• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

Magnus

Well guys, the 360 version arrived too. I'm gonna try and snag it to do some comparisons tonight.

The problem is, so did Alan Wake, Prince of Persia and Galaxy may arrive in a few days. Argh lol

Magnus said:
I imagine the answer is something crazy technical that won't be comprehensible to me. Is it that the source material isn't actually HD, but the game's possibly being upscaled to 720p? How would we even be able to tell?

Modern renderers don't work by rendering everything to a certain final on-screen resolution, but use a combination of techniques and buffers to compose the final detail-rich frames, optimizing to improve the visual experience and game performance.

Red Dead Redemption's renderer on the PS3 uses multiple different intermediate render targets in different resolutions, color depths and anti-alias settings for different purposes. :D

Looking at that direct X360 screen capture, I can see the difference in the buildings' wood textures - less stair stepping on X360.

The lighting may have a subtle difference. To answer my earlier question, yes the moon does change phases. I've seen a full moon and a crescent. Sometimes at night, things take on an eerie glow. And just to say it again, the shadows look really good.

640p, 600p, 540p, I don't know, but for people who haven't played it, don't worry, PS3 RDR doesn't have that blurry look like GTA4. Sometimes I've been stunned at how awesome the textures do look. There is an occasional lower detailed one, but the world is so huge, it's not unexpected. I've spent around 5-6 hours playing now, mostly just killing and rampaging, :) and I've barely rode through 1/4 of the first territory. There are epic vistas. Where you can see miles into the distance. Looks just like pictures you see of the canyons of Utah and Arizona. I found a roaring waterfall. The landscapes are so beautiful.

Frame rate is good, it doesn't tear. The graphics are great, some jagginess here and there, but you don't notice the aliasing as much in the country side.

FrankT

Magnus said:
Well guys, the 360 version arrived too. I'm gonna try and snag it to do some comparisons tonight.

The problem is, so did Alan Wake, Prince of Persia and Galaxy may arrive in a few days. Argh lol

Lucky dude.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Call it puerile, but I want this game to beat GTAIV's review average. Considering that the core game is similar, but that RDR has much, much more content, it should take the damn honors.

Chris_C

Magnus said:

Oh, you poor, poor man!

Branson

Magnus said:

Thanks man, even after all of these comparisons, I'm still torn between 360 or PS3. PS3 I might have slightly more friends to play with but 360 is the only console with direct screens...and it looks beautiful. Some of my ps3 friends also have 360 too...Grrr. :lol

Magnus

So "the game is sub HD!" would kind of be a misnomer of a criticism as well, by the sounds of it? And we can't even really tell unless we can see the game code or whatever? Fuck it, game's gorgeous. Who cares. Haha. Thanks for the responses though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Magnus said:
So "the game is sub HD!" would kind of be a misnomer of a criticism as well, by the sounds of it? And we can't even really tell unless we can see the game code or whatever? Fuck it, game's gorgeous. Who cares. Haha. Thanks for the responses though.

That's true, it really only depends on how much you're enjoying it. Though it's a bit funny to see some users here defending it feverishly who were up in arms over at the Alan Wake thread, it was a non-issue then, as it is now.

Magnus said:

you can be of great value to this thread though. it's derailing every other hour.
an objective comparison would be greatly apreciated.

- jaggies (aliassing)
- framerate
- textures
- sharpness/ blur..

thanx mate :)

The only thing we know about the ps3 version is that if you play it on a SD tube screen, it's not HD. Let's all be sure to write that down.

Now slightly OT and I need some advice. To pass the time until this comes out, I've decided that it's time to replace my 10 year old speaker cables and re-wire my whole sound system.
I know nothing about this at all and unless otherwise stated, I'm going to do this cheap. Is there any actual benefit to putting some more money into the wires. I have a digital 5.1 system.

X26

Banned
soundscream said:
Does anyone know if we can wear some Tombstone like outfits?

tombstone.jpg

in one of the trailers he's wearing something very similar to the second on the left

JWong

Banned
miladesn said:
here is all we know:
720p 2xMSAA

PS3
resolution unknown (MazingerDUDE thinks it's subHD)
600MB install
Gamespy for online
exclusive content: gang outfit and gang hideout for US only
Custom soundtrack is supported
that's all.
US only include Canada? >_>;;

Gamespy for online?

