• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Downhome

I hope they fix that Deadly Assassin/Mo van Barr glitch soon. I have that outfit just sitting there, with only the Mo van Barr deal to check of the list. :(

This just might be the best game I've ever played.

Feels like I'm maybe half way through, but I've loved all the free roaming gameplay right alongside the linear missions. This just might be the first game that manages to put you into an expansive open world alongside a focused narrative mission structure and balance the two experiences to perfection.

Graphics are lush and stunning, animations are top notch, voicework and the writing are ace. I care about the characters. I listen to people yammering in the saloons and card games. I take a knee and listen to the tales of random campers.

Unlike GTA4, this is not only a fully realized world with a story to tell, but it also nails the gameplay. There is life to this world, and far, far more to do than random crap in Liberty City.

Red Dead: Redemption is also aptly named, because it has completely redeemed RockStar in my eyes. They could keep this thing going forever with DLC.

JambiBum

Bizzyb said:
Awweeesome!

Thanks

You can keep all of your horses you break. You just have to go buy the deeds for them once you break them. Once you buy a deed that horse is yours forever. You can call on any horse you own by hitting A or X on the deed in your inventory. Once you do that just whistle and that horse will come.

JMizzlin

Was messing about in Blackwater last night and discovered there was a ferry dock with absolutely no ferries about. Got me thinking that this may perhaps be DLC?

I can't think of any reason otherwise to design a dock/peer with signs and everything.

venom2124

Wondering if anybody has run into this game ending glitch too. I finish the mission "Cowards die many times," watch the cutscene, and then the screen goes black. No loading screen or anything else, just black. I can still bring up the XMB on the PS3, but the game won't load the next section.

I contacted Rockstar support, but I wanted to see if anybody here ran into the same problem and if there's a work around for it.

BeeDog

Alright, could someone please tell me how far along I am in the story?

(later-in-the-game/south-of-the-river spoilers)

I just did the mission where you have to take the rebel chick's sister to the boat in a set amount of time, and then the mission with the soldiers where you torch the buildings after killing the rebels.

Just finished the game. Brilliant ending.

I love the fact that the game doesn't just put you back some save files. You actually get to explore the game in a totally new way, great! It was a shame that I had to search on GAF for the real last mission, but that was really cool, with the logo and stuff.
What I found especially typical is that the ending provoked more emotions than the entirety of Heavy Rain or GTA. It was a perfect ending to a near-perfect told story.

MMaRsu

Eye Drop said:
Was messing about in Blackwater last night and discovered there was a ferry dock with absolutely no ferries about. Got me thinking that this may perhaps be DLC?

I can't think of any reason otherwise to design a dock/peer with signs and everything.

Because it is supposed to be there?

Darklord

Banned
Just wondering, if you go bad and start shooting everyone up goes he still greet people when you press B or does he say something else?

JambiBum said:
You can keep all of your horses you break. You just have to go buy the deeds for them once you break them.
Can you explain this a bit more?

Wait. Are you saying that the "unavailable" horse deeds in the store are unlocked by breaking them in the wild? If so that's perfect.

Also, is there a way to see information about the horse you're currently riding? Like breed and/or stats?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
BeeDog said:
Alright, could someone please tell me how far along I am in the story?

(later-in-the-game/south-of-the-river spoilers)

I just did the mission where you have to take the rebel chick's sister to the boat in a set amount of time, and then the mission with the soldiers where you torch the buildings after killing the rebels.

Just over half way through

Darkman M

NullPointer said:

Wait. Are you saying that the "unavailable" horse deeds in the store are unlocked by breaking them in the wild? If so that's perfect.

Also, is there a way to see information about the horse you're currently riding? Like breed and/or stats?

1. Yep
2. No

The three fast horses you have to break for deeds & Achievement are....

1. Kentucky Saddler (Golden color)
2. Hungarian half breed(White horse black face)
3. American Standard Breed(Black horse)

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
So I started multiplayer for the first time and...what the fuck is this shit?

I have no weapons, a shitty donkey, and I get raped by other players, and I respawn in a few seconds right next to them. What the fucking shit? How are utter newbies supposed to play this crap?

JambiBum

NullPointer said:

That's what I'm saying. Any deed that is unavailable becomes available once you break that horse. You can see what the horse looks like by hitting the info button on the deed. The last three horses (most expensive, best) are each found in separate areas. Kentucky is in New Austin, Hungarian is in Mexico and the American is in the Great Plains.

I don't think there is a way to see the breed or stats of your current horse though. I keep track of what horse I have by the deeds though.

NullPointer said:

Yes.

