• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

schennmu said:
Rockstar was untouchable till GTAIV. It was a good game, but questionable reviews and many bad design decisions have diminished their former glory a little bit. Lets hope for a redeem with RdR.

Odd, as GTAIV was their most accomplished game to date, if you're asking (I'm guessing you're not).

Crisco

Banned
yeah, i can't see how saying "it's like GTA4" is a criticism. there is absolutely no metric by which you can say GTA4 was anything less than a stellar product. it had it's faults for sure and suffered from an enormous amount of hype, but we're talking one of the top 5 games of this entire console generation.

Dead Man

Crisco said:
yeah, i can't see how saying "it's like GTA4" is a criticism. there is absolutely no metric by which you can say GTA4 was anything less than a stellar product. it had it's faults for sure, but we're talking one of the top 5 games of this entire console generation.
Unless you talk about the metric of my opinion... damn the GTA IV defenders are up in arms in here. Worry less about what someone thinks of that game, and more about how good this game will be.

rvy

Banned
Powercast said:
This. GTAIV was amazing, I dont get all this hate :/
x2

I still think GTA IV is one of the finest games I've ever played. It's far, far more realistic than any of the previous offerings and Nico is an awesome character. Not to mention euphoria and the fixed shooting mechanics.

Crisco

Banned
idahoblue said:
Unless you talk about the metric of my opinion... damn the GTA IV defenders are up in arms in here. Worry less about what someone thinks of that game, and more about how good this game will be.

dude, no offense, but i don't give a fuck about your opinion. there are people out there who think chocolate tastes bad and megan fox is ugly, that sure as shit doesn't make it so.

idahoblue said:

It's being used specifically as an instance of proof that RDR could potentially suck. By defending its merit, I am in turn defending that of the video game Red Dead Redemption.

Hanmik

I used to love this thread.. it was all about a game called Red Dead Redemption. Now it´s all about GTAIV..

not even my dancing John Wayne.Gif could get people back on track.

please keep this thread for what it was created for. Red Dead Redemption. Goldrusher made en amazing OP in this thread. Let´s keep it an amazing thread..

JoeBoy101

GTA IV was good, but it had a LOT of flaws. The Episodes were much, much better. I adore TBOGT, and thought TLAD was well done. If it were up to me, GTA IV would have gotten mid 80's and the Episodes would have gotten mid-90's.

RDR definitely looks like an improvement to me though. Even if you liked GTA IV, it looks like an improvement, unless you don't like western. And who doesn't like westerns?

rvy said:
It's far, far more realistic than any of the previous offerings and Nico is an awesome character.

Realistic does not mean better, I mean just look at The Getaway back on PS2. Anyways personally I feel that Rockstar really dropped the ball with GTAIV, and for me its up there with MGS4 as one of the biggest disappointments of this gen BUT I have faith that RDR is gonna be awesome after the brilliant job they did with both TLATD and TBOGT, both of which were fantastic.

Dead Man

Crisco said:
dude, no offense, but i don't give a fuck about your opinion. there are people out there who think chocolate tastes bad and megan fox is ugly, that sure as shit doesn't make it so.
Well, that was offensive! :lol You fucking idiot. You said there was no metric, I gave one. Deal with other people having different opinions or go cry in a corner.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It's being used specifically as an instance of proof that RDR could potentially suck. By defending its merit, I am in turn defending that of the video game Red Dead Redemption.
Fair enough, but it is not the same game, and it is quite possible for people to dislike GTA IV and yet want this to be good, or even enjoy it on its own merits.

JoeBoy101 said:
GTA IV was good, but it had a LOT of flaws. The Episodes were much, much better. I adore TBOGT, and thought TLAD was well done. If it were up to me, GTA IV would have gotten mid 80's and the Episodes would have gotten mid-90's.

I felt like TBoGT was the overhyped one. It completely lacked the heart and subtlety of the first two parts. I didn't care as much at all about Luis and Tony as I did for Johnny or Niko.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Odd, as GTAIV was their most accomplished game to date, if you're asking (I'm guessing you're not).

If you feel that way, great.

All I'm saying is that it's only natural that some people will be a little more cautious with the hype machine on Rockstar games than before. RdR will be compared heavily to GTAIV and its' known flaws. Something Rockstar got easily away with last generation.

Flib

BenjaminBirdie said:
Considering NY-based game developer Rockstar shut down all streams that were mentioned in this thread, this probably isn't the best arena for this conversation.

Especially if it keeps me from getting the game early.

;D

I'm 100% sure they know the usual spots...same thing happened with GTA 4, MW 2 etc...I mean, some of these places advertise specifically.

Dead Man

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
So anyways about the game.

Any update on how the duels and or mechanics play out?
Yeah, I heard about this game, it's a western, set just before WW1, it sounds pretty good.

