• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Mik2121

Teknoman said:
Is there a Rockstar Games forum? Because you'd think they would know about these online issues by now. Maybe since they're supposed to be playing this week/weekend they'll see first hand?
I think there's one on the Rockstar site for the Social Club?

Dead

well not really...yet
Has anyone been able to redeem their pre-order codes? Every time I try to, it says it cant connect to the Rockstar code server or whatever

Teknoman

Friday, May 21st (4-8pm)
Red Dead Redemption
Multiplayer Session with Rockstar on PSN

Saturday, May 22nd (12-4pm)
Red Dead Redemption
Multiplayer Session with Rockstar on XBL

Hopefully that'll be the turning point.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Rapping Granny said:
WHAT THE FUCK Rockstar, why the he'll did you choose fucking gamespy of all people to handle the online, WTF is wrong with you?

just to mess with you.

Rockstar: the ultimate trolls.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Doesn't anyone else have Bully deja-vu when they hear that bass guitar chase track kick in? it would be cool if the same guy worked on this too.

EzLink

Banned
Are animal skins basically only good for selling? And are herbs and flowers good for anything? The only use I've encountered for them so far was for a side mission

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dead said:
Has anyone been able to redeem their pre-order codes? Every time I try to, it says it cant connect to the Rockstar code server or whatever

Didn't work for me yesterday, but I was able to redeem the Deadly Assassin suit earlier today.

Mik2121

Btw I believe this has already been said, but I got a HUGE Lost vibe with the music on the intro, when the ship shows up at the beginning.
Is it the same guy? Doubt it, but who knows! :lol

MMaRsu said:
Were these posted yet? Got them from TXB..

ssl254281.jpg

ssl254191.jpg

Fucking amazing..

Oh and here's another fun video of 'Brad' drunk and getting run over :lol

http://nl.justin.tv/ty20ler/b/263938106
OK, I need to know what TV this guy is using now. I'm in the market for one and I think I can stop looking now :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Really, no PC version of this planned/confirmed by Rockstar? This sounds/looks/feels like the kind of game I'd want to play, but then Rockstar turns around and tells me there's no plans for a PC version? I really didn't feel GTA IV, so I totally skipped that, but this has peaked my interest more than once. Now that I'm watching videos of it... damn..

I guess I could buy it on the 360, but... I really wanted it on the PC...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Teknoman said:
Saturday, May 22nd (12-4pm)
Red Dead Redemption
Multiplayer Session with Rockstar on XBL

Hopefully that'll be the turning point.

Nice, I'll have the game just in time for that shit. Hopefully I'll get a chance to frag a Houser.*

* I know there weren't any Housers involved.

Mik2121 said:
I think there's one on the Rockstar site for the Social Club?

I couldn't connect because of the servers being slammed yesterday. Did it early this morning when I figured nobody would be on at like 9am...continued playing till like 5pm.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hunting missions get very serious very quick. It's like "skin some deer? no problem. DONE. What's next? Let me see... 'Kill five wolves...
with your melee knife'
" I was like :O :O

Cday

Banned
sazabirules said:
I still haven't found out how one accesses and uses the unlocked golden guns.

1. Go to the main menu of the game
2. Select "Downloadable Content" in the main menu
3. Select "Press X to enter a ROCKSTAR code" (Probably square for PS3)
4. Enter your unique code

Now getting Rockstar Social Club to actually work is another matter entirely.

Mik2121

Teknoman said:
Sent an email about the PS3 online errors, but dunno if it'll do any good :lol

:(
Might be wrong.. but I have a feeling Rockstar already knows about the problems. Or at least I hope they do.

I didn't seem to find that many problems playing online though. Lag? Yeah.. but even then it wasn't that bad.

Teknoman

Mik2121 said:
Might be wrong.. but I have a feeling Rockstar already knows about the problems. Or at least I hope they do.

I didn't seem to find that many problems playing online though. Lag? Yeah.. but even then it wasn't that bad.

Lag wasnt an issue for me (really everyone was good aside from Volcynika), its just these frequent random disconnects that are plaguing us now.