Schrade

Watching this game is like watching a western on TV. I just leave it running while I'm browsing. The music, the sound effects, the environments are all awesome.

I want this on the PC :( I might have to settle for my PS3 but I think I'll wait some more.

ACE 1991

TheCardPlayer said:
Call it puerile, but I want this game to beat GTAIV's review average. Considering that the core game is similar, but that RDR has much, much more content, it should take the damn honors.

GTA4's #1 reason for getting such high marks was that it had a multi-faceted, relate-able character with an interesting and thought provoking story surrounding him. (This is all compared to other games mind you, let's not get into the whole "OSCAR WORTHY" bullshit.) I'm sure RDR will have this with John, but so have other games since GTA4.

NHale

Skiesofwonder said:
I hope the review embargo being held back till release date won't cause the "GTA4" effect on reviewers this time.

Last Thursday there was still a couple of sites that didn't receive their review copy.

MMaRsu

ACE 1991 said:
GTA4's #1 reason for getting such high marks was that it had a multi-faceted, relate-able character with an interesting and thought provoking story surrounding him. (This is all compared to other games mind you, let's not get into the whole "OSCAR WORTHY" bullshit.) I'm sure RDR will have this with John, but so have other games since GTA4.

GtaIV doesn't have a relatable character :lol

Truespeed

Magnus said:

Not really. If you placed an HD version of the game next to the sub HD version you would see clear differences in detail. Also, the internal resolution can easily be obtained by a technique called pixel counting that counts the number of vertical and horizontal steps within a range of pixels to determine the exact resolution of the internal frame buffer. Sub HD is often resorted to when the developer cannot internally render a 720p image without being impacted by significant performance issues. In the case of GTA IV, the game was rendered at 640p because rendering it at 720p would have impacted the frame rate significantly in the eyes of Rockstar.

MMaRsu said:
I thought the story was bland and cliche but the characters were outstanding (maybe not relatable). Seriously Brucie and Roman and Jacob (even packie) were really unique and fun to talk to.

edIT: Also, does anyone have an answer to my speaker wire question.

dread9

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Believe it or not, he is somewhat relatable, I mean the whole contract killing stuff no, but being an immigrant to a new country, seeking revenge, having family problems yadda yadda. I thought it was pretty deep and accurate.

When you fire with R2, do you have to press it all the way in for the input to register? (like in GTAIV) Or do you just have to slightly touch it (Borderlands)

Thanks again

MMaRsu

BobTheFork said:
I thought the story was bland and cliche but the characters were outstanding (maybe not relatable). Seriously Brucie and Roman and Jacob (even packie) were really unique and fun to talk to.

edIT: Also, does anyone have an answer to my speaker wire question.

Oh there are cool characters in GTAIV, I didn't say that there weren't :p.

AgentOtaku said:
When you fire with R2, do you have to press it all the way in for the input to register? (like in GTAIV) Or do you just have to slightly touch it (Borderlands)

Thanks again

Someone said that you just have to tap it lightly, not go all the way.

MMaRsu said:
Oh there are cool characters in GTAIV, I didn't say that there weren't :p.
oh I know, I just didn't think they were so un-relatable. There came across like real odd NY people, but how much can you really relate to any character in a video game that has such super-reality circumstances?

Magnus

AgentOtaku said:

Thanks again
Nope, light touch works!

I like how the mods aren't insisting on pics to prove they have legit early copies! Haha

remember the XIII thread? Lol

soldat7

~Kinggi~ said:
Well, let us all hope all those Rockstar employees being worked like slaves get some mega bonus out of this.

I suspect that much of the work is being handled directly by the various website administrators rather than R* themselves. Threatening legal verbiage will have that effect on you.

noisome07

Banned
ACE 1991 said:

Of all the world’s game developers, only Rockstar would even dream of a passage of such relevant hilarity. No other game developer has been so willing, and quite so able, to riff on the real world rather than sticking to elves or dragons or aliens or fantasized battlefields.

In the more than 1,100 articles I have written for this newspaper since 1996, I have never before called anything a tour de force. Yet there is no more succinct and appropriate way to describe Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar rides again.

LogicStep

So is this game more of a play online with your friends game or more of a SP game? I'm trying to decide if I should get this day 1 or wait for a price drop.

Top Bottom