Other than the deed saying the horse is slow/normal/fast speed, no, there isn't, although tests done in free-roam seem to indicate there are plenty of noticable differences between the various breeds. Different stamina, top speed, how much damage they can take, agility/turn speed, etc.

Roche

I've encountered a glitch, I'm doing one of
Irish's mission called "On shakey's ground" and for some reason, whenever I fight my way out to the wagon it won't move. To be precise it just sits there bouncing up and down.
[Early mission spoiler] I really don't know what to do, it won't let me continue in the mission. :(

Tempy said:

I have no weapons, a shitty donkey, and I get raped by other players, and I respawn in a few seconds right next to them. What the fucking shit? How are utter newbies supposed to play this crap?
Go to private free roam, take out a gang hideout. Should level you enough to unlock some decent gear.

Tempy said:

Welcome to RDR MP; I tried to play some competitive matches last night and I just kept getting destroyed. It was not fun at all. I'm in the same position as you, though I have a somewhat better horse, the malnourished one. It's going to take a lot to get to a decent level :(. Doesn't help that I can't stay connected to any MP game for more than 10 minutes!

Darkman M

nskinnear said:
For the Walton's Gang Outfit, how am I supposed to defend the residents of Cholla Springs? I've ridden through the area, but there's no one to defend there...

Probably from any sort of random encounter in that area, i got the outfit and don't remember doing anything special.

GAF Posse is :lol We were singing this in the Stagecoach on our route to our next Gang Hideout

What'll we do with a drunken cowboy,
Earl-aye in the morning

Sling him in the long boat till he's sober,
Keep him there and make 'im bale 'er.
Pull out the plug and wet him all over,

Darkman M

nskinnear said:
Oh, really? I was hoping there would be some sort of event I could trigger just by being in the area. Guess I'll just wander around there for a while until something happens.

Thanks.

On second thought it's the bollard gang outfit i have, not the one you mentioned, but it should work out the same way.:lol

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Mr_Guillotine said:
Go to private free roam, take out a gang hideout. Should level you enough to unlock some decent gear.

Kinda defeats the purpose of multiplayer. I guess it'd still be fun doing a posse in private with friends. But damn if I don't hate multiplayer games where you have to grind to unlock FUNCTIONALITY. Grinding for a fancy hat would be fine by me.

What I don't understand is why it's spawning me right next to baddies. There's no choice in where I spawn, and no way to delay a spawn (there's an X prompt to respawn but it respawns me shortly after anyway).

I'm going back to the excellent single player.

(Yes, I know KZ2 MP has unlocks too. So many times I've told them it was a shitty idea. What happened was that at launch everybody would be base class soldier only and there was almost no strategy involved. Makes the MP look very shallow to beginning players. And it took ages to unlock the interesting classes.)

G-Bus

Banned
I was just in the middle of a bounty hunter mission. Took out all his guards, hogtied him and put him on the back of my horse. More of his goons showed up so I lock onto the first guy coming at me, shoot him off his horse and the game slows down. Lock onto the next guy, game slows down even more, take him out. Now it's frozen, goes to a black screen for 10 seconds then back to the XMB.

First time the games crashed on me (assuming that's what it was) but I've had some problems with slow-down. Starting to get really annoying.

PS3 version btw.

Klocker

wayward archer said:
Yes.

Other than the deed saying the horse is slow/normal/fast speed, no, there isn't, although tests done in free-roam seem to indicate there are plenty of noticable differences between the various breeds. Different stamina, top speed, how much damage they can take, agility/turn speed, etc.

sweet... is this info documented anywhere please?

If you are playing on normal the "dead eye meter totally pissed me off... I ended up switching to Causal and thought it would suck worse (lock on but not snap to lock) but since there are no dead eye power ups, it's actually more fair/fun IMO...hardcore (unlock level 15) was cool but I need to learn to aim

oh... and the unlocks like weapons only apply to free Roam.... the other stuff is just cosmetic. The weapons that you need to win at MP are weapon drops placed around the map, any level can use them

Tempy said:
Kinda defeats the purpose of multiplayer. I guess it'd still be fun doing a posse in private with friends. But damn if I don't hate multiplayer games where you have to grind to unlock FUNCTIONALITY. Grinding for a fancy hat would be fine by me.

What I don't understand is why it's spawning me right next to baddies. There's no choice in where I spawn, and no way to delay a spawn (there's an X prompt to respawn but it respawns me shortly after anyway).

I'm going back to the excellent single player.

(Yes, I know KZ2 MP has unlocks too. So many times I've told them it was a shitty idea. What happened was that at launch everybody would be base class soldier only and there was almost no strategy involved. Makes the MP look very shallow to beginning players. And it took ages to unlock the interesting classes.)
Well if your problem is having a slow horse that would quickly get rid of it, besides you're playing free roam which is better suited for big posses. In actual multiplayer everyone has the same gear.

