• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

JRW

MMaRsu said:
Were these posted yet? Got them from TXB..

ssl254281.jpg

ssl254191.jpg

ssl254241.jpg

ssl254261.jpg

ssl254271.jpg

ssl254401.jpg

ssl254411.jpg

Fucking amazing..

Oh and here's another fun video of 'Brad' drunk and getting run over :lol

http://nl.justin.tv/ty20ler/b/263938106

Looks pretty good other than slightly oversaturated.

Masamuna

Having a blast with the game. The only hiccup thats happened to me is that there seems to be a 1 in 5 chance that my horse will die if I get off it. Its like there's a blood thirsty glue salesman that follows me wherever I go DX

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
ShockingAlberto said:
I was cleaning up at poker earlier, but lost nearly $200 just now trying over and over.

you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away and know when to run.

Masamuna said:
Having a blast with the game. The only hiccup thats happened to me is that there seems to be a 1 in 5 chance that my horse will die if I get off it. Its like there's a blood thirsty glue salesman that follows me wherever I go DX

You're mashing A too much. Watch the bar on the left side of your mini-map, if it goes into the red too many times your horse will keel over and die.

Dresden

Just bought the sawed-off shotgun and the Springfield at Thieve's Landing. I really like the Springfield, and how it forces you to measure your shots. I want to buy the Buffalo rifle, but it's never available.

Also stopped using Normal aiming and switched to Expert. It's not that much harder, and it makes killing riders that much more satisfying.

squicken

I've read the OP and the last few pages, so sorry if this has been covered. Has a consensus formed about difficulty settings and the various aiming mechanics?

I'm only going to play single player, and in GTA4 I used manual aim. I don't really like lock on targeting, but some of the videos I've seen make it look more CoD style snap-to than full scale lock on. What are people using? If I choose to use no auto aim, is it too difficult? Thanks.

I was such a gentleman for so long.

Then I met the old man and Annabelle.

I don't know what got into me. I think I felt sorry for the old guy and figured, well, I'll put him out of his tragic misery. After we said our goodbyes, I strapped on my bandanna, hogtied him, dumped him on the floor of his shack, and shot him in the back of the head as he lay there face down. (I actually tried to knife him first, but that didn't work.) Loot his body, go back outside, take off the bandanna, hop on my steed, and go about my business.

It felt very evil. Marston's character has an entirely different feel now, and it will undoubtedly effect how I play the rest of the game.

Dresden

squicken said:
I've read the OP and the last few pages, so sorry if this has been covered. Has a consensus formed about difficulty settings and the various aiming mechanics?

I'm only going to play single player, and in GTA4 I used manual aim. I don't really like lock on targeting, but some of the videos I've seen make it look more CoD style snap-to than full scale lock on. What are people using? If I choose to use no auto aim, is it too difficult? Thanks.
I've been using the 'expert'--no auto aim--setting, and it's still quite easy. The only problem you'll have is riding your horse while shooting, but even then you have Dead Eye to make up for that.

Dresden said:
I've been using the 'expert'--no auto aim--setting, and it's still quite easy. The only problem you'll have is riding your horse while shooting, but even then you have Dead Eye to make up for that.

Sucks the most when you're driving a carriage, but yeah, definitely still easy on expert. I'm around 10 or 12 hours played (expert from the beginning) and I've only died a handful of times.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
gaaah, this game moves too fast for its own good. I'll try to ask again :

Can someone please linke me to the western movies thread that was made in "preparation" of RDRs release? I know theres like 8 movies in the OP but I want that thread dag nabbit!

TTG

alr1ghtstart said:
just spent an hour playing five finger fillet, liar's dice, and blackjack. so good. :D

I had to finish five finger fillet! Had a net loss of like 75$, but it didn't matter. They better make it worth my while to finish every minigame, horse shoe looks like a mess. :lol

Anyway, just finished like a 6 hour play session. That hasn't happened in a looong time. I went looking for some desert sage and ended up doing side missions for hours. I guess I'll play on the honorable side the first time through, kinda fell into it.

TTG

sw33tclyde said:
You're mashing A too much. Watch the bar on the left side of your mini-map, if it goes into the red too many times your horse will keel over and die.

There's very little use to that anyway. After you gain some speed, just pressing down X(or A) will result in the horse coasting at a pretty good speed for a long while. Past the first minute or two, I had no problem controlling the horses at all, haven't killed one yet either. It's exactly like riding a bike would be in GTA. Pedal, coast, apply brake if you need to stop quickly, pedal really hard a couple of times to get to full speed.

Tokubetsu said:
I'm also near max positive side of Honor and every single time I step foot in there, three people are firing on me.

Had one scare the shit out of me. I was exiting the saloon, turning right and all of sudden, BLAM! Shotgun through the fucking window.

