• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replaying Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Red Dolphin said:
Game was ok. Awesome soundtrack and atmosphere but the gameplay was a little bland.

Does anyone remember Dyack hyping a feature to do with the ability to create your own custom spells that even the developers of the game might not discover? Something along those lines...

Whatever it was, it went in the same garbage bin as Warren Spector's "black market biomods with both advantages and disadvantages!" for DX: IW.

hirokazu

i stopped playing ED during that persian dude's stage, iirc. i liked the game in a way, but the controls weren't too great, i'll get back to it sometime, but i've got a whole lot of other stuff to play through too.

*SOMEWHAT OF A SPOILER*

I've discussed this to death, and I'm only going to say this: those who saw the real ending and thought it was worthless are not thinking hard enough. Let your mind mull over the entire game with some of the knowledge you have now and watch as you realize that not a single aspect of the game was as it seemed. Easily the most clever story of any video game.

Solid

This wallpaper is so cool.

11eternal_darkness_105.jpg

Too bad I can't find a 1280x1024 version of it :(

wazoo

Eternal Darkness (together with Ubi Soft last year's offerings) gave me back respect for western games.

DCX

DCX
I loved it. It was kinda refreshing. The spell casting, the story, the "Sanity Effects"...just outweighed the negatives..plain gameplay, weak visuals.

DCX

akascream

Banned
I was really hyped up the first time I played this game. I was let down and didn't even finish it. Later I went in without any expectations and enjoyed the game very much. The sanity system is completely broken, you can just cast a spell to make it go away. The mechanics and magic are passable, but the story and settings just pulled me in.

shibbs

Well, i just booted up the game again. Chapter 9 (2nd world war).
Kinda got me exited again, so ill play some more tonight.

I loved everything about ED, with the exception of the final battle, which is probably the most pathetic I've seen. But in the end I didn't care, because it was a great experience. :p

I would be thrilled to see a sequel.

Eternal Darkness is probably one of my favorite games on GC. I even liked the final battle. Yeah, it was easy, but I thought the execution was great...
Getting to play as characters who died because of Pious/the ancients and ultimately helping to kill him was pretty neat, and I liked the little cut scenes of the ancients fighting it out that would interrupt your battle every once in a while.

A lot of people like to hate on the game, but I can tell that SK really put a lot of time, effort, and love into making this game, and it met and probably even exceeded my expectations :)

BTW, my favorite chapter is probably Max's. I love his autopsies. They're so over the top yet so perfect at the same time.

thom

Remember when ED was first coming out and they had a small indie filmmaker contest?

Some of these little movies were pretty good and the rumoured disc featuring them all I'm

sure has evaporated.

Does anybody have any of these movies? If so hook a brother up.

JasoNsider said:
*SOMEWHAT OF A SPOILER*

I've discussed this to death, and I'm only going to say this: those who saw the real ending and thought it was worthless are not thinking hard enough. Let your mind mull over the entire game with some of the knowledge you have now and watch as you realize that not a single aspect of the game was as it seemed. Easily the most clever story of any video game.

Unless of course you've played Shadow of Destiny, which takes the whole "rethink what you've been doing" concept and does it better.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Crazymoogle said:
Unless of course you've played Shadow of Destiny, which takes the whole "rethink what you've been doing" concept and does it better.

Couldn't agree more.

Solid

I beat the game for the second time last night. And as soon as I woke up this morning I started playing it for the third time! I'm currently surveying the Forbidden City with that Mancini guy. I'm on a ED roll! :D

Solid

I beat it for the third time tonight. What did I think about the special ending? Well... it wasn't that bad and it wasn't that good. But still okay. It feels great to have unlocked everything though. Now I have the long anticipated Chapter Selection and Eternal Mode! Weee! :D

Now bring on SK's next project!

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Deepthroat said:
I beat it for the third time tonight. What did I think about the special ending? Well... it wasn't that bad and it wasn't that good. But still okay. It feels great to have unlocked everything though. Now I have the long anticipated Chapter Selection and Eternal Mode! Weee! :D

Now bring on SK's next project!
Eternal mode would be more fun if the sanity meter wasn't effected by it too.

Solid

Hey thanks for the link trippingmartian. Totally missed your post.

"Lastly, Dyack said that after MGS just watch out because Silicon Knights has some incredible work on the way. He said that he?s learned so much from the creator of Metal Gear and Miyamoto that their next project is going to be a killer."

That's the main reason I so badly want one more game from them this generation. I hope they announce something soon. Or at least say what the hell they're planning. I don't like when companies don't let the fans know what they are up to. Or at least give them a hint.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Society said:
Were Nintendo and SK split up at that point?
Edit - I'll be nice....

No. They were not split up at this point. The split happened shortly after TTS' release.

Eric-GCA

Banned
One of the reason's I hope SK says something about their next project soon is that it may offer a window into why the companies split up so suddenly, then they become so cryptic in saying it was due to "creative differences" which means pretty much nothing.

In the end, I guess it'll probably be decided that the split happened due to Nintendo changing directions with second parties (ie. dumping them) or just the fact that SK's games didn't sell so well.

Top Bottom