• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Mik2121

newsguy said:
I'm just gonna say this, Texas Hold Em' alone took like an hour of my day lol. And the one time I busted out everyone got shot up.
Do they drop the money they got from you (doubt it), or just a preset amount?

It would be fun if you could keep playing forever and whenever you lost a huge amount, just shoot them all and get your money back :lol

Seraphis Cain said:
Demon's Souls not having voice chat was a design decision by the developers, not a limitation of the system. You're not meant to be able to communicate.

And tethered to the console while voice-chatting? It's called a bluetooth headset, yo. Might not be as nice as a full headset, but it works just fine.

I don't really think your arguments hold up.

Haha! You're just furthering my point. Your solution only makes ps3 voice chat even more inaccessible. How much is an xbox live headset? How much is a bluetooth headset? (Oh yea, and you have to charge it!)

nskinnear said:
IIRC, Demon's Souls not having voice chat was a design decision. The devs didn't want to ruin the atmosphere with constant voice chat.

I understand that; when playing with randoms. But I don't feel that holds up if you're dungeon crawling with a friend. Besides a game like Demon Soul's; which you play over and over, atmosphere becomes a moot point after the 4th new game+.

Regardless, I apologize for coming off harsh. I can see now how my comment could have been taken the wrong way. I just feel like that ps3's online support is half ass. While xbox live is how online gaming should be. (but duh, we pay for the service)

MMaRsu

Sethos said:
red-dead-redemption-20091214044156090_640w.png

like a painting :lol

MercuryLS

Banned
miladesn said:
Did GTAIV use gamespy too?

I think so. One of the downsides of having a non-unified online system in place is devs relying on shit like Gamespy, there's gotta be a better 3rd party online solution for devs to use on PS3 right?

Sethos

Banned
PS3 voice chat is fantastic though, people buying those awesome $2,99 Bluetooth headsets with so much static, hizzing and crackling you are ready to strangle a kitten after 6 minutes.

Rikyfree said:
Just go to the in game xmb and select some music to play, if it works, great. If not, oh well.

I never even knew how to do that before, because it's not a feature that I use, but I just tested it, and I could play a song from the XMB and hear it while playing the game.

I can confirm it works. Time to load up Morricone ? But I think there must be hours and hours of music that comes with it.

Death Dealer said:
I never even knew how to do that before, because it's not a feature that I use, but I just tested it, and I could play a song from the XMB and hear it while playing the game.

I can confirm it works. Time to load up Morricone ? But I think there must be hours and hours of music that comes with it.
AWESOME.

MMaRsu

Sethos said:
PS3 voice chat is fantastic though, people buying those awesome $2,99 Bluetooth headsets with so much static, hizzing and crackling you are ready to strangle a kitten after 6 minutes.

omg :lol I'm sure you'll fit right in :p.

Death Dealer said:

Fuckin sweet!!!

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis here I come!

newsguy

Mik2121 said:
Do they drop the money they got from you (doubt it), or just a preset amount?

It would be fun if you could keep playing forever and whenever you lost a huge amount, just shoot them all and get your money back :lol

I'll place in spoiler tags cause I know many want to find out first hand.

They all dropped preset amounts. The one game I played in was a $25 buy in and you all start with 250 in chips. I wonder if other saloons have cash games, you could make big money that way.

Loudninja

Death Dealer said:

Magus you try it too just to be sure ;)

Teknoman

802910b.jpg

Pretty damn good wireless headset, and it still works while its charging. Yeah things would be better if Sony was smart, and included a headset with the system, but its still easy to find a means to communicate.

Never really had any problems online with GTAIV aside from the way games were organized.

Shanks

EvaPlusMinus said:
2z4w8dj.png

I was going to change my avatar to something of this nature, but got bored and decided against it.

Someone can have this thing if they want. So long as it doesn't conflict with some other avatar.

Or with a logo:
2ir7t6q.png

I'll take it! Super slick!

Totobeni said:
B3D are laughing at us now :(

I'll just say it doesn't look quite as sharp as say Uncharted 2.
But the graphics and art are high quality. I just noticed a nice heat wave effect. I can only compare it to earlier videos but I don't notice any difference. It looks better than I expected. And I don't notice much dithering. The shadows have come a long way since GTA4.
The lighting is something to behold.

RadicalRad said:
Haha! You're just furthering my point. Your solution only makes ps3 voice chat even more inaccessible. How much is an xbox live headset? How much is a bluetooth headset? (Oh yea, and you have to charge it!)

