspect these reviewers may have caught Rockstar fever again.

Snowballo

Official Playtation Magazine has given RDR 10/10

My bad. Please delete.

Top Bottom