JoeBoy101

BenjaminBirdie said:
I felt like TBoGT was the overhyped one. It completely lacked the heart and subtlety of the first two parts. I didn't care as much at all about Luis and Tony as I did for Johnny or Niko.

I thought it captured the humor alot better, and I found the banter between Luis and Tony hysterical. In an odd way it seemed like they wanted to capture the glitz, glamour, and humor aspects from GTA IV, San Andreas, and Vice City. Go a bit of the other direction away from realism so to speak. Ironically, its the one I had the most fun in. TLAD probably had the better plot though.

I was more lukewarm on RDR after playing GTA IV, but after playing the Episodes, I'm really stoked for it.

Now for something completely different...

Anybody got a breakdown on the effects of RDR's morality system effects. I know that your clothing choices change based on your honor. And of course, posses being sent out after you if you're bad. Anything else.

eznark said:
To make the GTA IV talk somewhat relevant, is the mission save structure similar to GTA IV, or is it more like Chinatown Wars, where there were checkpoints and (I think?) saving during missions? Christ I hope so.

There are checkpoints and I haven't seen if there is replay, but I imagine there is. Mission scoring ala TBOGT, no idea, but that's not a big deal to me.

eznark

Banned
To make the GTA IV talk somewhat relevant, is the mission save structure similar to GTA IV, or is it more like Chinatown Wars, where there were checkpoints and (I think?) saving during missions? Christ I hope so.

Ward

JoeBoy101 said:
Anybody got a breakdown on the effects of RDR's morality system effects. I know that your clothing choices change based on your honor. And of course, posses being sent out after you if you're bad. Anything else.

Depending on your fame NPC's will challenge you to duals. I don't know if it ties into the morality system or not.

Barrett2

Flib said:
NYC peoples:

Word is that some places in Chinatown have the game up for sale (I assume J&L) already...can anyone verify this? Videogames New York was saying Saturday last time I spoke with them.

You son of a bitch, im' trying to get work done here, don't make me get on the subway and piss away an afternoon!

Edit: just called them, the guy said Monday, but who knows.

Deepack said:
So from Magnus' impressions of the PS3 version:

- Shooting with R2/L2, can not be changed (-> buy Gioteck RealTriggers for PS3)

I got some at Amazon since they're 5 bucks (and I got 5 bucks in free mp3's). I'm not sure I understand what the huge advantage is, since I haven't played GTA IV in a long time. I assume it allows the controller to function more like the 360 controller and your fingers won't slip off as much, is that correct?

lawblob said:
You son of a bitch, im' trying to get work done here, don't make me get on the subway and piss away an afternoon!

The Home of Redman will have it tomorrow. However do I really want to give up a 20 dollar credit at Amazon?

EDIT: Not wanting to get anyone in trouble.

Flib

No one is going to get in trouble, it's the distributors who would get in trouble in any case (unless it was something like a Gamestop breaking release).

lawblob said:

And VGNY is saying maybe tomorrow. I might just wait for my Gamestop midnight...

Seanspeed

Banned
Crisco said:
yeah, i can't see how saying "it's like GTA4" is a criticism. there is absolutely no metric by which you can say GTA4 was anything less than a stellar product. it had it's faults for sure and suffered from an enormous amount of hype, but we're talking one of the top 5 games of this entire console generation.
I dont think many people would ever question the 'quality' of GTAIV.

The main issue is that it just wasn't that fun compared to old GTA's. Too much focus on needless detail, really, and the environment seemed awfully repetitive after a game like San Andreas.

So the big question is whether or Rockstar brought that 'fun' element back with RDR? Its looking like it so far, but there's no guarantee.

BenjaminBirdie said:
And VGNY is saying maybe tomorrow. I might just wait for my Gamestop midnight...

Hmm... so the chances of Toronto getting it before Monday aren't real good. I'll still give it a shot after work.

evil ways

The gamespy thing is the only thing that worries me. My experience with it from the WWE games and Mortal Kombat Deception & Armaggedon wasn't very good that I remember. Lots of dropped connections and long wait times in finding other players.

Camper182

evil ways said:
The gamespy thing is the only thing that worries me. My experience with it from the WWE games and Mortal Kombat Deception & Armaggedon wasn't very good that I remember. Lots of dropped connections and long wait times in finding other players.
What did rockstar use for gta then?

the Gamespy thing only applies to Ps3 correct?

I also find it funny that people are disappointed that it plays like GTA but in the west...Duh..

UrbanRats

30133_445709795096_51752540096_5975220_3581405_n.jpg
:lol

Tokubetsu

BenjaminBirdie said:

Glad I'm not the only one. I really loved TLAD. It was breaking my heart towards the end.

Top Bottom