I understand that; when playing with randoms. But I don't feel that holds up if you're dungeon crawling with a friend. Besides a game like Demon Soul's; which you play over and over, atmosphere becomes a moot point after the 4th new game+.

Regardless, I apologize for coming off harsh. I can see now how my comment could have been taken the wrong way. I just feel like that ps3's online support is half ass. While xbox live is how online gaming should be. (but duh, we pay for the service)
uh, you DO realize you can use a USB headset on the ps3 right? and ANY usb headset, not just the one Sony would sell you. Paying MS money just so you can use their proprietary goods is more half assed IMO

Haunted

Death Dealer said:

*digs out Morricone CDs*

To those with the game, do the shooting controls feel laggy? I popped in GTA4 today to reacquaint myself with the engine and felt the game was nigh unplayable in combat.

Pooya

Death Dealer said:

good, I'm leaning toward the PS3 version right now since I don't have gold membership and haven't for almost a year, I don't care about the online much, single-player is what I'm interested in, hope we get the exclusive content somehow.
Graphics does matter though, I still wait for MazingerDUDE, the game is coming out on 21th here so I can wait a few more days before I order :\.

Teknoman

Still not sure if this has been answered, but does the soundtrack for the single player, play in multiplayer as well?

If so, probably wont be messing with custom soundtracks.

NHale

sw33tclyde said:
Isn't it just timed exclusive though?

I thought that's what everyone said a page or two back.

Was this mentioned by someone besides the supposed "Rockstar member" that posted here? Because that's clearly not true. He even wrote like a 16-year old. :lol

A company that is known for being a control freak with their products would never allow someone to post here on GAF saying they are part of the Rockstar staff, even more if it included disclosing company decisions and revealing content timed exclusivity.

V_Ben

Banned
Teknoman said:
802910b.jpg

Pretty damn good wireless headset, and it still works while its charging. Yeah things would be better if Sony was smart, and included a headset with the system, but its still easy to find a means to communicate.

Never really had any problems online with GTAIV aside from the way games were organized.

fantastic headset.

Magnus

I'm still waiting for a ps3 player to suddenly discover a way to change L2/R2 to something else. I'll look like such an idiot, hahahah.

NHale said:
Was this mentioned by someone besides the supposed "Rockstar member" that posted here? Because that's clearly not true. He even wrote like a 16-year old. :lol

A company that is known for being a control freak with their products would never allow someone to post here on GAF saying they are part of the Rockstar staff, even more if it included disclosing company decisions and revealing content timed exclusivity.

Sorry I didn't realize it was he who spread the rumor. Someone else pointed this out as well, so I guess we'll just have to wait until R* releases something official on the matter.

Magnus

Someone educate me on the point of custom soundtracks. Will it replace the music in the game with randomly selected tracks from your ps3 library, while still playing in-game speech and sound effects?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Magnus said:
Someone educate me on the point of custom soundtracks. Will it replace the music in the game with randomly selected tracks from your ps3 library, while still playing in-game speech and sound effects?

Yes. You select the track/playlist tho. It's not random.

Truespeed

Magnus said:

I believe you create the set list, hence the word 'custom'. But, there may also be the option to have the game randomly select tracks.

Teknoman

Magnus said:

Its like have a constant music playlist stream over the normal in game soundtrack. In this game, it would be handy to have a western themed playlist for the multiplayer if the normal soundtrack is missing from it.

If its not there, i've got a playlist ready to go, packed with Morricone tracks, Wild ARMs, etc.

newsguy

No custom music is going to beat the procedural score in this game. While I think it's great that it's in there, I would never use it for a game in this setting.

Dabanton

newsguy said:
No custom music is going to beat the procedural score in this game. While I think it's great that it's in there, I would never use it for a game in this setting.

Agree R* are going for a certain mood and having the timings down for when the music appears will be a important part of it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Magnus said:
yes.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Truespeed said:
I believe you create the set list, hence the word 'custom'. But, there may also be the option to have the game randomly select tracks.

You can shuffle. You basically get all the options you have when playing musing in the XMB.

Teknoman

newsguy said:

I agree...as long as its in MP as well, procedural score that is.

newsguy

I was playing poker and when the camera angle changed to the person dealing the cards, there was a pedestrian outside of the window being attacked by something. I couldn't tell what it was, but I saw him writhing like crazy and something black dangling off his arm :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom