• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

painey

I never understand people saying "First thing im going to do in the game is go halfway across the map and do something I saw in a trailer". Don't they ever play Rockstar games? Theres normally about 40 missions before you can even get to most of the world map, or do that cool thing you saw in the trailer.. thats how these games work, they feed you new things drip by drip, they never give you the full game after you press start and say "here, go do what you want"

Loudninja

Dave1988 said:
[/B]

Sub par ports made by lazy developers who can get away with it because they know the game will sell on hype alone?

How is it a subpar port? like 4 people it looks great and runs well, no tearing little pop in and small load times.

Truespeed

DennisK4 said:
Well, if you played actual games some more, you might eventually be able to get the hang of inverted Y axis - the superior choice ;)

The GAF EULA states that you cannot play games or install Steam games. As for in inverting the Y, once again the EULA prevents me from doing so :)

hxa155

Jtones said:
Enough with the nagging about the PS3 version, jesus christ. Don't tell me that GTA IV on PS3 SUCKED ASS or something, because it didn't. I've played both versions, and the difference is way too small to complain about. You graphics whores should stop playing crysis.

gta is on ps3 was fine

Gorgon

mujun said:
I was looking forward to Captain Blood on the 360 though it seems to have disappeared. Is that Pirates of the Caribbean RPG still coming out?

Yep, it's still (suposedly) on track. No relase dates, though. It has the potential to be the best Pirates themed game on the market after Sid Meier's games (which ain't difficult since most other games are either shit shovelware, low budget or a combination of both :lol ). Pirates games have HUGE sales potential if developers put the money and effort into it. Rockstar would be a perfect choice for that. I concede that, except for production values, they would probably not be the best choice for a Cyberpunk game, though.

raviolico said:
don`t underestimate the R* stamp on it.
show my one open world fantasy game that is as competent, big budgeted
in terms of technology and immersive calibre as the GTA4/RDR gameworld.

Oh, I don't understimate the sales power of a R* stamp, the same way I don't underestimste the capacity for Bioware or Bethesda to sell 3 million copies of a boxed turd with a nice logo on it if they wished. It's just that R* woudn't be my first choice for an open-ended fantasy "RPG". But I woudn't mind if they tried. Surely it coudn't be worse than what we are getting this days :lol

Definity said:
I'm still trying to decide if I want to use normal or expert aiming. Expert aiming is well kinda tough. There is absolutely zero auto aim and it becomes quite difficult when hunting or when surrounded.

Normal mode snaps you to a target for a few seconds and you can then strategically place a few shots if you want by moving the reticule around. The lock doesn't last forever though if your enemy is moving, meaning you would need to snap back to the target again.

For the folks playing it so far are you using normal or expert aiming? I like a challenge but at the same time I want the balance that is most enjoyable.

I had planned on going expert but after hearing comments like this/watching gameplay footage, I thinking I'm also gonna give normal a try.

I see it like this, if it's more Crackdown than I'm okay with that ...if it's more GTAIV IE: no skill and completely removes challenge, then no way

eshock

AgentOtaku said:
I had planned on going expert but after hearing comments like this/watching gameplay footage, I thinking I'm also gonna give normal a try.

I see it like this, if it's more Crackdown than I'm okay with that ...if it's more GTAIV IE: no skill and completely removes challenge, then no way

"Casual" aiming is the one that's nearly identical to GTA4, if anybody actually wants that.

eshock said:
"Casual" aiming is the one that's nearly identical to GTA4, if anybody actually wants that.

A ha, thanks then

sounds like Normal isn't so bad then. Especially sounds like a necessity for the horse back riding firefights...

Zeliard

I imagine what could get tricky/annoying with dual analogs and "expert" aiming is gun battles off horseback.

Ah, beaten by a millisecond. Bastard! :)

Gorgon

miladesn said:
terrorists!:lol

Wind Waker was good, something like that with large scale naval combat.. must have for me.

Large scale? No, what we want is more focused combat between a limited number of vessels, concentrating on boarding the enemy's vessel with brutal mayhem, explosions, dismemberment, etc all powered by glorious Euphoria. And R*'s witty writting would be fucking perfect for such a game.

witness

Sorry if its been answered already, but is the extra ps3 content on the disc or is it a code voucher? I'm asking because I use gamefly.

JoeBoy101

Searching bodies for money and items?!? For godsakes R*, all you have to do is add character skills and levelling and you got RPG gold. A little dialogue system. You're so almost completely there.

And fuck the haters, HD gameplay Vids look great.

EDIT: Love the marshal's office cutscene.
The prisoner cheering you on to shoot the deputy and then him disappointed when the marshal breaks it up.

sdornan

Thanks for this link.

Best thing posted in last several pages.

JoeBoy101 said:
Searching bodies for money and items?!? For godsakes R*, all you have to do is add character skills and levelling and you got RPG gold. A little dialogue system. You're so almost completely there.

That opens up a whole nother can of worms.

Tek

I think its funny how one dude almost totally derailed this entire thread. I bailed out of the Alan Wake thread when all the sub hd talk started and almost did the same here.

I'm from the atari generation, we played basketball games with stick figures and a block ball.

s_Basketball_1.png

So let my try to sum things up on the tech side. So many misinformed people here.

What we know:

Xbox 360 version runs at 720p with 2XAA according to "pro" pixel counter MazingerDUDE.