Big clue, the name of the place. ;)
It's a gang run town, so positive honor=badman there.

macfoshizzle said:
aside from the war horse, which horse is the best? are there rare horses that appear in the wild?

where can i get this guy below? know what type of horse that is?

rdr_horse_03_29.jpg

I think that beasty is called a American Standardbred. If you go to the General Store in Armadillo you can find a number of horses for sale, if you look at the Info for the horses (button Y on the 360) it will tell you the color and speed level of the horse. You can buy that horse particular from the General Store in MacFarlane's Ranch. It's a fast horse.

Marvie_3

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
Good thing too, I just fought 3 cougars, bastards 1 shotted my horse twice in row.
I was playing free roam with a friend last night and we ran into a pair of cougars. Killed both of our horses and each of us 2-3 times before we could kill the bastards. :lol

Holy shit, I was cougar hunting for the Hunter Challenge and was creeping along a ridge when all of the sudden my horse started neighing and acting uneasy as shit. 5 seconds later a cougar mauled his face off! :x

Edit:
Wow, finally got my two cougars with the knife to finish the challenge. The 2nd one I found was chasing a deer! He was trying to eat it when I rolled up and shanked his ass. :lol

The ecosystem is so god damn amazing in this game though, goty for me.

smuf said:
Anyone in Euroland managed to pick up an early copy yet?

Yup. Game.co.uk tend to send games out on monday or tuesday before release, meaning they usually arrive on the Wednesday/Thursday.

My problem at the moment is that I'm lying in bed reading GAF and listening to Tinie Tempah....and I'm so chilled that I can't be bothered to get up and play it, let alone revise.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Bungieware said:
Yup. Game.co.uk tend to send games out on monday or tuesday before release, meaning they usually arrive on the Wednesday/Thursday.

My problem at the moment is that I'm lying in bed reading GAF and listening to Tinie Tempah....and I'm so chilled that I can't be bothered to get up and play it, let alone revise.

I got my LE from gameware.at

Bungieware said:

Shopto usually post out early but not this time, as they had to sign an agreement with Take 2 that copies will not be with customers before Friday's official release date.

So many copies arrived at my office this morning, seems everybody here ordered from Amazon, why did I not order this online.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow lunch time to pick it up!

Lotan

GRAWR! I keep taming these horses and they all run away and when I whistle I get the stupid default brown horse that is ugly and sucks!

How do I keep a horse? I saw somewhere that hitching one makes it yours but I did that and I'm still stuck with this POS.

Zeliard said:
So many cool little touches in this game you can run into just doing random things.

When it's raining, if you point the camera up towards the sky, droplets fall down towards the screen and hit the camera as if it's an actual physical object in the game world. It looks quite nice. Not sure if it was the same in GTAIV.

Also, there are some pretty neat animations Martson does at times. For example, if you hogtie someone, duck over top them, and then do a knife attack, Martson will go into an animation where he slits their throat. Crazy. I was feeling particularly devious when I did that on someone, not really knowing what to expect, and couldn't believe it went into an actual animation. :lol Got a nice -100 honor for it. Not too honorable, apparently, killing someone who's hogtied and on their stomach.

There's also an animation if a person is on their knees, and you get behind them and shoot them in the back of the head. :p Those are the only two I've found so far while playing. I'm guessing there are probably others.

Try a rifle, shotgun, or handgun at "touch" range. :D

Daigoro said:
caught a cool Western on cable the other night: Red Sun with Charles Bronson and Toshiro Mifune!

never even heard of this movie before it came on the other night. its was good, definitely worth catching.

You can watch it streaming on Netflix if you have it. :)

Chaser

Not sure if it has been mentioned before, but I had a sort of eerie encounter a few hours ago in-game:

I was going up to Hanging Rock to look for a missing boy as part of the American Appetites' missions. While I was looking around, I saw a man on his knees overlooking a dead woman. As I approached he put a revolver to his head and committed suicide.
They never gave me the option to talk to the man, and all I could do after was loot the bodies. It was really strange, and pretty depressing.

painey

bugs i've encountered (360);

button prompts disappear meaning I couldn't loot or even save
game freezing with black screen loads
John gliding (moving, but with standing still animation) - hilarious
people leaning or sitting mid air
horse spawning on the side of a mountain and ragdolling all the way to its death

some are annoying, some are funny, but theres still quite a lot of them.

MMaRsu

smuf said:
Anyone in Euroland managed to pick up an early copy yet?

Nope :(. None of these fucking stores will sell it to me!! They are all saying yeah tomorrow we can sell it blablabla.. FUCK

Should have thrown over a fucking magazine rack to show em I mean business!

Top Bottom