• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

TxdoHawk

Piggus said:
Nice! Now everyone can tell that "immersion" garbage to fuck off while they play their Eurobeat from the XMB.
Fixed for superior inappropriate music genre. ;)

I personally think RDR's music is awesome, but I can appreciate the idea that people may want to toss in their own, especially after they sink in a large amount of time with the game.

TxdoHawk said:
Fixed for superior inappropriate music genre. ;)

I personally think RDR's music is awesome, but I can appreciate the idea that people may want to toss in their own, especially after they sink in a large amount of time with the game.

Exactly my thoughts.

newsguy said:
I was playing poker and when the camera angle changed to the person dealing the cards, there was a pedestrian outside of the window being attacked by something. I couldn't tell what it was, but I saw him writhing like crazy and something black dangling off his arm :lol :lol :lol

:lol

It sounds like R* has nailed the chance encounters happening around you. I've seen a couple of streams and every few minutes there's someone getting attacked or chased or shot at, so awesome.

Fake Edit: Upon seeing my avatar, I was reminded of the bears I haven't had a chance to see in game yet. Can't fucking wait for random bear attacks, hopefully they're sudden and pants fillingly scary.

newsguy said:
No custom music is going to beat the procedural score in this game. While I think it's great that it's in there, I would never use it for a game in this setting.
I won't be using custom soundtracks until I finish the main story. Custom soundtracks for me is good for those times I want to just jump in and go on a rampage while fucking up as much shit as possible. I want some loud and aggressive music for that.

Gacha-pin

The custom soundtrack on PS3 is a sweet feature but doesn't it occupy about 9mb memory? I think Naughty Dog mentioned about that in the interview somewhere.
If that's the case, I want dev to use that memory to the game itself instead.

newsguy

I haven't seen a bear since I've been playing either. I went deep into the forest and threw down some bait, but all I got was a pack of wild dogs who almost killed me.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Custom soundtracks are best for MP or side mission/goofing around in SP
Custom SoundTracks are for collectibles after the game is over,or maybe once you've heard every piece of music 3 times.

newsguy said:
I haven't seen a bear since I've been playing either. I went deep into the forest and threw down some bait, but all I got was a pack of wild dogs who almost killed me.

They're in the northern territory iirc. Start riding north and take pictures if you see one!

sw33tclyde said:
I'm a fan of this one from OUaTitW(lol): Man With A Harmonica - no idea if this is the real title of the song, but that's how I found it on youtube.

It is. Terry Funk used to even use it as his intro music when wrestling in the NWA.

So psyched I just got the True Grit Soundtrack today. Looks like I'm going on a Western music comp. Damn we really really need a thread for exchanging track ideas and then when to play it lol.

Oh I highly recommend the theme to Day of Anger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0dqQ-8FOII

It got used to great effect in the Kung Fu movie Invincible Armour.

The night sky and stars look convincing. It was a full moon at the start of my game, so it was easy to see. I don't know if that will change.

The ambient noises and animals are fantastic. They animate impressively and the sound effects from the horses to the dogs to the chickens, are spot on, very realistic sounding. I wandered into a creek area at night and you don't feel alone, everything feels alive. The first area appears to be blockaded. In typical GTA fashion, all of the bridges are out.

I got to one bridge on the eastern side of the first territory, and OMG the water down below in this river looks incredible. The shaders reflecting the sunlight and the ripples in the water looked amazing.

I've noticed some occasional pop in, but it's minor compared to GTA4. Galloping around on a horse, the grass doesn't pop up in front of you, it loads it all smoothly, only once in a while you'll notice something on the horizon pop up or as you pan the camera quickly.

Isn't there a RDR special on tonight or something? Midnight?

EDIT - nevermind it was delayed until the end of the month when I won't give a fuck about watching it

Red Blaster said:
To those with the game, do the shooting controls feel laggy? I popped in GTA4 today to reacquaint myself with the engine and felt the game was nigh unplayable in combat.

This. I just tried doing a mission in TBOGT i got stuck in back in january (stupid club shooting). My god is the gunplay awful. I can't see myself finishing this. I really hope RDR is much improved in that regard.

Death Dealer said:
And I don't notice much dithering. The shadows have come a long way since GTA4.

You're talking about the PS3 version, right? It never had shadowing/dithering problems to begin with in GTAIV?!

Net_Wrecker said:
Cotdamn, how did I forget that. Great choice for entrance music.
Yep, K-1 Kickboxer Remy Bonjasky also uses it.

Does anyone think a thread discussing custom music in the game might be advisable? I mean we've got two less than 3 days to pick out some badass music and where we can get them from. I suspect Amazon might be best since it uses MP3, can the PS3 play Itunes formatted music?

schennmu said:
You're talking about the PS3 version, right? It never had shadowing/dithering problems to begin with in GTAIV?!

The shadows look better in RDR. Smoother and don't have that flickering quality. They weren't so hot in GTA4, under some of the overpasses.

The only dithering I really see in RDR is the grass in the mid background. It looks fine close up to you, and far in the distance, but I notice that pixelated look at a certain range. The trees and other foliage looks good. The only bad thing that stands out with the graphics is the aliasing. But you don't see it most of the time. The textures are good, lots of variety. I noticed the depth to the rock formations. The colors are vibrant.

Teknoman

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Yep, K-1 Kickboxer Remy Bonjasky also uses it.

Does anyone think a thread discussing custom music in the game might be advisable? I mean we've got two less than 3 days to pick out some badass music and where we can get them from. I suspect Amazon might be best since it uses MP3, can the PS3 play Itunes formatted music?

Sure, if MP doesnt use the awesome sounding SP score, this is the playlist I have so far:

2zgalpu.jpg

newsguy

sw33tclyde said:
They're in the northern territory iirc. Start riding north and take pictures if you see one!

Will do

Teknoman said:
Could you jump into MP freeroam really quick just to check? Or is online not available yet?

I was playing at a friend's house. He doesn't want to go online yet for fear of R* ninjas :lol I don't blame him though, you can never be too careful.

newsguy said:
I was playing at a friend's house. He doesn't want to go online yet for fear of R* ninjas :lol I don't blame him though, you can never be too careful.

:lol uh huuuh. If his 360 is connected they will already know.

RS4-

The shooting mechanics in RDR are far better than they ever were in the GTA games. Movement still isn't perfect, but it isn't as awkward and clunky as GTA either.

Death Dealer said:
The shadows look better in RDR. Smoother and don't have that flickering quality. They weren't so hot in GTA4, under some of the overpasses.

The only dithering I really see in RDR is the grass in the mid background. It looks fine close up to you, and far in the distance, but I notice that pixelated look at a certain range. The trees and other foliage looks good. The only bad thing that stands out with the graphics is the aliasing. But you don't see it most of the time. The textures are good, lots of variety. I noticed the depth to the rock formations. The colors are vibrant.

Thx, sounds great!

Teknoman

newsguy said:
Will do

Oh dont worry about it then :lol Wouldnt want his system to be perma banned or something.

Top Bottom