What we suspect:

PS3 version is most likely sub hd. Has been speculated for months and was the same for GTAIV and Midnight club.

A resolution of 640p (which is not too far away from 720p) seems likely at the moment.

All we have right now are extremely bad off screen grabs from the PS3 version:

http://img571.imageshack.us/i/1050023.jpg/
http://img441.imageshack.us/i/1050026.jpg/
http://img683.imageshack.us/i/1050028.jpg/
http://img718.imageshack.us/i/1050029.jpg/
http://img59.imageshack.us/i/1050031u.jpg/
http://img514.imageshack.us/i/1050032.jpg/
http://img594.imageshack.us/i/1050030.jpg/
http://img210.imageshack.us/i/1050027.jpg/

MazingerDUDE had the following to say, based off the screenshots:

MazingerDUDE said:
I'd need direct grabs for some accurate analysis, but taking a possibility of overscan into account, the game probably runs at the same res as GTA4 (640P).

What we don't know:

Framerate on both versions
GTAIV initially ran about 10% better on Xbox 360. Episodes from Liberty City gave the PS3 engine a boost and improved the framerate up to par to the 360 version. Midnight Club sports a higher framerate on the PS3 (source: Digital Foundry)

Dithering on Xbox 360
GTAIV on Xbox 360 had heavy problems with dithered textures and shadows, decreasing the overall image quality greatly. This led to people preferring the PS3 version, even though it was inferior from a pure technical point of view. (720p 2XAA vs. 640p with blur filter)
(Digital Foundry, Quaz51 and IGN are prominent sources)

Update: Judging from the footage we've seen so far, the shadowing issue has been greatly improved, if not resolved. The issue still seems to be visible on trees though. A direct feed comparison with the PS3 version is necessary.

PS3 Anti Aliasing
The original GTA IV PS3 had no AA, just a blur filter. Selective Quincunx AA has been added to the engine with the release of the DLC packs. Midnight Club implies Quincunx AA as well. An absence of any form of AA in RdR would be a disappointment.

Tearing
PS3 GTAIV is v-locked, 360 version had very slight tearing

Pop in
GTAIV streaming was pretty identical on both consoles.

UrbanRats

Tek said:
I think its funny how one dude almost totally derailed this entire thread. I bailed out of the Alan Wake thread when all the sub hd talk started and almost did the same here.

I'm from the atari generation, we played basketball games with stick figures and a block ball.

s_Basketball_1.png
Man, those pixels are SHARP! :eek:

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Wow, GAF. Been away from the thread a few days can't we all just get along.. :lol

About the game I read several pages back that there is a
Bigfoot
to be hunted? Is this true?

I know the first thing I'm doing (as long as you start off with a gun) is ride to the forest and just start hunting. Then once it starts getting dark I'll ride to the nearest vista and take in the sunset, pitch a camp and prepare to the same the next day. Honestly, with this game I really don't care to much if at all about the story and completing missions. I just want to relax in the wilderness.

Just a few more days.. I'm doing good about not watching the streams or recorded footage.

Pooya

schennmu said:
Dithering on Xbox 360
GTAIV on Xbox 360 had heavy problems with dithered textures and shadows, decreasing the overall image quality greatly. This led to people preferring the PS3 version, even though it was inferiour from a pure technical point of view.
Shadows look great in 360 videos and shots, it's nothing like GTA IV.

Truespeed

For those that haven't seen a well edited preview of the multi-player modes here's a video with fine narration. The Mexican standoff sold me on how fun this game looks. Link

Dennis

Banned
schennmu said:
So let my try to sum things up on the tech side. So many misinformed people here.

*great summary*
Nice work. And I have to say to the people bitching about the tech-talk: people with both a 360 and a PS3 (lots of gaffers for sure) have a pretty obvious interest in finding out what the differences between the versions are.

Lakitu

st5fu
God... I'm contemplating trading in some 360 / PS3 games but I just can't do it... the only games I'd have no qualms about trading in are Pro Evolution Soccer 5, Too Human, Perfect Dark Zero and Tony Hawk's Project 8 though I doubt I'd even get £10 for those altogether. I have around 50 or so 360 / PS3 games.

Mad_Ban

schennmu said:
PS3 Anti Aliasing
GTA IV PS3 had no AA, just a blur filter. Midnight Club implies Quincunx AA. An absence of any form of AA would be a disappointment.
GTA IV on PS3 used selective QAA.

DeadGzuz

Banned
schennmu said:
PS3 Anti Aliasing
GTA IV PS3 had no AA, just a blur filter. Midnight Club implies Quincunx AA. An absence of any form of AA would be a disappointment.

Stories added QAA.

Edit: Beaten.

I suspect this is just a modified GTA engine, expect nothing more from it.

Lakitu said:
God... I'm contemplating trading in some 360 / PS3 games but I just can't do it... the only games I'd have no qualms about trading in are Pro Evolution Soccer 5, Too Human, Perfect Dark Zero and Tony Hawk's Project 8 though I doubt I'd even get £10 for those altogether. I have around 50 or so 360 / PS3 games.

Think of it this way... your collection would look better without those games, and even better with RDR.

FrankT

schennmu said:
We need direct feed daylight footage before final judgement.

Actually no it's pretty clear in these videos it is night and day from GTA on that end. Pretty much the first thing I checked was the trees heh.

nskinnear said:
:lol He got booted off Live right when something awesome was about to happen!

Guy keeps getting booted.

Top Bottom