• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption |OT| Whistling Morricone in the desert

dread9

Banned
Im so pumped now, feel my nips!
tumblr_kq1miq8iRC1qzwprno1_400.png

deathsight580 said:
So is this game more of a play online with your friends game or more of a SP game? I'm trying to decide if I should get this day 1 or wait for a price drop.
both. It'll have a nice sp campaign, with lots of side stuff to do (lots of people reporting doing things like playing poker or hunting animals for hours at a time), then add in multiple online modes, and you've got a nice balanced game that should give hundreds of hours of fun.

man, that sounded like I work for rockstar pr or something. /viral marketing

Cant0na

Banned
ARRGG

i got nothing to play now but tuesday theres this and alanwake at the same time. fuck

why cant one be this week and one in another. fuck you publishers

Tonza

Just finished season 1 of Deadwood. So good.
I especially like the season finale. Great stuff.

Hopefully the game delivers on the same scale.

Rikyfree

My soundtrack for this game is as follows (note that alot is taken from the Kill Bill OST's):

From Mr. Morricone:
The Mission
Cockeye's Song
Viva la Revolucion
La Ragion Pura
Per un Pugno de Dollari
For a Few Dollars More
L'Estasi Dell'Oro
C'era Una Volta Il West
L'Uomo Dell' Armanica
Il Buono, Il Brutto, Il Cattivo
From Man to Man (Death Rides a Horse)
Il Tramonto
L'Arena
A Silhouette of Doom

Various Artists:
Seven Notes in Black
The Grand Duel (Parte Prima)
Long Day of Vengeance
Day of Anger
Sunny Road to Salina
Crane-White Lightning
The Lonely Shepherd
Tu Mira
Summertime Killer
Malaguena Salerosa

That's my song selection after I finish the game. What's yours?

ACE 1991

deathsight580 said:
So is this game more of a play online with your friends game or more of a SP game? I'm trying to decide if I should get this day 1 or wait for a price drop.

SP is undoubtedly the main draw. but the MP is nothing to scoff at seems to be more meaty than say GTA4.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
deathsight580 said:
Both....whatever you feel like at the time.

ACE 1991

beelzebozo said:
hell of a review. i'm very interested, despite gta aversion.

Yeah, I'm sure R* didn't mind breaking the embargo with this one. Although that may due in partial because the NY times doesn't score games so therefore won't effect metacritic.

Verapamil

Banned
ACE 1991 said:

Dammit I was on the fence -

NYT said:
Along the way, he and his creators conjure such a convincing, cohesive and enthralling reimagination of the real world that it sets a new standard for sophistication and ambition in electronic gaming.

In the more than 1,100 articles I have written for this newspaper since 1996, I have never before called anything a tour de force. Yet there is no more succinct and appropriate way to describe Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar rides again.

soldat7

NYTimes said:
Red Dead Redemption teems with characters you may never forget. Of course I am sure it is purely a coincidence that the addled, Gollumlike grave robber that Marston enlists on his mission is named Seth. Rockstar’s creative trademark has always been a mordant, knowing wit.

Seth? Why is that significant?

PowderedToast

"Along the way, he and his creators conjure such a convincing, cohesive and enthralling reimagination of the real world that it sets a new standard for sophistication and ambition in electronic gaming."

oh fuck off

Klocker

interesting note regarding the Rage engine

Technology
While GTA IV was hailed as a crowning achievement in technology for the open-world genre with its expansive and detailed world, physics system and Euphoria, the game engine Rockstar North used was actually developed by Rockstar San Diego. The RAGE engine was originally built for Red Dead Redemption (and was shown off in tech-demo form at E3 in 2005), but has since found itself as the company's staple development architecture; evolving as needed to cater for anything being built within the collective Rockstar studios' walls. What this means, however, is that while the engine is available to everyone within Rockstar, the team who know it best are clearly the guys who built it. And all the while it was being tweaked and moulded to bring us GTA IV, San Diego were in development with Red Dead Redemption; learning from mistakes or shortcomings essentially tested with GTA IV.