Mik2121

Ahh.. yeah, after I left I saw some people on the chat saying everybody got disconnected and whatnot. Hopefully they fix this soon.

Anyway, 30 mins until I get back home! Can't wait to get back to the Single Player mode!!.

Is there seriously no way to invert the horizontal axis for the camera? I can NOT for the life of me get used to the default settings. You'd think they would of thought that through.. :\

LethaL ImpuLse said:
Is there seriously no way to invert the horizontal axis for the camera? I can NOT for the life of me get used to the default settings. You'd think they would of thought that through.. :\

Did you try the invert camera setting?

Cday

Banned
sazabirules said:
No I mean I entered the code. What do I do now?

I haven't gotten that far I keep getting errors. I assume it automatically applies the skins to the two guns it works for (cattle revolver and repeater carbine).

Finally got a chance to sit down and play this tonight - waited what seemed like ages, and then release day comes and I ended up playing Alan Wake. At any rate - WOW. It started off a little slow to me - felt a little too much like GTA. It was strangely the herding catle, and the wild horse story missions that broke that feel for me. After that I was sucked in and got sidetracked every few feet with bounty hunting, or strangers, or random encounters... All of which were great!

Except some nagging frustration over the only gang hideout I found. Twin Rocks.
I kind of stumbled into the area by trying to take a shortcut between the water dousing house and the hill by Hanged Rock. I figured, hell why not - and helped the guy out. We kicked their asses - and it was awesome. Except when trying to rescue the farmer's daughter the camera focused on the girl before I was IN the building so I spent 5 minutes trying to get in the door. By the time I did, the last bandit had shot the daughter. It kind of pissed me off because I had Dead Eye left and felt I could have taken him.
REALLY makes me wish there was a retry mission option if things go sideways.

Dizzle24

Thats one of the reasons why i manually save after everything important thing i accomplish. I failed a few side missions because i mistakenly aimed my gun at some of the Strangers, so i just reloaded and it helped.

Anyone know if you can get binoculars?

I could have sworn I read a review saying you get some.

FUUUUU-

You know the humping carriage glitch(where it constantly bounces) well I'm getting the glitch on the mission where you're storming Fort Mercer, and I think it might have broken the game. We're supposed to be riding into the Fort and we're just sitting in a field humping the ground. Gonna reload and see if it's fixed..

dominuece said:
I know you can because "Time using binoculars" is under misc stats. Unfortunately, I don't know where you get them.

Cool, thanks.

Oh and restarting my console fixed the glitch, no more humping coaches!!

-Mikey-

GDJustin said:
Hunting missions get very serious very quick. It's like "skin some deer? no problem. DONE. What's next? Let me see... 'Kill five wolves...
with your melee knife'
" I was like :O :O

Fucking awesome. I was out hunting for the second treasure near
Rio Del Lobo
and came across a pack of 8-10 wolves. I took out my knife and went crazy taking out 5 before the rest ran off and a random rattlesnake too!:lol

Red Mercury said:
Except some nagging frustration over the only gang hideout I found. Twin Rocks.
I kind of stumbled into the area by trying to take a shortcut between the water dousing house and the hill by Hanged Rock. I figured, hell why not - and helped the guy out. We kicked their asses - and it was awesome. Except when trying to rescue the farmer's daughter the camera focused on the girl before I was IN the building so I spent 5 minutes trying to get in the door. By the time I did, the last bandit had shot the daughter. It kind of pissed me off because I had Dead Eye left and felt I could have taken him.
REALLY makes me wish there was a retry mission option if things go sideways.

Hey no worries. The gang hideouts reset. I think it's everyday or every five days, something like that. But yeah, I've done that about two times already.

oktarb

(360 version)
The Good
+ The landscape is gorgeous, simply stunning. There’s so much to see that for the first time in years I find myself sitting up close to the TV to catch all the details.

+ The music is fantastic, reminds me of every western I’ve ever loved.

+ I love the shooting but highly recommend using Expert mode. Deadeye will give you enough of an advantage as is. Normal is far too easy.