Tempy said:

1. Weapons

From what I understand (being a Rank 11), everyone starts with fairly default weapons every time they join a session regardless of rank. The main variation of weapons are scattered throughout the map. When playing e.g. Gang Matches, the area is filled with Ammo and all kinds of rifles and "tools of evil". You probably have yet to notice this considering your fairly short and cold introduction to a somewhat intimating set of options on the MP side of things.

2. Horses/

Yes, you get a horse as you rank up. There are two methods to this. Do a gang hideout mission with at least one other person and you'll go up at least 3 ranks with the amount of EXP you'll earn. This unlocks a horse for you in MP so you won't need a donkey if you spend 20 minutes in MP. If you don't want to invest that time, you could always just take a horse from an AI character or someone else in the map.

3. Posse Up

Multiplayer isn't half the fun if you don't play with a group of friends, thus allowing you guys the motivation to ride out to some remote part of the map and do objectives or sing road songs.

Meus Renaissance said:
1. Weapons

From what I understand (being a Rank 11), everyone starts with fairly default weapons every time they join a session regardless of rank. The main variation of weapons are scattered throughout the map. When playing e.g. Gang Matches, the area is filled with Ammo and all kinds of rifles and "tools of evil". You probably have yet to notice this considering your fairly short and cold introduction to a somewhat intimating set of options on the MP side of things.

2. Horses/

Yes, you get a horse as you rank up. There are two methods to this. Do a gang hideout mission with at least one other person and you'll go up at least 3 ranks with the amount of EXP you'll earn. This unlocks a horse for you in MP so you won't need a donkey if you spend 20 minutes in MP. If you don't want to invest that time, you could always just take a horse from an AI character or someone else in the map.

3. Posse Up

Multiplayer isn't half the fun if you don't play with a group of friends, thus allowing you guys the motivation to ride out to some remote part of the map and do objectives or sing road songs.
You guys on the 360 version right now? When do you guys posse up?

A.R.K

Tempy said:

Thanks for mentioning this tempy :lol. Seems like every MP is doing this where you have to work your ass off to get any decent weapon/class etc (CODMW2 is brutal for a beginner too). I guess thats what they call having 'depth' in MP these days. The thing I don't get is why lock every freaking thing in private matches too? You should be able to use any thing do whatever in a private match with friends. This is what pisses me off more. I hope this part is fixed in KZ3.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
AmericanNinja said:
has anyone got their $20 credit from amazon yet?

I didn't know that was offered for preordering. I applied my $20 from SMG2 to this and got it for $36.99. Should ship today though, I'm psyched. :D

A.R.K said:
Thanks for mentioning this tempy :lol. Seems like every MP is doing this where you have to work your ass off to get any decent weapon/class etc (CODMW2 is brutal for a beginner too). I guess thats what they call having 'depth' in MP these days. The thing I don't get is why lock every freaking thing in private matches too? You should be able to use any thing do whatever in a private match with friends. This is what pisses me off more. I hope this part is fixed in KZ3.
:lol :lol :lol

Joke post?

You can pick up all sorts of guns in the MP games. I found a crate with the mauser which is a level 45 unlock and blasted people away with it, the basic guns do just fine.

Johnlenham said:
:lol :lol :lol

Joke post?

You can pick up all sorts of guns in the MP games. I found a crate with the mauser which is a level 45 unlock and blasted people away with it, the basic guns do just fine.
The original guy was talking about free roam which is understandable, but yeah there are boxes everywhere in MP games and in free roam which have higher level guns.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I see now that there are other modes and that multiplayer just dumps you by default in Free Roam, which is obviously not for me. I'll have to try out the other MP modes tomorrow.

Klocker

Tempy said:
I see now that there are other modes and that multiplayer just dumps you by default in Free Roam, which is obviously not for me. I'll have to try out the other MP modes tomorrow.

yes free roam is the "posse lobby"

you can access all the other PvP modes by selecting in menu or at random spots posted in Free roam map.

Rikyfree said:
Got my US Marshall outfit. Was so easy to get, plus it's bucking fadass.

This is meant to be done in Single Player?
Complete all gang hideouts in the US in less than a day
How is that possible when you don't even know where all of them are

Rikyfree

Meus Renaissance said:
This is meant to be done in Single Player?
Complete all gang hideouts in the US in less than a day
How is that possible when you don't even know where all of them are
Go explore, find them, map them out, take them down again. I did it in less that 12 hours game time after the first romp.

Top Bottom