Dabanton

ACE 1991 said:
Where did the whole "oscar worthy story" thing come from? was it a quote from the press, or just something that forum posters screamed?

IGN review.

And it's been used to bash the game ever since.

Barrett2

NY Times said:
In the more than 1,100 articles I have written for this newspaper since 1996, I have never before called anything a tour de force. Yet there is no more succinct and appropriate way to describe Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar rides again.

Oh my fucking god.

Mount up, GAF!! We got a western to explore! *wildly fires pistols in air*

szaromir

Banned
Dabanton said:
IGN review.

The review had many more false statements - it's obvious why the review was posted before review embargo and after half a year of IGN-exclusive GTA4 previews. I'm really surprised it never escalated into a bigger scandal.

Loxley

ACE 1991 said:
Where did the whole "oscar worthy story" thing come from? was it a quote from the press, or just something that forum posters screamed?

A couple of review outlets (I believe IGN was one of them) claimed GTA IV had an Oscar worthy story.

Thing is, reading GAF, you could be mistaken for thinking every single review that gave GTA IV positive remarks made that claim. The fact is only a small minority actually did (I think I read maybe two), what's more, most of the reviews I read that had something to say about the writing in GTA IV described it as a "Hollywood-caliber" story. Not "Oscar-worthy".

But GAF has an overwhelming number of GTA IV haters, and like to site the overzealous reviews as an excuse to shit on the game itself.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Camper182 said:
could i PLEASE get a good quality stream in a PM, everytime i ask for it, i get ignored.

I don't have one. Sorry.

I'll post what I said to a friend on twitter, re: Seth's review:

I always do my best to remember that he's writing for an audience who needs to read that sort of shit to even give a purchase a second thought. It makes it slightly more readable. Maybe one day the mainstream press can publish meaningful reviews, too.

Also, I have to wonder: I'd never write something like this because I've never felt so strongly (and because I strive to produce critique that's relevant to the discussion of the medium at large, not just as consumer report.) What if I played something that made me want to write "tour-de-force" or "changes everything" or any of the rest of that shit? Would I?

(All that said, I'm still pissed at Seth for his Beatles Rock Band baby-boomer love in. What absolute shit.)

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
Dabanton said:
IGN review.

My biggest complaint about that review was that it was eighty pages long and filled with non-review. It read like advertising copy. It was a feature list with flowery text, and exactly no thesis to tie it together (beyond "buy this game.")

I'm not an asshole, and I don't think that they were paid off to do this (despite the fact that my history calling out IGN over the MusicHub shit suggests that I'd be willing to do that.) But it's their job to produce meaningful, critical writing in response to product given to them. That GTA review was not that.

Full disclosure: I loved GTA4 to death, and never turned on it. So there.

Klocker

holy crap, this thread is like riding in a model T in 1908... banged and bumped around with no real roads and no idea where we will end up. :lol

Definity

Holy Shit at these treasure maps...I can't find a darn thing by looking at them. :lol

This will prove to be a good challenge for all the folks looking to go for 100%.

edbrat

I've cracked and preordered limited edition for ps3, been loving open world stuff recently, replayed gta4 and both expansions in the last couple of months and am up to 40 hours in Just Cause 2. Timing is perfect and this looks so so good.

alfmac

Neo Member
Guys, i know someone already asked it, but is there any Ennio Morricone's song in RDR?
However have i read bad, or can i listen on PS3 other songs from HD with this game?

Thank you guys.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Definity said:
Holy Shit at these treasure maps...I can't find a darn thing by looking at them. :lol

This will prove to be a good challenge for all the folks looking to go for 100%.
Hopefully not as bad as generators in JC2.... :(

~Kinggi~

Banned
Definity said:

Damn, you can find buried treasure in the game!?!

Top Bottom