+ I love the amount of things to do. Easily distracted when I want to be or I can stay focused on a specific track. Well handled across the board. Poker, dice, hunting, gathering, bounties, guard missions, countless help missions, gang hide outs…on and on.

+ Weapons feel great and eagerly look forward to getting new ones.

+ When horse riding and shooting click it all feels great. Suddenly I’m whipping my horse around and firing over my shoulder. I am cowboy death incarnate.

+ Little things seem to matter because they’re not just doled out. When I upgraded to a duster I really felt cool. You know all alone but cool.

+ The story is engaging even if the overall (thus far) plot seems a little watered down.

The Bad
- Sometimes the contrast jumps from really light to really dark. Maybe that’s the point but I find myself squinting more than I’d like.

- Horse can get a little wonky at times.

- Some items aren’t worth opening the menu (which breaks immersion) to use.

- Careful, get in the wrong side of a stage coach and you steal it which can lead to trouble.

- Cougars (and bears) kill your horse in one swipe. I spend time with Burt my grey horse. He was loyal, we won races. Meow – kitty insta-killed him.

The Ugly
! Odd laws. I’m on a mission. I just saved 3 horses, a barn and the whole family from a fiery death. I’m taking the last horse to the coral and bump into a ranch hand. Mission ends because I broke the law! People need to get out of my way. Me am main character.

! Some water kills you dead. I was looking forward to crossing a river only to insta-drown. Boo Hiss. Brooks seem to be safe.

! Some areas are locked off. Open world to an extent. I just hate hitting area’s that I can see but not get to because it’s not unlocked yet. At least they do it well with incomplete bridges and such.

! Sometimes the camp doesn’t want to work, especially around Thieves Point or whatever. Can be frustrating when you want to fast travel to a save point and you can’t.

sw33tclyde said:
Did you try the invert camera setting?
There is only one setting in the options which only inverts the vertical axis. I can't be the only one who feels the camera is unnatural; most games have settings for both axes.

Regarding Online Free Roam:

- There seems to be "zones" where you turn invisible, and it almost feels like the town dividing lines sometimes, or even if someone is doing a Gang hideout, there seems to be a "zone" there to where you pass through and will go invisible, but return to normal when you "come out" the other side. Very weird, and certainly annoying.

- Network problems seems to be toned down, but I still caught the "bug" once tonight where I couldn't get back in until restarting the 360.

- The feeling of solitude is a bit too strong online. I'm OK with no train, and no random events. but all the major towns feel like ghost towns with only 1 or 2 pedestrians wandering around. If you're not with your posse or in a Gang hideout, you could swear all the of NPCs, and animals were turned off. I'm not even sure if this can be tweaked with a patch, but it's definitely something I would want taken care out right after the invisible glitch, and network issues. And where are these "hunting zones" I heard about way back when where "waves of animals" would attack the group? That could certainly spice things up, but even finding animals is tough.

zero margin said:
pro tip - don't ever spend money on a horse, it's wasted money.

No way!

I just bought a Kentucky Saddler and I don't know if it glitched, but I can use the deed(?) to it and get a new one every time it dies. Good thing too, I just fought 3 cougars, bastards 1 shotted my horse twice in row.

Also another amazing feature of the horse deed, every time you use it it automatically quick-saves! No need to set up camp to save for me any more.

That is true Clyde but it's just annoying that you have to bring it back I guess.

sw33tclyde said:
Also another amazing feature of the horse deed, every time you use it it automatically quick-saves! No need to set up camp to save for me any more.

OK that is awesome

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, this game is amazing! The 2 hours I spent playing just flew by. I don't have much else to say, but wow!

I don't know if its been mentioned but it seems bears seem to spawn in pairs of two or three.
I had to learn the hard way but after I killed one bear and was in the process of skinning it another bear appeared and mauled me to death. The next time around, I killed both bears and proceeded to skin them both only to see a third bear appear and kill me. I wish there was some way to cancel the 3 second skinning action since it would of been enough time to kill any nearby enemies attempting to catch me off guard.

I was going for the kill 18 bears achievement so I guess the good thing about it was that I didn't have to wait for bears to spawn.

Top Bottom